Japanese Enthronement Celebrations: April - October 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
Some of the guests who were present at the enthronement of Akihito of Japan: Balduino and Fabiola kings of Belgium, Gustavo Adolfo and Silvia of Sweden, Queen Margaret of Denmark, princes of Wales, Prince Felipe of Bourbon, the President of Germany , Richard von Weizsaecker; US Vice President Dan Quayle; the president of the Philippines, Cory Aquino; the president of Brazil, Fernando Collor de Melo; the President of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, Anatoli Lukyanov; the Secretary General of the UN, Javier Pérez de Cuéllar, and many others.
Representatives from 158 countries were present.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scepters and silk: The kit and garb of Japan's enthronement - Japan Today
[...]

The new emperor's clothes

For his enthronement, the new emperor will wear an outfit in the sokutai or ceremonial style. The outfit is now rarely seen and is dominated by a voluminous draped brown-gold outer robe with long, wide sleeves and a cinched waist.

Only the emperor wears this color [...]

Royal attire often includes motifs of birds, as they were considered divine envoys in ancient times and the emperor's outer garment is decorated with a mythological Chinese phoenix, believed to symbolize the arrival of peace.

During the ceremony, the emperor and other male royals will carry a shaku or scepter -- a narrow plain wooden plate not unlike a large shoehorn.

[...]

But the crowning glory of the emperor's outfit is the kanmuri hat, which consists of a simple flat black base and a towering black tail at the back that extends upright 60 centimeters.

Fit for an empress

Incoming Empress Masako will wear an elaborate outfit commonly known as junihitoe or many-layered robe.

[...]

There is no set rule on the number of layers, though outgoing Empress Michiko wore nine robes during her husband's enthronement.

Masako is likely to choose her own colors but similar motifs to those donned by Michiko in 1989. [correction: Emperor Akihito's enthronement was in 1990]

[...]

Masako's hair will be sculpted into a style that sweeps up and out to the sides with a long ponytail extending from the back and a large golden hairpiece pinned above her forehead.

[...]

The sacred treasures

[...]

The treasures are the Yata no Kagami, a mirror, Kusanagi no Tsurugi, a sword, and the Yasakani no Magatama, an unspecified jewel.

[...]

"We do not know exactly what they are like," said Eiichi Miyashiro, a senior journalist at the Asahi Shimbun newspaper and royal expert.

The treasures will be passed over in a ceremony held on May 1, which the new emperor attends in Western-style clothes and is off-limits for female royals.

During the ceremony, a replica sword and the original jewel will be handed over, wrapped in cloth. Both are kept at the palace, along with a replica mirror not used in the ceremony.
Same article at Sceptres and silk: the kit and garb of Japan's enthronement | AFP.com

I just prefer the Japan Today's version because the font is bigger and easier to read.

Last edited:
302574l.jpg

Welcome to the thread for the Japanese Enthronement Celebrations: April - October 2019

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

Last edited:
I'm going to post May 1 activities here. Seems odd to post about the new emperor in the abdication thread.

May 1 schedule - Imperial Household Agency

Morning:
10:05am: office work
10:30am: Imperial regalia and privy seals inheritance
11:10am: first audience
11:40am: internal briefing

Afternoon greetings
before 3pm: appointment ceremonies & audiences
3pm: greet Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako receive greetings
3:30pm: Imperial family
3:40pm: former royals, relatives
3:50pm: minor royals
4:10pm: secretaries, managers, etc.
4:20pm: former advisors, aides, staff, etc.
4:30pm: former IHA staff & police
4:40pm: IHA staff & police
4:50pm: 堂上会総代 (Kuge Society*)
5:30pm: transfer personnel
6pm: IHA chamberlains

* "堂上会 is a society for Kuge, the former aristocratic families that had the highest position among noble families & were powerful before WWII." from Kuge - Wikipedia

IHA updated the website; bios already use new titles, etc. Family tree
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-about/genealogy/img/genealogy-e.jpg

Emperor Naruhito assumes throne to mark new Reiwa era - The Mainichi
[...]

New Emperor Naruhito will attend ceremonies related to his enthronement on May 1, which are part of acts in matters of state. From 10:30 a.m., a ceremony called "Kenji-to-Shokei-no-gi" will be held at the "Matsu no Ma" room at the Imperial Palace. During the rite, the new emperor inherits the sacred sword and jewel, which are part of the Imperial Regalia, as well as the State and Privy seals that are used in acts in matters of state.

From 11:10 a.m., a ceremony called "Sokui-go-Choken-no-gi" will be held in the "Matsu no Ma" room, where the new emperor will address the nation, his first on the throne.

[...]

Last edited:
May 1st ceremonies start soon

10:30am: Inherit Imperial regalia & privy seals "Kenji-to-Shokei-no-gi"
11:10am: First audience "Sokui-go-Choken-no-gi"
* All times JST *

NHK-WORLD live stream on its website, Facebook and twitter. Coverage starts at 10:10am
NHK has simultaneous English translation for the abdication so I think it’ll be the same.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/
https://www.facebook.com/nhkworld/
https://twitter.com/NHKWORLD_News

Reuters Live

Prime Minister's YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/kanteijp

ETA: TIARAS! The Imperial women are wearing tiaras for the First Audience ceremony "Sokui-go-Choken-no-gi"

Empress Masako's wearing the Meiji Scroll tiara!!!

10:30am: Inherit Imperial regalia & privy seals "Kenji-to-Shokei-no-gi"
11:10am: First audience "Sokui-go-Choken-no-gi"

Last edited:
Masako looks so happy. I’m happy that she looks so happy and well [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji39]

With the "Tonga" gown at the daytime ceremony, Masako is starting off as a frugal empress and I think she's just what Japan needs. She's no-nonsense and is not out of touch.

With the "Tonga" gown at the daytime ceremony, Masako is starting off as a frugal empress and I think she's just what Japan needs. She's no-nonsense and is not out of touch.

All the Imperial ladies rewear their clothes frequently, including Empress Emerita Michiko, so I'd say it's business as usual so far!

Were the texts of the speeches published in advance?

The praise of the Emperor Emeritus in the new Emperor's speech versus the Prime Minister's speech seemed to be in line with the imperial family's continuing differences of opinion with the government/traditionalists over the role of the monarchy - Naruhito stressing Akihito's active efforts to share the people's joys and sorrows while Abe stressed his passive task of praying for the people.

Watching the videos highlighted the overwhelming parallels between the two ceremonies with the imperial regalia. The second felt like a mirror image of the first, so from an outsider's point of view, the logic of barring the imperial women from the second but not the first is difficult to see.

I just caught the very end of the live feed from NHK-World, so I had to go back and watch the replay of the PM's YouTube.

So many tiaras, and Empress Masako wears the Meiji Scroll very, very well--how lovely it is to see it again. It also looked as though Kiko may have been wearing the Sunburst--I'll have to look again to see if I can catch a better glimpse.

It looks though both ceremonies went off very well, which is to be expected, after what I'm sure must have been numerous hours of preparation and rehearsal.

I'm off to see if I can find an English translation for Emperor Naruhito's speech.

Thank you for the link to the speech, Prisma. It was an interesting one, I thought, especially the bit about keeping in mind the paths trodden by previous emperors. I'm sure Emperor Naruhito is going to be contemplating not only the positive path trodden by his father, but some of the very negative paths taken by earlier emperors.

So Em,press Masako followed her mohter-in-law by wearing the Meji scroll tiara as her first tiara as Empress. Was the dobule-ropw diamond riviere worn by Empress Michiko? As far as is recall she usally wore only a single row.

And good to see that the new Crown Princess has got a new-to-her tiara but i think they could also have opted for one of them who have come back to the main-line but not seen for many years.

I wish a new prosperous "Reiwa" Era for the New Emperor and Empress and for the Japanese people!

Queen Margrethe congratulates the Emperor Naruhito

https://scontent.fath4-2.fna.fbcdn....=f286bdff3cddf247df848350f87360a8&oe=5D302E93

And as always many thanks to our best Reporter we have here: Prisma!!!

Interesting, I didn't know that Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako had become close to Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark (assuming that they are the Crown Prince and Crown Princess the Queen of Denmark refers to; the message confused me at the outset as the new Emperor and Empress don't appear to have a markedly close relationship with the new Crown Prince and Crown Princess).

Interesting, I didn't know that Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako had become close to Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark (assuming that they are the Crown Prince and Crown Princess the Queen of Denmark refers to; the message confused me at the outset as the new Emperor and Empress don't appear to have a markedly close relationship with the new Crown Prince and Crown Princess).

The Queen of Denmark would hardly refer to another CP couple other than her son and daughter-in-law in an official congratulatory, would she...?;) Note that she refers to the close ties and the 150-years-diplomatic celebrations two years ago!

Last edited:

To be more correct Emperor Naruhito and CP Frederik have indeed formed a close friendship. As well as he always been invited to and attended, with all signs of delight BTW, at major DRF family events.
So basically QMII's little "PS" is an added congrats from Frederik and Mary.

On the other hand Empress Masako seems to have developed close personal bonds with Queen Maxima.

To be more correct Emperor Naruhito and CP Frederik have indeed formed a close friendship. As well as he always been invited to and attended, with all signs of delight BTW, at major DRF family events.
So basically QMII's little "PS" is an added congrats from Frederik and Mary.

On the other hand Empress Masako seems to have developed close personal bonds with Queen Maxima.

Well, isn´t that a bit speculative? A "close friendship" for me is more than meeting every 2 or 3 years on a more or less official basis. A friendship is meeting each other regularly, knowing (almost) everything about the other person, knowing his/ her feelings about things, going with him/ her through all his/ her ups and downs.

Of course none of us know if they have regular telephone calls every week (which I personally doubt), but to me these kind of relationships are rather a cooperative and friendly bond between "royal colleagues".
About 10 years ago the the CP couple of Japan and their daughter visited the dutch royal family. This has never been repeated or was ever returned. So, yes, everything is fine between them. They like and respect each other a lot like many other Royals do! But a friendship...?

Last edited:
Well, isn´t that a bit speculative? A "close friendship" for me is more than meeting every 2 or 3 years on a more or less official basis. A friendship is meeting each other regularly, knowing (almost) everything about the other person, knowing his/ her feelings about things, going with him/ her through all his/ her ups and downs.

Of course none of us know if they have regular telephone calls every week (which I personally doubt), but to me these kind of relationships are rather a cooperative and friendly bond between "royal colleagues".
About 10 years ago the the CP couple of Japan and their daughter visited the dutch royal family. This has never been repeated or was ever returned. So, yes, everything is fine between them. They like and respect each other a lot like many other Royals do! But a friendship...?

I, too, have, in the past, read that the relationship between the Empress of Japan and the Queen of the Netherlands is a close one. I understand Maxima has been particularly helpful to Masako in readjusting, in the limited way she has, to public life. It was especially noted that Masako made one her first official trips overseas, after her illness, to the Dutch enthronement in 2013. Subsequently, the first outgoing state visit by W-A and Max was to Japan, and Masako was present at the state banquet, a first for many years. So whilst I cannot confirm how often they meet or speak, it certainly appears that there is a warmth between them.

Why didn't the daughter of the new Emperor/Empress attend the ceremonines? What is the status of changing the law so she could succeed her father?

Why didn't the daughter of the new Emperor/Empress attend the ceremonines?[-][[/-]/QUOTE]

Because she is still a minor. Her cousin Hisahtio also did not attend.

Why didn't the daughter of the new Emperor/Empress attend the ceremonines? What is the status of changing the law so she could succeed her father?

Only the adult members attended. Princess Aiko is 17. Her 12 year old cousin Prince Hisahito also did not attend.

It's up to the Japanese government (currently a very conservative one) and not the Emperor to handle the succession law. Here is a thread where that question is discussed

Full video of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako receiving greetings from the Imperial family on May 1.
I wish the camera angle was different but whatever! We have video!

I wish the new Emperor and Empress the best of luck with their new roles (in an ideal world Aiko would be the next Empress after her parents but that's a discussion for another thread). They seem to be a very classy and hard working couple.
Today was the first full day in the new Reiwa era in Japan IIRC (since they are 8 hours ahead of us here in the UK, it's now the start of the second day in Reiwa).

Full video of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako receiving greetings from the Imperial family on May 1.
I wish the camera angle was different but whatever! We have video!

I had seen a little snippet of this, but the overall impression is very different in this video. Thank you so much for posting this, Prisma!

Things that struck me were the little bobble at the beginning when the Empress forgot she had to walk behind the thrones, the circles under her eyes (that's a few sleepless nights, or tears) the warmth in Princess Hisako's and Princess Tsuguko's greeting, and how the Masako's face lit up for some of the greetings, how skillfully Tsuguko managed the backwards exit, how tired the Emperor looked.

In fairness The Empress always appears to have circles under her eyes, it almost seems as if its more on going that a few nights sleepless nights.

Princess Hisako's greeting was certainly very warm and well received.

Delightful little error on Masako's part… it shows she is human and impressed by all this !

Back
Top Bottom