The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-29-2020, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
Tabloids focused on Princess Tsuguko late 2019 and early 2020 about a possible engagement.

Jprime December 17, 2019 reported Princess Tsuguko would soon be engaged to her boyfriend of several years, a major bank employee. Reporters tried to ask him (referring to him as Mr. A) in November while he hailed a taxi but he quickly escaped.

Bunshun followed Princess Tsuguko and her alleged boyfriend leaving a seafood pub in Ginza on January 10. Photos include Princess Tsuguko and a female friend visiting an Okinawan restaurant in September 2019.

Bunshun become bold. Their reporters caught Princess Tsuguko and her alleged boyfriend on January 29 leaving a shabu-shabu restaurant in Roppongi.

Exchange on page 2
Reporter: Did you hear that your engagement is likely to be announced?

Tsuguko: No... I haven't.

Reporter: What is your relationship with Mr. A, who is with you?

Tsuguko: It is a friend

Reporter: So, are there any other people who love you?

Tsuguko: No, I don't.

Reporter: It is often reported about marriage...

Tsuguko: I'm not saying anything to anyone.

Reporter: So, the engagement rumor isn't true?

Tsuguko: Indeed

Reporter: 6 years have passed since you said in 2014 that you probably wouldn't marry for at least 3-4 years. How do you feel now?

Tsuguko: Indeed (laughs) but he's a friend.

It is an interesting double standard (from my perspective as a foreigner) how discussion of grave royal issues such as Emperor Showa's war responsibility is controversial and curbed, and yet walking up to a royal at a restaurant to press her about her romantic prospects is unremarkable.

It seems as if Princess Tsuguko won't be departing the imperial family in the near future, perhaps to her mother's disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu_zhidao View Post
I think this picture is a good example of how Princess Tsuguko was a little more rebellious:

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...11?s=2048x2048

Although not very extreme, her makeup is definitely gyaru inspired, and I think she had a fake tan as well. She's much paler now. There was also a time when she dyed her hair, something most Japanese royals don't do. Unless they're hiding their graying hair *cough*the Crown Prince*cough*
It never occurred to me, but now that you mention it, it does seem much nearer to the image of a 'gyaru' than for example the Akishino princesses, who seem to adopt a much more traditionalist aesthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Princess Tsuguko is well known to have been a bit of a wild child in her younger years. There were many references in gossip columns at the time.

In this linked article about the press coverage of Princess Noriko's engagement, there is a short paragraph towards the end of the article about Tsuguko, and what a challenge she was to Princess Hisako:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XvdyYS-ZPjA
Quote:
Fortunately, both Akiko and Tsuguko have some fans despite the lack of official coverage. I can understand for Akiko since she's more visible as a professor at various universities and has many patronages but Tsuguko doesn't have as much public service.
I wonder if the apparent "royal rebel"/Roppongi party girl reputation in the media accounts for the existence of a fanbase?

Old 06-29-2020, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Wouldn't Tsuguko be supposed to deny everything until it is announced? And if they are indeed not yet engaged, she can truthfully deny the rumor even if they would be considering marriage; I just hope that if she wants to marry him, he is considered worthy of a marriage to an imperial princess.

The 'a friend' is what we've heard in many countries when a boy friend or girl friend of a royal showed up. Not sure how whether it works the same in Japan though.

Old Yesterday, 02:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, her denial would be expected. It's also highly unusual for media to approach any Imperial family member outside the choreographed press conferences/photo ops. I can't recall that happening before. Perhaps Bunshun thought it safe to ask a lower-ranking member. I doubt any media would try to interview Princesses Mako or Kako when they're out privately.

Princess Hisako's message for the 2020 Digital Japan Bowl on May 29, skip to 9:20

2020 Japan Bowl Program, page 2 includes her message and a formal photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hisako_japanbowlpdf.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	302215
Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

A nice and friendly message from HIH.

Quote:
Yes, her denial would be expected. It's also highly unusual for media to approach any Imperial family member outside the choreographed press conferences/photo ops. I can't recall that happening before. Perhaps Bunshun thought it safe to ask a lower-ranking member. I doubt any media would try to interview Princesses Mako or Kako when they're out privately.
Thank you for clarifying! Should we give more credibility to the speculation, then, in view of Bunshun's atypical display of confidence?

Tags
hisako, princess hisako, princess takamado, takamado