The Mikasa Family Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Nobuko will visit France privately February 6-14 to attend the International Judo Federation's Paris Grand Slam competition. She was appointed IJF ambassador last July.

Sources: Sankei, Jiji

On November 28th, Princess Akiko attended the Japan-British Society 2019 Awards at The Okura Tokyo.

Japan-British Society 2019 Awards - BCCJ Acumen
After the guest speech by BBC Tokyo correspondent Rupert Wingfield-Hayes, HIH Princess Akiko of Mikasa presented inscribed silverware to the two recipients: Masamichi Yokoi, director of the Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation’s Tokyo office, and Richard Halberstadt, director of the Ishinomaki Community and Information Centre. Each was honoured for their contributions to the furthering of Anglo–Japanese relations.
On December 1st, Princess Akiko attended the 34th Children's Song Grand Prix Competition at EX Theater Ropponji.
Photo: https://douyou-contest.com/lastyear/
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPWBVGmUEAMwRPe.jpg

On December 1st, Princess Yoko attended the finals and closing ceremony of the 53rd Miyasama Charity Bowling Tournament at Shinagawa Prince Hotel Bowling Center.

Screenshots:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPMO7RMUEAEBcVi.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPMO7RRUwAAYCBG.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPMO7RPVAAAQHkv.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPMO7RTUYAA31OM.jpg

:previous: I'm always happy to hear updates about the activities for Princess Akiko, who is rapidly becoming one of my favorite Japanese princesses.

Princess Yuriko will be admitted to St. Luke's International Hospital for several days from February 4th for cataract surgery on her right eye. The procedure is scheduled for the morning of the 5th.

Sources: Sankei, Asahi

:previous: Princess Yuriko's right eye cataract surgery was successful on February 5. The procedure started just after 10:30am and finished in 10 minutes. She should return to normal life in about a week.

Source: NHK

Reactions: eya
Princess Yuriko was discharged from St. Luke's International Hospital on the morning of February 7th.
Source: Jiji

Princess Nobuko will visit France privately February 6-14 to attend the International Judo Federation's Paris Grand Slam competition. She was appointed IJF ambassador last July.

Princess Nobuko departed for France from Haneda Airport on the morning of February 6th.
Photo: NHK

:previous: I'm always happy to hear updates about the activities for Princess Akiko, who is rapidly becoming one of my favorite Japanese princesses.

I agree! From reading through older discussions it seems that for a time, the minority of Western royal watchers who knew who Princess Akiko was recognized her only for her (and her father's) traditionalist political views; I'm glad that has changed.

Princess Nobuko presented medals for the Women -48kg weight class at the International Judo Federation's Paris Grand Slam on February 8th.

Photo: Judo’s superstars light up the Paris Grand Slam / IJF.org

Medal ceremony (skip to 26:20)

Interesting to see the breadth of countries and regions whose athletes are represented in the top ranks.

On February 9th, Princess Akiko’s cultural organization Shinyusha held a tea workshop at Hokkaidō Shrine in Sapporo, Hokkaidō.
The workshop featured tea master Shunichi Matsuo from Ureshino, Saga Prefecture and craftsman-producer-director Hirotoshi Maruwaka. Matsuo and Maruwaka are co-founders of EN TEA company. Rokkatei Confectionery provided Hangan-Sama (warm sweet bean-filled rice cake).

The workshop covered:
- tea leaves
- tea manufacturing to make Japanese, Chinese, and black tea
- tasting water from Hokkaido, Kyushu, and French brand Evian
- temperature and containers (PET bottle)
- tea tasting

Photos:

On February 9th, Princess Akiko’s cultural organization Shinyusha held a tea workshop at Hokkaidō Shrine in Sapporo, Hokkaidō.
The workshop featured tea master Shunichi Matsuo from Ureshino, Saga Prefecture and craftsman-producer-director Hirotoshi Maruwaka. Matsuo and Maruwaka are co-founders of EN TEA company. Rokkatei Confectionery provided Hangan-Sama (warm sweet bean-filled rice cake).

The workshop covered:
- tea leaves
- tea manufacturing to make Japanese, Chinese, and black tea
- tasting water from Hokkaido, Kyushu, and French brand Evian
- temperature and containers (PET bottle)
- tea tasting

Photos:

Thank you for the translation! It is interesting that Chinese and French products were included, and I wonder if they inspired the Japanese equivalents or vice versa.

:previous: You're welcome!

On January 28th, Princess Yoko and NPO Japan Universal Sound Design Association President Shinichiro Nakaishi visited Kakuix Wing's facility in Kajiyacho, Kagoshima Prefecture. They learned about the latest care robots and support products.

After the tour, there was a meeting to discuss Nakaishi's "comuoon" communication support system for the elderly, hearing loss as a risk factor for dementia, and improving hearing. Princess Yoko gave a heartwarming story and words of expectations for the industry.

Prince and Princess Mikasa visited the company in 1955; Emperor Showa and Empress Kojun visited in 1958.

Photos: kakuix-wing.com

ETA: On January 29th, Princess Yoko and NPO Japan Universal Sound Design Association President Shinichiro Nakaishi visited Uki, Kumamoto Prefecture. They learned the results for the 10 "comuoon" conversation support devices the city bought last year for nursing care facilities. Comuoons were used in 543 out of 2,133 cases from June to December and about two-thirds (357) reported it was easier to hear.

Photos: https://www.city.uki.kumamoto.jp/q/aview/1/15705.html , Mainichi

Last edited:
On April 1st, the IHA announced Princess Akiko is appointed special professor at Chiba Institute of Technology. As a part-time senior researcher at the Geoscience Research Center, she will attend study group about once a month and give lectures to students.

The university's managing director Takafumi Matsui participated in the excavation the Kaman archeological site in Anatolia, Turkey. Princess Akiko was invited to tour the campus last year and has been attending the "Century of Forum Earth Sciences" study group since fiscal year 2019.

Sources: Jiji, it-chiba.ac.jp

Reactions: eya
Last year, Princess Akiko's cultural organization Shinyusha launched a Goshuincho "honorable stamp/seal book." Once filled with goshuin stamps from shrines and temples, a book can be exchanged for original Shinyusha goods.

1st book: 2 teas (green tea and custom Reiwa tea blend "帛")
2nd book: pair of teacups
3rd book: tea pot, wooden box, drawstring pouch

Photos: https://shinyusha.or.jp/goshuin/

On April 25th, Shinyusha posted videos on how to brew the 2 types of tea

In 2019, Princess Yoko supported a reasonable accommodation request to Kumamoto Prefecture Office of Education for teacher examinations. The request was successful; visual and auditory support were provided at the next examination.

Photo: http://blog.livedoor.jp/npousd

Following workshop cancelations due to the coronavirus pandemic, Shinyusha held its first online session on May 24. Princess Akiko and her panelists (chief priests or directors of various shrines) discussed the theme of "prayer" for an hour. Over 160 people attended the Zoom session which was open to Shinyusha members and non-members.

Photos:
The next online session is limited to Shinyusha members and is scheduled for June 6 at 3pm. Princess Akiko and her panelists (EN Tea president and others who participate in tea workshops) will discuss tea.

Last edited:
On June 1st, Princess Akiko was appointed president of Ichimura Foundation for New Technology and honorary president of Classical Day Cultural Fund Awards Committee. Both organizations requested her patronage.

Her father Prince Tomohito was president of the Foundation from 1982 until his death in 2012.

On June 6th, Princess Akiko and Shinyusha held an online seminar about tea. The organization also opened an online store to purchase Shinyusha tea and teaware.
https://shinyusha.stores.jp/

Photos:
The next online session is scheduled for June 28 on the theme Nagoshi no Harae ("the Purification Ritual of Summer's Passing").

Japanese media FNN has taken noticed and reported Princess Akiko is the first Imperial family member to participate in an online session format. Public service cancellations continue through July so Princess Akiko has been catching up on reading and publishing papers.

Thank you for the news on the Mikasas!

In 2019, Princess Yoko supported a reasonable accommodation request to Kumamoto Prefecture Office of Education for teacher examinations. The request was successful; visual and auditory support were provided at the next examination.

Photo: http://blog.livedoor.jp/npousd

I'm not sure if I understand. Does that mean Princess Yohko helped an examinee to request accommodations from the school for their visual and auditory disabilities?

Japanese media FNN has taken noticed and reported Princess Akiko is the first Imperial family member to participate in an online session format. Public service cancellations continue through July so Princess Akiko has been catching up on reading and publishing papers.

Interesting observation from FNN and fodder for speculation. Are the scheduled activities of the other family members less amenable to the online format? Is videoconferencing too casual for the senior royals? Are Princess Akiko's foundation activities considered a private affair and not subject to royal protocol?

Following workshop cancelations due to the coronavirus pandemic, Shinyusha held its first online session on May 24. Princess Akiko and her panelists (chief priests or directors of various shrines) discussed the theme of "prayer" for an hour. Over 160 people attended the Zoom session which was open to Shinyusha members and non-members.

It sounds as if Shinyusha has drawn interest from high levels of religious society, although for all I know that may just be the consequence of Akiko's status as a royal.

On June 1st, Princess Akiko was appointed president of Ichimura Foundation for New Technology and honorary president of Classical Day Cultural Fund Awards Committee. Both organizations requested her patronage.

Her father Prince Tomohito was president of the Foundation from 1982 until his death in 2012.

I'm reminded of your discussion in the Takamado thread of the vagaries of the "requesting a patron" process. The eight-year gap between the loss of their former patron and the request for his "heiress" is interesting. I wonder if the organization and the princess perhaps had to create a working relationship before formalizing it with a patronage appointment.

Thank you for the news on the Mikasas!

I'm not sure if I understand. Does that mean Princess Yohko helped an examinee to request accommodations from the school for their visual and auditory disabilities?
You're welcome! I'm not sure what level of support Princess Yoko provided. The examinee did interact with the princess and received encouragement at least. Maybe Yoko connected the examinee with the appropriate person(s) to facilitate the request. The man in the photos is NPO Japan Universal Sound Design Association President Shinichiro Nakaishi and developer of the "comuoon" communication system.
Interesting observation from FNN and fodder for speculation. Are the scheduled activities of the other family members less amenable to the online format? Is videoconferencing too casual for the senior royals? Are Princess Akiko's foundation activities considered a private affair and not subject to royal protocol?
I suspect the IHA doesn't know how to balance COVID-19 and public service yet. So far, events outside of the Imperial Palace/family rituals are simply cancelled or postponed. Yes, I agree Princess Akiko has freedom because Shinyusha is her foundation.

I am frustrated. How will the Imperial family connect with the people amid COVID-19? Simply more lectures for Emperor and Empress? The IHA released Princess Aiko's sericulture photos recently for the first time even though Aiko's been raising silkworms for years. Seems like the agency struggling to provide some news (but still ignoring the Mikasa and Takamado families... :glare: ) Given Akiko's activities for Shinyusha, I think the extended families are doing something during this pandemic.

Last edited:
I suspect that maintaining relevance in the face of the ongoing pandemic is going to be a challenge for all the monarchies. It's complicated even more for the IHA because they are not noted for being particularly innovative or flexible to begin with. Interesting times ahead, that's for sure.

:previous: I agree. Will be interesting to see how the IHA deals with the pandemic. I don't anticipate social media, they'd lose a lot of power over the press but I hope the agency figures out something by autumn/winter... even without social media, other royal families are doing some engagements outside palace walls with masks or social distancing.

Princess Akiko and her cultural organization Shinyusha held an online session on June 28. The panel discussed "Nagoshi no Harae" (Purification Ritual of Summer's Passing) traditionally performed on June 30 at Shinto shrines.

Photos:

Since in-person workshops cannot be held, Shinyusha seems to be adapting quickly to the pandemic. 5 online sessions have been added.

2020/07/07 19:00-20:30 Tanabata (Star Festival)
2020/07/25 15:00-16:00 Dictionary
2020/08/08 15:00-16:00 Japanese mythology
2020/09/05 15:00-16:00 Tea part 2
2020/09/19 15:00-16:00 Japanese sweets

Source:

Last edited:
You're welcome! I'm not sure what level of support Princess Yoko provided. The examinee did interact with the princess and received encouragement at least. Maybe Yoko connected the examinee with the appropriate person(s) to facilitate the request. The man in the photos is NPO Japan Universal Sound Design Association President Shinichiro Nakaishi and developer of the "comuoon" communication system.

Interesting. I am curious about how Princess Yoko knew the examinee and became involved in their case and how the blog learned about it. It leads me to wonder if members of the imperial family unofficially intervene to help individuals on a regular basis.

In any case, it is lovely that the examinee was able to have a personal meeting with the princess. I imagine it is powerful to hear encouragement from someone who is not only a member of the imperial family but one with similar lived experiences.

I suspect that maintaining relevance in the face of the ongoing pandemic is going to be a challenge for all the monarchies. It's complicated even more for the IHA because they are not noted for being particularly innovative or flexible to begin with. Interesting times ahead, that's for sure.

:previous: I agree. Will be interesting to see how the IHA deals with the pandemic. I don't anticipate social media, they'd lose a lot of power over the press but I hope the agency figures out something by autumn/winter... even without social media, other royal families are doing some engagements outside palace walls with masks or social distancing.

What would be the most serious risks of becoming more flexible with public engagements and/or increasing their use of social media? Could you explain how it would risk the IHA's power over the press?

[...] What would be the most serious risks of becoming more flexible with public engagements and/or increasing their use of social media? Could you explain how it would risk the IHA's power over the press?
The IHA gives exclusives to the Imperial press club in return for nice coverage. If the agency simply posts on social media, there's less incentive to adhere to the IHA narrative. Major Japanese media still have a significant amount of deference for the Imperial family. Given the cultural differences, I don't think the Imperial press club will become like the UK royal rota (including tabloids or breaking embargoes) but the agency is probably wary of releasing content for "free."

Behind the Chrysanthemum Curtain - The Atlantic (November 1998)
[...] On the second floor of the Imperial Household Agency headquarters is a work space for palace press-club members. All Japan's prestigious media outlets maintain palace correspondents. Until recently no foreign news agencies were allowed; even now they are excluded from many important conferences. The mainstream Japanese journalists enjoy exclusive access to the frequent briefings given by agency officials and also to the less regular press conferences of royal-family members. The journalists not only obey news embargoes; they also prepare their questions together, taking pains to avoid sensitive subjects. For one interview with Princess Masako the journalists collectively decided not to ask anything about her childbearing plans—the question obviously on everyone's mind. [...]

The usual "How to modernize vs. staying traditional? How does a monarchy stay relevant?" questions...

Japan's incoming imperial couple offers the nation something new - Reuters (April 2019)
[...] “There were clearly two views. One, that, like Akihito, the emperor must be active and interact with people, and the other, that all he needs to do is pray,” said an ex-royal household agency official. “But considering the future, I don’t think we have both options. An emperor who simply exists would not gain the trust and empathy of the people.”

Though Naruhito, 59, intends to carry on his parents’ work, he also says the monarchy needs to adapt. Observers said that could mean speaking up and reaching out more, leveraging the family’s value as part of Japan’s identity.

“Given these times, the imperial family should use things like social networking to express their opinions to a certain degree,” said Rika Kayama, a psychiatrist and author of a book on the imperial women.

“If not words, then photos on Instagram,” she added, noting Naruhito has posed for selfies with bystanders overseas and Masako in particular may have things she wants to express. [...]
ETA: institutional taboos

Trouble at the Top: Japan's Imperial Family in Crisis | The Asia-Pacific Journal (June 2004)
[...] For a family that prefers to keep a low profile and adopt a kind of bland civil servant image, these are trying times for the Imperial Household. Swathes of the world's dwindling forests have been felled to fuel media speculation on the health of Princess Masako, her relationship with her husband Prince Naruhito and their struggles to produce a male heir to the world's oldest hereditary institution. Much of the blame for this unwanted attention lies with Naruhito himself, who sparked the latest media feeding frenzy with a barbed press conference in May.[1]

[...]

But which media are responsible for these stories? Not the big news gathering organizations in Japan which despite (or as many prefer to argue, because of) their exclusive membership in the IHA press club seldom report major scoops. Famously, it was the Washington Post that first told the world about Princess Masako's engagement to Naruhito in 1993, after the local newspapers had sat on the story for months. It was the London Independent that suggested in 2001 that Princess Aiko was the product of in-vitro fertilization, although it was widely rumored in Japan. And it was The Times that carried most of the above detail about Masako's current condition in a May 21st piece called "The Depression of a Princess."

It's all part of a long tradition of royal reporting in Japan by Big Media: kid gloves lobbing the softest of softballs to an institution that still seems suspended somewhere between heaven and earth in the journalistic pantheon. [...]

As Richard Lloyd Parry, author of the May 21st article says: "Japanese journalists knew all about Masako's illness and it didn't surprise any of them when we spoke to them. So why didn't they run the story? In my view it's because of the strange institutional taboos that still surround the Imperial Family, which are very murky and not rational and which have a lot to do with Japan's war and postwar history. This period has not been properly dispelled or digested. There is still unfinished business."

[...]

These journalists have exclusive access to briefings by agency officials and Imperial family members, and usually prepare their questions collectively before submitting them for vetting, shunning most sensitive issues. Their dismal performance over the years has earned the establishment press in Japan a reputation for at best timidity, at worst incompetence: "The Japanese media industry in general is hopelessly bad at what it does, but the IHA press club shows the worst aspects of the Japanese media," says Asano Kenichi, professor of journalism at Doshisha University and an ex-Kyodo News reporter. "The journalists there are not doing their job of informing the Japanese public about what goes on."[2]

[...]

Sometimes the insiders do this for drinking money, sometimes out of friendship with tabloid and other journalists and sometimes out of civic duty in a taboo-ridden system that many also find frustrating. The current Imperial correspondent for a major Japanese newspaper said: "I probably put in writing less than one-tenth of one-percent of what I see and hear. For a writer, that's a kind of torture. It's a real struggle to slow yourself down and just learn to watch." His colleague, who writes for a news agency goes further: "Not everybody agrees with me but personally I believe reporters should leak information when it is important and they cannot get it published, although I don't think they should do it for money or tell lies. It's a public service because there are many publications that don't have access."

So how do these much-maligned correspondents feel about their jobs and the recent reporting of the Masako issue? I interviewed two current and one former IHA press-club member for this article. Two work for major newspapers and one for a news agency.[4] Although they denied there was any taboo on reporting the Imperial Family, all refused to allow me to use their names, or even the organizations they work for. One spoke in such a secretive whisper my tape-recorder barely picked him up. We could have been doing a story on the Yakuza rather than on one of the most boring posts in Japanese journalism. Nevertheless, all three correspondents gave considered, thoughtful and sometimes surprising replies to most questions. From here on the interviewees will be referred to as Correspondents A, B & C.

[...]

My three interviewees, like all Imperial correspondents, have an opportunity to meet the emperor face to face at least once a year in the Tochigi Prefecture Imperial retreat for an informal chat. Would they question him this year (in September) about the Masako affair? All gave an unqualified no. Correspondent A said this was part personal (he didn't believe that Masako disliked the Emperor), part cultural (it's not 'Japanese' to make the other person deliberately feel uncomfortable in such a setting) and part political (there was nothing to be 'gained' by asking such questions, and probably a lot to be lost, implying he would be thrown out of the press club). Correspondents A & B said that Princess Masako's illness, the state of her marriage and the test-tube baby story are "personal issues." Correspondent B cited the need to be "120 percent accurate on Imperial stories." When questioned why, he said: "If I make a mistake on a business or crime story I have to make a formal apology. If I make a mistake on a story about the emperor, the head of the newspaper has to apologize." [...]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom