Princess Hisako Takamado and Family: News and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Hisako turns 70 on July 10 and Nippon TV shares a story from former ballet dancer Miyako Yoshida.

Princess Hisako and Noriko Senge visited the New National Theatre in April. Miyako Yoshida, now artistic director of the theater's ballet company and a longtime friend, welcomed them. The performance was a new Shakespeare ballet. Princess Hisako thanked them for the hard work, saying "Ballet isn't just about dancing. Ballet is both stage and theater, so I think everyone was able to express that very well.”

Princess Hisako sometimes gives advice to Ms. Yoshida. "We've been exchanging emails in the middle of the night, [I'm] wondering when you'll be asleep, but (in your busy schedule) just coming to the theater is encouraging." On that day, Princess Hisako coordinated her outfit to match the green fairy costume. "Coordinating with ballet performances, I think that kind of consideration is wonderful," said Ms. Yoshida.

Source: NTV

ETA: The Shakespeare ballets were based on "Macbeth" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

"Macbeth" was created by British choreographer Will Tucket and is the first production in the world.

The late Prince Takamado supported ballet, becoming known as the "Prince of Ballet." Princess Hisako continues the work: attending performances, visiting dancers backstage and giving encouragement.

Miyako Yoshida says the impetus for the "Macbeth" ballet was Princess Hisako, who sent Yoshida the play's ballet music CD, suggesting a new production.

The late Prince Takamado said, "We must do what we have to do as the theater's exclusive ballet company. What I mean by that is, I wanted to create something that only this company can do, such as large-scale, innovative, and the latest overseas, so that it would remain in the company's repertoire. We should create something."

Photos: NTV2

Last edited:
On July 12th, Princess Hisako began a 2-day visit to Yamagata Prefecture. She went to Tendo Civic 1st Junior High School in Tendo City where students presented their volunteer activities such as fundraising for the Turkey-Syria earthquake. The Youth Red Cross has been active at the school since 2018.

Later, Princess Hisako visited a blood donation drive at Nitto Best Yamagata Factory in Yamagata City. The business has been making company-wide blood donation efforts for 50 years.

She will attend the Prefectural Red Cross Convention to be held at Yamagin Kenmin Hall in Yamagata City on the 13th.

Photos/videos: yamagata-np.jp, Yomiuri

=====

Princess Hisako's other agenda for week of July 10-16 per Asahi

July 11: meeting with the President of the Japan Basketball Association and others at the Takamado residence

July 14: MS&AD Cup 2023 Nadeshiko Japan vs. Panama Women's National Team match in Miyagi Prefecture

July 15: 38th Tokyo Comprehensive Art Exhibition for People with Disabilities commendation ceremony at Seibu Ikebukuro Main store in Toshima, Tokyo

Asahi's Imperial schedule now requires membership but someone copied this week's schedule to their blog https://blog.goo.ne.jp/umenohanatiru/e/917130da6ba085e37da2dde2c59fe269

=====

ETA: On July 2nd, Princess Hisako attended the 55th JNSA (Japan National Student Association) Trophy Intercollegiate English Oratorical Contest at the Yomiuri Shimbun headquarters in Chiyoda, Tokyo.

The 55th JNSA Trophy All Japan Intercollegiate English Oratorical Contest / Tokai University Sophomore Wins Top Prize - The Japan News (includes photo of Princess Hisako with winner Erika Oyu)

Last edited:
On July 13th, Princess Hisako attended the Yamagata Prefectural Red Cross Convention at Yamagin Kenmin Hall in Yamagata City. Some 700 people attended the event. She was encouraged by the Yamagata chapter's preparation and disaster relief efforts following last August's heavy rain damage.

Princess Hisako presented medals and certificates to individuals and groups that contributed to local communities through volunteer activities. She listened to presentations from junior students about building resilience and preparing for disasters. Afterwards, Princess Hisako met to presenters and shared words of encouragement.

Yamagata's Red Cross convention is held roughly every 5 years.

Photos/sources: yamagata-np.jp, Sankei, TBS, FNN, NHK

Princess Hisako was scheduled to attend Yamagata chapter's anniversary ceremony last year but cancelled after her daughter Princess Tsuguko and a Takamado staff member tested positive for Covid-19.

On June 23rd, Princess Hisako visited the Consulate General of Japan in Edinburgh, Scotland and met 5 five distinguished persons, who have long contributed to strengthening Japan-UK relations and promoting mutual understanding.

Photos: Gathering held by Her Imperial Highness Princess Takamado (23rd June) | Consulate-General of Japan in Edinburgh

-----

July 11 press release: FIBA Executive Committee enthusiastic about the busy events season - FIBA.basketball
The FIBA Executive Committee convened by video conference yesterday for their second meeting of 2023, in the middle of a very busy events season, culminating with the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 tipping off on August 25 across the three host nations of the Philippines, Japan and Indonesia.

The following key topics were discussed during the meeting:

FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023
The Executive Committee has approved the appointment of Princess Takamado of Japan as the Honorary Patron of the FIBA Basketball World Cup Japan.

[...]

Asahi's Imperial schedule now requires membership but someone copied this week's schedule to their blog https://blog.goo.ne.jp/umenohanatiru/e/917130da6ba085e37da2dde2c59fe269

That's a shame, since I am guessing Asahi's readership includes a fair number of people who are not particularly interested in royalty and won't otherwise become aware of the work done by the royals.

But thank you for your continued dedication in searching for information about the imperial family's agenda. :flowers:

Princess Hisako turns 70 on July 10 and Nippon TV shares a story from former ballet dancer Miyako Yoshida.

Princess Hisako and Noriko Senge visited the New National Theatre in April. Miyako Yoshida, now artistic director of the theater's ballet company and a longtime friend, welcomed them. The performance was a new Shakespeare ballet. Princess Hisako thanked them for the hard work, saying "Ballet isn't just about dancing. Ballet is both stage and theater, so I think everyone was able to express that very well.”

Princess Hisako sometimes gives advice to Ms. Yoshida. "We've been exchanging emails in the middle of the night, [I'm] wondering when you'll be asleep, but (in your busy schedule) just coming to the theater is encouraging." On that day, Princess Hisako coordinated her outfit to match the green fairy costume. "Coordinating with ballet performances, I think that kind of consideration is wonderful," said Ms. Yoshida.

Source: NTV

Sending supportive personal emails sounds like a meaningful, low-key way to increase support for areas of interest beyond the public visits and I'm glad it is permitted by imperial protocol.

ETA: The Shakespeare ballets were based on "Macbeth" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

"Macbeth" was created by British choreographer Will Tucket and is the first production in the world.

The late Prince Takamado supported ballet, becoming known as the "Prince of Ballet." Princess Hisako continues the work: attending performances, visiting dancers backstage and giving encouragement.

Miyako Yoshida says the impetus for the "Macbeth" ballet was Princess Hisako, who sent Yoshida the play's ballet music CD, suggesting a new production.

The late Prince Takamado said, "We must do what we have to do as the theater's exclusive ballet company. What I mean by that is, I wanted to create something that only this company can do, such as large-scale, innovative, and the latest overseas, so that it would remain in the company's repertoire. We should create something."

Photos: NTV2

Interesting! The late prince and his wife both seem to be/have been energetic and ambitious people.

Princess Hisako's mother Fumiko Tottori has passed away at age 96 on the morning of July 18.

Fumiko was born in 1927 as the eldest daughter of Jiro Tomoda, a diplomat who later served as a ceremonial official at the IHA. She married Shigejiro Tottori, who served as president of Mitsui & Co. France and senior managing director of Toho & Co.

Fumiko Tottori received the insignia of Officer of the Legion of Honor in 2013 for her efforts in promoting exchanges with France, see Remise de décorations à Mmes Tottori et Yokokawa - La France au Japon
[...] Ms. Tottori spent her early childhood in Marseilles where her father worked at the Japanese Consulate. She then spent a few years in Lyon with her father, then Consul. Back in her country, she studied at the Lycée du Lys blanc, which allowed her to become a perfect French speaker. In the 1970s, she had the opportunity to return to live in France with her husband, Mr. Shigejiro Tottori, who ran the European branch of the Mitsui group. She then became fully involved in Parisian life.

From 1976, she actively participated in the dissemination of French culture and language in Japan within the committee of the association Les Amies de la Langue française (ALF). She plays the successive roles of Secretary General, President (1989-1992), and Special Advisor since 2002. Her personal commitment has enabled the ALF association, placed since 1997 under the high patronage of Her Imperial Highness Princess Takamado, to become one of the leading associations within the French community in Japan. [...]
Princess Hisako is scheduled to visit Australia and New Zealand July 21-28 but Imperial Household Agency is considering her schedule because it is customary for the Imperial family to observe mourning.

Sources: FNN, NTV, Sankei

ETA: The Australia and New Zealand trip is cancelled. Fumiko Tottori died of old age at a welfare facility for the elderly in Tokyo.

Princess Hisako will be in mourning for 90 days. Princess Tsuguko for 30 days.

According to the IHA, Princess Hisako often visited her mother and visited on the 17th before going to Osaka. Fumiko Tottori's final moments were said to have been "a peaceful sleep," according to granddaughters Princess Tsuguko and Ayako Moriya.

The wake will be held on July 27 at 6pm and funeral/farewell ceremony will be held on the 28th at 9:30am at Kirigaya Funeral Hall in Tokyo. Noriko Senge will be chief mourner.

Sources: NTV, TBS, Mainichi

-----

Condolences to the Takamado, Tottori and Tomoda families.

Last edited:
Princess Hisako's mother Fumiko Tottori has passed away at age 96 on the morning of July 18.

Fumiko was born in 1927 as the eldest daughter of Jiro Tomoda, a diplomat who later served as a ceremonial official at the IHA. She married Shigejiro Tottori, who served as president of Mitsui & Co. France and senior managing director of Toho & Co.

Fumiko Tottori received the insignia of Officer of the Legion of Honor in 2013 for her efforts in promoting exchanges with France, see Remise de décorations à Mmes Tottori et Yokokawa - La France au Japon

Princess Hisako is scheduled to visit Australia and New Zealand July 21-28 but Imperial Household Agency is considering her schedule because it is customary for the Imperial family to observe mourning.

Sources: FNN, NTV, Sankei

ETA: The Australia and New Zealand trip is cancelled. Fumiko Tottori died of old age at a welfare facility for the elderly in Tokyo.

Princess Hisako will be in mourning for 90 days. Princess Tsuguko for 30 days.

According to the IHA, Princess Hisako often visited her mother and visited on the 17th before going to Osaka. Fumiko Tottori's final moments were said to have been "a peaceful sleep," according to granddaughters Princess Tsuguko and Ayako Moriya.

The wake will be held on July 27 at 6pm and funeral/farewell ceremony will be held on the 28th at 9:30am at Kirigaya Funeral Hall in Tokyo. Noriko Senge will be chief mourner.

-----

Condolences to the Takamado, Tottori and Tomoda families.

I am very sorry for Princess Hisako! I guess she's having some rough times, and I wish her well. :sad:
I send my deepest condolences to the Takamado family. I hope this loss isn't too hard for them to get over. 90 days without seeing the two Takamado Princesses is a lot! (since this forum page will be less active for 90 days, I'll try to find some past activities of Princess Tsuguko).

Was Princess Tsuguko at her grandmother's bedside when she died? Why will former Princess Noriko be the chief mourner? Will Princess Hisako and Princess Tsuguko attend the funeral?

Last edited:
Yes, Princess Tsuguko and Ayako Moriya were with Fumiko Tottori in her final moments as Asahi clarified NTV's earlier report.

Sankei reports Fumiko Tottori died at 9:49am on July 18. FNN says Princess Hisako, Princess Tsuguko and Ayako rushed to Fumiko's side but Hisako traveled from Osaka so sadly, it doesn't seem she arrived in time.

I don't know why Noriko Senge is chief mourner. However, someone on Twitter thinks it's because royals cannot act as chief mourner at a non-royal funeral. If that's true, then Noriko is next "in line" for the duty.

Yes, I expect Princesses Hisako and Tsuguko to attend the wake and funeral. Crown Princess Kiko and her family attended her father's wake, memorial and funeral ceremonies in 2021.

Getty Images has photos of Empress Michiko and royals attending her father's funeral and Crown Princess Masako attending her grandmother's funeral.

Princess Hisako might resume some duties within her 90 day mourning period. When Crown Princess Kiko's father died in November 2021, she also had a 90 day mourning period. Sankei reported that the first 20 days are the deepest mourning. Kiko resumed some online and residence activities before the 90 days were up. She refrained from her husband's birthday photos, New Year celebrations, Shinto rituals, and such.

Princess Hanako had a 30-day mourning period when her sister died earlier this year. While still in mourning, Hanako attended a science event after undergoing a "removal of mourning" ritual/procedure.

ETA: Mother of Princess Hisako Dies at 96 - The Japan News
Fumiko Tottori, the mother of Japanese Princess Hisako of Takamado, died of old age Tuesday at the Tokyo facility where she lived. She was 96.

Princess Hisako will observe mourning for 90 days, and her first daughter, Princess Tsuguko, for 30 days, the Imperial Household Agency said Wednesday. [...]

According to the agency, Princess Hisako met her mother before visiting Osaka for work from Monday. Princess Tsuguko attended Tottori’s deathbed, together with Ayako Moriya, Princess Hisako’s third daughter, and her husband.

[...]

Last edited:
A moment of silence was held for Princess Hisako's mother Fumiko Tottori at the beginning of the 36th Advanced Technology Awards ceremony at Meiji Kinenkan on July 20th.

Princess Hisako did not attend due to mourning. She regularly attends this award ceremony and her mother Fumiko often attended as well. Organizers remembered Mrs. Tottori and expressed deepest condolences.

Photos/source: FNN (includes photos of Fumiko Tottori at other events in 2013 and 2018)

-----

ETA (and correction): Found better photo of Princess Hisako at the gathering on June 23 at Consul General Mr Fujiwara's official residence (not the Consulate). Looks like Noriko Senge also traveled to Scotland.

GATHERING HELD BY HIH PRINCESS TAKAMADO - The Japan Society of Scotland

Original post:
On June 23rd, Princess Hisako visited the Consulate General of Japan in Edinburgh, Scotland and met 5 five distinguished persons, who have long contributed to strengthening Japan-UK relations and promoting mutual understanding.

Photos: Gathering held by Her Imperial Highness Princess Takamado (23rd June) | Consulate-General of Japan in Edinburgh

[...]

Last edited:
Takamado family Agenda for the week from July 24th to July 30th:

July 27th: Princesses Hisako, Tsuguko: attending the wake for the late Fumiko Tottori in Kirigaya.
July 28th: Princesses Hisako, Tsuguko: attending the funeral and the farewell ceremony for the late Fumiko Tottori in Kirigaya.

I think former Princesses Noriko and Ayako will also participate.

Source: Asahi

Last edited:
Yes, Noriko and Ayako will attend and probably Ayako's husband Kei Moriya (maybe eldest son Jo for the funeral, the wake seems too late).

Noriko's also chief mourner for maternal grandmother Fumiko Tottori. However, I'd be surprised if her husband Kunimaro Senge attends. Except for his engagement press conference and wedding events, he hasn't attended any (public) events related to Imperial family. Not even Prince Mikasa's funeral or Prince Takamado memorial ceremonies. It's curious but someone on Twitter informed me years ago that Kunimaro may have some health issues and Noriko often traveled to Shimane when they were dating. I don't believe Izumo Taisha shrine is busy all the time that he can't do other things or join/support Noriko occasionally... oh well, whatever works for them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[...]

-----
On July 16th, Princess Hisako attended the 38th Tokyo Comprehensive Art Exhibition for Persons with Disabilities Award Ceremony at Seibu Ikebukuro Main Store in Toshima, Tokyo.

Photos:
Tokyo Metropolitan Government shared video of the art exhibit

-----

ETA: https://www.mrj.or.jp/commendation/index.html has updated for 2023 Marine Rescue Japan commendation ceremony on June 9 with Princess Hisako

... and updated photo on her profile page https://www.mrj.or.jp/president/

Last edited:
The wake for Fumiko Tottori was held from 6pm at Kirigaya Funeral Hall in Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo on July 27.

Princesses Hisako and Tsuguko arrived with chief mourner Noriko Senge around 4:30pm. Ayako Moriya also attended. A Shinto priest from Izumo Taisha also presided over the service. Princesses Akiko and Yohko of Mikasa visited later.

Photos: FNN

FNN reporter Hisashi Hashimoto wrote a longer article about Fumiko Tottori, includes old photos:

- confirmed that sadly Princess Hisako did not make it in time to see her mother. Fumiko Tottori died in her sleep with her grandchildren by her side.
- Fumiko's vitality, internationality, and sociability have been inherited by Princess Hisako
- Born in 1927, she grew up with French culture as her father was a diplomat
- She married Shigejiro Tottori in 1952 and lived abroad for many years including New York, London, and Paris
- After returning to Japan in 1976, Fumiko joined the "French Women's Association" and served as president and board member for many years
- When Hisako departed for the Imperial Palace to marry the newly titled Prince Takamado in December 1984, her parents met with reporters briefly.

ーーWhat was the last greeting from Princess Hisako?

Fumiko: Thank you for taking care of me for a long time. So, the master (Shigejiro Tottori) told [her] to do my duty safely.

ーーYou look a little tearful.

Fumiko: I am deeply moved. I have tried my best to bring her up, but from now on, she will abide by the teachings of the Imperial Palace, and Her Imperial Highness (Princess Yuriko of Mikasa) is also a very kind person, so please teach her and she will try to get used to life as soon as possible.

ーーWhat kind of family do you think they will build?

Fumiko: [They] have the same hobbies, so I think they will create a happy family.

The author reflects on the parents who tried to hide their worries: I felt that I could see the feelings of parents who gave their daughters away as brides, not because the imperial family was a special family.

Princess Hisako wrote this when her second daughter, Noriko Senge, got married in 2014.

"You will live as a member of the Senge family for a much longer time than you spent at your parents' house. I hope that you will always carry out your duties with a sense of gratitude and a spirit of service.”

The author sees Fumiko Tottori's thoughts were passed on to Princess Hisako, and from Princess Hisako to her children.

Fumiko Tottori was ill at the end of 2019 and was temporarily hospitalized at Keio Hospital. Princess Tsuguko and Ayako Moriya visited her in turns.

The Moriya family lived together with Fumiko in the Tottori household briefly, so she must have been a beloved “grandmother” not only to her grandchildren but also to her great-grandchildren.

The Takamado family members were always worried about Fumiko walking around with a cane.

When the author interviewed Princess Hisako, he also had the opportunity to speak with Fumiko Tottori: I will never forget his energetic tone and how she was friendly with everyone.

She called her daughter Hisako "Her [Imperial] Highness," saying, "Her Imperial Highness is always busy," but she always looked at Hisako with kindness.

Last edited:
On July 28th, the Takamado family attended the funeral and final farewell ceremony for Fumiko Tottori at Kirigaya Funeral Hall in Tokyo.

Princesses Hisako and Tsuguko arrived with chief mourner Noriko Senge at 8:30am. Ayako Moriya and family arrived earlier. Attendees offered Tamagushi at the Shinto funeral ceremony.

Photo: NTV

-----

ETA: LDP politician Seiko Noda is currently visiting Australia and mentioned a video message from Princess Hisako was shown at an event on July 28 AEST. Noda appears to be at a Gender Equality Symposium.

Source:

Last edited:
Weekly magazine Jprime has photos of the Takamado princesses, Ayako Moriya and eldest son Jo, and Noriko Senge leaving Fumiko Tottori's funeral on July 28, although the article is mostly about Princess Tsuguko's possible marriage.

Jprime has previously reported that Princesses Hisako and Yuriko disliked Tsuguko's rumored longterm boyfriend and there seems to be opposition. Tsuguko has repeatedly denied any relationship.

Last edited:
Weekly magazine Jprime has photos of the Takamado princesses, Ayako Moriya and eldest son Jo, and Noriko Senge leaving Fumiko Tottori's funeral on July 28, although the article is mostly about Princess Tsuguko's possible marriage.

Jprime has previously reported that Princesses Hisako and Yuriko disliked Tsuguko's rumored longterm boyfriend and there seems to be opposition. Tsuguko has repeatedly denied any relationship.

Thanks for the photos, Prisma! :flowers:

Personally, it bothers me a lot that these magazines speculate about Princess Tsuguko's possible marriage. If Princess Tsuguko has denied having affairs and that she is not getting married, it should be in everyone's best interest not to write these articles about marriage, because they alarm people unnecessarily. However, I think that Princess Hisako cannot carry on the Takamado family's numerous activities and duties alone forever, and therefore Princess Tsuguko, the only unmarried one, will take her place as head of the Takamado family when the moment. When I hear rumors about Princess Tsuguko's possible marriage I get a little worried, she is my favorite member of the imperial family, along with Princesses Akiko and Yōko, and the thought that she might leave the imperial family distresses me. :sad:

Last edited:
Speculating about royal marriages is a favorite subject of magazines for all royal houses. The magazines already started on Princess Aiko's potential partner and the pressure will be heavier on Prince Hisahito. It seems the media has little interest on marriages for Princesses Akiko and Yohko. Any romantic info surrounding them is years old.

I hope Princess Tsuguko will do whatever she wants and be happy, whether that's staying in the Imperial family or marrying and becoming a private citizen. She should not feel obligated to stay single or marry. She's also a favorite of mine. :flowers:

-----

Good news, MarieAmelie_95+!

Princess Tsuguko will visit Hokkaido Prefecture August 10 for the "Reiwa 5 (2023) National High School Comprehensive Athletic Tournament Archery Competition・Prince and Princess Takamado Trophy 56th National High School Archery Championship." She will attend the main event at Obihiro Forest Athletic Stadium and Obihiro Forest Sports Center and present awards.

Source: https://www.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/ss/tkk/hodo/gcomment/r5/161852.html

I expect she'll undergo the "removal of mourning" procedure since she'll still be officially in mourning.

Last edited:
Princess Tsuguko is a favorite of mine, too! I admire how she is managing to live her life a bit under the radar, but still fulfilling the Imperial duties that come her way. I hope she figures out a way to live a happy life, whether it is what her mother wants for her or not. I've always had the impression that both she and Princess Hisako are very strong personalities.

:previous: Agreed! Tsuguko has that "it" factor or charisma, similar to Takako Shimazu, former Princess Suga.

------

Princess Hisako has resumed activities during her mourning period.

She was scheduled to meet the chairman of the Center For Promotion of Folk-Performing Arts and others at the Takamado residence on August 7th.

Source: Asahi Imperial Schedule August 7-13 (paid), text copied at https://blog.goo.ne.jp/umenohanatiru/e/d1a332c9c02eb81cb525b876a511a802

Otherwise for Takamado activity, Princess Tsuguko visits Hokkaido on August 10 for Inter-High school archery competition.

-----

Ayako Moriya has been active as honorary patron of Canada-Japan Society.

She was scheduled to attend the 2023 Canada-Japan Society New Year's Party on January 25 but photography was discouraged.

Source: Canada-Japan Society (Nikkayokai)

She was also announced for Canada-Japan Society New Year's parties in 2018-2020:
https://www.nikkakyokai.org/events/2018/0116/EV20180116-pre.html
https://www.nikkakyokai.org/events/2019/0116/EV20190116-pre.html
https://www.nikkakyokai.org/events/2020/0116/EV20200116-pre.html

Last edited:
Former Princess Ayako was spotted in Tokyo in late April with her husband Kei and their two sons. These are the first photos of Ayako with her second son.

Source/Photos: Jprime

Last edited:
On August 10th, Princess Tsuguko attended the "2023 National High School Comprehensive (Inter-High) Athletic Meet Archery Competition / Takamado-no-miya Trophy 56th National High School Archery Championship" at Obihiro Forest Athletic Field in Obihiro City, Hokkaido Prefecture. This is her first official duty in Hokkaido.

She watched the women's team final and later presented trophies at the awards ceremony held at Obihiro Forest Sports Center. Princess Tsuguko praised athletes and "... hoped many athletes who will represent Japan in the Olympics and international competitions will be born from among the athletes who participated [here]."

Photos/video: AP Images, NHK, kachimai.jp

https://img.kachimai.jp/image/20230811/2120305.jpg
https://img.kachimai.jp/image/20230811/2120305-2.jpg
https://img.kachimai.jp/image/20230811/2120305-3.jpg

ETA: Sankei Imperial Weekly 807 states Princess Tsuguko completed a procedure " 除喪(じょも)" which is a temporary removal of mourning before going to Hokkaido.

Last edited:
Princess Hisako visited Hiroshima Prefecture August 20-21 for the Paris 2024 Olympic Asian Women's Handball Qualification. On the 21st, she prayed and presented orchids at the Atomic Bomb Cenotaph at Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park. This is her 11th visit to Hiroshima. She watched handball in the afternoon.

Videos/photos: TBS, NHK, FNN, IRAW

ETA: https://www.chugoku-np.co.jp/articles/-/349382

Last edited:
On the evening of August 10th, Princess Tsuguko was spotted at the Hokkaido Hotel returning (?) after the archery competition finals. It's the first time I've seen Princess Tsuguko use a phone.

Source/Photos: Facebook

Last edited:
Princess Hisako visited Okinawa Prefecture August 27-30 for the 2023 FIBA World Basketball World Cup. As honorary president of the competition, she attended 2 games of the Japanese national team in Okinawa City.

On August 28th, Princess Hisako laid wreaths at the National Okinawa War Cemetery and Himeyuri Pagoda in Itoman City. She also toured the Okinawa Prefectural Peace Memorial Museum.

Source: Sankei Imperial Weekly 810

-----

ETA: Princess Tsuguko also visited Obihiro Centennial Hall on August 10 when she visited Hokkaido for the 2023 National High School Comprehensive (Inter-High) Athletic Meet Archery Competition / Takamado-no-miya Trophy 56th National High School Archery Championship.

Photos: Jijiphoto (includes arrival at stadium for archery)

Last edited:
On September 10th Princess Hisako attended the 19th Japan Football Hall of Fame Inauguration Ceremony at Japan Football Association (JFA) House in Bunkyo, Tokyo.

Photos: Nikkansports, Nikkansports2, Sponichi, Mainichi

-----
[...]

On July 2nd, Princess Hisako attended the 55th JNSA (Japan National Student Association) Trophy Intercollegiate English Oratorical Contest at the Yomiuri Shimbun headquarters in Chiyoda, Tokyo.

The 55th JNSA Trophy All Japan Intercollegiate English Oratorical Contest / Tokai University Sophomore Wins Top Prize - The Japan News (includes photo of Princess Hisako with winner Erika Oyu)
Another photo: https://jnsafund.org/jnsa/2023/report/1432/

On July 1st, Princess Hisako attended the officer inauguration ceremony for the Prince Takamado Cup 75th All-Japan Junior High School English Speech Contest held at the Yomiuri Shimbun headquarters in Tokyo.

Photos: https://jnsafund.org/jnsa/2023/report/1377/

-----

ETA: Princess Hisako will visit Fukui Prefecture September 15-16 for the Japan Sports Masters Fukui Tournament, where she is honorary president.

9/15: bowling, opening ceremony in Awara City, stay at the rebuilt Japanese-style hotel Kofu Yuden Beniy
9/16: football in Sakai City, volleyball in Fukui City, return to Tokyo from Komatsu Airport in Ishikawa Prefecture

Source: chunichi.co.jp

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom