Imperial Family of Japan Current Events Part 3: May 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2022 New Year celebrations will be scaled-down due to the pandemic. Number of attendees will be limited to about 260.

Source: Jiji

ETA: The general public New Year greetings on January 2 are canceled. Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako released a video message in place of the public greetings in 2021. Other ceremonies such as New Year Lectures and Poetry Reading will be held with infection control measures.

Sources: Jiji, NHK

Last edited:
On December 25th, Imperial family members attended Emperor Taisho's memorial ceremony at the Imperial Palace Sanctuaries. This was Princess Aiko's 1st court ritual. Empress Masako did not attend in consideration of her physical condition and Crown Princess Kiko was absent due to mourning. Video was not released although news24/NNN reported Aiko led the princesses, wearing the standard worship clothes, off-white hat, and coat.

FNN has photos of Crown Prince Akishino and Princess Kako's arrival.

news24.jp video includes Princesses Akiko and Yohko entering the Imperial Palace.

According to Asahi schedule 12/20-26, Princesses Hisako and Tsuguko attended a ceremony at Emperor Taisho's mausoleum.

Screenshots:
akishino_taisho2021_fnn.jpg

kako_taisho2021_fnn.jpg

akiko_taisho2021_nnn.jpg

yohko_taisho2021_nnn.jpg

Imperial family 2022 New Year video/photos

Photos: Asahi, Mainichi, Mainichi2

Recorded/photographed separately due to pandemic.

December 21: Emperor Naruhito's family. The toy tiger on the table is "hariko tora" from Izumo, Shimane Prefecture. The 2022 zodiac animal is the tiger.
December 13: Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko
December 11: Crown Prince Akishino family. They are discussing a book about overseas plants.
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako's 2022 (Reiwa 4) New Year message was recorded on December 28.

Transcript: https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/page/okotoba/detail/90#337
January 1 schedule: https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/news/gyouziitiran-r040101.html

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Scaled-down New Year Receptions on January 1.

:sad: Crown Prince Akishino takes precedence over Princess Aiko...
She's going to awkwardly in between the Akishino family? Will she be after Crown Princess Kiko as well? :ermm:

Photos: Asahi, Mainichi, AP Images, FNN

Prince Hisahito visited Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko for New Year's greetings, arriving around 10:30am, see FNN photo. Underage royal greetings at the Imperial Palace was timed for 10:15am.

Other Imperial family members visited after receptions finished in the afternoon, see Sankei photo of Emperor Naruhito's family.
Ambassador of Georgia leaving for the Imperial Palace

Ambassador of Venezuela
https://twitter.com/EmbaVEJapon/status/1477200916222984192

Guests received a traditional box of New Year food, Osechi dishes
https://twitter.com/matsubarajin731/status/1477174313581428736

Ambassador of Haiti and Osechi box
https://twitter.com/HelphMonod/status/1477269568108503045

Ambassador of Serbia
https://mobile.twitter.com/SRBinJapan/status/1477140051973013507

Last edited:
[Delete please, double post. Don't know what happened.]

Last edited:
Scaled-down New Year Receptions on January 1.

She's going to awkwardly in between the Akishino family? Will she be after Crown Princess Kiko as well? :ermm:

I think they're going to do that :ermm: which is so odd, I already saw some Japanese questioning the precedence as even though Fumihito is crown prince, the side branch is higher than a member from main branch here. It is just strange, Fumihito (and Kiko) isn't a part of core of the imperial court (I don't know is it an accurate translation but I'm referring to the term 内廷 mentioned in IHA's website) but he is taking precedence over someone who is part of the 内廷.

I think they're going to do that :ermm: which is so odd, I already saw some Japanese questioning the precedence [...]

It's interesting that some Japanese royal watchers are questioning the precedence. But a different decision would have been a great surprise to me.

The position of crown prince carries a special title and, under normal conditions, his position and rights are afforded special protections by the Imperial House Law, protections that do not extend to the other princes (see Articles 16, 19, 22). From these facts, it's apparent that the crown prince (and his consort by extension, I assume) customarily enjoys a special status.

In Western monarchies (which accord their crown princes special titles and status as well), the principle of male preference succession is more important than primogeniture when it comes to deciding the rules of precedence. For example, following a strict rule of primogeniture, Infanta Elena and her children are a more senior branch of the Spanish royal family than her younger brother King Felipe and his children. But because Felipe was the crown prince and is now the king, Elena and her children must give precedence to Felipe and his children.

as even though Fumihito is crown prince, the side branch is higher than a member from main branch here. It is just strange, Fumihito (and Kiko) isn't a part of core of the imperial court (I don't know is it an accurate translation but I'm referring to the term 内廷 mentioned in IHA's website) but he is taking precedence over someone who is part of the 内廷.

Thank you for the link, I didn't know that. But for Princess Aiko's generation, the reality is that her cousin Hisahito is the future of the imperial family and he and his descendants will eventually be the main branch, whereas Aiko (if she remains a royal) will be the side branch.

Last edited:
Thanks W.Y.CII and Tatiana Maria.
I've seen the term Inner/Outer court used as translations.

Inner court: Emperor, Empress, Princess Aiko, Emperor Emeritus Akihito, Empress Emerita Michiko
Outer court: Akishino, Hitachi, Mikasa, and Takamado branches

In the Heisei era, the Emperor and Crown Prince Naruhito families were the Inner court. I suppose the Crown Prince Akishino family should be in the Inner court now but they've retained some Outer court statuses.

The special title/preference leaves Princess Aiko getting mistaken to be an Akishino family member. Some tweets just saw her as Mako's replacement.

Last edited:
In the Heisei era, the Emperor and Crown Prince Naruhito families were the Inner court. I suppose the Crown Prince Akishino family should be in the Inner court now but they've retained some Outer court statuses.

It's a bit complicated as the inner court (thanks for the translation BTW!) only included 1) the reigning emperor and his consort, 2) the emperor emeritus and his consort, 3) the crown prince/oldest son of reigning emperor and his consort (皇太子), 4) the oldest son of crown prince/oldest son of reigning emperor (皇長孫), 5) the children of reigning emperor who has no independent branch yet (not married yet), 6) the children of crown prince/oldest son of reigning emperor who has no independent branch yet (not married yet).

Fumihito was a part of inner court since his birth (as the unmarried grand/son of current emperor) untill he's married and had his own branch (Akishino).

Unless IHA changes the system they can't put the Akishinos back into the inner court because even though Fumihito is the crown prince, he isn't the oldest son.

It's a bit "lost in translation", as in Japanese Fumihito is addressed as 皇嗣 (heir apparent) rather than 皇太子, which refers to the heir apparent AND the oldest son of reigning emperor (currently there is no 皇太子 in JIF), but in English both are translated as "crown prince" (BTW 皇嗣 and 皇太子 still share same precedence). Similar to the Prince of Wales / Duke of Cornwall in UK, like Fumihito got the Japanese version of PoW but he could never be the Japanese version of DoC.

The special title/preference leaves Princess Aiko getting mistaken to be an Akishino family member. Some tweets just saw her as Mako's replacement.

That's another problem, the Akishino-no-miya is actually separated in the precedence here.

Another problem would be, when Hisahito is 20, where would he be placed? right after his father as the heir of the heir? or placed between Aiko and Kako?

Last edited:
It's a bit complicated as the inner court (thanks for the translation BTW!) only included 1) the reigning emperor and his consort, 2) the emperor emeritus and his consort, 3) the crown prince/oldest son of reigning emperor and his consort (皇太子), 4) the oldest son of crown prince/oldest son of reigning emperor (皇長孫), 5) the children of reigning emperor who has no independent branch yet (not married yet), 6) the children of crown prince/oldest son of reigning emperor who has no independent branch yet (not married yet).

[...]

It's a bit "lost in translation", as in Japanese Fumihito is addressed as 皇嗣 (heir apparent) rather than 皇太子, which refers to the heir apparent AND the oldest son of reigning emperor (currently there is no 皇太子 in JIF), but in English both are translated as "crown prince" (BTW 皇嗣 and 皇太子 still share same precedence). Similar to the Prince of Wales / Duke of Cornwall in UK, like Fumihito got the Japanese version of PoW but he could never be the Japanese version of DoC.

When preparing the special legislation for Akihito's abdication, the then government did consider conferring Fumihito with the title of 皇太弟 (my understanding is that it translates literally to Imperial Grand Younger Brother), which would have been equivalent to the Imperial House Law stipulated titles of 皇太子 (Imperial Grand Child) for a crown prince who is a son of the emperor or 皇太孫 (Imperial Grand Grandchild) for a crown prince who is a grandson of the emperor.

Unless IHA changes the system they can't put the Akishinos back into the inner court because even though Fumihito is the crown prince, he isn't the oldest son.

The inner court-outer court division is not part of the Imperial House Law; I assume that means the IHA has the freedom to change the system?

That's another problem, the Akishino-no-miya is actually separated in the precedence here.

Another problem would be, when Hisahito is 20, where would he be placed? right after his father as the heir of the heir? or placed between Aiko and Kako?

His lack of a special title or legal status would justify placing him after Aiko or even after Kako, but in my opinion he should be placed immediately after his parents as an emperor to be.

The eventualities that would result the crown not passing to him – Hisahito predeceasing his uncle and father, his uncle remarrying a younger woman and having a son, a future introduction of equal primogeniture being applied to existing royals who are already adults, a scandal involving Hisahito which is so serious that the government will act to strip him of his position in the succession – have little substantial prospect of occurring. He is a future emperor, and I think it would be pointless for the protocol to pretend otherwise.

Last edited:
So far, Prince Hisahito has been behind his sister(s). However, we don't see much of him as he's a minor and public activities/family events have been so limited. We'll see what happens he comes of age at 18 (Japan's lower adulthood age goes into effect this year).

English translation of the Emperor Naruhito's New Year message at Emperor's Wishes for a Year of ‘Bright Hopes and Dreams’ via Video Message - Japan Forward

TV Tokyo uploaded a longer 2022 New Year Receptions video:
- Tsuguko is still spaced too far or camera simply can't capture that edge
- more focus on diplomatic corps
English videos:
On January 7th, the Imperial family marked the anniversary of Emperor Showa's death. Princess Kako worshipped at his mausoleum at Musashino Imperial Graveyard in Hachioji, Tokyo. Other family members attended a ceremony at the Imperial Palace Sanctuaries.

Photos: Mainichi, AP Images, FNN

Last edited:
The Imperial family attended Kousho Hajime (Imperial New Year's Lectures) on January 14.

Photos: FNN, AP Images, Mainichi

Absences:
Empress Masako - poor physical condition/feeling unwell. IHA reports there's no fever/cold, so for now, she plans to attend Poetry Reading on the 18th according to news24.jp
Princess Aiko - university exams
Crown Princess Kiko - still mourning for her late father

Lecturers, subjects:
Katsumi Mimaki (74), Professor Emeritus of Kyoto University -"New Stage of Bon and Buddhist Studies" in Tibetan Buddhism, India

Keijiro Otsuka (73), Professor Emeritus of Social System Innovation Center, Kobe University - Development economics - "Japanese rice cultivation technology spreading from Asia to Africa" ​​

Takeo Kanade (76), Carnegie Mellon University Professor, Robotics Institute - computer vision, robotics - "Artificial intelligence"

Last edited:
I assume princess Aiko still has exams as she isn't attending this event either. Interesting dresses for the empress and princess Kako (the latter is busy but seems to work; that isn't the case for the dress of the empress imho).

Yes, Princess Aiko has university studies/exams and she submitted a poem since she's an adult now. 2022 theme is "mado" (window) and next year's theme is "tomo" (friend)

This year, Princess Kako's poem was recited on behalf the Imperial branches.

More photos: Mainichi, FNN

English translations and background for poems of Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako, Crown Prince Akishino, and Princess Aiko: https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-culture/pdf/utakai-r04.pdf

All poems from Imperial family, literary critic Akimasa Kanno, and 10 poems selected from the general public: Asahi

Poem by Princess Aiko recited at annual poetry ceremony - The Japan News
[...]

The event featured recitals of waka poems by the Emperor, the Empress, members of the Imperial family, and literary critic Akimasa Kanno, 92, who was specially invited by the Emperor, as well as poems by 10 members of the public that were selected from among 13,830 entries.

The poems, each with 31 syllables, were recited in a traditional chanting style.

The Imperial couple’s daughter Princess Aiko, who has become an adult member of the Imperial family since turning 20 on Dec. 1, contributed a poem for the event for the first time but did not attend the ceremony because of her school studies.

About 100 members of the public are usually invited to the event, but only five people were invited this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Raito Namba, a first-year student at Tokyo Gakkan Niigata High School in Kamo, Niigata Prefecture, the youngest among the 10 poets selected from among the public, did not attend the ceremony for health reasons.

[...]
I suppose the 5 invited guests are the singers? Not counting the IHA staff, 9 general public poets, and others apparently "necessary" for the scaled-down event.

TBS/JNN uploaded the full Utakai Hajime ceremony
Someone uploaded a clip of NHK's coverage, I think. Other close ups of relatives.

Last edited:
Imperial family members (age 65+) received a 3rd dose of a Covid vaccine

February 1: Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko at their residence

February 2: Prince Hitachi, Princess Hanako, Princess Hisako, and Princess Nobuko at the IHA hospital

Sources: Yomiuri, FNN

3vax_hisako.jpg

3vax_nobuko.jpg

Yes, Princess Aiko has university studies/exams and she submitted a poem since she's an adult now. 2022 theme is "mado" (window) and next year's theme is "tomo" (friend)

This year, Princess Kako's poem was recited on behalf the Imperial branches.

More photos: Mainichi, FNN

English translations and background for poems of Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako, Crown Prince Akishino, and Princess Aiko: https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-culture/pdf/utakai-r04.pdf

I appreciate that the IHA is providing translations and background on the messages of the senior royals' poems. All of them decided to keep to very simple messages on safe subjects, it seems.

Given her chosen studies in Japanese literature, this must be a very special first for Aiko.

I know the opening a window to the world metaphor in the Emperor and Princess Aiko's poems is part of the assigned theme, but when reading the two poems in conjunction I couldn't help but laugh at the unintended possible interpretation of Aiko's poem as her feeling the effects of the UK paring back its covid-19 restrictions.

On May 19th, Empress Masako, Crown Princess Kiko, Princess Nobuko, and Princess Hisako attended the Japanese Red Cross Society annual meeting at Meiji Jingu Kaikan Hall in Shibuya, Tokyo.

Empress Masako presented commendation certificates and medals to 13 individuals and organizations for their contributions. The meeting had not been held since 2019 due to the pandemic. TV Tokyo notes this is Masako's first "solo" official activity in 2 years and 9 months. NHK reports about 600 people attended the scaled-down ceremony.

Photos: AP Images, Getty Images, Asahi, FNN

Last edited:
:previous: English articles and video

Empress attends Japanese Red Cross Society gathering - The Japan News
[...] The Empress, who is the society’s honorary president, presented medals of merit to a total of 13 individuals and representatives of organizations for their contributions to promoting the society’s activities. Crown Princess Kiko, Princess Nobuko of Mikasa and Princess Hisako of Takamado, who are honorary vice presidents of the society, also attended the gathering held at the Meiji Jingu Kaikan hall in Shibuya Ward, Tokyo. About 600 people participated in the event. [...]
Empress attends convention for Japanese Red Cross Society | The Asahi Shimbun
Empress Masako attended the Japanese Red Cross Society’s national convention in Tokyo on May 19 for the first time in three years.

This was the empress's first solo official duty outside of the Imperial Palace since the 47th Florence Nightingale Medal awards ceremony in August 2019.

The annual convention of the Japanese Red Cross Society had been canceled in 2020 and 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

[...]

She also listened to a report from the director of the Japanese Red Cross Musashino Hospital with Crown Princess Kiko and other participants. The hospital has accepted many patients infected with the novel coronavirus.

“I am certain you have gone through many difficulties,” Masako told the director of the hospital after the convention.

[...]

On July 21st, Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako, Crown Prince Akishino, and Crown Princess Kiko visited Meiji Jingu in Shibuya, Tokyo and worshipped ahead of the 110th anniversary of Emperor Meiji's death (July 30).

Their Majesties worshipped in the morning, arriving around 9:40am, and the Crown Prince couple in the afternoon, arriving around 1:40pm. The Emeritus couple were scheduled to visit as well but canceled because they were exposed to Covid-19 from a staff member recently. They have tested negative so far.

Photos: AP Images, Asahi, Mainichi, FNN

Last edited:
On August 10th, Empress Masako, Crown Princess Kiko, Princess Nobuko, and Princess Hisako attended the 48th Florence Nightingale Medal ceremony at Tokyo Prince Hotel in Minato, Tokyo.

25 people from 18 countries were honored. From Japan, Chiyoko Fujita (63) and Noriko Tomabechi (58) received awards. Fujita of non-governmental organization (NGO) "Peshawar-kai," providing medical activities and training in Pakistan and other countries. Tomabechi of Japanese Red Cross Medical Center, was involved in disaster relief activities and coronavirus response. [Sankei]

Usually, the Empress would pin medals on recipients but this time, the medals were simply presented to prevent infection. The 48th Florence Nightingale Medal ceremony was postponed from 2021. [Jiji]

Photos: AP Images (updated), Asahi, FNN

On the same day, the Imperial Household Agency announced the autumn garden party will not be held due to the pandemic. So far, there's been no garden parties in Reiwa era.
Source: Sankei

ETA: Empress attends Florence Nightingale Medal award ceremony in Tokyo - The Japan News
[...] The Empress presented the two Japanese winners — nurses Chiyoko Fujita, 63 and Noriko Tomabechi, 58 — with a medal and an award certificate.

Fujita works for the Fukuoka-based non-governmental organization Peshawar-kai, which carries out humanitarian support work in Pakistan and other countries. Tomabechi, deputy manager of the Japanese Red Cross Medical Center’s department for international medical relief, coordinated the response to the novel coronavirus outbreak on the Diamond Princess cruise ship. [...]

Last edited:
The government requested Imperial family attendance at the state funeral for former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on September 27 at Nippon Budokan. The request specified “The Imperial Highnesses” as convenient for each household (excluding the Emperor, Empress, and Emeritus couple).

The request is similar to the request for Imperial attendance at the funeral of former Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone in October 2020 where 8 Imperial family members attended. The government and Liberal Democratic party hosted Nakasone's funeral. The Emperor, Empress, and Emeritus couple usually do not attend funerals, sending envoys instead.

The state funeral for former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is becoming controversial. A senior official of the Imperial Household Agency explained, "If the government requests that the Imperial family attend the funeral, but if they do not attend, it will be interpreted as 'the imperial family is opposed to the state funeral.'

The government sent a letter to the IHA requesting Imperial family attendance on July 22, the same day the state funeral was decided.

Sources: NTV, Mainichi, TBS, Sankei

Academics split over whether state funeral for Abe is necessary | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis
[...]

“The government likely wanted to honor him as an outstanding politician who stood at a level comparable to former Prime Minister Shigeru Yoshida,” said Takeshi Hara, a professor of the history of Japanese political thought at the Open University of Japan.

Yoshida is the only former prime minister after World War II to be accorded a state funeral, which was held in 1967.

Hara pointed out that Yoshida died at 89, and the public generally acknowledged that he established the foundation for postwar Japan.

“But Abe’s death was just too sudden,” Hara said. “I feel the intent to try to unilaterally establish the assessment of him as ‘an outstanding politician who met a violent death before realizing his goal’ even before an evaluation was made of the good and bad points of his administration, including various facts that have not yet been disclosed.”

[...]
1,200 protesters gather in Tokyo to oppose state funeral for Abe | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis

Shift in public sentiment over state funeral bad news for Kishida | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis

Japan's Cabinet OKs 249 mil. yen to pay for Abe state funeral - Kyodo News

EDITORIAL: Questions still growing over state funeral planned for Abe | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis
[...]

A state funeral was held only once in the postwar period when former Prime Minister Shigeru Yoshida died 55 years ago. It has been customary in recent years for the government and the ruling Liberal Democratic Party to hold a joint funeral when a former prime minister dies.

Abe was at the helm of Japan for a total of eight years and eight months, the longest in the country’s constitutional history. However, there is no agreed-upon evaluation of the policy measures he took.

Suspicions linger that Abe appropriated his administration for his personal interests in the scandals involving the Moritomo Gakuen and Kake educational institutions as well as over the tax-funded cherry blossom viewing parties.

It is also coming to light that Abe had deep ties with the Family Federation for World Peace and Unification, the religious group commonly known as the Unification Church.

[...]

Last edited:
On the morning of September 17th, Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako departed on a government plane from Haneda Airport to attend the state funeral of Queen Elizabeth II.

Princess Aiko saw them off from the Imperial residence. The Crown Prince Akishino couple attended the send off ceremony at the airport.

Photos: AP Images, Mainichi, Asahi, FNN, FNN2

Japan emperor, empress leave for Queen Elizabeth's state funeral - Kyodo News
Japanese Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako on Saturday left for Britain on a government plane to attend Queen Elizabeth II's state funeral, marking the couple's first trip abroad since he ascended the Chrysanthemum Throne in 2019.

For the empress, who has long been battling a stress-induced illness, it is also her first overseas trip since she attended the coronation of Tonga's King Tupou VI in 2015.

[...]

The imperial couple are scheduled to arrive at London Stansted Airport on Saturday afternoon and stay at Claridge's hotel during their visit. They are expected to return home on Tuesday.

[...]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSit4cKv6AE

Last edited:
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako returned to Tokyo's Haneda airport on September 20. Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko were among those who welcomed them back from their journey to London:

** gettyimages gallery **

:previous: Thanks! another gallery from FNN

NTV reports they arrived around 7:30pm to Haneda Airport and returned to the Imperial residence (welcomed back by Princess Aiko) an hour later.

On September 21st, the Imperial Household Agency announced 7 Imperial family members will attend the state funeral of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on September 27:

- Crown Prince Akishino, Crown Princess Kiko, Princess Kako
- Princesses Tomohito (Nobuko) and Akiko of Mikasa
- Princess Takamado (Hisako) and Tsuguko

As customary, the Imperial and Emeritus couples will send their chamberlains to pay respects on their behalf and present flowers.

Sources: Asahi, Sankei

7 Imperial family members, not Imperial couple, will attend state funeral for Abe - The Japan News

The controversial state funeral...

13,000 people brave typhoon to protest state funeral for Abe | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis
Opposition lawmakers joined thousands of protesters in Tokyo on Sept. 19 who demanded the government scrap the state funeral for slain former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

According to the organizers, around 13,000 people gathered at Yoyogi Park in Tokyo’s Shibuya Ward despite the heavy rain and wind from Typhoon No. 14.

[...]
Man sets himself on fire in protest against state funeral for Abe | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis
A man believed to be in his 70s set himself on fire in Tokyo on Sept. 21 to protest the planned state funeral for former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, police said.

He suffered burns over his entire body but remains conscious and in stable condition at a hospital, they said.

According to the Metropolitan Police Department, a pedestrian reported a “man in flames” on a street near the prime minister’s office in Tokyo’s Chiyoda Ward around 6:50 a.m. on Sept. 21.

The Tokyo Fire Department said a police officer who was trying to extinguish the fire suffered a burn on the right arm.

At the scene, police found a handwritten letter that said, “As an individual, I vehemently oppose the state funeral.”

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Aiko and Princess Kako will attend the "Autumn Gagaku Concert" at the Imperial Household Agency Music Department on November 5.

According to aides, Princess Aiko is very interested in Gagaku, such as taking an online class on Japanese traditional performing arts as an elective at Gakushuin University last year.

The IHA usually holds Gagaku concerts in spring and autumn but due to the accession and pandemic, these events have not been held since the beginning of Reiwa era (2019).

Sources: tv-asahi, NTV

:previous: On November 5th, Princess Aiko and Princess Kako attended the "Autumn Gagaku Concert" at the Imperial Household Agency Music Department. This the first gagaku concert of the Reiwa era and includes a new program for Emperor Naruhito's enthronement. The concert was held twice, morning and afternoon, and the cousins attended the afternoon session. Due to infection prevention measures, the event was not open to general applicants.

According to a close aide, Princess Aiko requested to attend the concert as there are no university classes on the 5th.

Photos/info: Mainichi, FNN, AP Images, Getty Images, NHK, NTV

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Back
Top Bottom