Death and Funeral of Grand Duke Jean: April 23 & May 4, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve spent today in Luxembourg - really quite moving to see how many shop display windows and around the city In general pay tribute to His late Royal Highness

IMG_1068.jpgIMG_1051.jpg

The crypt is simple yet impressive. ..just like Grand Duke Jean himself. RIP.

The vault is simple but beautiful :flowers:

The lions at the entrance to the crypt are amazing.

Thank you wbenson for sharing your photos. The late GD lead a remarkable life and his passing seems to have had a profound effect on Luxembourg.

No I don't like it either I wonder when it was redecorated some of the burials go back to the medieval Dukes of Luxembourg and remarkably are still intact.

I found this video of the Grand Dukes Coffin leaving the cathedral for interment in the Grand Ducal Crypt I assume there's a separate entrance?

Last edited:
The one lion sports the Arms of Nassau, the other lion the Arms of Bourbon-Parma.

The new Luxembourg vault is not really my cup of tea. Too polished floors, to shiny materials, too clinical. I prefer old dark mediaeval looking vaults which needs a torchlight above this one with halogene spots.

Absolutely agree. I don't like this vault either. In fact, when I saw it, I immediately thought that it looked Chinese. Those fat, golden lions look like Chinese lions in a Chinese Fastfood Restaurant! Does anyone have any pictures of the "dark medieval looking vaults?"

Absolutely agree. I don't like this vault either. In fact, when I saw it, I immediately thought that it looked Chinese. Those fat, golden lions look like Chinese lions in a Chinese Fastfood Restaurant! Does anyone have any pictures of the "dark medieval looking vaults?"

The mausoleum of the House Orange-Nassau in Delft is not accessible. In the 19th C two gentlemem were allowed to inspect the mausoleum and drawings were published: https://kunst-en-cultuur.infonu.nl/artikel-fotos/xianti/992982834458.jpg That looks mediaeval and darksome.

Even in the 20th and 21st C no pictures have been published of the interior of this mausoleum. The only thing the public sees is a deckstone covering the stairs:
https://www.absofacts2.com/gif/fnl/zuid-holland/delft/dsc_7501.jpg

For royal funerals the deckstone is removed:
https://www.vorsten.nl/app/uploads/2018/10/ANP-1021824-667x1024.jpg

When Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg died, his banner as a Stranger Knight of the Garter was removed and is now being prepared by College of St George, Windsor Castle, for ‘laying up’ on the Altar, as shown in this picture published in The Dragon

Via Alastair Bruce Twitter

It will be blessed by the Dean of the the chapel and presented to the family.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but it appears that HM Queen Elizabeth II talks about Jean's death here with the PM of Luxembourg at the recent D-Day events in London. (IF you turn the sound right up you can just about make out some of their conversation)

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but it appears that HM Queen Elizabeth II talks about Jean's death here with the PM of Luxembourg at the recent D-Day events in London. (IF you turn the sound right up you can just about make out some of their conversation)

The Queen asking - "Do they open anything?" when receiving the keys to the city [emoji23]

“On Monday, the Memorial Evensong for Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg was held at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

Jean was a Knight of the Order of the Garter (1972-2019). His banner which hung in the chapel was blessed by the dean & presented to his son, Grand Duke Henri.”

Via Gert’s Royals Twitter

Last edited:
The Queen asking - "Do they open anything?" when receiving the keys to the city [emoji23]

I heard HM say " great friend of ours" to PM Xavier Bettel when the PM thanked her for something, perhaps her condolences on the passing of HRH GD Jean..

I would have loved to hear the Memorial Evensong Service for GD Jean at St. George's Chapel. I am sure it was beautiful.

“On Monday, the Memorial Eversong for Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg was held at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

Jean was a Knight of the Order of the Garter (1972-2019). His banner which hung in the chapel was blessed by the dean & presented to his son, Grand Duke Henri.”

Via Gert’s Royals Twitter

Nice to hear that there was a memorial service for GD Jean at Windsor. It seems like, as well as being a Knight of the Garter, he was rather close to HM.

Nice to hear that there was a memorial service for GD Jean at Windsor. It seems like, as well as being a Knight of the Garter, he was rather close to HM.

He and Philip were of the same age; not many of that generation are left...

The Grand Duke was a close friend of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. He spent the war years in the UK, was an Officer of the Irish Guards, later Colonel of the Regiment of the Irish Guards, rode behind the Queen during Trooping for many years and took part in the parade years after.

That generation is almost gone, yes. Genealogically speaking besides Prince Philip I can only think of his first cousins Prince Michael of Greece (80) and Lady Pamela Hicks (90) though they of course are younger than him and Grand Duke Jean's sister Countess Marie Gabrielle of Ledreborg (94). Others that are close to Philip and Jean in age are Astrid of Norway (87), Queen Elizabeth (93), Princess Alix Napoléon (93) and the two sisters Archduchess Margherita of Habsburg-Este (89) and Princess Maria-Christina of Bourbons-Deux-Siciles (86).

Last edited:
"One year ago, on 23 April 2019, His Royal Highness Grand Duke Jean left us at the age of 98.

A birthday mass in his memory will be celebrated during Octave Notre-Dame by Cardinal Jean-Claude Hollerich on Thursday 7 May 2020 at 9.30 am in the Luxembourg Cathedral.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, mass will take place without the physical presence of the faithful. So that the public can still attend the religious service, the mass will be broadcast live"

Messe anniversaire en mémoire de S.A.R. le Grand-Duc Jean - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Avril 2020

I assume the mass is not in connection to his birthday (January 5) but to his passing (so, the anniversary mass of his passing). Probably a 'translation error' :flowers:

Happy to know that there will be a memorial Mass celebrated for HRH, even though his family cannot attend in person.

I so wish he had lived long enough to meet Guillaume and Stephanie's first born, due to arrive in just a few weeks now.:sad:

I always cry watching GD Jean's funeral. What a beautiful beautiful send off to one of my favourite Royals.

Back
Top Bottom