Precedence of Emperor of Japan compared to European monarchs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MasquedCount

City
Nashville
Country
United States
This is meant as a respectful technical question. As the Emperor of Japan is not a Christian monarch even though he is the sole surviving reigning "Emperor" in the world is he really considered higher in precedent than a European King or Queen? In a hypothetical room of monarchs or if they met on neutral ground would he take seating or other precedent over others?

Since all claims of divinity of the Japanese Emperor were dropped, all reigning monarchs are equal.
Still HIM has the advantage of his elder age.:flowers:

In my personal opinion, I do see him as a higher ranking monarch than the european ones.

In terms of precedence the all monarchs are on equal footing. What they use to determine precedences is how long they have been reigning, and the Emperor of Japan came to throne in 1989. Monarchs do not bow to each other, and no European king or queen would bow to the Emperor of Japan. In term of precedence the King of Thailand is considered the doyenne of world monarchs as he came to the throne in 1946, followed by Queen Elizabeth II who came to throne in 1952. Queen Elizabeth is by far the most famous and has the grandest trappings.

So in a hypothetical meeting, they would be seated based on how long they have reigned. I believe that the funeral of King Boudin of Belgium had the emperor therm, it would be interesting to see how he was seated in comparison to say Queen Elizabeth.

Looks like I am answering my own question. I found a picture at the funeral of Boudin where all the monarchs were seated together and Queen Elizabetg II had the senior most place and not the emperor, so it looks like the rank by length of reign and not emperor trumping king/queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since all claims of divinity of the Japanese Emperor were dropped, all reigning monarchs are equal.

Actually that isn't quite accurate...

Tuf Pic said:
Dear Link the Zora:

I have wanted to say this for a while, but the popular western interpretation of the Showa Mikado's "denial of divinity" is WRONG...

Humanity Declaration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,

While the following quote may sound arrogant,

Showa Mikado said:
It is permissible to say that the idea that the Japanese are descendants of the gods is a false conception; but it is absolutely impermissible to call chimerical the idea that the emperor is a descendant of the gods.

Notice that he never says outright that they are NOT DESCENDANTS OF THE KAMI, he merely says it is PERMISSIBLE TO SAY THEY AREN'T!!

Seems far less arrogant than this:

The Nicene Creed said:
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds (æons), Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father;

I mean, he can't be the ONLY-BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD, because, weren't we all "made in God's image"?!

Also, check out this link:

BBC - Religions - Shinto: Divinity of the Emperor...

In addition, these quotes are from The Complete Idiot's Guide To The World's Religions:

Section on Shinto said:
Although there is no deity regarded as supreme over all kami, the sun goddess Amaterasu is accorded a high rank. Within Shinto, the emperor of Japan (whose temporal power has undergone many fluctuations over the centuries) is regarded as a direct descendant of Amaterasu.

It also mentions Hirohito's "renunciation off divinity", but only 1 time, ...&...

This is in "The Least You Need To Know" section, that concludes every chapter in "The Complete Idiot's Guide" series...

Summarizing Shinto said:
Preeminent among the innumerable kami is Amaterasu, the sun-goddess, regarded as the source of the dynastic line of Japanese emperors.

All emphasis is by myself...

The Mikado can STILL BE A DIRECT DESCENDANT OF AMATERASU!!

I'm fairly confident he is!!

Thought you should know about all of this!!

...&...

View this post by myself!!

Still HIM has the advantage of his elder age.:flowers:

This part is right!! ;)

all monarchs are equal...

but precedence is based on how long they have ruled...

see for example, Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee Monarchs' lunch

you will notice that the most senior monarchs (by length of time ruling) sit in the portrait (the more senior, the closer to Queen Elizabeth in the centre)...the Emperor of Japan (sitting) is senior in precedence but other monarch's have reigned longer (and thus sit closer to the host Queen)

all of the world's reigning royal families sent representatives to to the Monarchs' lunch except Spain, Oman, Cambodia and Bhutan

also, some ex-monarchs attended (Kings of Greece, Bulgaria, Romania)

Jubilee monarchs' lunch: the full guest list - Telegraph

Back
Top Bottom