The Mikasa Family Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On April 29th, Princess Akiko attended the opening ceremony of the "6th World Martial Arts Festival" and "61st National Martial Arts Festival" in Kyoto.

Photos:
-----

On May 3rd, Princess Akiko attended Yabusame (mounted archery) at Shimogamo-jinja Shrine in Kyoto. She rode in a carriage with Sen Genshitsu, 15th generation Urasenke Tea Ceremony Grand Master. He's father-in-law of Princess Akiko's aunt, former Mikasa Princess Masako.

Photo: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=6227422960674337&set=pcb.6227463637336936

Last edited:
Princess Yuriko turns 100 on June 4. Granddaughter Princess Akiko responded to an interview with NHK (includes some photos) at the end of May.

Princess Akiko: “To put it bluntly, I always look at Her Imperial Highness (Princess Yuriko) and think that I want to grow old like that. I once again think that you are strong, and I always think while talking to you that I must become a person who can take everything calmly and gracefully like Her Highness."

Princess Yuriko’s daily life: reading books & magazines, doing crossword and jigsaw puzzles, watching news and baseball games. Sometimes goes for a drive. She watched this year’s WBC until late.

Princess Yuriko was honorary president of Imperial Gift Foundation Boshi-Aiiku-kai and Association of Promotion of Folk Costume Culture for many years.

In 1941, it was decided Yuriko Takagi would marry Prince Mikasa after graduating from Gakushuin Women's Academy. At first, she didn’t know what it was about. Yuriko recalls everyone was in shock. Her father was in a very difficult position. She declined 3 times but didn’t hear back, thinking “I’m in a desperate situation.”

There was much excitement at the first Imperial family wedding in 11 years. The Pacific War began shortly after their marriage and she was pregnant with Yasuko when Prince Mikasa was sent to Nanjing, China. In May 1945, their residence burned down in an air raid and the young family lived in an air shelter for a while.

Princess Yuriko supported her husband's post-war research activities such as commenting, "One part of the sentence is too long and I can't follow the content."

Prince Mikasa's assistant at the time and Former President of Tokyo Woman's Christian Universiy, Akiko Minato recalled Yuriko's organization and help. Sensei always wore a nice suit and tie, but he often said, "Because Yuriko chose it for me."

Princess Akiko served as chairman of the publishing committee for the recent biography on Prince Mikasa, taking her grandmother's oral history in proper form.

Princess Akiko: "I feel that Her Imperial Highness was the cornerstone of the Mikasanomiya family. I am extremely happy that she is still doing well and peacefully. It is a time to hear from Her Imperial Highness. I'm really very happy, and I've been taught a lot of things through casual conversations. I look forward to hearing many stories from you."

Last edited:
IHA released photos and video, taken on May 22, for Princess Yuriko's 100th birthday on June 4

Press release: Looking back on her more than 80 years as a member of the royal family, while working on her official duties, Princess Yuriko said, "I was busy making albums and keeping a diary of raising my five children, and I was busy and fulfilling every day." She recalls those days with "a deep sense of gratitude" for the support of her associates, including Prince Mikasa. "In addition, while looking forward to the growth of my grandchildren and great-grandchildren, I would like to continue to spend my days praying for the happiness of people."

Photos: Asahi, Sankei, Jiji, Mainichi

Princess Yuriko, Oldest in Japan's Imperial Family, Turns 100
"Today, I was able to reach the milestone of 100 years old, over 80 years after joining the Imperial Family at the age of 18," the princess, great-aunt of Emperor Naruhito, said in a statement released through the Imperial Household Agency. "I would like to continue spending my days while praying for people's happiness," she said.

[...]

For her health, the princess does exercise for about 15 minutes every morning. When the weather is good, she spends time in the garden at the estate to enjoy the sun and stroll around the Akasaka Estate in a wheelchair. Her daily routine also includes reading several newspapers and magazines. She also enjoys watching news and other programs and baseball games on television.
Asahi gallery of her life

Last edited:
A very Happy Birthday to her! 100 years old! That's amazing.

another gallery from Mainichi with a few older photos of Princess Yuriko. Not as much as Asahi's photo summary

The book she's reading in the photos is the biography of Prince Mikasa which was published last December. Princess Yuriko shared her memories for its publication.

Princess Yuriko, Oldest In Japan’s Imperial Family, Turns 100 - The Japan News
[...]

The princess has nine grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. “I’m looking forward to seeing their growth,” she said in the statement.

In December last year, the princess celebrated the publication of a memoir of Prince Mikasa, sharing her memories of the late husband through an oral history method.

On Jan. 1-2, she attended New Year’s events at the Imperial Palace. Later the same month, she met with new Imperial guards at the Akasaka Estate.

Takayoshi Mizushima, head of the Cultural Foundation for Promoting the National Consume of Japan, released a congratulatory statement for Princess Yuriko, who served as honorary president of the organization for 31 years between March 1979 and March 2010.

“We sincerely appreciate Princess Yuriko’s contributions to passing down Japanese culture through generations,” Mizushima said.
NTV video includes interview with Princess Akiko

"I have the impression that Princess Yuriko spends her days in a calm manner. She often watches baseball."

Princess Yuriko likes chestnuts. "We delivered a Mont Blanc. It was quite large, I thought some might be left but she ate it all at once, so I thought it was good."

"You're a wonderful person. You're always really calm, and I wish I could grow old like that. You're the kind of person who will become my goal. I wonder if it's the secret to a long life. The time spent talking with Her Highness while having tea with her is like a treasure to me, so I hope that these days will continue for a long time."
-----

NHK shared more of it's May 26 interview with Princess Akiko about Princess Yuriko and Prince Mikasa, including video.

- I think that Empress Teimei had a great foresight when she chose Her Imperial Highness (Yuriko).
- Prince Mikasa worked to bring the Imperial family closer to the people. He recalled "everyone stood upright, bowed their heads; there was no human-like contact before the war."
- some interactions should not be judged by modern standards. For example, Prince Mikasa asked Princess Yuriko, "Please copy this by tomorrow morning'' and she would copy the notebook. Although it may be conveyed like Kanpaku, Princess Yuriko was really happy about that, and she is happy to support him, so it would be nice to properly convey that kind of atmosphere. I edited it with that in mind.
- Prince Mikasa was very forward thinking and Princess Yuriko thought "I was getting in the way of your work or what you wanted to do" but Princess Akiko sees their personalities as complimentary. It's because of her Yuriko's support in a calm and slow manner that made their relationship strong.
- Princess Yuriko wanted to leave her memories in proper form. She approached Princess Akiko a little over a year after Prince Mikasa died.

Last edited:
On June 4th, Princesses Yuriko, Akiko, Yohko, Hisako and Tsuguko attended luncheon for Princess Yuriko's 100th birthday. (I think Noriko Senge attended as well. Looks like her seated behind Tsuguko in the van)

Photos: FNN

End of this video shows royals leaving (or arriving?)

-----

On May 28th, Princess Akiko supported 5 members of her cultural organization Shinyusha, who participated in the Ebisu Daikoku 100km marathon held in Shimane Prefecture. It's their 8th time participating and first time in 5 years.

Photos:
----

Back in May 2022, Princess Yohko met Filipino politician and former professional boxer Manny Pacquiao.

Photo:

On May 29th, Princess Akiko's Kyoto Cultural Special Seminar I & II learned about Noh from Udaka Tatsushige of the Kongo School. The class began with questions and answers about the Udaka's performance they attended a day earlier. Then, Udaka discussed masks, performing, structure, etc. before guiding the students through basic movements.

The students are preparing for a "Nōgaku" workshop in September. Princess Akiko is professor at Kyoto Sangyo University’s Institute of Japanese Culture and in charge of these seminars, often as part of Shinyusha activities.

Photos: https://www.kyoto-su.ac.jp/news/2023_fcsi/20230601_special_seminer_.html

On June 10th, Princess Akiko of Mikasa attended the "34th Life Welfare Course," organized by Social Welfare Corporation Arinomama in Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture. Princess Akiko serves as chairman, inheriting the position from her late father Prince Tomohito.

The annual course aims to raise awareness for welfare. This year's speakers included Sho Yoshida, an otolaryngologist and former Deaflympics volleyball player, to explain deafness and appeal for better understanding of hearing impairments.

In her greeting, Princess Akiko shared her father often said "the job of the Imperial family is to be close to the people and do what the people want."

Photo/video: TBS

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mikasa family Agenda for the week from July 3rd to July 9th:

July 7th: Princess Akiko: meeting with the Secretary General of the Japan-Türkiye Association.
July 8th: Princess Akiko: participation in the commemorative ceremony of the 60th anniversary of the founding of the National Youth Council.

Source: Asahi

More information from Princess Yuriko turning 100

Yuriko Takagi was invited to the residence of Empress Teimei to watch a movie on January 31, 1941. Prince Mikasa also attended. It was a de facto matchmaking (omiai). Empress Teimei's aide proposed marriage to the Takagi family on February 2nd.

Despite Yuriko declining 3 times (see post #666), the couple married on October 22 and Empress Teimei was scheduled to host a private banquet on the night of December 7. Emperor Showa suggested canceling the event because a celebratory dinner on the eve of the Pacific War could be criticized by historians later. However, the Imperial Household Minister argued canceling would actually hinder confidentiality so the banquet was held as planned.

Source: Mainichi

-----

Princess Akiko appears in Kankoboko's 42nd booklet. She visited the organization for the "Katamaru doll" restoration project in 2021. As a professor at Kyoto Sangyo University, Princess Akiko supported Kankoboko's activities, bringing students attending her Kyoto cultural seminars.

Photos:

On July 10th, Princess Nobuko met flower artist Yasuhiko Fujikawa and Toshio Terayama from Hanae Cultural Association. They gave her an original work by artist Nobuo Sugino created for Tokyo Flower Carpet 2023.

Photos:
-----

Princess Nobuko will unofficially visit Hungary August 2-8 at the invitation of the International Judo Federation, to attend the "2023 Judo World Masters" competition and visit the IJF headquarters.

Princess Nobuko has been an ambassador of the International Judo Federation since July 2019.

This will be her first visit to a foreign country since France in February 2020, when she attended the IJF's Grand Slam Paris competition, and it's her first visit to Hungary.

Princess Nobuko was diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer in November 2022 and has since made a good recovery from surgery and radiation treatments, returning to official duties.

Sources: NTV, Sankei

ETA: Tentative agenda from Jiji

August 3: visit International Judo Federation headquarters
August 4-6: attend 2023 Judo World Masters
She will also attend a luncheon hosted by Japan's Ambassador to Hungary.

Last edited:
Mikasa family Agenda for the week from July 10th to July 16th:

July 10th: Princess Nobuko: meeting with the retired Belgian ambassador in Tokyo.
July 14th: Princess Yōko: participating in the press conference on the occasion of the 23rd Self-Reliance Award in Miyagi Prefecture.
July 15th-16th: Princess Akiko: partecipating in Lipovitan D Challenge Cup 2023 Japan vs. All Blacks Fifteen in Kumamoto Prefecture.

On July 8th, Princess Akiko attended the 60th anniversary ceremony of the National Ujiko Youth Council / 61st Tokyo Meeting at Meiji Jingu Kaikan in Shibuya, Tokyo.

Photos/Facebook reel: https://www.facebook.com/reel/656390109851605

Note: Zenkoku Ujikoseinen Kyougikai (National Ujiko Youth Council) is an organization of young people gathering at shrines. The purposes include promoting and contributing to regional development.

Last edited:
On July 14th, Princess Yohko attended the press conference announcing winners of the 23rd Independence Awards, organized by social welfare corporation Arinomama, at the prefectural office in Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture. Princess Yohko is chairperson of the selection committee. She said "I would like to do my best so that we can lift up people who are still doing invisible activities."

Kumi Hayase (48), a pharmacist from Kanagawa Prefecture, won the Independence Grand Prize this year. Ms. Hayase, who is congenitally deaf, made her dream of becoming a pharmacist come true by campaigning to revise the Pharmacist Law which did not give licenses to deaf people.

Toshihiko Tamagawa (70), former chairman of the Japan Wheelchair Basketball Federation, was selected for the Grand Prize for Independence Support, which recognizes individuals and organizations that support people with disabilities.

The award ceremony will be held on July 22 at Sendai City Welfare Plaza.

Photos/info: TBS/TBC, FNN

Mikasa family Agenda for the week from July 17th to July 23th:

July 21th-23th: Princess Akiko: watching Japan National Team vs Samoa National Team, Lipovitan D Challenge Cup 2023 Pacific Nations Series, etc., in Hokkaido Prefecture.
July 22th: Princess Yōko: participating in the 23rd Self-Reliance Award Ceremony in Miyagi Prefecture.

On July 19th, Princess Yōko visited Teikyo University, Tokyo, as a guest speaker to lecture a class of the Faculty of Law. At the end of the lesson she answered the students' questions.
Princess Yōko was invited as a friend of the teacher, Meiji Kakizaki.

Source/Photos: Twitter

-----

Also on July 19th, Princess Yōko attended kendo training at the Teikyo University General Martial Arts Center, Tokyo.

Source/Photos: Twitter

Last edited:
Past activity:

On February 3rd, Princess Yōko attended a reception at the new Embassy of the Federal States of Micronesia hosted by Prime Minister Fumio Kishida in connection with the visit of Micronesian President David W. Paniuello and his wife to Japan.
Princess Yōko spoke with the President at the event.

Source/Photo: Facebook

Last edited:
:previous: Cool find!

-----

On July 22nd, Princess Yohko attended the 23rd Independence Awards, organized by social welfare corporation Arinomama, at Sendai City Welfare Plaza in Miyagi Prefecture. Princess Yohko is chairperson of the selection committee. Her father, Prince Tomohito, founded the awards.

She said, "Just like the words "just like that" attached to the award, everyone is working as they are. I think it’s wonderful that everyone is doing what they are doing and doing what they want to do."

This year, Kumi Hayase (48), a pharmacist from Kanagawa Prefecture who was born with hearing impairment, won the grand prize. She was highly evaluated for being the first deaf person in Japan to obtain a pharmacist license.

Toshihiko Tamagawa (70), former chairman of the Japan Wheelchair Basketball Federation, received the Independence Support grand prize.

Photo/sources: FNN, TBS/TBC
-----

ETA: On July 22nd, Princess Akiko attended the Lipovitan D Challenge Cup 2023 Pacific Nations Series match between Japan and Samoa national teams at Sapporo Dome in Hokkaido Prefecture.

Photos: https://www.rugby-japan.jp/gallery/#id732

Last edited:
Mikasa family Agenda for the week from July 24th to July 30th:

July 25th: Princess Nobuko: meeting with officials of the Women's Health and Menopause Association at the Imperial Household Agency, Tokyo.
July 27th: Princess Yōko: attending the 57th National Men's Kendo Dojo Tournament at Nippon Budokan (primary school division).
July 27th: Princess Nobuko: attending the 49th Florence Nightingale Medal Ceremony at the Tokyo Prince Hotel, Tokyo.
July 27th: Princess Nobuko: attending the National Building Maintenance Association 2023 Award Ceremony at the Asakusa View Hotel.
July 28th: Princess Yōko: attending the 57th National Men's Kendo Dojo Tournament at Nippon Budokan (junior high school division)
July 29th: Princess Akiko: watching the "Pacific Nations Lipovitan D Challenge Cup 2023: Japan VS Tonga" at the Hanazono Rugby Stadium.
July 30th: Princesses Akiko, Yōko: attending the Memorial Ceremony at Emperor Meiji's Mausoleum in Fushimi.

On June 17th, Princess Akiko and her cultural organization Shinyusha held a "Kimono dressing" online course with Sumie Nagakusa from Nagakusa Embroidery Studio.

Photos:
About | nagakusa-embroidery

-----

On July 1st, Princess Akiko and her cultural organization Shinyusha held a "Summer Sweets" online course ahead of Tanabata (Star Festival) on July 7. Lecturer was Mitsuharu Kurokawa, President & CEO & 18th generation leader of Toraya Confectionery.

Photos:
Toraya Confectionery Co. Ltd. - The official online store

On July 27th, Princess Yōko attended the 57th National Men's Kendo Dojo Tournament at Nippon Budokan (primary school division). She presented the prizes at the end of the competitions.

Source/Photos: Facebook

----

On July 28th, Princess Yōko attended the 57th National Men's Kendo Dojo Tournament at Nippon Budokan (junior high school division).

I hope better photos of both the events will be posted soon.

Source/Photo: Facebook

Last edited:
On July 2nd, Princess Akiko and her cultural organization Shinyusha weeded rice fields in Niigata Prefecture with farmers and students taking her rice workshop. Afterwards, they had lunch and reviewed the day.

Photos:
-----

ETA: On July 29th, Princess Akiko attended the Lipovitan D Challenge Cup 2023 Pacific Nations Series match between Japan and Tonga national teams at Hanazono Rugby Stadium in Osaka Prefecture.

Photos: https://www.rugby-japan.jp/gallery/#id734

Last edited:
Mikasa family Agenda for the week from July 31th to August 6th:

August 1st: Princess Yōko: attending the 47th "Water Day" ceremony and the "Thoughts of Water" event in Tokyo.
August 2nd: Princess Akiko: meeting with the President of Japan Pro Ski Teachers Association and others at the Mikasa residence.
August 2nd: Princess Nobuko: attending religious worship ceremonies at the Imperial Palace before leaving for Hungary.
August 2nd-4th: Princess Akiko: attending the 44th Japan Middle School Shogi Championship Tournament and paying a local office visit in Yamagata Prefecture.
August 2nd-8th: Princess Nobuko: departing for Hungary; attending the World Masters Hungary, hosted by the International Judo Federation, and other events; returning to Japan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom