The Enthronement Ceremony Of The Emperor Of Japan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw The Coronation Ceremony pictures for the first time.
I am very interested in ceremony of The Imperial Family of Japan.
But, I can't find the pictures of The Coronation Ceremony Of Japan
on the Internet.
So, I am very glad to see this photograph!
This ceremony is very ancient and beautiful!
Of course, this ceremony is oriental,but a little Europe style.
It is very interesting!

I would like to see this photograph more very much.
Could you show me more pictures of this ceremony?
(Oriental one and Europian one)

from Getty Images

Attachments

• __21363___20301_.jpg
    __21363___20301_.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 813
I read that some royals were present at the enthronization of HIM Emperor Akihito of Japan in Tokyo in 1990:

Denmark - HM Queen Margrethe II and HRH Prince Hendrik
Great-Britain - TRH Crown Prince Charles and Crown Princess Diana
The Netherlands - HRH Crown Prince Willem-Alexander
Spain - HRH Crown Prince Felipe
Western Samoa - HM King Tanumafili II

I would like to see photos of these royals

*ROYAL GUESTS*

AT THE BANQUET
Denmark - HM Queen Margrethe II and HRH Prince Hendrik

Attachments

• Margrethe II.jpg
    Margrethe II.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 4,491
Last edited:
Thank you all for posting such wonderful photos of such an historic event.

Sweden-King and Queen
Luxembourg-Grand Duke and Grand Duchess
Thiland-Crown Prince
Kuwait-Prince Nasel??(I don't know the spelling)
Tonga-Princess and her hasband

Attachments

• スエーデングスタフ.jpg
    スエーデングスタフ.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 6,338
  • ルクセンブルクジャン大公.jpg
    ルクセンブルクジャン大公.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,620
  • タイワチュラロンコーン.jpg
    タイワチュラロンコーン.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,818
  • クウェートナセル.jpg
    クウェートナセル.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,890
  • トンガピロレヴ.jpg
    トンガピロレヴ.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,945
Last edited:
Japan - Coronation Ceremony

Can anyone help me please?
I found some interesting pictures of the coronation of Emperor Akihito of Japan, but I want to know how the ceremony is held in detail. That means, who does what at a certain time. Especially in a shintoistic point of view. Details about the funeral of a member of the royal family or even the emperor himself would be fine as well.

Thanks in advance!

What an interesting question. Does anyone know the answer or can anyone provide a link to the answer?

Gentry

I am no expert in this, but I have read that there are several ceremonies for what is called an Imperial Enthronement. There is no Japanese 'crown" at all. The Emperor takes possession of the 3 Sacred Relics of the Sun Goddess privately ( a mirror, a sword, and a necklace.) Later there is a traditional enthronement ceremony in which Emperor and Empress appear in ancient dress seated on elaborate throne structures in the old Palace at Kyoto are recieve homage. Still later, the Emperor alone observes a sacred ritual meal alone in a nocturnal ritual of the Sun Goddess.

Last edited:
Gutsy said:
I am no expert in this, but I have read that there are several ceremonies for what is called an Imperial Enthronement. There is no Japanese 'crown" at all. The Emperor takes possession of the 3 Sacred Relics of the Sun Goddess privately ( a mirror, a sword, and a necklace.) Later there is a traditional enthronement ceremony in which Emperor and Empress appear in ancient dress seated on elaborate throne structures in the old Palace at Kyoto are recieve homage. Still later, the Emperor alone observes a sacred ritual meal alone in a nocturnal ritual of the Sun Goddess.
That sounds like an incredibly beautiful ceremony. Thank you for the information, Gutsy.

Question: does the Japanese public see the Emperor and Empress at all during these ceremonies??

Royalist

Julia said:
That sounds like an incredibly beautiful ceremony. Thank you for the information, Gutsy.

Question: does the Japanese public see the Emperor and Empress at all during these ceremonies??

Thank you for the kind words!
As I understand it only the ceremonial enthronement ceremony is public. I remember seeing pictures somehwre of it (perhaps on these forums?) and vaguer memories of TV coverage in 1991 (?)when the current Emperor was enthroned. Definitely the enthronement at Kyoto is THE public event and involves the Empress as well. The other 2 ceremonies are private.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom