The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-06-2019, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
Was that Lady Elizabeth Anson who accompanied the Princess Royal into the funeral service? She seemed rather more frail than I remember.
Any ideas why she would have been there?
Lady Elizabeth, Lady Mountbatten and Diane Vestur were all mentioned as special invitees (is that a word?) on the guest list supplied by the Grand ducal house. Her mother was married to Prince George of Valdemar, a first cousin of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte. That could be the reason or maybe, as in the case of Lady Mountbatten, she was just a good friend of Grand Duke Jean.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Lady Elizabeth, Lady Mountbatten and Diane Vestur were all mentioned as special invitees (is that a word?) on the guest list supplied by the Grand ducal house. Her mother was married to Prince George of Valdemar, a first cousin of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte. That could be the reason or maybe, as in the case of Lady Mountbatten, she was just a good friend of Grand Duke Jean.
I know that Lady Elizabeth is one of the best friends of Princess Beatrix (and was one of her bridesmaids as well). In turn Princess Beatrix is godmother to Lady Elizabeth's daughter Fiona. (The then Queen even prematurely left the royal wedding in Madrid to attend the wedding of Fiona at Lichfield Cathedral!).

I did not know that the friendship of Lady Elizabeth did stretch to more continental royals, like the late Grand-Duke Jean. What an intriguing network Lady Elizabeth has!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I know that Lady Elizabeth is one of the best friends of Princess Beatrix (and was one of her bridesmaids as well). In turn Princess Beatrix is godmother to Lady Elizabeth's daughter Fiona. (The then Queen even prematurely left the royal wedding in Madrid to attend the wedding of Fiona at Lichfield Cathedral!).

I did not know that the friendship of Lady Elizabeth did stretch to more continental royals, like the late Grand-Duke Jean. What an intriguing network Lady Elizabeth has!
If memory serves me right she's also been seen at royal celebrations in Oslo.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Ah yes - she is a well-connected Lady! Thanks for the info
I've heard her described as The Queen's 'party planner', but I'm now intrigued to find out more...
Old 05-06-2019, 09:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you to all of the people who provided the identifications and other information concerning the funeral.

I have a couple of questions:

Who was the man standing in the vehicle with the coffin of Grand Duke Jean?

Why did Princess Margaretha appear to rank above her brother Prince Jean in the order of precedence at the funeral? Isn't Jean the older twin, and listed first in the guestlist which was posted earlier?

As an aside, it is interesting that although the order of succession to the Luxembourg throne probably is still governed by semi-Salic male preference outside of Grand Duke Henri's branch of the family, the order of precedence is governed by absolute primogeniture.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

The most interesting picture of the weekend, four gentlemen captured in one frame:

Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias, former King of Spain

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú, standard-bearer of the Legitimists

Don Carlos Javier de Borbón-Parma y Orange-Nassau, standard-bearer of the Carlists

Jean-Cristophe Bonaparte, Prince Napoléon, standard-bearer of the Bonapartists.

Picture: https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d2&oe=5D68BFC2
Old 05-06-2019, 12:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Who is the young man next to Princess Margareta and Prince Radu of Romania?

Picture: https://www.romaniaregala.ro/wp-cont...7037429935.jpg
Old 05-06-2019, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The most interesting picture of the weekend, four gentlemen captured in one frame:

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú, standard-bearer of the Legitimists

Don Carlos Javier de Borbón-Parma y Orange-Nassau, standard-bearer of the Carlists

I suppose all four theoretically have supporters as claimants to the abolished throne of France.

A small detail: The surname of King Juan Carlos is simply de Borbón y Borbón, without Dos Sicilias. For example, note his mother's name in the the royal decree of 1987.
2. Igual título y tratamiento recibirá la madre de Su Majestad el Rey, don Juan Carlos I de Borbón, Doña María de las Mercedes de Borbón y Orleans.
The name of Borbón-Dos Sicilias was taken up by Doña María de las Mercedes' half-brother, Infante Alfonso, and his issue, under his claim to the abolished throne of the Two Sicilies, but the other members of his family remained merely Borbóns.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Who is the young man next to Princess Margareta and Prince Radu of Romania?

Picture: https://www.romaniaregala.ro/wp-cont...7037429935.jpg
It is Prince Dinis of Portugal, Duke of Porto.

He attended the national day in Romania last year as a guest of the Princess:
https://blogrealmonarquias.blogs.sap...etha-e-5586660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc et Pair

And the duke of Bavaria,standard-bearer of the Jacobites - albeit reluctantly.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
And the duke of Bavaria,standard-bearer of the Jacobites - albeit reluctantly.

It is not his fault he is first in line in the Jacobite succession. He never claimed that right though.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

https://www.geni.com/people/Elizabet...00001591670492
Old 05-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I suppose all four theoretically have supporters as claimants to the abolished throne of France.

A small detail: The surname of King Juan Carlos is simply de Borbón y Borbón, without Dos Sicilias. For example, note his mother's name in the the royal decree of 1987.
2. Igual título y tratamiento recibirá la madre de Su Majestad el Rey, don Juan Carlos I de Borbón, Doña María de las Mercedes de Borbón y Orleans.
The name of Borbón-Dos Sicilias was taken up by Doña María de las Mercedes' half-brother, Infante Alfonso, and his issue, under his claim to the abolished throne of the Two Sicilies, but the other members of his family remained merely Borbóns.
I see, I indeed thought Borbón-Dos Sicilias was the family name. Thanks for the correction.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

I could feel the "vibes" in that photo...the expression on Prince Napoleon's face...

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-06-2019, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

And seating before them Duke Franz of Bavaria.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:49 PM
Majesty

Why did the past King of Spain stands up for the non Royal Spanish Duke of Cadix 's Son ?
Old 05-06-2019, 03:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Why did the past King of Spain stands up for the non Royal Spanish Duke of Cadix 's Son ?

Maybe it was Don Luis who stood up for King Juan Carlos.

Anyway, they are cousins, so it is natural that they should greet each other.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
They walked by... Would you have preferred the emeritus king to carry a chair everywhere he goes so he can sit down when his wife greets a cousin (his first cousin once removed) who stands up to greet her/them.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Majesty

I think he came before TM were sitting .
Old 05-06-2019, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's 2 videos of the Royal Guests arriving at the Cathedral prior to the funeral Mass ,it looked like a cold wet Spring day in Luxembourg.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It was great to see everyone there and it was also a lovely surprise to see Elisabeth of Belgium with her parents as I hadn't expected her to attend. Nice to see the Princess Royal and Princess Beatrix chatting with each other too.
I agree with An Ard Ri that the photos posted by the Castros and other relatives after the funeral was in somewhat of a poor taste. It doesn't really seem right to see them all smiling after a service for their deceased relative.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank