The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2019, 07:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

And there was another boy except Princes Gabriel and Noah; it was probably 8-year-old Count Leopold of Limburg Stirum, eldest son of Count Rodolphe and Countess Marie Christine, nee Archduchess of Austria.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen Paola looks very dignified in her black lace mantilla.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am surprised to see the bad shape of the Emeritus King's leg. I had not noticed it before in other occasions. It must be hard for him.

Well, not very surprising as he had these kind of problems since a couple of years by now and, of course, continually aging is not helping either.

Generally I thought, my Goodness, everyone looked so old, many of them still relatively fit a few years ago, even frail... Even those I, a short time ago, would have called the "younger generation" of the Royals (apart from the 3 lads present and the Duchess of Brabant), so obviously suddenly aging...! Reminds me how old I myself slowly get.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
And there was another boy except Princes Gabriel and Noah; it was probably 8-year-old Count Leopold of Limburg Stirum, eldest son of Count Rodolphe and Countess Marie Christine, nee Archduchess of Austria.
The one in shorts?
I think that wasn't very appropiate, boys (no matter how young) should wear trousers for a funeral IMHO
Old 05-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I missed parts of it but caught the foreign royals leaving at the end so I assumed it was over but having just glanced back on a live stream it seems the Grand Ducal family are just leaving now, did they attend another smaller service or ceremony after the main one?

I thought (as ever) Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibylla were very graceful and polite in the way they ensured they were either side of the elder Queen Paola and king Albert II of Belgium when they got to the steps to help them down.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I missed parts of it but caught the foreign royals leaving at the end so I assumed it was over but having just glanced back on a live stream it seems the Grand Ducal family are just leaving now, did they attend another smaller service or ceremony after the main one?

I thought (as ever) Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibylla were very graceful and polite in the way they ensured they were either side of the elder Queen Paola and king Albert II of Belgium when they got to the steps to help them down.

I believe they were replaying the Grand Ducal Family's exit from the cathedral. They were obviously the first to leave.

I don't think there was a separate ceremony as the commending of the body was already done at the end of the mass, but I may be wrong.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

There was the interment in the crypt, for family only.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There was the interment in the crypt, for family only.

Yes, but was it broadcast ? Maybe what Tommy referred to was the family leaving the interment then. I didn't see it.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
Did the Grand Duke serve among them? Why did they play (movingly btw)?
Grand Duke Jean trained for and served with the Irish Guards during World War 2. He was also their Honorary Colonel between 1984-2000.
His grandson Prince Sébastien is currently serving with the Irish Guards so the Luxembourg Royal Family have close ties with them.

"Highland Cathedral" was played when the coffin was carried out.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Article at the website of the swedish royal court, also about the Seraphim ringing done today at 12.00-13.00.
Kungen vid begravning i Luxemburg - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation
Old 05-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Majesty

It was a beautiful and emotional ceremony. The entire Grand Duchy Family and members of almost every royal family in Europe were present. Now the Grand Duke Jean can rest in peace.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Courtier

A very beautiful, solemn and moving service; I'm so grateful I was able to watch it.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Here's another gallery and an article from today:

** ppe gallery **

** dm article: Grand goodbye: Princess Anne joins royalty from across the world for funeral of Duke of Luxembourg as nation mourns for WWII hero..**
Old 05-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

A photo of QMII at the funeral: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...-af-luxembourg
Old 05-04-2019, 11:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

At Instagram of swedish royal court are short videos of Seraphim ringing and grand duke Jean's Coat of arms of the knight of the Order of the Seraphim taken from the Royal Palace to Riddarholm Church.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxCplDVhupn/

Queen Silvia has got cold and couldn't attend.
- It's nothing serious but she felt so cold that she didn't want to risk infecting others. She is home and cures herself at Drottningholm, says Margareta Thorgren.
Thorgren says that it was for the other guests' sake Silvia chose not to go, but that the queen is very sad that she was not allowed to say goodbye to her friend.
- By the respect of others, the Queen chose to stay home. It's sad of course.
Margareta Thorgren also says that there are strong friendships between the two royal families and that the grand duke's death is a grief for the king who shared many interests with him.
- They had many common interests, including the scouts. They had several interests that tied them together.
The king himself has described the Grand Duke as a man he will remember with warmth.
- Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg was highly respected by me and my family. He was a faithful and devoted scout and it was a pleasure to share this interest with him. I will remember a very nice and friendly man, said the King in a comment to Svensk Damtidning.
Drottning Silvia missar Jean av Luxemburgs begravning
Old 05-04-2019, 11:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Luxarazzi: Who Will Attend: The Official Guest List for the Funeral of Grand Duke Jean

Why are Greece, Romania and Bulgaria listed as former reigning Houses, but are Portugal, France, etc. listed as heads of families?

I understand that the last kings of Greece and Bulgaria are still amongst us, but that does not count for the last King of Romania.

I did miss any representative from Italy. Which is a bit remarkable as the last King and Queen of Italy were uncle and aunt to the late Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte
Old 05-04-2019, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What a Solemn and beautiful Funeral Mass for the late Grand Duke,the turn out from the various royal houses was testament of how greatly he was regarded.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

After the funeral of Grand Duke Jean there was reception at the Grand Ducal Palace

http://www.lessentiel.lu/fr/luxembou...alais-11420407

Duke and Duchess of Castro with Grand Duke Henri and the Prince Serge and Princess Eleonore of Serbia

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxDCpS8FzSZ/

Together in Luxemburg for the funeral: A Family picture with Bourbon, Napoleon, Habsburg, Savoy, Serbia

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxB9eYxFqI2/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxB293FAcbg/
Old 05-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
Did the Grand Duke serve among them? Why did they play (movingly btw)?
Jean joined the British army as a volunteer in the Irish guards, where after Sandhurst he was commissioned as a lieutenant and later captain in 1944. He took part in both the liberation of Brussels, and later of Luxembourg. He relinquished his commission in 1947, but in 1984 he was named colonel. He often road behind Elizabeth during Trooping.

Lovely touch seeing the boy scouts involved as well. Jean was named Chief scout back in 1945. He was very actively involved over the decades, even in his failing health. He was described as down to earth, when he was with the scouts he was simply chief scout, not the GD. He used to attend jamborees.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Together in Luxemburg for the funeral: A Family picture with Bourbon, Napoleon, Habsburg, Savoy, Serbia

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxB9eYxFqI2/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxB293FAcbg/
Might be just me but I find it a bit tacky having such photos taken only hours after the funeral of the Grand Duke.