Japanese Enthronement Celebrations: April - October 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mathilde and Mary win the day with their elegant gowns. I love Maxima's gown, but that flower on her head … what was she thinking? And, Letizia! It looks as if she's wearing something fashioned out of her grandmother's bedspread! The belt doesn't help the look at all.

JMHO.

This video from the Spanish RH just came up on my Twitter feed and I think it is very cute! It shows the arrival of several foreign royals:

F&L first arrive and greet CG & Victoria and I can't really follow the conversation but I Leti asks Victoria about her kids, from some video/picture they have received? Ans I guess she talk about Estelle cause she asks her age and Victoria answers "seven"...and then I'm pretty sure Letizia says something like "I think we could organize something next summer"? I think it is a lovely little talk.

Then WA&M arrive and Max and Leti obviously greet each other in Spanish, but what surprised me is that Leti greets also WA in Spanish. And then WA says "what a nice gettogether!"

Was their daughter not present? Or did I just miss her in the pictures?

This video from the Spanish RH just came up on my Twitter feed and I think it is very cute! It shows the arrival of several foreign royals:

F&L first arrive and greet CG & Victoria and I can't really follow the conversation but I Leti asks Victoria about her kids, from some video/picture they have received? Ans I guess she talk about Estelle cause she asks her age and Victoria answers "seven"...and then I'm pretty sure Letizia says something like "I think we could organize something next summer"? I think it is a lovely little talk.

Then WA&M arrive and Max and Leti obviously greet each other in Spanish, but what surprised me is that Leti greets also WA in Spanish. And then WA says "what a nice gettogether!"

Letizia’s English is really good. And it is nice how Victoria curtsies to all the Majesties regardless of whether anyone is filming it or not,, which she couldn’t possibly know.

Máxima with the Mellerio ruby, Letizia with the Fleur de Lys, Victoria is wearing the Laurel Wreath and Mathilde appears to be wearing the base of the Nine Privinces, but I didn’t see it very clearly.

So most of my predictions were wrong as usual.

Edit: I didn’t see CP Mary arriving.

Last edited by a moderator:
So happy that Ayako is pregnant….
But where was Aiko, is she considered too Young to attend ?

Nobody from Norway ? I know Queen Sonja and Mette-Marit are unwell, but what about the King or Haakon ?

Letizia’s English is really good. And it is nice how Victoria curtsies to all the Majesties regardless of whether anyone is filming it or not,, which she couldn’t possibly know.

Protocol is in place whether there are cameras or noT. It would be more noteworthy if she didn´t curtsy.

Last edited:
:previous:

Could they be at their hotel?

Perhaps they're staying at the same hotel and that's why they are always running into each other

EDIT: The man King Felipe introduces to the King and the Crown Princess is the Spanish Minister of Foreign Affairs, who is travelling with them to Japan and South Korea.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia at the dinner:

http://www.casareal.es/sitios/Lista...JA-ES-226632/reyes_cena_japon_20191022_01.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHezqnBWkAApVfl?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHezqm-WwAAXu31?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Is it just me? I find it strange that the table clothes aren’t full length to the ground and the absence of elaborate table designs/flowers. Seems skimpy? JMHO

More curtsies from Victoria when she and her father met Felipe and Letizia again.

Just nu! Första bilderna från galamiddagen i Tokyo _ Svensk Dam

Brunei's Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah sits beside emperor Naruhito, and king Carl Gustaf beside Empress Masako. Victoria sits beside her father.
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdlGwziWmFLPfw_WatermarkPreview.jpg
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdlZHrXTX85Qqk_WatermarkPreview.jpg

Is King Carl Gustaf seated next to the imperial couple because he is the longest reigning monarch in attendance or is it just a coincidence ?

I agree that the table cloth and decoration are disappointing for a gala dinner, but I assume Japan wanted to keep it low key with the recent typhoon and a different social attitude in general vis-a-vis the Imperial Family. All monarchies are cutting on pomp and ceremony to a certain extent.

Last edited:
Prince Hisahito

I have not seen any pictures of Prince Hisahito attending his uncle’s enthronement. Was he there?

I have not seen any pictures of Prince Hisahito attending his uncle’s enthronement. Was he there?

Both he and Princess Aiko are too young to have been included.

Is King Carl Gustaf seated next to the imperial couple because he is the longest reigning monarch in attendance or is it just a coincidence ?

I agree that the table cloth and decoration are disappointing for a gala dinner, but I assume Japan wanted to keep it low key with the recent typhon and a different social attitude in general vis-a-vis the Imperial Family. All monarchies are cutting on pomp and ceremony to a certain extent.

Also, the aesthetic is quite different in Japan. Swathes of fabric and tables overloaded with silver, crystal and china are not as common as a more refined and streamlined look.

Pity. They could have sat with their grandparents to watch especially as one day it will be him (or maybe her!) sitting on the throne.

I enjoyed the lack of commentary - nothing worse than someone prattling on spouting nonsense just to say something. Although it would have been nice to have the occasional subtitle saying what was going to happen. But the silence made the whole ceremony quite fascinating and meditative.

What a fascinating, beautiful and timeless ceremony.

If it wasn't for the foreign guests and the gentlemen wearing suits (and having white teeth) this might just as well be an enthronement coverage from the 1700's.

I love traditions done with style!

I agree that the table cloth and decoration are disappointing for a gala dinner, but I assume Japan wanted to keep it low key with the recent typhoon and a different social attitude in general vis-a-vis the Imperial Family. All monarchies are cutting on pomp and ceremony to a certain extent.

Seating is never a "coincidence" at state occasions like these.It is the result of long and careful planning considering high diplomacy. And yes, the King of Sweden sits right beside the Empress because he is 2nd longest reigning monarch present at the banquet (1st longest reigning monarch is the Sultan of Brunei, sitting next to the Emperor).

Sorry, is the King of Swaziland (or Lesotho?) sitting next to CPss Victoria and his wife wearing a daytime suit?!:ermm::bang::ohmy:

Wonderful celebrations
I enjoyed all the pictures and videos for both morning and evening events
Is there photos of Moulay Rachid and Prince hussein from the cermony..i couldn't find any

I really like these japanese ceremonies! The abdiction was cool and the enthronement as well! In Japan everything is well timed, full of dignity and only as long as necessary.

In other cultures the crowning of the new monarch would take a whole day - at least. And in Japan an hour. But it was everything in there!

And the architecture! Marvellous! The dresses of the Empress and the other girls looked terrific too.

Question: Was the golden bird over the throne pavillion a Phoenix?

fantastic pictures!

victoria looked stunning in that purple gown. i like maxima repeating that grey gown but the hat needs to go - it is too much. i liked mary's caped gown too. letizia's dress would have been fine for another event (minus that ugly belt) but i think this event called for something a bit more muted (clearly victoria, maxima and mary got the memo on that as they all picked solid gowns in solid colours).

not sure i appreciated how letizia in a video was talking to 2 gentlemen and then totally turned her back on them to greet carl gustav and victoria. thank goodness felipe brought them back in to introduce them. didn't seem very respectful on leti's part.

love the joy of victoria and maxima of seeing each other in this pic:
https://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:157255136:1800x650:w?v=5da1df12&m=egibmpom

funny comment by WA ironically telling the other royals 'what a nice get together, nice and informal!' as they all greeted each other in their gala gowns, hats and sashes :)

Such an impressive get together! I think Victoria stole the show in that beautiful gown and hat!

Just wondering what the royals were looking out on? It looks from the video I watched like the courtyard and not the enthronement room itself but they had screens to watch it on. Is that correct?

I had hoped Prince Albert II would be accompanied by his glamorous older sister The Princess of Hanover and we'd get to see one of the Grimaldi tiaras.

Nice to see everyone there; especially the Bhutanese royals as I didn't know if they would be attending or not. It certainly was a feast for fashion and jewel watcher's eyes today!

Back
Top Bottom