The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1081  
Old 10-20-2018, 03:15 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bay Area, United States
Posts: 6,144
On October 15th, the Constitutional Democratic Party (CDP) held its 4th meeting on stable Imperial Succession and welcomed Teijirō Furukawa, former Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary, as lecturer.

Furukawa directed events related to Emperor Showa's mourning period and Emperor Akihito's enthronement for the bureaucracy.

Unfortunately, the CDP has not updated its website yet so there's only committee chair Banri Kaieda's tweet.

https://twitter.com/banrikaieda/stat...48195238199298
Reply With Quote
  #1082  
Old 10-28-2018, 01:56 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bay Area, United States
Posts: 6,144
On October 25th, the CDP held its 5th meeting on stable succession and welcomed Shinji Yamashita as lecturer. Yamashita worked for the IHA for 23 years including 7 years as media liaison (1988-1995). He provided valuable experience on how the Imperial Household Agency works.

Again, source is Banri Kaieda's tweet because the CDP website has not updated about the 4th or this 5th meeting.

https://twitter.com/banrikaieda/stat...92951923163136

A bit more on Yamashita at the bottom of his profile on CP Naruhito in May for Nippon.com: "After leaving the IHA in 2001, he was a director at a publishing company before going freelance in 2004. Active as a television analyst and a writer. Works include Ima shitte okitai tennō to kōshitsu (Understanding the Emperor and Imperial Family Today)."
Reply With Quote
  #1083  
Old 11-06-2018, 01:40 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bay Area, United States
Posts: 6,144
Not surprising. I thought the delay was already confirmed? Even if there are discussions, I expect much talking and no action from the current government.

Japan's government to delay discussion on creating female Imperial branches | The Japan Times
Quote:
[...]

The government will not launch in-depth discussions on the issue at least until after Crown Prince Naruhito accedes to the throne on May 1 next year, the sources said.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told the Diet last week that there are many different views about the proposal to allow the creation of female Imperial branches.

“A full analysis and consideration as well as careful procedures are needed to build a national consensus,” Abe said.

[...]

Abe’s caution over the proposal comes as conservatives, his main support base, worry that establishing such branches will eventually allow female Imperial family members or people on the maternal Imperial bloodline to accede to the throne.

A resolution attached to a law on Emperor Akihito’s abdication enacted in June last year calls on the government to deliberate the proposed creation of female Imperial branches. But the dominant view within the government is that it will be difficult to reach a national consensus on the matter, the sources said.

“There is no rush to reach a conclusion,” noted one of the sources, [...]
Reply With Quote
  #1084  
Old 11-06-2018, 03:52 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,788
If we all close our eyes perhaps the problem will go away...
Reply With Quote
  #1085  
Old 11-06-2018, 04:27 AM
M. Payton's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,850

And with eyes closed then eventually the royal family will fade away and will be be no more....such is the way of getting rid of a monarchy be it constitutional or not.......

Does Japan really want that to happen?
Reply With Quote
  #1086  
Old 11-06-2018, 05:45 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 8,548
So, what woild happen if Hisahito dies withour off-spring and if they did allow for female branches? Which branch would be the most likely to provide the next emperor?
Reply With Quote
  #1087  
Old 11-06-2018, 06:25 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NN, Lithuania
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
So, what woild happen if Hisahito dies withour off-spring and if they did allow for female branches? Which branch would be the most likely to provide the next emperor?
This is the most important question in this situation. Delay allows to skip Aiko and go to Mako and Kako or, maybe, Hisahito's future daughters.
Aiko is not very exciting potential empress. So the government's decision makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old 11-07-2018, 12:13 AM
CrownPrincessJava's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ,, Australia
Posts: 1,260
What astonishes me is that the Japanese government and Imperial Family are more content for the Imperial family to become extinct than the prospect of a Royal Princess, or a male from a maternal branch, ascending the throne.
Reply With Quote
  #1089  
Old 11-07-2018, 12:56 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
If we all close our eyes perhaps the problem will go away...
What problem (for the government)? Going the route of a smaller imperial family will doubtlessly be a problem for Emperor Akihito and those who agree with his ideas about the monarchy, but it will be welcomed by Prime Minister Abe and those who agree with his ideas about the monarchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
And with eyes closed then eventually the royal family will fade away and will be be no more....such is the way of getting rid of a monarchy be it constitutional or not.......

Does Japan really want that to happen?
I don't think there is any chance of Japan getting rid of its monarchy in the near future, even if the current imperial family goes extinct.

See my post #1074:
There is no risk of the monarchy going extinct as long as a heavy majority of the population and politicians continue to be in favor of the monarchy. There was an Ipsos MORI poll this year with only 4% of Japanese agreeing that abolishing their monarchy would "make things better", while 35% thought it would "make things worse". Should Hisahito never produce a male heir, the Imperial House Law will be amended so that there is a successor.

But continuing as is increases the risks that:


1. The number of royal engagements undertaken by the imperial family will drop.

This is guaranteed to happen when the older generation retires and the younger generation of princesses are married, since the latter will lose their status when they marry, and the imperial family will shrink.


2. Hisahito's successor grows up as a private citizen, not educated for taking on the duties of an emperor and not likely to have stayed neutral in relation to his or her business engagements or political stances prior to being chosen as the successor.

That would be expected to happen if Hisahito cannot produce a male heir and his daughters are not allowed to reign, or if he produces no children. All of the relatives who would be under consideration for succeeding Hisahito (descendants of ex-princesses and male-line descendants of ex-princes) would be commoners.

The knowledge that the public overwhelmingly wants to maintain the monarchy, and would not want to get rid of it even if the current royal line were to go extinct, is one of the reasons why delaying is a good strategic choice for politicians who oppose female succession.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
What astonishes me is that the Japanese government and Imperial Family are more content for the Imperial family to become extinct than the prospect of a Royal Princess, or a male from a maternal branch, ascending the throne.
Which member(s) of the Imperial Family? Emperor Akihito has sent the clear message that he supports the introduction of male-preference primogeniture, even though he was unwilling to accept equal inheritance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
This is the most important question in this situation. Delay allows to skip Aiko and go to Mako and Kako or, maybe, Hisahito's future daughters.
Aiko is not very exciting potential empress. So the government's decision makes sense.
Abe's government opposes female branches on principle. I do not think they would find the idea of Mako, Kako, or Hisahito's daughter ascending the throne any more exciting than Aiko.
Reply With Quote
  #1090  
Old 11-07-2018, 01:53 AM
CrownPrincessJava's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ,, Australia
Posts: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Which member(s) of the Imperial Family? Emperor Akihito has sent the clear message that he supports the introduction of male-preference primogeniture, even though he was unwilling to accept equal inheritance.

The soon-to-be Crown Prince comes to mind. He went as far to say that they should reintroduce concubines. And it seems the Emperor's acceptance to the introduction to male-preference primogeniture only occurred when he realises how close the Imperial Family is to becoming extinct if nothing occurs.



I understand how the Japanese culture is, but it still amazes me that the Imperial Family and general public, who clearly adore their Imperial Family, are willing to sit back and wait and see.



Honestly, the actions made by the Government, and the Imperial Family to an extent, shows me that they would rather no Royal family than have one headed by a Empress regent, or an Emperor descendant from a maternal line.



Wow. The mind boggles...
Reply With Quote
  #1091  
Old 11-07-2018, 02:08 AM
M. Payton's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,850


And to think that Japan at one time had an Empress as Regent without a male. It boggles the mind how narrow/small the mind of male species in the Japanese government works in this world today. And to think the people voted for this in their government........
Reply With Quote
  #1092  
Old 11-07-2018, 02:26 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bay Area, United States
Posts: 6,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
This is the most important question in this situation. Delay allows to skip Aiko and go to Mako and Kako or, maybe, Hisahito's future daughters.
Aiko is not very exciting potential empress. So the government's decision makes sense.
I disagree with your comment on Aiko.

The traditionalists don't want any female successors or even female-led Imperial branches. Doesn't matter if it's Aiko, Mako, Kako, or Hisahito's daughters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
The soon-to-be Crown Prince comes to mind. He went as far to say that they should reintroduce concubines. And it seems the Emperor's acceptance to the introduction to male-preference primogeniture only occurred when he realises how close the Imperial Family is to becoming extinct if nothing occurs. [...]
I believe it was Prince Tomohito of Mikasa who mentioned reintroducing concubines. Not Prince Akishino.

The reality of the rapidly decreasing Imperial family probably forced a new perspective for the emperor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post


And to think that Japan at one time had an Empress as Regent without a male. It boggles the mind how narrow/small the mind of male species in the Japanese government works in this world today. And to think the people voted for this in their government........
I don't think the Imperial family was high on the minds of voters. The public sympathizes but the economy, North Korea, jobs, health care, etc. take priority. In addition, the opposition is weak and ineffective. I read someone reluctantly voted for the LDP as TINA "there is no alternative" in last year's elections.
Reply With Quote
  #1093  
Old 11-07-2018, 03:53 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,788
Aiko, Mako and Kako simply identify themselves as males. - Problem solved.
The conservatives gonna love that one!

The proposal is no more absurd than the government bringing themselves in a situation where there is a genuine risk of the PM being tapped on the shoulder one day: Excuse me, sir. It appears we no longer have an Imperial lineage.
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old 11-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Furienna's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post


And to think that Japan at one time had an Empress as Regent without a male. It boggles the mind how narrow/small the mind of male species in the Japanese government works in this world today. And to think the people voted for this in their government........
As I have understood it, all of the new emperors for many centuries (many millennia) came from the same paternal line. Even if there have some times been a reigning empress between two men on the throne. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old 11-14-2018, 10:46 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
As I have understood it, all of the new emperors for many centuries (many millennia) came from the same paternal line. Even if there have some times been a reigning empress between two men on the throne. Am I wrong?
That is correct, because all of the husbands of the empresses (four empresses had been widowed, and the other four did not marry) were their paternal relatives. Empress Suiko was married to her half-brother (son of her father), Empress Kogyoku/Saimei and Empress Jito were married to their uncles (brothers of their fathers), and Empress Genmei was married to her cousin/nephew (son of her sister, who was married to their father's brother). So, when the children or grandchildren of the empresses succeeded to the imperial throne, the new emperor or empress came from the same paternal line.

This is one of the objections from traditionalists to female succession: In this day and age, Aiko, Mako, and Kako would certainly not marry a brother or uncle, and the odds are that they would not marry a cousin from the same paternal line.
Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:05 AM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 4,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
That is correct, because all of the husbands of the empresses (four empresses had been widowed, and the other four did not marry) were their paternal relatives. Empress Suiko was married to her half-brother (son of her father), Empress Kogyoku/Saimei and Empress Jito were married to their uncles (brothers of their fathers), and Empress Genmei was married to her cousin/nephew (son of her sister, who was married to their father's brother). So, when the children or grandchildren of the empresses succeeded to the imperial throne, the new emperor or empress came from the same paternal line.

This is one of the objections from traditionalists to female succession: In this day and age, Aiko, Mako, and Kako would certainly not marry a brother or uncle, and the odds are that they would not marry a cousin from the same paternal line.
At one point I did see a possible match between Aiko and Hisahito very delicately hinted at, although personally I agree that this is very unlikely in this day and age. However, the traditionalists are a determined bunch, so we will see how this plays out over time. I can't imagine that either Aiko or Hisahito would be wildly enthusiastic about this.
Reply With Quote
  #1097  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
At one point I did see a possible match between Aiko and Hisahito very delicately hinted at, although personally I agree that this is very unlikely in this day and age. However, the traditionalists are a determined bunch, so we will see how this plays out over time. I can't imagine that either Aiko or Hisahito would be wildly enthusiastic about this.
Quite interesting. Can you recall who offered this suggestion, and what the reaction was at the time?
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 4,171
Unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly who or where, but I usually read the Japan Times, or translations of other mainstream Japanese media when I am able. It may have been in one of those. This was at least a couple of years ago, perhaps longer, and I never saw any kind of reaction (letters, comments on fora, etc.) There may have been, but I wasn't aware of it. The comment itself was pretty oblique, like a lot of discussion about the Imperial family.

(edited for clarity)
Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,586
Thanks! I suspect that the commenter's decision to remain very oblique indicates that they knew or assumed there would be much opposition to their suggestion (which perhaps came from being unwilling to accept maternal succession but uncomfortable with bypassing the only child of the Crown Prince altogether).
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old 11-14-2018, 09:06 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 4,171
I suspect you are correct!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aiko, iha, imperial household agency, japanese imperial family, japanese royal family, princess aiko, princess toshi, succession


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belgian Abdication, Succession and Constitutional Issues Marengo Royal Family of Belgium 22 01-29-2023 07:18 PM
Membership of Royalist / Monarchist Organisations Royalist0007 Royal Chit Chat 15 12-27-2022 01:19 PM




Popular Tags
abdullah ii africa albert prince consort all tags america arcadie arcadie claret british british royal family caroline charles iii claret congo current events danish royal family death denmark duchess of kent elizabeth ii emperor naruhito empress masako espana garsenda genealogy general news grimaldi hamdan bin ahmed harry history identifying introduction jewels jordan royal family king king charles king philippe king willem-alexander leopold ier louis mountbatten matrilineal monaco monarchy mountbatten need help official visit portugal prince albert monaco prince christian princess of orange queen queen alexandra queen camilla queen elizabeth queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria republics restoration royal initials royal wedding spain spanish history spanish royal family state visit switzerland tiaras william wine glass woven


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023
Jelsoft Enterprises