The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2019, 10:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
The Danish royal house has not yet updated the agenda on its official website. But it seems that Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary are enthroned.
The CP and Princess Mary are enthroned ? That is news to me !

I am afraid rumors about Queen Margrethe’s demise or abdication have been greatly exaggerated.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The CP and Princess Mary are enthroned ? That is news to me !

I am afraid rumors about Queen Margrethe’s demise or abdication have been greatly exaggerated.
Excuse me. What I wanted to say is that they will be present at the enthronement of Japan. It was a translation mistake ....

Old 10-01-2019, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post

As The King King and The Crown Princess will be going, it will require separate aircrafts for safety reasons.

But is still interesting that they King is going with the Crown Princess instead of sending Victoria and Daniel.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But is still interesting that they King is going with the Crown Princess instead of sending Victoria and Daniel.
To me this seems to be a matter of Crown Princess Victoria being stand-in for her mother, as her meeting with the Paralympics Committee has been scratched from her agenda.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post

As The King King and The Crown Princess will be going, it will require separate aircrafts for safety reasons.
If they are indeed going to use separate aircrafts, the Crown Princess will end up flying on a commercial plane.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press department of the swedish royal court to Svensk Damtidning
- Yes, exactly, it is true that the plans were that the king and queen should have gone to Tokyo, says Margareta Thorgren.
- But the queen left her place to the crown princess. The reason is that Japan and Sweden have good relations, the royal couple were in Japan last year on an official visit. This is the third time the king is attending a change of throne in Japan, and it is natural that it is the crown princess who is participating with her father in the change of the monarch for the new generation.
Hovets ändring_ Victoria tar Silvias plats i Japan _ Svensk Dam
Old 10-02-2019, 01:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press department of the swedish royal court to Svensk Damtidning
- Yes, exactly, it is true that the plans were that the king and queen should have gone to Tokyo, says Margareta Thorgren.
- But the queen left her place to the crown princess. The reason is that Japan and Sweden have good relations, the royal couple were in Japan last year on an official visit. This is the third time the king is attending a change of throne in Japan, and it is natural that it is the crown princess who is participating with her father in the change of the monarch for the new generation.
Hovets ändring_ Victoria tar Silvias plats i Japan _ Svensk Dam
What an odd explanation. Besides odd it's also factually wrong unless the King was -20 years old during his supposed attendance at the enthronement ceremony of Emperor Hirohito.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
If they are indeed going to use separate aircrafts, the Crown Princess will end up flying on a commercial plane.
All members of the Swedish Royal family often fly commercially so it wouldn't be anything extraordinary if she did. Though the King and the Crown Princess never fly on the same plane there are actually not one but two "Planes of State" so technically they could fly in one each.
According to the law regulating the use of these planes "Statsflygsförordning (1999:1354)" everyone, including the Royal family, using the planes reimburse the Swedish army for the costs. All travels are also climate compensated.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Announcement on the Ceremonies of the Accession to the Throne of His Majesty the Emperor - Public Relations Office of the Government of Japan
Quote:
Ceremony of the Enthronement of His Majesty the Emperor at the Seiden (State Hall)

It is a ceremony in which the enthronement is officially proclaimed and the representatives from home and abroad express their felicitations. It will take place in the Imperial Court on Tuesday, October 22.

It is planned that the proceedings of the ceremony will be broadcast live on the government’s Internet TV channel.
On October 2nd, the IHA announced Daijosai details, Ise Grand Shrine visit, and other details.

November 14: ceremony starts at 6:30pm
November 15: ceremony starts at 0:30am
November 16, 18: "Daikyo-no-gi" court banquets at noon
November 21-December 8: The temporary complex “Daijōkyū” will be on display to the public

About 670 people will attend the Daijosai, some 230 less than the previous time.

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako will visit Ise Grand Shrine in Mie Prefecture November 22-23 to report their enthronement.
Only the Emperor will ride in a carriage. The Empress is allergic to horses and will ride in a car.

Last time, Prince & Princess Akishino and Prince & Princess Takamado accompanied Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko to Ise Grand Shrine. Due to the decrease in members, Imperial family will not accompany Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako.

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako reporting their enthronement to the Mausoleums of Emperor Jimmu and 4 previous emperors.

November 27: Emperor Jimmu in Kashihara, Nara Prefecture and Emperor Komei In Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture
November 28: Emperor Meiji in Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture
December 3: Emperor Showa and Emperor Taisho in Hachioji, Tokyo

Source: Sankei

I wonder when Masako developed a horse allergy. There are photos of her with horses and reports of her riding horses as therapy years ago.

ETA: I think there'll be more options to watch the enthronement such as NHK, Reuters Live, and the PM's YouTube channel, similar to ceremonies in April and May.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I wonder if horses are actually the issue, although I suppose it's possible that she has developed an allergy since then. It does happen. It's unfortunate optics to have the Emperor and Empress in different vehicles, IMO.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The King and Queen was scheduled to go but The Queen offered her place to The Crown Princess instead.

Victoria and Daniel usually do not do long trips together, unless it is an official visit, to always have one parent close to the children.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Magazine Jisin interviewed Imperial journalist Shinji Yamashita about the enthronement ceremony’s burden on Empress Masako. There will be little time to rest. Based on Heisei era’s enthronement schedule, Empress Masako faces an exhausting 18-hour day (5am - 11pm).

5am: Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako wake up

7am: Empress Masako leaves for Tokyo Imperial Palace, an hour before the Emperor. She’ll be washed, dressed, and coiffed for 2 court rituals. The traditional “osuberakashi” hairstyle takes 1 hour even with 3 attendants.

It’ll be past 9am when she’s ready for the court rituals in a white jūnihitoe, “osuberakashi” hair + golden ornaments, and hiougi fan. Afterward, she changes into plain clothes for a 40-minute lunch.

11:20am: start dressing for 1pm enthronement ceremony. It takes 80 minutes to put on the jūnihitoe. Empress Michiko’s weighed 16kg.

1:30pm: change into Western clothes for parade. Takes about 90 minutes to wash hair, change into robe decollete, style hair, etc.

Sources: Jisin 1, Jisin 2

Yamashita doesn’t say what happens between the parade and the banquet but maybe photos, greetings?

Japan to pardon half a million on occasion of Oct. imperial ceremony - Kyodo News+
Quote:
Japan is expected to grant pardons to 500,000 to 600,000 petty criminals on the occasion of Emperor Naruhito's enthronement ceremony on Oct. 22, officials with knowledge of the plan said Wednesday.

The Cabinet of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will formally approve the plan in mid-October, the officials said, adding that the pardons will involve those found guilty of minor infractions at least three years ago and fined.

The amnesty is expected to reverse a temporary prohibition on violators qualifying for national licenses and will restore their civil rights.

[...]

Under Japanese law, five years must elapse before those who have been convicted and fined can sit exams to get national licenses. But the pardons will speed up the process.

Given that the pardons are expected to be granted regardless of criminal charges, election law violators are also likely to have their civil rights restored under the plan.

[...]
Old 10-04-2019, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

I recently reread Princess Chichibu's autobiography, and her description of the hair arrangement--both the putting up and then the cleaning afterwards--sounded both exhausting and very painful. In addition to the stressful aspects of the hair arrangement, the wearing of the junihitoe is going to be taxing. I'm sure Masako has been mentally preparing for this most important day for months, but I hope everything goes smoothly.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

A lot of their ceremonial customs for an occasion like this sounds painful, exhausting and way over the top. Their becoming an Emperor and Empress, not being prepared for a funeral in a morgue.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-04-2019, 12:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
A lot of their ceremonial customs for an occasion like this sounds painful, exhausting and way over the top. Their becoming an Emperor and Empress, not being prepared for a funeral in a morgue.
Most of it is associated with Japan’s state religion. I don’t see it changing as it is an integral part of their ancient culture.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Over the top? No more so than the ritual attached to British coronations, or for that matter, most royal weddings. Each culture has cherished and meaningful rituals that go along with significant, landmark events. The Japanese rituals may seem strange to some Western sensibilities, but they pack in thousands of years of traditions, and many, many layers of meaning: religious, cultural, and symbolic.

Edited to add: That sounded more abrupt than it was intended! I think most of the monarchies have some pretty intricate and exhausting ceremonial occasions, and gluing your hair into a structured 'do doesn't seem any more bizarre to me than a lot of those.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The dresscode at Prinsjesdag is not white tie but jacquet. That means men in jacquet (morning suit with grey striped pantalon) and ladies in formal dress with hat. That formal dress can be long or short, to own insight.
Yes, apart from that it looks very similar. That´s what I wanted to say...
And formal dresses of the royal ladies used at both "Prinsjesdag" and japanase enthronements are always long!
Old 10-04-2019, 03:05 PM
Serene Highness

I think this adherence to tradition is wonderful. I love living heritage. The dottier the better

Makes a pleasant change from much of the news these days.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

This is absolutely fascinating!

Thank you to all, who have provided details and explanations. It is most appreciated.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Also, Yamashita frets about the court rituals. Although Masako attended the ritual to report the enthronement and Daijosai dates on May 8, she has not attended the regular court rituals, instead worshipping at Akasaka Imperial Palace.

I assume the "osuberakashi" hairstyle uses a wig or hair pieces and maybe incorporates the person's own hair. Maybe the entire "osuberakashi" could be a wig to make dressing less burdensome for Masako.

You can clearly see the wig's outline in the photo below, click to enlarge. Hopefully the attendants do a better job of blending the hairline.
http://japan-forward.com/app/uploads...Masako-007.jpg

Junihitoe animation with English translation

Attaching the "hōkan" (golden hair ornament). The pins are more prominent in this demonstration

Junihitoe demonstration with a shortcut at 6:01 where a layer already has multiple robes/pleats.

Junihitoe demonstration without the shortcut. Just layer after layer.

US transportation sec. to attend imperial ceremony | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
Quote:
The US government says Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao will visit Japan later this month to attend the enthronement ceremony of Emperor Naruhito.

[...]

The last time Japan held an enthronement ceremony, in 1990, the United States sent a vice president. Washington had initially made arrangements for Vice President Mike Pence to attend the October 22 event, but the plans did not come to fruition.
ETA: The Imperial Household Agency, Cabinet Office, Imperial Household Police, Tokyo Metropolitan Police, and Self-Defense Forces rehearsed the 4.6km enthronement parade route with a convoy of about 50 vehicles at 7am on October 6th.

Photos: Mainichi, Asahi