The Imperial Family's Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jun5

Courtier
I think that the Japanese Imperial Family's the suit and the dress is conservative unlike The European Royals.

Please tell me your opinion about their clothes. Whom should they make a model?

Well, Crown Princess Masako DID just win the Hello! magazine voters award for Best-Dressed Royal Woman... so she can't be that badly dressed!

But I agree with you. I wish they'd update their style too. I understand that they have to look conservative, but they take the image too far. I don't know the culture, so I'm not sure what Masako could get away with, though. Would a skirt that hits above the knee or a slimmer style of blazer be considered unacceptable? I think she'd look much prettier that way. And she should stop wearing shoulder pads!

Originally posted by beebee@Oct 16th, 2003 - 5:20 pm
Well, Crown Princess Masako DID just win the Hello! magazine voters award for Best-Dressed Royal Woman... so she can't be that badly dressed!

But I agree with you.  I wish they'd update their style too.  I understand that they have to look conservative, but they take the image too far.  I don't know the culture, so I'm not sure what Masako could get away with, though.  Would a skirt that hits above the knee or a slimmer style of blazer be considered unacceptable?  I think she'd look much prettier that way.  And she should stop wearing shoulder pads!
Thank you very very much for your reply about this topic! :flower:

Your indication about the Imperial Family's cloyhes is wonderful! It is especially about Crown Princess Masako. shoulder pads! YES, That's right !

Your indication about the Imperial Family's cloyhes is wonderful! It is especially about Crown Princess Masako. shoulder pads! YES, That's right !  :lol:

For my own part, I'm new to Les Tribunes Royales, but this comment I just had to remark on - with the shoulder pads, it looks as if Crown Princess Masako was raiding Joan Collins' closet. :) In other words, I agree; Masako should lose the pads, even if a wave of '80's nostalgia _is_ going on these days.

The Japanese Imperial Family is provided by the national tax in all their living expenses. If they have the clothes of fashion on, there are people "they are wasting the tax" to them. I think that If they purchase their clothes using the same tax, I will want them to have the clothes of fashion on.

I tend to look at it this way; if their clothing budget is provided by taxpayer funds, I think the ladies of the Imperial Family are obligated to dress in the classiest, most stylish way permissible within the limits of that budget. After all, they're representing the nation. My question to those who whine about "they are wasting the tax" is this: do they REALLY want Japan to look dowdy, frumpish and dull to the rest of the world? Because if they have their way, that's exactly what will happen.

Masako and Kiko does not wearing a hat on official business recently. Their clothes became still more boring for me...  :( 

Oh, I agree. I personally think all women, royal or not, ought to wear hats more often, I really go for a lady in a pretty hat. ;)

I also want the Japanese Imperial Families to have the dress of fashion on like the clothes of the royal family of Europe!  :)

And the pennypinchers and misers, if they don't care for the way Masako and Kiko dress, should just go back to whatever the Japanese equivalent of Form 1040 is and file for tax deductions for people who don't want royals to dress nice. :p :)

-Joe-

One comment for you, jadmire.

The deal is, the people in Japan do pay tax for the royals, no matter if they whine or not. And the royals do spend that money, for the outdated and simple(the keyword of philosophy in Japan was always this, by the way) outfits. And the Japanese are aware of these two points: they are expensive, and outdated.
What I want to say is, the people don't want to look at them in such outfit, but the Imperial Family Household Agency(especially nowadays) does not let them dress cool. This Agency is like a whole ministry, so they make their own decisions and doesn't reflect anybody else's opinion. The royal family must follow what they say, and they cannot choose what the Agency doesn't offer.
And what kind of people are they in this agency? They are the heardheaded seniors(of course there are some younger ones, but still heardheaded anyway).
So unfortunatelly, it impossible to expect a cool fashion going around in the royal family anymore, probably for a long time.

I think in those days when the Empress Michiko was young, the agency did let her dress cool. But back then, Japan was still in the middle of growing its economical power, and everybody wanted everything cool and new, which is to copy the big countries in the West. So did the agency guys. But now that Japan went up to its top and starts to go down a little, the guys are wanting to make things more conservative, to try to go back to those good old days.

This is my interpretation...
ryo

Originally posted by ryo@Oct 18th, 2003 - 7:45 pm
One comment for you, jadmire.

This Agency is like a whole ministry, so they make their own decisions and doesn't reflect anybody else's opinion. The royal family must follow what they say, and they cannot choose what the Agency doesn't offer.
:angry: Just where does the Imperial Household Agency get off, telling the Imperial Family how to dress, anyway? There's something disrespectful if not outright insubordinate about the whole concept, to my way of thinking. It's as if the bureaucracy doesn't trust, for example, Masako and Kiko, who are presumably grown adults and intelligent people (and matrons with young children, to boot) to dress in a dignified and mature way. *fume* I think the Prime Minister ought to put aside cleaning up the loan situation at the banks for a little while and take a big broom to the Imperial Household Agency.

-Joe-

Yes, I think the Japanese RF's dress code is too old fashion, and lack of changes. Masako's fashion advisor should get fired. Because after Aiko was born, Masako's dresses are all very conservative, and dark coloured. She has a nice smile, a brighter colour outfit will change everything.

I would like to see Princess Aiko dressed in frillier, more feminine styles. Her little clothes are very severe. And they seem to dress her in a lot of white

can someone can tell me, which stylist the japanese women in the IRF use? Which are their apenage in the year?

The problem really is not about clothes, that is a symptom of the disease. The real villan in all of this is the Imperial Household Agency which needs to be abolished. It was the result of the decision by MacArthur to cut Hirohito down to size and turn the emperor into a puppet. Now such an approach in a constitutional monarchial democracy is just plain ridiculous. It is a part of the Japanese constitutional stucture that the Liberal Democrats who are really neither, need to undertake. Cheers.

In order for the Imperial family not to be anachronistic in their own country, it is important that they remain as conservative in public as possible, as that arena is where the VAST majority of their support comes from.

And also, I think it is a bit annoying that they continually be compared to the royal families of Europe. Not only is the position of the Imperial family much less stable (especially at the moment), but they have much more symbolic weight on their shoulders, and there are many issues tied up in the very existence of the Fushimi-no-miya. I am hinting, here, at the Yamato connections, the issues of divine right, and that is something which is impossible to relate or compare to the European experience.

But, just for the record, they do need a new imperial stylist.

I think Empress Michiko looks elegant when dressed in western clothes, but the younger princesses so often are dressed too old for their age. Kiko tends to look as though she's wearing Jackie Kennedy cast-offs a lot of the time.

I've just started to get interested in the Japanese Imperial Family having recently seen the videos posted on other threads and I am definately going through a Japan phase (sorry Denmark!). Anyway, I have only just found this thread.

With regard to the JIF mode of dress, it is like everything else they do, very very modest and conservative. I think the Empress is the epitome of natural elegance and her clothes are very beautiful and fit her tiny frame well. Her choice of colour and motif (especially the kimono sashes) are quite exquisite.:japanflag:

I think that the Japanese Imperial Family's the suit and the dress is conservative unlike The European Royals.

Please tell me your opinion about their clothes. Whom should they make a model?

I agree. Michiko's fashion sense is not too bad but she could get rid of her so-unfashionable small hats. Those hats are so out-dated. Kiko is one of the worst dressers among the Japanese female royalty. Her round hats look like as if they are based upon the 1950's Nora Batty-like design. Just so dreadful. At times, Masako gets it right but she, too, wear such somber looking outfits. Oh, not forgetting their ladies-in-waiting. Their outfits are horrible. They have not quite evolved since 1950's either.

They don't have to be come the dedicated followers of fashion but they should recruit some personal stylists from the Tokyo fashion scene.

I know that Michiko's hats aren't fashionable, but to me they're part of who she is--like Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother with her chiffon and off-the-face bretons. She's instantly recognizable, and she's such a tiny lady that the little hats are well-proportioned for her.

Masako seems to wear a lot of beige and cream, colours which I don't think do her justice. She looks nice in brighter colours; but I remember one of the posters here describing how the Japanese dress according to the seasons. Perhaps that's part of why it appears boring to westerners.

I agree. Michiko's fashion sense is not too bad but she could get rid of her so-unfashionable small hats.

I agree that the ‘forehead perching’ hat is Michiko’s trademark. But her well-coordinated dresses or suits are of elegance, though conservative. And her hats are uniquely designed to match her outfits. I understand that she only wore her dresses/suits/evening gowns once in public – she does not recycle (except for her kimono). And I think that photos do not justify the exquisiteness of her outfit. I had the opportunity to see her in person when the Imperial couple visited Singapore in 2006. Still remembered her maroon velvety jacket is of superb quality and eludes elegance. Coupled with her porcelain fair complexion (yes, her complexion is clear and shiny despite been 72 years old then) and the discreet smile, she exhibit refined grace and dignified propriety - the perfect image of a royal.

However, Masako and Kiko need to work on their wardrobe. Their outfits consist of boring jackets and skirts or pant suits in different colors with hardly any design on them. It is somehow similar to Letizia of Spain.

http://newsletter.nlb.gov.sg/back_aug_sep06/features/active/index07.asp

Last edited:
I think they dress the little Princess Aiko very well for her age! She looks exactly like a young princess should in my opinion.

I think Empress Michiko looks elegant when dressed in western clothes, but the younger princesses so often are dressed too old for their age. Kiko tends to look as though she's wearing Jackie Kennedy cast-offs a lot of the time.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I have often thought the IHA dresses all the Japanese princesses out of a 1960s Sears catalogue.

Yes Ortiz, I've noticed how tastefully and cute Aiko is dressed. Which is a relief after the jeans and sloppy sweat shirts worn by many "tweens" in the USA. That is the way private school and even public school children dressed in America years ago, much of the time.

I surely agree that Masako needs a style overhaul, but please do not have her skirts above her knees like some of the younger European and UK princesses, which would surely be considered undignified in a traditional culture like Japan. But get rid of shoulder pads and bulky jackets. And the pillbox hat Masako wore to the WA wedding was weird, made her look like a soldier at a sentinel box in a group of toy soldiers. Only her beautiful smile saved it. She could look so great with some better designs. I notice some people don't like Letizia's style but I think it would look good on Masako, and some of Mary or Mathilde's outfits would too. but not skirts above the knees.

Jun Ashida, who designed clothes for Imperial Family, celebrities, dies at 88 - The Mainichi
Jun Ashida, one of Japan's most famous fashion designers known for creating elegant clothes for the Imperial Family, including Empress Michiko, and celebrities, passed away on Oct. 20 due to pneumonia. He was 88.

[...]

The prominent figure tailored a suit for Emperor Akihito when he was a young Crown Prince and for this reason was appointed as an exclusive designer for Empress Michiko for 10 years from 1966. He also designed an evening dress for Crown Princess Masako for her wedding.

[...]
Jun Ashida, former personal designer for Empress Michiko, dies at age 88 | The Japan Times

Sankei report on Imperial women's clothes.

robe decollete: New Year's reception, Choken-no-Gi (First Audience)

robe montante: General public greetings, New Year's lectures and poetry, greetings for birthdays of Emperor and Empress

jūnihitoe: weddings, enthronement, court rituals

Imperial ladies will wear jūnihitoe at the October 22 enthronement ceremony. Although translated as "12-layer," the actual number of layers in a jūnihitoe varies. Empress Michiko wore 9 robes at the 1990 enthronement.

Empress Masako's outer layer is expected to be white. Kiko's jūnihitoe will be redesigned to reflect her position as crown princess. Other princesses will reuse the purple outer robes of the Heisei era. There will be differences in purple shades depending on age. Also the Nagabakama (formal version of the Hakama trousers) is different for married vs. unmarried women.

Some photos from Emperor Akihito's 1990 enthronement:

Sayako (unmarried princess)
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...he-sokuinorei-picture-id955206898?s=2048x2048
Notice her Nagabakama is dark purple whereas married women wore red Nagabakama.

Kiko, Hanako and Hisako (married princesses)
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...gi-during-the-picture-id955208620?s=2048x2048
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...gi-during-the-picture-id955206590?s=2048x2048
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...gi-during-the-picture-id955208622?s=2048x2048

Kikuko and Yuriko (older married princesses)
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...gi-during-the-picture-id955206588?s=2048x2048
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...he-seidennogi-picture-id955185936?s=2048x2048

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that information, Prisma. I am looking forward to seeing the junihitoe of all the imperial ladies, but especially Masako's.

Was there a description of the difference between the robe décolleté and the robe montante?

Edited to add: Especially since I don't really think any of the imperial ladies ever wear something that I would call décolleté in the usual sense of exposed chest--a few collar bones is the most we usually see!

:previous: Yes, these are Japanese interpretations of robe décolleté and robe montante.

robe décolleté: long dress usually with short sleeves, open neckline, and often in white or pale colors. Orders, long gloves, and tiaras for the most formal ceremonies.

Princess Tsuguko and Hisako's necklines are wide or deeper:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6_C1mrUIAEuM_2.png

Princess Akiko on the far right:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5w7eMZUEAE1cif.jpg

robe montane: long dress with long sleeves, short or high neckline. Hats often accompany "robe montante" for daytime ceremonies.

https://www.sankei.com/images/news/190531/lif1905310024-p1.jpg
https://bunshun.jp/mwimgs/3/f/1500wm/img_3fafbb3a388c703c4fd6a6880f541a23140939.jpg
https://bunshun.jp/mwimgs/e/e/1500wm/img_eeb4a81cc4a380c3c25965ef72b24368137225.jpg

Last edited:
Sankei translated their clothing article!

What Japan's Royal Women Wear | JAPAN Forward
[...]

The Grandeur of the Jūnihitoe this October

[...]

The Emperor will be clothed in the kourozennogohou, a robe which is also used for rituals at the Imperial Palace. It is only permitted to be worn by the Emperor.

Crown Prince Fumihito is expected to appear in the ouninohou, which is a robe specifically reserved for imperial princes.

The Empress and princesses will be wrapped in the jūnihitoe or, as it is formally known, the itsutsuginu-karaginu–mo. It is assumed that the base color of the Empress’s karaginu, which is the outermost layer, will be white.

While Crown Princess Kiko’s karaginu will be newly ordered, the other imperial princesses will be wearing purple karaginu that were used during the Heisei era. Different shades of purple will be worn based on the women’s seniority.

The nagabakama is the longer version of hakama, a traditional trousers-like clothing worn with the robes. The type of nagabakama to be worn differs based on the royal member’s marital status.

Unmarried royal women, such as Princess Mako, the eldest daughter of Crown Prince Fumihito and Crown Princess Kiko, will be wearing a dark shade of purple. The wives of other imperial family members, on the other hand, will be wearing a special shade of scarlet.

Kazu Ito is a designer for the Imperial family. Born 1947, graduated from Sugino Dressmaker Jogakuin in 1970, studied with mother Sumako Ito, and trained in France.
http://kazu-ito.com/pr.html
http://kazu-ito.com/Kprofil.jpg

1990: wedding clothes for Princess Kiko, designed with her mother Sumako Ito
1993: wedding clothes for Crown Princess Masako, designed with her mother Sumako Ito (probably one of the evening dresses as Hanae Mori designed Masako's Western wedding dress and Jun Ashida designed another wedding evening dress)
1994: clothes for Crown Princess Masako's visit to the Middle East
1998: garden party clothes for Crown Princess Masako and Princess Kiko
1998: clothes for Crown Princess Masako at Nagano Olympics
1998: clothes for Princess Kiko's visit to Southeast Asia
1999: clothes for Crown Princess Masako's visit to Belgium
2002: clothes for Crown Princess Masako's visit to Australia and New Zealand
2005: clothes for Crown Princess Masako at World Expo in Aichi Prefecture

Sumako Ito designed the ivory dress Masako often wore to balcony appearances and the 2013 Dutch Inauguration. [bunshun.jp]

Last edited:
Masako wore Maxim Kobe hats early in her marriage.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4ooXcxg1Pa/

White hat - Ise Jingu in 1993
Green hat - tech session in Mie Prefecture & duck release at Imperial Duck Preserves in 1993
Navy/black hat with white band - Nara in 1994

Atelier Tsunoda Akemi designed Masako Owada's yellow dress and coat for the engagement announcement/press conference. Les Belles Modes specially made the matching hat. Masako wore Ryusuke Kawamura heels.

The atelier designed for Masako's mother Yumiko and also created clothes for Masako to wear for domestic public duties, foreign visits, and court banquets.

Photos/Sources: mi-mollet, dot.asahi, dot.asahi 2

Les Belles Modes began accepting orders from Empress Kojun in 1934 and has continued to provide hats for the Imperial family, including the weddings of Empress Michiko, Empress Masako, and Crown Princess Kiko.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom