The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-25-2019, 04:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Was Princess Aiko really prevented from attending her own parents enthronment only because she was just 2 months under 18? She could have attended only the enthronement and the tea party - but not at all is rather odd....
Coming-of-age in Japan is currently 20. That will change to 18 in 2022. However, most young people seem to prefer 20 for adulthood.

Most young people in Japan say coming-of-age ceremonies should continue to be held for 20-year-olds | The Japan Times
Quote:
Over 70 percent of people aged between 16 and 22 in Japan believe official coming-of-age ceremonies should continue to be held for those aged 20, a Cabinet Office survey has shown, as the government prepares to lower the age of adulthood to 18 in April 2022.

While no legal rules exist establishing an age for coming-of-age ceremonies hosted by local governments, they are traditionally held for 20-year-olds.

[...]
Coming of age: Why adults in Japan are getting younger - BBC News

Old 10-25-2019, 05:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, Prisma.

I don't think it is odd that no exception was made for Aiko or Hisahito. It is in accordance with the established precedent that minors do not attend enthronements. The foreign countries invited to witness the enthronement did not send minors to represent them. Other state ceremonies such as state visits, accreditation of foreign ambassadors, etc. are likewise adults-only, as far as I can see. Nor do the minors in the family attend any official engagements on behalf of the monarchy as a matter of course. I can't see why the enthronement would be different.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have been eagerly waiting for this enthronement to happen and then I had to go away for a few days. So catching up now and loving all the .photos and information. Thanks to all who contributed links and information.
Loved seeing the ladies all dressed up for the many occasions. And of course all the bling. A colourful spectacle and very interesting.
I am sure The new Emperor and Empress will do a fine job. I am quite a fan of Masako. Loved seeing King Jigme and Queen Jetsun in their colourful traditional dress too.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

The food looks divine, and the presentation, without the need to add in forks and knives, is even more elegant than at the banquet for the visiting monarchs and dignitaries.

Overall there seems to be a much more relaxed ambiance to this banquet, and it's lovely to see all the family members.

Regarding the non attendance of the Princess Toshi: as others have noted, she is a full two years away from the age when she will begin to attend court functions, and even if that were not true, I doubt very much that such a high profile ceremony would have been a good choice for her first appearance at a formal court event.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Courtier

Princess Aiko would not have attended any of these events because she is not "of age", which in relation to the Japanese Imperial Family is not until the age of 20.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:40 PM
Commoner

There was an article, I think in the Dutch forums, that not only had WA and Maxima returned to the Netherlands from Japan but also their three daughters. Perhaps the three princesses spent time with Aiko.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

It was a pity the Japanese venues were flooding in abundant lighting. It did no good for the magic sparkle of jewels. Even the best facetted diamonds need optimal lighting to sparkle, which usually is the indirect light from crystal chandeliers and grand candelabras being caught, refracted and reflected by diamonds, in a dazzling splendour.

See what a soft lighting can do with a "minor" diadem, in the first minute of this video you see Princess Laurentien with incredible sparkle, this would have been im-pos-si-ble in Japan, with the overkill of light. Had Máxima worn this same diadem, it would have been "dead" in that Japanese banqueting hall.

https://youtu.be/H8U0HkmRIso
Old 10-25-2019, 01:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Wow this has been an amazing two days of events to watch

The outfits, the traditions, the ceremonies are all amazing to witness. I am a huge history buff, and I love countries where such traditions are still so alive to watch like this.
I second that and a big thanks to all who have provided links and details.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrief View Post
There was an article, I think in the Dutch forums, that not only had WA and Maxima returned to the Netherlands from Japan but also their three daughters. Perhaps the three princesses spent time with Aiko.
That would be great. It makes sense that the AAA's would see Princess Aiko given the fact that they didn't attend the enthronement itself. It'd be a good idea for the four to remain in contact as it's nice for Aiko to have a friendship with a fellow heir (even though the two cultures are different, the backgrounds are the same).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-25-2019, 07:10 PM
Majesty

Will Aiko leave the imperial Family when she gets married ?
Old 10-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Yes (unless Parliament makes changes to the law before the marriage takes place, or her spouse is Prince Hisahito.)

The Imperial House Law - The Imperial Household Agency

Article 12. In case a female of the Imperial Family marries a person other than the Emperor or the members of the Imperial Family, she shall lose the status of the Imperial Family member.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
According to the current constitution yes, she will.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
According to the current constitution yes, she will.
Not the Constitution, but the Imperial House Law (see the link above). This is a standard law which, unlike the Constitution, can be amended by a simple majority of Parliament.

The succession is likewise governed by the Imperial House Law and not by the Constitution.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It was a pity the Japanese venues were flooding in abundant lighting. It did no good for the magic sparkle of jewels. Even the best facetted diamonds need optimal lighting to sparkle, which usually is the indirect light from crystal chandeliers and grand candelabras being caught, refracted and reflected by diamonds, in a dazzling splendour.

See what a soft lighting can do with a "minor" diadem, in the first minute of this video you see Princess Laurentien with incredible sparkle, this would have been im-pos-si-ble in Japan, with the overkill of light. Had Máxima worn this same diadem, it would have been "dead" in that Japanese banqueting hall.

https://youtu.be/H8U0HkmRIso
Thank you for mentioning the appalling lighting throughout this event. However, I am so pleased to see Masako so happy and all the ceremony so traditional and moving
Old 10-26-2019, 03:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Thank you for mentioning the appalling lighting throughout this event. However, I am so pleased to see Masako so happy and all the ceremony so traditional and moving
I saw a video of the complete passage (the imperial couple greeting all guests before the banquet). The Empress wearing incredible diamonds. Queen Letizia, Queen Máxima... but no, all flat and all "dead".

Then I saw a video with the banqueting hall. But there were no chandeliers hanging, there were no candelabras on the tables. The light looked like TL lamps (halogen spots could have provided the diamonds to glitz and to glam). So even the Empress, seated at the main table, left me wondering: how come these big superior diamonds on her head and from her two rivières do not show any sparkle at all????

It is kind of shame: having great jewels is one. But they need optimal light. One can notice the same with the Ladies Peeresses during the State Opening of Parliament in London. The House of Lords is too well lighted, the bench with the Ladies Peeresses hardly glitz and glam.

Recommendation: organize an event in white tie? Dim the light!
Old 10-26-2019, 05:29 AM
Heir Apparent

More photos of the 2nd banquet on October 25: Asahi
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4EMbXblXxY/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4D-UucFQNf/

Noriko Senge, Ayako and Kei Moriya attended the 2nd banquet

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHtdJn1U8AAa7Mc.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHtdJn2UUAElOw6.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHtdJn4UUAUou2J.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHtdJn2UwAEww-M.jpg

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHx3i1bU4AAmF4k.jpg

Mikasa princesses
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHx3DFyVUAA8NIW.png

Prime Minister Abe making a speech
https://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/content/...25kyouen01.jpg

Longer video of tea party welcome on October 23

Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko arrive/leave Akasaka Estate on October 23
Old 10-27-2019, 02:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Gallery from 22-23 October
Emperor Naruhito Enthronement Ceremony - 22 Oct 2019 - Images _ RealTime Images

King Carl Gustaf and crown princess Victoria
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4HDdK1lnpa/
Old 10-27-2019, 05:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

During the passage before the gala banquet I noticed that King Felipe and King Willem-Alexander were very warm with the imperial couple. Both also gave a handkiss to the Empress. Queen Letizia embraced the Empress. Queen Máxima embraced both the Emperor and the Empress, kissed the Empress twice and then whispered something in her ear, with a sweet reaction from the Empress.

The Prince of Wales, the Prince of Monaco, the Grand-Duke of Luxembourg and the Swedes were just formal: no kissing and no hugging. The Belgians and the Danes I have missed.

Especially Prince Albert looked awkward. The lighting was a crime and in that he looked pale and puffy in his ugly white little uniform jacket with his wrinkled two-sizes-too-big black pantalon. Well-tailored classic black tails would have done wonders to his appearance. There really must be a good tailor somewhere in Monte-Carlo, come on, Prince Albert...
Old 10-27-2019, 06:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
During the passage before the gala banquet I noticed that King Felipe and King Willem-Alexander were very warm with the imperial couple. Both also gave a handkiss to the Empress. Queen Letizia embraced the Empress. Queen Máxima embraced both the Emperor and the Empress, kissed the Empress twice and then whispered something in her ear, with a sweet reaction from the Empress.

The Prince of Wales, the Prince of Monaco, the Grand-Duke of Luxembourg and the Swedes were just formal: no kissing and no hugging. The Belgians and the Danes I have missed.

King Philippe gave the Empress a handkiss, as did Grand Duke Henri, which is actually a formal thing. Mathilde also hugged the Empress and kissed her on the cheek twice, but not as enthusiastically as Letizia and Máxima. King Carl Gustaf, who I think also handkissed (but I don't remember) was also quite formal as was CP Victoria, who kissed discreetly on the cheek, but curtsied twice to Masako . It looks like Victoria was a little bit nervous and worried about not being deferential enough ; she also walked very far behind her father, which also surprised me.

CP Mary's was the deepest/lowest curtsy (showing how super fit Mary is) and she also bowed her head while curtsying, which is not the European way, but I guess she thought would be appropriate in Japan (she doesn't do that in Europe, so I guess it was not just a mistake).

What caught my attention, however, was that the members of the Japanese government (?) , including PM Abe and his wife (?), who was wearing a traditional kymono, did not touch the Emperor and Empress at all (I mean , not even shook hands). They only bowed at a very considerable distance BTW by western standards. That is the Japanese way, which makes Letizia's and Maxima's Spanish warmth even more striking in comparison.

EDIT: You can see all royal guests greeting the imperial couple in the video below. I linked it from the moment the Prince of Wales came in, but Frederik and Mary came in much earlier (around 25:50).

https://youtu.be/w2s_hbTj0Wg?t=2830

BTW, maybe the British royal watchers here can explain why the Prince of Wales always does that fingerpointing thing when he is making small talk.