Death and Funeral of Grand Duke Jean: April 23 & May 4, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Might be just me but I find it a bit tacky having such photos taken only hours after the funeral of the Grand Duke.
I fully agree with you. The photos in question are awkward.

It is most unfortunate that Emperor Naruhito or the IHA decided not to send anyone to represent the family at the funeral.

Last edited:
Might be just me but I find it a bit tacky having such photos taken only hours after the funeral of the Grand Duke.
It was posted 11/12 hours ago (depending on the account); so it seems to have been taken yesterday evening. Taking a picture like this is one thing, sharing it on social media something else.

It was posted 11/12 hours ago (depending on the account); so it seems to have been taken yesterday evening. Taking a picture like this is one thing, sharing it on social media something else.
It was taken yesterday during a dinner. There's also a clip in Prince Charles Instagram story

That would make more sense than directly afterwards ,perhaps who ever posted it could have waited a few days before posting it out of respect.

I just watched the funeral (thanks for the video An Ard Ri). An nice selection of music and an excellent choir, as was the case for the wedding of the HGD.

A dignified and fitting farewel for the Grand Duke, who was much loved and who led a rich and long life.

Nice that they allowed photos to be made of the reception. It seems that the prince of Monaco was showing the Queen of Denmark something on his phone.

Last edited:

Funerals are often one of the few occasions all or mostly all members of a family gather at the same time. They took advantage of the opportunity.
Our large and scattered family has done this.

It is most unfortunate that Emperor Naruhito or the IHA decided not to send anyone to represent the family at the funeral.

They had another event they were committed to attending at home:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice tributes from the Irish Guards. In addition to the pipers, the gun carriage on which the coffin was carried was a gift from the IG.

The timing of posting the pictures is questionable. However, many extended family members usually see each other at only funerals or weddings. My Aunt died last year and we took group pictures --- only because it's the rare occasion when you get so many family members in one room together.

Agree, i recognize this too from my (quite large) family, and especially when the deceased has lived to a grand old age..

Gabriel and Noah did very well today guided by their father. I’m sure their parents are very proud.

I don't think the photos are awkward but posting them on social media shortly before or shortly after you have attended a funeral is something i would not do. I would have waited a day or 2 to post happy pictures to show respect to the closest.

The Japanese Imperial Family had the public greeting today and probably ordered everyone to remain in Tokyo. But if they would allow the married former Princess'es to continue to represent the IHA, upon request, they would certainly have been able to send someone. Like the sister of the current Emperor for example.

The hostess does not wear a hat in her house. She removed her hat. The other ladies kept it on for the little intermezzo before leaving Luxembourg.

The Grand Duchess was hatless during the service in the cathedral. I noticed that as well, as she was clearly the only one.

Can someone please tell me who are the last and gentleman standing next to the Prince of Monaco in the funeral? They were at the corner and not covered well by cameras from the front..

Ok I got it. They are the hereditary prince and princess of Lichtenstein

Very, very impressive. ..as Marengo pointed out the choir was simply sublime. During the Communion of the Mass
they sang the very beautiful Ave Verum Corpus.
The same Mozart composition was sung at the rites for the Count of Paris a couple of months ago. I was also delighted to hear Abide With Me sung in English.

I noticed the Duke of Anjou smirking and rolling his eyes at something during the Eucharist?:ermm:

Oh well. Magnificent farewell to a great man.

Last edited:
I noticed the Duke of Anjou smirking and rolling his eyes at something during the Eucharist?:ermm:

Well Prince Charles Lobkowitz sitting next to him never shut up during the whole ceremony so I guess it was a reaction to that.
Don't we all have that one relative who can never keep their mouth shut even at funerals [emoji23]

Well Prince Charles Lobkowitz sitting next to him never shut up during the whole ceremony so I guess it was a reaction to that.
Don't we all have that one relative who can never keep their mouth shut even at funerals [emoji23]

And right in front of Charles his cousin Carlos was seated. I wonder when they last met each other as they are on opposite sides in the Bourbon Parma family rift with Charles' mother Maria Francisca (according to the guest list also present) siding with her youngest brother Sixtus and the other siblings siding with Carlos (and previously his father Carlos Hugo).

And right in front of Charles his cousin Carlos was seated. I wonder when they last met each other as they are on opposite sides in the Bourbon Parma family rift with Charles' mother Maria Francisca (according to the guest list also present) siding with her youngest brother Sixtus and the other siblings siding with Carlos (and previously his father Carlos Hugo).
Aha! I knew recognised one of the ladies from somewhere! It his mum!
I wonder when the cousins did meet. Since Charles isn't shy at all about documenting his life on Instagram I'm sure we'd know if he met any of his Dutch cousins.

I barely recognized the Duke of Parma. He has swollen in appearance. I hope his health is okay, that it is because of (too) good appetite and not because of medication or so. It would be good when this ridiculous "carlist feud" is ended for once and for all. Let this gathering of aunt Marie-Françoise de Lobkowicz-de Bourbon de Parme and nephew Carlos be a start. That would certainly be in the spirit of the late Grand-Duke Jean who must have had is own thoughts on the vaudeville in his paternal House.

I wonder when the cousins did meet. S

Perhaps also in Luxembourg as all of them who attended the funeral also attended the Wedding there in 2012.

The hostess does not wear a hat in her house. She removed her hat. The other ladies kept it on for the little intermezzo before leaving Luxembourg.

But this happens to be God’s house while in the cathedral on a very different occasion which is not about the grand duchess. Even doña Sofia who doesn’t normally wear a hat or mantilla to mass covered her head in respect.

If a member of the luxemb. grand ducal family would have posted a photo like this, may be. But these people are so distantly related or familiar (are they "related" at all?!) to the deceased one or his family, I think there is nothing wrong with it. I mean, how often have they really met GD Jean....?

There was nothing she could remove as she didn´t wear a hat all day long!

I do miss these royal state funerals when ladies wore long black dresses, veils and their orders, too, last being watched at King Olavs funeral back in 1991!:ermm::sad:

There was nothing she could remove as she didn´t wear a hat all day long!

I do miss these royal state funerals when ladies wore long black dresses, veils and their orders, too, last being watched at King Olavs funeral back in 1991!:ermm::sad:

That is really too 19th C. It would be completely ridiculous in 2019 to have extremely veiled ladies with invisible faces at a royal funeral. And why have the ladies to cover theirs and the gentlemen not? MeToo peeping here.

I thought the Grand-Duchess wore a little hat but I see I swapped her for another one. Yes strange indeed, like Màxima, Maria Teresa comes from a country where ladies use to cover the head when attending Mass. Mathilde has the same habit.

I was in Luxembourg the last 2 days. I arrived short after noon on Friday. Then i first went to to Paleis to pay my last Respect to the late Grand Duke. When i was standing in the netrane gate Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume came back from the CFeremony in the Chamber and wento into the Paleis. Later we had to wait a little bit in the little backcourt of the Paleis and then the Hereditary Grand Duke came out and drove himself away. On the nest day i was early at the Cathedral to secure a good spot. There i also meet a few other Royal Watchers. After all the guests had arrived we ran to the other entrance and where there just in time to see the Funeral cortege arriving and enter the Church. Then it was waiting till the Service was over and to see the guests leaving. I also managed to get a few pics when the coffin was carried to the Crypt.. After all the guests had left i had a little dinner before going to the Paleis to see the guestzs leaving. Some of them drove out in Cars and some went in their Cars before the Palace. After all had left in the front i had a lock on the backside where we also could see some guests leaing. But at some point i had to leav as i was travelling home.
It was an very interesting, impressive but exhausting day.

I was in Luxembourg the last 2 days. I arrived short after noon on Friday. Then i first went to to Paleis to pay my last Respect to the late Grand Duke. When i was standing in the netrane gate Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume came back from the CFeremony in the Chamber and wento into the Paleis. Later we had to wait a little bit in the little backcourt of the Paleis and then the Hereditary Grand Duke came out and drove himself away. On the nest day i was early at the Cathedral to secure a good spot. There i also meet a few other Royal Watchers. After all the guests had arrived we ran to the other entrance and where there just in time to see the Funeral cortege arriving and enter the Church. Then it was waiting till the Service was over and to see the guests leaving. I also managed to get a few pics when the coffin was carried to the Crypt.. After all the guests had left i had a little dinner before going to the Paleis to see the guestzs leaving. Some of them drove out in Cars and some went in their Cars before the Palace. After all had left in the front i had a lock on the backside where we also could see some guests leaing. But at some point i had to leav as i was travelling home.
It was an very interesting, impressive but exhausting day.

Thanks for the first hand account. Was it all well-organized as it looked like in media.
To be fair I was a bit surprised by the chapelle ardente which looked like a garderobe for visitors (due to the long LED armature through the room). What kind of room was the Chapelle? It did not look one of the salons?

That is really too 19th C. It would be completely ridiculous in 2019 to have extremely veiled ladies with invisible faces at a royal funeral. And why have the ladies to cover theirs and the gentlemen not? MeToo peeping here.

They did it in Denmark for the funerals of King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid, but not for the private funeral of Prince Henrik, which was not a state funeral of course. It is unclear if the tradition has been changed or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom