The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
And right in front of Charles his cousin Carlos was seated. I wonder when they last met each other as they are on opposite sides in the Bourbon Parma family rift with Charles' mother Maria Francisca (according to the guest list also present) siding with her youngest brother Sixtus and the other siblings siding with Carlos (and previously his father Carlos Hugo).
Aha! I knew recognised one of the ladies from somewhere! It his mum!
I wonder when the cousins did meet. Since Charles isn't shy at all about documenting his life on Instagram I'm sure we'd know if he met any of his Dutch cousins.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
And right in front of Charles his cousin Carlos was seated. I wonder when they last met each other as they are on opposite sides in the Bourbon Parma family rift with Charles' mother Maria Francisca (according to the guest list also present) siding with her youngest brother Sixtus and the other siblings siding with Carlos (and previously his father Carlos Hugo).
I barely recognized the Duke of Parma. He has swollen in appearance. I hope his health is okay, that it is because of (too) good appetite and not because of medication or so. It would be good when this ridiculous "carlist feud" is ended for once and for all. Let this gathering of aunt Marie-Françoise de Lobkowicz-de Bourbon de Parme and nephew Carlos be a start. That would certainly be in the spirit of the late Grand-Duke Jean who must have had is own thoughts on the vaudeville in his paternal House.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I wonder when the cousins did meet. S

Perhaps also in Luxembourg as all of them who attended the funeral also attended the Wedding there in 2012.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The hostess does not wear a hat in her house. She removed her hat. The other ladies kept it on for the little intermezzo before leaving Luxembourg.

But this happens to be God’s house while in the cathedral on a very different occasion which is not about the grand duchess. Even doña Sofia who doesn’t normally wear a hat or mantilla to mass covered her head in respect.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Might be just me but I find it a bit tacky having such photos taken only hours after the funeral of the Grand Duke.

If a member of the luxemb. grand ducal family would have posted a photo like this, may be. But these people are so distantly related or familiar (are they "related" at all?!) to the deceased one or his family, I think there is nothing wrong with it. I mean, how often have they really met GD Jean....?
Old 05-05-2019, 04:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The hostess does not wear a hat in her house. She removed her hat. The other ladies kept it on for the little intermezzo before leaving Luxembourg.
There was nothing she could remove as she didn´t wear a hat all day long!

I do miss these royal state funerals when ladies wore long black dresses, veils and their orders, too, last being watched at King Olavs funeral back in 1991!
Old 05-05-2019, 04:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
There was nothing she could remove as she didn´t wear a hat all day long!

I do miss these royal state funerals when ladies wore long black dresses, veils and their orders, too, last being watched at King Olavs funeral back in 1991!
That is really too 19th C. It would be completely ridiculous in 2019 to have extremely veiled ladies with invisible faces at a royal funeral. And why have the ladies to cover theirs and the gentlemen not? MeToo peeping here.

I thought the Grand-Duchess wore a little hat but I see I swapped her for another one. Yes strange indeed, like Màxima, Maria Teresa comes from a country where ladies use to cover the head when attending Mass. Mathilde has the same habit.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

I was in Luxembourg the last 2 days. I arrived short after noon on Friday. Then i first went to to Paleis to pay my last Respect to the late Grand Duke. When i was standing in the netrane gate Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume came back from the CFeremony in the Chamber and wento into the Paleis. Later we had to wait a little bit in the little backcourt of the Paleis and then the Hereditary Grand Duke came out and drove himself away. On the nest day i was early at the Cathedral to secure a good spot. There i also meet a few other Royal Watchers. After all the guests had arrived we ran to the other entrance and where there just in time to see the Funeral cortege arriving and enter the Church. Then it was waiting till the Service was over and to see the guests leaving. I also managed to get a few pics when the coffin was carried to the Crypt.. After all the guests had left i had a little dinner before going to the Paleis to see the guestzs leaving. Some of them drove out in Cars and some went in their Cars before the Palace. After all had left in the front i had a lock on the backside where we also could see some guests leaing. But at some point i had to leav as i was travelling home.
It was an very interesting, impressive but exhausting day.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I was in Luxembourg the last 2 days. I arrived short after noon on Friday. Then i first went to to Paleis to pay my last Respect to the late Grand Duke. When i was standing in the netrane gate Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume came back from the CFeremony in the Chamber and wento into the Paleis. Later we had to wait a little bit in the little backcourt of the Paleis and then the Hereditary Grand Duke came out and drove himself away. On the nest day i was early at the Cathedral to secure a good spot. There i also meet a few other Royal Watchers. After all the guests had arrived we ran to the other entrance and where there just in time to see the Funeral cortege arriving and enter the Church. Then it was waiting till the Service was over and to see the guests leaving. I also managed to get a few pics when the coffin was carried to the Crypt.. After all the guests had left i had a little dinner before going to the Paleis to see the guestzs leaving. Some of them drove out in Cars and some went in their Cars before the Palace. After all had left in the front i had a lock on the backside where we also could see some guests leaing. But at some point i had to leav as i was travelling home.
It was an very interesting, impressive but exhausting day.
Thanks for the first hand account. Was it all well-organized as it looked like in media.
To be fair I was a bit surprised by the chapelle ardente which looked like a garderobe for visitors (due to the long LED armature through the room). What kind of room was the Chapelle? It did not look one of the salons?
Old 05-05-2019, 05:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
That is really too 19th C. It would be completely ridiculous in 2019 to have extremely veiled ladies with invisible faces at a royal funeral. And why have the ladies to cover theirs and the gentlemen not? MeToo peeping here.

They did it in Denmark for the funerals of King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid, but not for the private funeral of Prince Henrik, which was not a state funeral of course. It is unclear if the tradition has been changed or not.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the first hand account. Was it all well-organized as it looked like in media.
To be fair I was a bit surprised by the chapelle ardente which looked like a garderobe for visitors (due to the long LED armature through the room). What kind of room was the Chapelle? It did not look one of the salons?

Yes everything was very well organizued.

The Caheplle ardente was when one ggoes into the Paleis through the Blue door on the right side I think the official rooms are on the opposisde Side. (because terhe the herediary Grand Duke went in). The room was quiet big and was nice decorated with some flowers but there of course also barrieres there.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for all these infos
Old 05-05-2019, 06:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes it's really a rest from a time gone. The last time it happened here in Sweden was for the funeral of Prince Bertil in 1997. And not all women covered their face btw... And it wasn't done at all for the funeral of his wife Princess Lilian in 2013.

Even the UK has modernised that. No one wore a veil for the funeral of The Queen Mother in 2002.

Tears or a sad look are just natural for both men and women at funerals.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Very beautifully done, and a fitting tribute [and turnout] for so admirable man, as the late Grand Duke..
Old 05-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I thought the Grand-Duchess wore a little hat but I see I swapped her for another one. Yes strange indeed, like Màxima, Maria Teresa comes from a country where ladies use to cover the head when attending Mass. Mathilde has the same habit.
What has MeToo to do with covering once face because you suffered a loss and want to be, virtually, to be with "yourself"? Why would a mourning veil to be sexist...?! I think you got things mixed up here a bit, aren´t you?
Why then continue wearing veils at a wedding although everybody knows hardly any bride these days is a virgin...
Duc, veils were worn by WOMEN, that´s because we have a tradition for women to wear such an item; MEN never wore ones in human history so there is no tradition for male to do so. That is not sexist, that´s just a fact...

This is about royal protocol and etiquette. Royal ladies wore veils up to the 1990s (yes, also at Queen Ingrids funeral - at least by her daughters), a state funeral without attending ladies being veiled would have been considered pretty unthinkable - and this was until the end of the 20th century, not the 19th...

Wearing no hats has nothing to do with what country you come from as catholic, late Queen Fabiola obviously hated hats and didn´t wear one, even when attending mass, when it was not absolutely necessary. The spanish Queens hardly ever wear a hat, in or outside a church while Queen Maxima seems to wear hats all day long - obviously she, like her current belgian counterpart, seem to feel it is absolutely vital for a Queen to wear a hat even in 2019.
This does not answer, why the GDess didn´t even wear a hat for a full state funeral of her late father-in-law, former head of state, when she otherwise has no problems to do so (state visits etc.)...?!
Old 05-05-2019, 08:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

My take is that the Grand-Duchess saw herself as the hostess. The cortège left the palais grand-ducal and that is her residence. I have no other logic reason. The Grand-Duchess uses to wear hats like Mathilde or Máxima. I thought she wore a little pillbox, but that was her sister-in-law Marie-Astrid, sitting next to her.

It did not disturb me, the Grand-Duchess looked very nicely coiffed. We can not say that about hatless Máxima.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

The late Catholic Queen Fabiola didn't wear hats to Mass, true...but up until the reforms of Vatican II she always without fail had her head covered with a beautiful mantilla at Mass and any other religious ceremony.

I've no idea what happened with Maria Teresa. She looked drawn, tired and sad. Perhaps she was so distracted she simply forgot her head covering.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Doña Fabiola still wore veils to Mass, but indeed in no logic order.

Picture: https://images0.persgroep.net/rcs/Gi...b2&quality=0.8

Picture: http://images-mds.staticskynet.be/Ne...30054910CV.jpg
Old 05-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thank you Duc...come to think of it I believe she also wore a hat to the funeral of her father-in-law Leopold III in 1983....

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-05-2019, 10:51 AM
Majesty

Emotional day yesterday as a #legendary Irish Guardsman was laid to rest at Cathedral Notre-Dame of Luxembourg.

The State funeral for Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg was held to #remember and #celebrate his astonishing reign and contributions to the people of Luxembourg

Via Irish Guards Twitter

https://twitter.com/irish_guards/sta...621614592?s=20