Belgian State Visit to Luxembourg: October 15-17, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From that respect you are right. But still I guess it is no coincidence this tiara hasn´t been used since about the last 40 years (I think Fabiola last used it at some time in the 1970s).

She used it in 2001 for the swedish State visit to Belgium and then once also in the early 2000's. One time it was worn as necklace.

From that respect you are right. But still I guess it is no coincidence this tiara hasn´t been used since about the last 40 years (I think Fabiola last used it at some time in the 1970s).
Queen Fabiola has worn the Spanish tiara in 2001 for the Swedish State Visit and in 2000 for the Spanish State Visit. Those two events were her last two tiara appearances. After that she still attended a couple of State Banquets, but she didn't wear a tiara anymore. On both occasions she wore the aquamarines in the tiara setting.

It was not a Franco present , it was a Present from Spain .

Queen Fabiola has worn the Spanish tiara in 2001 for the Swedish State Visit and in 2000 for the Spanish State Visit. Those two events were her last two tiara appearances. After that she still attended a couple of State Banquets, but she didn't wear a tiara anymore. On both occasions she wore the aquamarines in the tiara setting.

I just it was known what has happened to the Spanish tiara as queen Mathilde would have worn it if it was still in the possession of BRF.

I just it was known what has happened to the Spanish tiara as queen Mathilde would have worn it if it was still in the possession of BRF.
I guess the tiara will reappear on Princess Elisabeth. I'm quite confident that Queen Fabiola handed it over to the Duchess of Brabant.

The concert this evening was also attended by Henri's brothers Prince Jean and Prince Guillaume and their spouses Diane and Sibilla.
https://blobsvc.wort.lu/picture/088...rtv3/c596c4cf8d93c87226b8df70cb34e03794650f23

I guess the tiara will reappear on Princess Elisabeth. I'm quite confident that Queen Fabiola handed it over to the Duchess of Brabant.

Wouldn't that be wonderful a perfect queens tiara for the future queen regnant.

We've seen plenty of royal tiaras re-appear after a long time, I know the Belgians don't have enough to keep them hidden for long but it may well be Fabiola left it to Elisabeth or someone else not yet of age to wear a tiara or simply that Mathilde doesn't feel the need to wear it yet.

Who knows, in 10 years or so we may be laughing over all these fears it had gone for good.

The concert this evening was also attended by Henri's brothers Prince Jean and Prince Guillaume and their spouses Diane and Sibilla.
https://blobsvc.wort.lu/picture/088...rtv3/c596c4cf8d93c87226b8df70cb34e03794650f23

It was stated that the whole estate of the late Qieen Fabiola was handed over to the charity Werken van de Koningin / Œuvres de la Reine, a charity to enable the Queen to do social work. The question is: was the Spanish Wedding Gift still in this estate (or already given by life?).

Last edited:
It was not a Franco present , it was a Present from Spain .

I´m informed otherwise! But even if you put it that way, I don´t think you can really make a difference between the spanish state at the time and its leader. When a totalitarian state gives you officially a precious gift, it is connected with its principal leader! To think differently would be a bit naive, don´t you think?

Last edited:
I´m informed otherwise! But even if you put it that way, I don´t think you can really make a difference between the spanish state at the time and its leader. When a totalitarian state gives you officially a precious gift, it is connected with its proncipal leader! To think differently would be a bit naive, don´t you think?

Well, to be fair, the State of Spain gives a cadeau to a Spanish citizen who becomes Queen of the Belgians. That the head of state at that moment was General Franco, does not really matter, I think. It is still a gift from the State of Spain,

To make a comparison: the Brazilean aquamarines of Queen Elizabeth II were partly given by the Brazilean Government during the 21 years long military dictatorship (1964-1985). That Government used to crush opposition groups, to eliminate, to imprison or to torture any resistance. But still it is a gift from the State of Brazil.

Well, to be fair, the State of Spain gives a cadeau to a Spanish citizen who becomes Queen of the Belgians. That the head of state at that moment was General Franco, does not really matter, I think. It is still a gift from the State of Spain,

To make a comparison: the Brazilean aquamarines of Queen Elizabeth II were partly given by the Brazilean Government during the 21 years long military dictatorship (1964-1985). That Government used to crush opposition groups, to eliminate, to imprison or to torture any resistance. But still it is a gift from the State of Brazil.
I didn´t refer to any piece of jewellery of the british Queen, we were writing about a specific belgian item.
If Elizabeth II wants to wear this piece it is up to her if she wants to wear it or not. If the belgian Queens have no objection towards the spanish jewellery they can wear it (if there is not too much of a protest from the public and Mathilde would care about that). In fact, neither the last nor the current Queen of the Belgians have ever worn it so far. All I was saying was that I thought this indicates that this can´t be a pure coincidence.
Plus: I have read from different sources that this tiara was indeed a "personal" Franco gift, which made it a gift "from Spain" for a fellow noble citizen who married the King of the Belgians automatically. If this is true, I do not know. I can only refer to informations I get from sources who claim to know. I was not around, witnessing it personally when Fabiola received the gift... Personally I think wearing a gift from an evil fascist, which Franco, just like Hitler or Mussolini were, undoubtedly was, is a highly controversial thing to do and, although it would be nice if the Queen had at least one more tiara to choose, I still understand why one would decide not to use it! I mean, why then objections against the dutch golden coach with its colonial paintings? Is that any worse and who decides what is still ok and what is not...?:whistling:

Last edited:
I’m guessing, but the order includes a breast star worn at the waist. Maria Teresa was probably using crutches or a wheelchair to get around, so it was uncomfortable. We only saw photos of her sitting.

I’m guessing, but the order includes a breast star worn at the waist. Maria Teresa was probably using crutches or a wheelchair to get around, so it was uncomfortable. We only saw photos of her sitting.

This is what I was thinking too. The other possibility could be concern that the ribbon would get caught in the crutches some how and cause her to lose her balance (depending on the type she is using if any). My Dad had knee surgery several times and I really can't think of anything else. The star position actually seems the most likely reason.

Given that she was wearing a tiara, it couldn't be the weight... And you would think it would be possible to 'stick' the sash to the dress in a way it won't hang loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom