The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2019, 07:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Portugese are the largest group of non-Luxembourg nationals in the Grand-Duchy and the late Grand-Duke's grandmother was a Portugese:

[...]
Wilhelm IV von Nassau x Maria Ana de Bragança
Maria-Anna was not really Portuguese, her father having been exiled and stripped of his title decades before she was born. As a result, his children were born in Germany and documents issued by the Portuguese government referred to his wife and children as plain Dona/Don. But of course, if Maria Anna considered herself Portuguese, her children and grandchildren could have maintained a special sentiment for that country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
The Duke of Braganza has confirmed that he will be with his family at the funeral of the Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. "My family and I will be present at the funeral," he said.
The Duke of Braganza remembered his cousin Jean to the Contact. "The Grand Duke of Luxembourg, the great-grandson of King Michael, has always given great support to the Portuguese community in Luxembourg, whose emigration he sponsored after the Second World War," said Duarte. "My family and I are in a prayer union with the family of the Grand Duke and we will be present at his funeral," the Duke of Bragança assured the Contact.
https://www.wort.lu/pt/luxemburgo/du...2cc1784e342aa6
In what ways did Grand Duke Jean sponsor the Portuguese immigration to Luxembourg? Did he lobby the government, or offer financial support, for example?

Old 04-27-2019, 07:43 AM
Majesty

Will his funeral be live streamed online?

Old 04-27-2019, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

From the website of the Royal House of Romania:

[.....]
"Marele Duce a fost vărul primar al Reginei Ana a României. Regele Mihai I și Regina Ana au fost legați de Marele Duce Jean și de Marea Ducesă Josephine-Charlotte printr-o prietenie de o viață. Marele Duce și Regina Ana au participat la cel de-Al Doilea Război Mondial. Regele Mihai și Regina Ana au fost oaspeții cuplului regal luxemburghez de nenumărate ori, de-a lungul anilor, în ocazii de familie și în ocazii publice."
[.....]

Translation:

" The Grand-Duke was a first cousin of Queen Anne of Romania. King Michael I and Queen Anne were linked to Grand-Duke Jean and Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte through a friendship lasting a lifetime. The Grand-Duke and Queen Anne participated in the Second World War. Over the years, for numerous times King Michael and Queen Anne have been guests of the Luxembourgian royal couple on family occasions and during public events."

Source: https://familiaregala.ro/stiri/artic...rg-in-memoriam
Old 04-27-2019, 02:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
From the website of the Royal House of Romania:

[.....]
"Marele Duce a fost vărul primar al Reginei Ana a României. Regele Mihai I și Regina Ana au fost legați de Marele Duce Jean și de Marea Ducesă Josephine-Charlotte printr-o prietenie de o viață. Marele Duce și Regina Ana au participat la cel de-Al Doilea Război Mondial. Regele Mihai și Regina Ana au fost oaspeții cuplului regal luxemburghez de nenumărate ori, de-a lungul anilor, în ocazii de familie și în ocazii publice."
[.....]

Translation:

" The Grand-Duke was a first cousin of Queen Anne of Romania. King Michael I and Queen Anne were linked to Grand-Duke Jean and Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte through a friendship lasting a lifetime. The Grand-Duke and Queen Anne participated in the Second World War. Over the years, for numerous times King Michael and Queen Anne have been guests of the Luxembourgian royal couple on family occasions and during public events."

Source: https://familiaregala.ro/stiri/artic...rg-in-memoriam

Is the Custodian of the Romanian Crown attending the state funeral then ?
Old 04-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Is the Custodian of the Romanian Crown attending the state funeral then ?
Yes, Princess Margareta and Prince Radu will attend indeed. It was confirmed on Twitter somewhere.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
I am pretty certain it will be.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-27-2019, 02:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Radio Télévision Luxembourg owns 60 television stations all over Europe, being the biggest private media enterprise. It would surprise me when there is no feed. Also chance it will be broadcast on public television in the two other Benelux countries and on German public television as well, since these always break their regular program for major royal events.

See: https://www.rtl.lu/tele/live
Old 04-27-2019, 02:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Grand Duke Jean and his children belong mainly to the Nassau family, their additional Bourbon-Parma identity notwithstanding. With Article 3 of the Constitution of Luxembourg stipulating that "the throne of Luxembourg is hereditary in the Nassau family", being a mere Bourbon-Parma would not allow Jean or Henri to have constitutionally acceded to the grand-ducal throne.

The Grand-Ducal Decree of July 28, 1986 gave to descendants of Sovereigns in male line the family name "Nassau" (subsequently corrected in 2006 to "of Nassau"), distinct from their titles. Even at the times when "Princess or Prince of Bourbon-Parma" was used, it was preceded by "Princess or Prince of Nassau" (e.g. in this court document HRH Louis Prince of Luxembourg v HRH Tessy Princess of Luxembourg & Anor (Application for Financial Remedy) [2018] EWFC 77 (04 December 2018)).

But Prince Felix's descendants (other than the GDs and HGDs properly) claim to be HRHs because of their Bourbon-Parma family origin, don't they ? Before that, cadet children of a GD were only "His Grand Ducal Highness", I suppose.

On your point, most people who have read my posts on TRF know my position on this issue. I believe in patrilineal naming of families and stand by it, regardless of whether certain RFs decide to call themselves Orange-Nassau, Windsor, or Nassau. It is just my personal PoV, which doesn't mean I deny their legal family name in Luxembourg is Nassau. Again, you are perfectly right.

In any case, it is still strange to me that the Belgian Royal Court considers GD Jean's descendants (or the Moncadas) members of the same family as the Belgian royals when they even use different family names. But, then again, I am quite radical on that subject as I also think Princess Astrid's children technically belong to another family (Habsburg-Lothringen) despite being princes of Belgium themselves. In the past (in the age of agnatic succession), that was the rule which royal houses such as Sweden's followed and family naming was consistent. In fact, even under male-preference cognatic sucession, the Brits used to observe patrilineal naming of dynasties. Now it is a mess.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

In the Dutch situation the surname and titles are no longer hereditary. When Princess Juliana (a Von Mecklenburg), Princess Beatrix (a Zur Lippe-Biesterfeld) and when Prince Willem-Alexander (a Von Amsberg) were born, it was established by Royal Decree that their title and surname is Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau. That it is not hereditary was proven with Princess Catharina-Amalia, born from a father with the title and surname Prince of Orange-Nassau: also for her that title and surname were officially established by Royal Decree.

Windsor and Bernadotte follow a similar policy. We will see the same with Van België / De Belgique / Von Belgien.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Princess Anne is confirmed according to journalist Richard Palmer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalRepo...96929355042816
Interesting; thank you Hans Rickard. I had suspected that the Wessexes would go since they often seem to be the favoured British choice for European events, though perhaps they have engagements at home that couldn't be missed. It'll be nice to see Anne there though.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-27-2019, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Interesting; thank you Hans Rickard. I had suspected that the Wessexes would go since they often seem to be the favoured British choice for European events, though perhaps they have engagements at home that couldn't be missed. It'll be nice to see Anne there though.
For funerals it has usually been Prince Charles or Prince Andrew during later years. Earlier it was mostly Prince Philip.

Princess Anne was likely choosen this time as she knew GD Jean very well since they worked closely together for a decade in the International Olympic Comittee.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
But Prince Felix's descendants (other than the GDs and HGDs properly) claim to be HRHs because of their Bourbon-Parma family origin, don't they ? Before that, cadet children of a GD were only "His Grand Ducal Highness", I suppose.
Yes, you are correct. The children of Grand Duke Guillaume IV were created "Her Grand Ducal Highness" via Grand-Ducal decrees (link to an example).

Quote:
On your point, most people who have read my posts on TRF know my position on this issue. I believe in patrilineal naming of families and stand by it, regardless of whether certain RFs decide to call themselves Orange-Nassau, Windsor, or Nassau. It is just my personal PoV, which doesn't mean I deny their legal family name in Luxembourg is Nassau. Again, you are perfectly right.
Many royal watchers and for that matter many royals don't believe women should have equal rights as men to pass on their names to their children, and I am very much aware of that. But there is a difference between the opinions of royal watchers and the actual decisions royals may make. For instance, the decision of Grand Duke Henri in 2012 to deny any woman who happens to be a descendant of, or married to a descendant of, Grand Duchess Charlotte (with the exceptions of a Grand Duchess or a Hereditary Grand Duchess in her own right) the right to give her name to her own children sent the wrong message by my assessment, but it was his decision to make as the head of the house, and not mine. Accordingly, I recognize that Princess Alexandra's children will not be Nassaus, even though I would prefer them to be.

Quote:
In any case, it is still strange to me that the Belgian Royal Court considers GD Jean's descendants (or the Moncadas) members of the same family as the Belgian royals when they even use different family names. But, then again, I am quite radical on that subject as I also think Princess Astrid's children technically belong to another family (Habsburg-Lothringen) despite being princes of Belgium themselves. In the past (in the age of agnatic succession), that was the rule which royal houses such as Sweden's followed and family naming was consistent. In fact, even under male-preference cognatic sucession, the Brits used to observe patrilineal naming of dynasties. Now it is a mess.
It is odd that the Belgian Royal Court considers the main line of a foreign royal family to be part of the Belgian Royal Family, but on the other hand, most families in my experience do not define their membership using the strict criterion of family name. As a practical issue, a definition of that kind would imply that Spanish women, who virtually never adopt their husbands' names, do not belong to their husbands' families, and that is surely not the general view of most Spaniards.

Quote:
In the Dutch situation the surname and titles are no longer hereditary. When Princess Juliana (a Von Mecklenburg), Princess Beatrix (a Zur Lippe-Biesterfeld) and when Prince Willem-Alexander (a Von Amsberg) were born, it was established by Royal Decree that their title and surname is Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau. That it is not hereditary was proven with Princess Catharina-Amalia, born from a father with the title and surname Prince of Orange-Nassau: also for her that title and surname were officially established by Royal Decree.
To add to your comment, the Royal Decrees also established "van Mecklenburg/van Lippe-Biesterfeld/van Amsberg" as parts of Juliana, Beatrix, and Willem-Alexander's and their siblings' respective surnames, preceded by the "van Oranje-Nassau". Take for example the text of the Royal Decree in relation to Juliana's children, posted here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2040512

Quote:
Windsor and Bernadotte follow a similar policy. We will see the same with Van België / De Belgique / Von Belgien.
Bernadotte has never been established by decree, it is simply hereditary.

King Philippe of Belgium has followed a different interpretation of the law than his father, and "Van België / De Belgique / Von Belgien" is no longer considered their official family name, even though the Belgian royal family have persisted in its unofficial usage as a surname.

More information in this post: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1920463

Perhaps we could move the discussion of naming in the Benelux monarchies to the respective titles threads.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:07 AM
Royal Highness

Death of Grand Duke Jean: April 23, 2019

I don’t think it had anything to do with family names.

We all belong to more than one family.
The families of both parents, grandparents and so on. The family we may marry into or one of our ancestors remarry into.

From the Belgian point of view Jean is also part of their family.

The tweet of the Belgian journalist only announced the presence of Filip, Mathilde, Albert and Paola.
I would expect to see Astrid, Lorenz, Laurent and Claire as well.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Usually one would expect the head of the House Orange-Nassau (The King), Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix at the State Funeral of Grand-Duke Jean the former head of the House Nassau.

Saturday May 4th however is also the National Remembrance in the Netherlands, where the royal couple is expected in Amsterdam, in the late afternoon/early evening.

I think they can make it with a State Funeral in Luxembourg around Noon and with the plane back to Amsterdam. But it is very well possible that only Princess Beatrix will attend. Then there is no hurry and the Princess then has plenty of time to stay for lunch and interact with the other royal and noble guests.
I do think the King and Queen will attend the funeral alongside Princess Beatrix.
They won't perhaps make it to the reception at the Palace afterwards but when they will attend just the churchservice, there will be enough time to be back in Amsterdam late afternoon.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:42 AM
Nobility

Does anyone know what the course of events will be for the next few days, for example:

- When will the body of the late Grand Duke be transferred to the Royal Palace?
- Will there be a Lying in State, so that the authorities and the people of Luxembourg can pay their respects?

What I also would like to know: will the Grand Duke be buried or cremated?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read somewhere that his late wife, Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte, was cremated and that her ashes are placed in the Royal Vault in the Notre Dame Cathedral of Luxembourg.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 View Post
Does anyone know what the course of events will be for the next few days, for example:

- When will the body of the late Grand Duke be transferred to the Royal Palace?
- Will there be a Lying in State, so that the authorities and the people of Luxembourg can pay their respects?

What I also would like to know: will the Grand Duke be buried or cremated?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read somewhere that his late wife, Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte, was cremated and that her ashes are placed in the Royal Vault in the Notre Dame Cathedral of Luxembourg.

The bodfy of the late Grand Duke will today be transferred from Berg Castle to the Palace in in Luxembourg-City where he will be lie in State.
Communiqué du Maréchalat de la Cour - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Avril 2019

Old 04-28-2019, 08:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 View Post
I do think the King and Queen will attend the funeral alongside Princess Beatrix.
They won't perhaps make it to the reception at the Palace afterwards but when they will attend just the churchservice, there will be enough time to be back in Amsterdam late afternoon.
The State Funeral starts at 11.00 o'clock so the King and Queen Máxima can make it but attending a funeral under a tight time schedule is never optimal.
My guess is that Princess Beatrix, accompanied by her nephew the Duke of Parma, will attend.

Or

Arrival by royal plane:
- The King
- Queen Máxima
- Princess Beatrix
- The Duke of Parma

Directly leaving by royal plane after the funeral:
- The King
- Queen Máxima

Staying for lunch and leaving by royal limousines back to the Netherlands:
- Princess Beatrix
- The Duke of Parma
Old 04-28-2019, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Some pictures from today when the coffin of the late Grand Duke was brought in a cortege from Berg Castle to the Paleis in Luxembourg

https://www.rtl.lu/news/national/a/1339204.html

Arivval at the Grand Ducal Palace
https://twitter.com/CourGrandDucale/...93253536899074
https://twitter.com/CourGrandDucale/...84370659581959

Old 04-28-2019, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

There are some pictures and a video of the cortege leaving Berg Castle here
https://www.rtl.lu/news/national/a/1339204.html
Old 04-28-2019, 10:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

I thought HRH passed away at his own residence, Fischbach Castle, or in a hospital.

But it seems he died at Colmar-Berg.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968