Imperial Family of Japan Current Events Part 3: May 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako will host their first garden party on May 11.

Asahi Imperial Schedule May 8-14 lists other Imperial family members: Crown Prince Akishino couple, Princesses Kako, Hanako, Nobuko, Akiko, Yohko, Hisako and Tsuguko.

I wasn't expecting Princess Hanako at the garden party. Nice surprise.

Full videos of the Garden Party on May 12th!

The event was attended by Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako, Crown Prince Akishino (Fumihito), Crown Princess Kiko and Princesses Kako, Hanako, Nobuko, Akiko, Yōko, Hisako and Tsuguko.

Sources/Videos: YouTube
YouTube

Prisma, I follow you on Twitter! (I am the one who always asks you so many questions about the Imperial Family :lol:). If you want to use my screenshots to create a post you can do it, I would be very happy! :flowers:
I wanted to ask you, what do you think Princess Hanako had since 1:13:40 of the second video? She seems disoriented to me after something has been communicated to her. At some point she slipped I think.

I made some screenshots from 2nd video (Part 1/2):
Screenshot_20230512_165240.jpg
:previous: Princesses Akiko and Yōko

Screenshot_20230512_165253.jpg
:previous: Princesses Yōko, Hisako and Tsuguko

Screenshot_20230512_165359.jpg
:previous: Princesses Hanako and Nobuko (cropped)

Screenshot_20230512_165315.jpg
:previous: Princesses Hanako, Nobuko, Akiko and Yōko

Screenshot_20230512_165417.jpg
:previous: Princesses Hanako and Nobuko

Screenshot_20230512_165429.jpg
:previous: Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako

Screenshot_20230512_165447.jpg
:previous: (2) Princesses Hanako, Nobuko, Akiko and Yōko

Screenshot_20230512_165539.jpg
:previous: Princesses Akiko and Yōko (cropped)

Screenshot_20230512_171425.jpg
:previous: Princess Hanako leaving

Screenshot_20230512_171900.jpg
:previous: Princess Tsuguko leaving

Some screenshots from 2nd video of the Garden Party (Part 2/2):

Screenshot_20230512_205009.jpg
:previous: Princess Kako leaving

Screenshot_20230512_171912.jpg
:previous: Princess Hisako leaving

Screenshot_20230512_171834.jpg
:previous: Princess Nobuko leaving

Screenshot_20230512_171848.jpg
:previous: Princesses Akiko and Yōko leaving

Screenshot_20230512_212001.jpg
:previous: Princess Hisako talking to guests

Screenshot_20230512_211856.jpg
:previous: Princesses Hisako and Tsuguko talking to guests

Screenshot_20230512_211926.jpg
:previous: Princess Tsuguko talking to guests

Last edited by a moderator:
What a shame that it was raining so heavily. That must have been very uncomfortable for everyone.
Yes, too bad about the rain. Fortunately it cleared up at times. I guess it was too late to change the dress code. Rain with heels isn't much better but at least the ladies wouldn't have to worry about getting kimonos wet.

[...]

Prisma, I follow you on Twitter! (I am the one who always asks you so many questions about the Imperial Family :lol:). If you want to use my screenshots to create a post you can do it, I would be very happy! :flowers:
I wanted to ask you, what do you think Princess Hanako had since 1:13:40 of the second video? She seems disoriented to me after something has been communicated to her. At some point she slipped I think.

[...]
Thanks MarieAmelie_95! :flowers: I took some screenshots too, these videos were uploaded when I was sleeping. :lol:
Very cool The Page ( Yahoo Japan) shared full videos. I hope this continues and it's not just a one-time thing because it's the first garden party in Reiwa era or after pandemic cancellations.

Not sure about Princess Hanako. Maybe she simply wanted clarification on easiest exit after being on her feet for 2 hours. If she was disoriented, I'd hope the IHA staff would step in immediately.

Emperor, Empress Hold 1st Imperial Garden Party since Start of Pandemic - Japan News
[...] Amid an occasionally hard rain, the Emperor and the Empress walked around the gardens under umbrellas to chat with their guests for about two hours.

Former world No. 1 wheelchair tennis player Shingo Kunieda, 39, a recipient of the People’s Honor Award in March, discussed his retirement in January with the Emperor and the Empress.

The Emperor praised him by saying, “I feel that you conveyed to many people how wonderful a sport wheelchair tennis is.”

The Emperor, a casual tennis player himself, revealed to Kunieda that about 15 years ago he had the chance to receive some tips from tennis legend Roger Federer. Kunieda looked surprised and responded, “Wow, really?”

Also among the guests was Akira Yoshino, 75, an honorary fellow of Asahi Kasei Corp. who received the Nobel Prize in chemistry in 2019 for developing the lithium-ion battery. Yoshino told the Emperor of his hope that use of the battery in electric cars will continue to progress and contribute to a solution of global environment issues.

The Emperor told him, “That would be wonderful, as global warming is a serious problem.”

[...]

Standing next to each other as they greeted the Emperor and Empress were table tennis player Mima Ito, 22, who won three medals at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021, and speed skater Miho Takagi, 28, a gold medalist at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.

When the Empress asked them, “Have you ever done anything together before?” they answered that this was the first time they have ever met. They then thanked the Empress for providing an opportunity for athletes in summer and winter sports to meet.

[...]
First imperial garden party in Reiwa Era held with 1,000 guests | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis
Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako attended a spring garden party with about 1,000 guests at the Akasaka Imperial Garden in the Moto-Akasaka district of Tokyo’s Minato Ward on May 11.

[...]

Only around half the usual number of guests were invited to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Food and alcoholic drinks were not served.

Guests were advised to wear masks near the path in the garden where royal family members mingled with them.

[...]

Naruhito acknowledged the efforts and achievements of Shingo Kunieda, who retired earlier this year after winning a gold medal in the men’s wheelchair tennis singles competition at the Tokyo Paralympics in 2021.

“You have worked hard in the development of wheelchair tennis and parasports,” he told Kunieda.

Kunieda replied, “I was able to demonstrate the wonders of wheelchair tennis, and I feel like I have accomplished my mission.”

Naruhito congratulated Mima Ito, who won a historic gold medal for Japan in the table tennis mixed doubles event at the Tokyo Olympics along with partner Jun Mizutani.

“(Winning gold) was quite spectacular,” he told her.

Masako gave warm words to Ito as well: “Please take care of your health.”

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako are worried about attendees at the May 11 garden party during the heavy rain.

They thanked staff immediately after the garden party ended, appreciating efforts to hold the event following a 4.5 year hiatus. In consideration of attendees caught in heavy rain, Their Majesties also asked for ideas on improvements in holding future events in bad weather.

It was revealed that, when Empress Masako talked to Kabuki actor Kataoka Nizaemon, she mispronounced "rain" as "snow" when talking about rainy weather because she had spoken with someone from Hokkaido just before.

Source: FNN

Japanese twitter found Princess Tsuguko's stained glass umbrella, costs ¥1,980 (about $14.60 USD)

https://www.felissimo.co.jp/youmore/348759.html

8760 by postseven gallery for Imperial ladies' kimonos

-----

ETA: Japan twitter also found Princess Hisako's purple bird umbrella, costs ¥6,600 (about $48.63 USD)

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/moonbat/ful0122m0012/?variantId=21392

On May 18th, Empress Masako, Crown Princess Kiko, Princess Hanako, Princess Nobuko, and Princess Hisako attended the Japanese Red Cross Society national convention at Meiji Jingu Kaikan in Shibuya, Tokyo.

Empress Masako conferred certificates and medals of merit to 13 individuals and organization representatives. After the ceremony, Her Majesty expressed gratitude to the woman who helped Ukraine, saying, "I hope the humanitarian crisis will end soon." Speaking with a 2nd year high school student, who was commended for volunteer activities such as setting up a food bank during the pandemic, Empress Masako said,"You are doing wonderful activities, please continue to do so even when you become a university student."

Photos: AP Images, Jiji

Empress Masako Attends Japanese Red Cross Convention | Nippon.com
Japanese Empress Masako attended a convention of the Japanese Red Cross Society on Thursday, her first solo appearance outside the Imperial Palace since August last year.

As honorary president of the organization, the Empress, wearing a light blue suit, presented medals to a total of 13 individuals and group representatives for their outstanding Red Cross activities. [...]
I wish the article didn't describe Masako's appearance as "solo." It's not correct as other Imperial family members attended.

Last edited:
There will be fewer Imperial ladies at the 49th Florence Nightingale Medal Award Ceremony scheduled on July 27 at Tokyo Prince Hotel.

Empress Masako, Princess Hanako and Princess Nobuko will attend.

Crown Princess Kiko was scheduled to attend but tested positive for Covid-19 and is estimated to be recovering until July 29.

Princess Hisako is in mourning for her mother Fumiko Tottori.

Sources: Asahi, FNN

Copy of Asahi's Imperial schedule July 24-30 at https://blog.goo.ne.jp/umenohanatiru/e/5bd77c4e90c7776600b0c156283c4971

Empress Masako, Princess Hanako and Princess Nobuko attended the 49th Florence Nightingale Medal Award Ceremony at Tokyo Prince Hotel on July 27. The ceremony is held every 2 years. 37 people were selected from 22 countries and regions this year. In addition, the "candle service" by nursing students resumed after a pandemic hiatus.

Photos/info: FNN, AP Images, Getty Images, Jiji, TBS

Recipients from Japan
Miki Takahara (57)
Registered nurse. Deputy Nursing Director of the Japanese Red Cross Society Himeji Hospital. Active in conflict and disaster situations.

Tomoko Kusama (81)
Registered nurse. Professor Emeritus of Tokyo Healthcare University and of Oita University of Nursing and Health Sciences. Active in the areas of public health and nursing education.

Setsuko Imamura (98)
Registered nurse. Director of "Setsueikai", a Foundation providing scholarships to nursing students who wish to develop their career in higher education. Active in the areas of public health and nursing education.
Full list at Florence Nightingale Medal - 2023 recipients | ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross)

Empress Attends Nightingale Medal Award Ceremony in Tokyo - The Japan News

Last edited:
On July 30th, Imperial family attended Meiji-Tenno-reisai (annual memorial for Emperor Meiji’s death) at the Imperial Palace Sanctuaries in Tokyo and the mausoleum in Kyoto. Emperor Naruhito attended, Empress Masako worshipped privately from the Imperial residence per Sankei.

Princess Akiko attended the memorial ceremony at Fushimi Momoyama Mausoleum in Kyoto.

Video: Princess Kako of Akishino and Princess Yohko of Mikasa entering the Imperial Palace.

Princess Kako arrival photos:

Princess Akiko in Kyoto

Last edited:
The election of Imperial family members to the Imperial House Council will be held on September 7.

Excluding Emperor Naruhito and Emperor Emeritus Akihito, 14 adult Imperial family members are eligible to vote for 2 members and 2 reserve members. This will be Princess Aiko's first time voting.

Currently, Crown Prince Akishino and Princess Hanako are members with Crown Princess Kiko and Princess Yuriko as reserve members.

The new 4-year term will begin September 16. The council last met in December 2017 to determine then-Emperor Akihito's abdication date.

Sources: NTV, TBS, FNN

-----

The autumn garden party will be held on November 2 with infection prevention measures, similar to spring's event.
- no food or alcohol
- number of attendees reduced by about half
- face masks "under consideration"

The Imperial Household Agency aims to avoid spring garden party difficulties, by making contingency plans for poor weather and long wait times.

Source: NTV, Sankei

=====

ETA: I hope Princess Hisako or Princess Akiko gets elected to the Imperial House Council, even as reserve members.

:previous: The election of Imperial family members to the Imperial House Council will be held on September 7 at 10am at the Imperial Palace.

Sources say besides voting for the first time, Princess Aiko will serve as a witness, replacing Prince Hitachi who is currently hospitalized for Covid-19 and will be absent.

Sources: FNN, NTV

Oddly, the Asahi Imperial schedule 9/4-10 (paid article) does not list Empress Masako, Princess Aiko, Princess Nobuko or Princess Tsuguko for the election although they are eligible to vote and several media reported Aiko will vote.

Schedule also copied at https://blog.goo.ne.jp/umenohanatiru/c/5d038d272437ce5b3a9f8d129ce2c0b7

ETA: NTV says Princess Aiko will be a witness following precedent as the next highest rank among the Imperial family after the Empress, Empress Emerita, and Akishino couple.

I'm curious about the rank/precedent for the election witness... so Prince Hitachi outranks Princess Aiko if he attended. Why can't Empress, Empress Emerita, Akishino couple or Princess Hanako serve as witnesses? Is it because Masako and Michiko are spouses of Naruhito and Akihito who can't vote? It seems the Akishino couple and Princesses Hanako and Yuriko are excluded as witness because they are currently members or reserve members?

ETA: Prince Hitachi has been a witness at elections since 1979 per Sankei.

ETA: FNN reports Princess Aiko (21) will the first witness in their 20s. Before Prince Hitachi, Prince Mikasa served as witness.

Crown Prince Akishino and Princess Hanako were reelected to the Imperial House Council. The 4-year term ends September 15, 2027.

Crown Princess Kiko and Empress Emerita Michiko were elected as reserve members. This is Michiko's first time being voted into any council role.

Sources/photo: FNN, Sankei, Jiji, FNN2

Imperial family entered the Imperial Palace around 9:30am to vote. Princess Tsuguko did not accompany her mother so Asahi's schedule appears accurate that she did not vote.

NTV shows Akishino couple, Princesses Kako, Hisako, Hanako, Akiko and Yohko arriving.

Last edited:
OMG! Princess Aiko has grown up so so much since her birthday pictures last December!!!!! I know she's almost 22, but she's has suddenly matured in her looks over the past year!

https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/582693

This also makes me realise that I am getting old!

On the evening of September 7th, the Imperial Household Agency reported updates after the election results.

Empress Emerita Michiko has declined to be reserve member, citing the risk of misunderstanding that she might reflect the will of the Emperor Emeritus who abdicated. This is the first time someone has declined after being elected.

100 year old Princess Yuriko, who received the most votes after Michiko, also declined citing her age.

There was a 3-way tie after Yuriko. The agency will hold a lottery at a later date to determine the other reserve member among the 3 runners-up, who were not identified.

Sources: Sankei, TV-Asahi, NHK, NTV

ETA: Princess Yuriko was a little tired from the heat and decided not to attend the election per Asahi.

It seems voting must happen in-person. Nothing has been mentioned about any absentee voting system.

10 family members voted from the 14 eligible to vote. Prince Hitachi, Princesses Yuriko, Nobuko and Tsuguko were absent and I assume, did not vote.

Prince Hitachi and Princess Hisako might be in the 3 runners up. Except for the 2019-2023 term, Prince Hitachi has been either a member or reserve member since 1987. Princess Nobuko is doubtful given the estrangement from her daughters/family. She lacks 2-3 votes automatically. I assume Empress Masako is not a runner up due to her health condition. Family members may not want to burden her. Princess Aiko recently came of age and is probably too inexperienced and young.

ETA: actually, perhaps only 9 people voted.

Empress Emerita Michiko didn't vote in 2019 election, also citing risk of misunderstanding she reflects the will of the Emperor Emeritus Akihito. 12 family members, including Empress Masako, voted on September 4, 2019 according to NTV.

Michiko may have declined to vote in 2023.

Last edited:
A lottery to determine the 2nd reserve member of the Imperial House Council was held on September 13 at 1pm. Princess Aiko served as witness again.

Princess Hisako won the lottery among the 3 runners-up. Unless she declines by midnight September 17, she will be a reserve member.

For those who were absent due to official business, the grand steward of the Imperial Household Agency drew the lottery on their behalf. (NTV mentions "official business" but other sources simply say the other 2 runners-up were absent)

Sources: NTV, FNN, Sankei, TBS

Regarding the election process of Imperial family to Imperial House Council, Imperial Household commentator and former Imperial Household Agency employee Shinji Yamashita told TV-Asahi that "each person [eligible to vote] will write the names of 4 people and put them in the ballot box."

On September 7th, Crown Prince Akishino and Princess Hanako were reelected as members with Crown Princess Kiko and Empress Emerita Michiko elected as reserve members. Michiko declined due to risk of misunderstanding she reflects Emperor Emeritus Akihito’s will. The next runner-up Princess Yuriko declined due to advanced age. Princess Hisako and 2 others were tied after Yuriko.

Last edited:
What are the responsibilities/tasks of the Imperial House Council?

Edit: I assume this is about the Imperial Household Council - which includes 10 members in total, among which 2 members of the Imperial family (which apparently if needed can be replaced by the two 'reserves').

The current members (until 16 September?) are:
Fumihito, Crown Prince Akishino
Hanako, Princess Hitachi
Yuriko, Princess Mikasa
Kiko, Princess Akishino

So, they elected the same members as the previous time with the exception of Yuriko. In her place the emerita empress was elected, however, she ended up declining, resulting in them ending up at Yuriko again, who also declined (because of age: she turned 100 this year, so good for her!). Princess Hisako seems an excellent replacement for princess Yuriko.

It's pretty telling that the current emperor was never a full member of the Council but only a reserve member for three terms before he was voted out. This will be Fumihito's third term as a full member after two terms as a reserve member. It will also be Kiko's third term (all as a reserve member). It will be Hinako's sixt term (5th as a full member; she served one term is a reserve).

Last edited:
:previous: yes, that's correct. The IHA translates as Imperial House Council
Mandate of the Council
1 Change in the order of succession to the Imperial Throne (Imperial House Law, Article 3)
2 Institution of the Empress and the marriage of any male Member of the Imperial Family (Imperial House Law, Article 10)
3 Loss of status of an Imperial Family Member (Imperial House Law, Articles 11, 13, and 14)
4 Establishment and abolition of a Regency (Imperial House Law, Articles 16 and 20)
5 Change of the order of assumption of Regency (Imperial House Law, Article 18)
The council does not meet often but it's notable who is elected or not elected. It does appear the Imperial family "gave up" on Naruhito by 2003. He was unable to garner enough votes for even 2nd reserve member. I expect Prince Hisahito will be elected eventually.

Michiko was a surprise this time and I wonder about Yuriko's high placement over others. Of course, I wish her good health and longevity but the family's confidence in her for another 4-year term? Perhaps it was more voting against someone than for Yuriko or a coincidence? Like they don't have strong preferences from the remaining family members and ended up with Yuriko.

TV-Asahi reports Princess Aiko (as witness) and Princess Hisako attended the lottery. The other 2 runners-up were absent and IHA did not identify them. I still suspect Princess Akiko was a runners-up.

Last edited:
On evening of September 20th, Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako and Princess Aiko visited Japan Kogei Association's 70th Traditional Crafts Exhibition at Nihonbashi Mitsukoshi Main Store in Tokyo. As patron of the association, Princess Kako guided the family through the works.

The emperor's family asked Kako about her selection (lacquerware box) for the President's Award and what she appreciated about her role.

Photos: AP Images, FNN, Sankei

Last edited:
On October 27th, Princesses Akiko, Yōko, Hisako and Tsuguko attended the annual memorial ceremony for Prince Mikasa at Toshimaoka Cemetery in Bunkyo, Tokyo, on the occasion of the 7th anniversary of his death.

Princess Yuriko did not participate due to tiredness caused by the weather. Princess Akiko acted as the family's head.

Sources/Photos: Photobank Mainichi, Photobank Mainichi 2, Photobank Mainichi 3, Photobank Mainichi 4

Last edited:
Crown Prince Akishino, Crown Princess Kiko and Princesses Hanako, Akiko, Yōko, Hisako and Tsuguko will attend the autumn garden party on November 2nd.

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako are not listed to attend, although I think their participation is certain, being the hosts. Princess Nobuko has some events on the same day and therefore will not be able to attend. Princess Hanako was a surprise: I am happy that she will attend and she seems much healthier than a year or more ago.

Source: Asahi Imperial Schedule October 30th-November 5th (copied at: Blog.goo.ne.jp)

Thanks MarieAmelie_95! The Imperial Household Agency should have reported Emperor Naruhito's attendance for the autumn garden party at least. Maybe they're waiting on Empress Masako but in the past, the agency has announced events only for the emperor and Masako joins on the event date.

It's awkward the Emperor's family has "nothing official" for this week. Emperor Naruhito also has the Order of Culture Award Ceremony on November 3.

Princess Hanako attended the spring garden party so I assumed she'd attend in autumn.

Learning from spring garden party's weather issues, the IHA will cancel the autumn garden party if thunderstorms or poor weather occurs. Guests will be notified via phone on November 2 after 10:30am and information updated on IHA website. The Grand Steward will decide whether to cancel or proceed. If poor weather happens during the garden party, it will be canceled and Imperial family will be evacuated by car or to Akasaka East residence. Guests will either evacuate by car or walk to the nearest station.

Source: Asahi

On November 2nd, Imperial family members attended the autumn garden party at the gardens of Akasaka Estate in Tokyo. Princess Hanako attended the beginning and departed before the receiving line. The event remains scaled-down from pre-pandemic guest numbers and refreshments limited to soft drinks. No food or alcohol. Guests interacting with the Imperial family were asked to cooperate by wearing face masks.

Photos: Mainichi, Getty Images, AP Images, Chunichi, Nikkansports, AFPBB

Early videos: I expect full version to surface later :)

Longer video of autumn garden party on November 2. Seems the receiving line was shorter this time. Princesses Hisako and Tsuguko got delayed and were frantically bowing towards the end to finish greetings.
ETA: gallery of Imperial women's outfits https://8760.news-postseven.com/103921/2

The Page's video of the autumn garden party on November 2. Skipped the opening ceremony and guest interviews.

Emperor Naruhito, Emeritus couple, Crown Prince Akishino couple and Princess Kako will attend the Imperial Palace Police Band's 70th anniversary concert on November 20. Empress Masako's participation depends on her health.

On November 17th, Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako met President Sadyr Japarov and First Lady Aigul Japarova of Kyrgyzstan at the Imperial Palace and hosted a luncheon for the first time since the pandemic. The audience lasted about 20 minutes with a Russian interpreter. His Majesty and the President spoke about similarities between the countries and water issues. Her Majesty discussed the First Lady's efforts to improve the lives of women and children.

Luncheon was limited to 14 people to prevent infection with only the Crown Prince Akishino couple joining from the Imperial family. At the suggestion of Their Majesties, Japanese dishes, such as "temari sushi" as appetizers, were served for the first time at the mainly Western cuisine luncheon.

Photos/info: AP Images, Mainichi, FNN, Sankei

https://www.instagram.com/p/Czu3IlsoguC/?img_index=1
https://www.instagram.com/p/CzvIPxdoRXV/?img_index=1

Last edited:
Today, November 20, the Imperial Family attended a concert by the Imperial Guard Music Band at the Imperial Palace marking the band's 70th anniversary:

** gettyimages gallery **

The Page's video of the autumn garden party on November 2. Skipped the opening ceremony and guest interviews.

Thank you for uploading!

I like how all the women wear creme and covered colours for not to upstage the Royals!

On November 28th, Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako met President Võ Văn Thưởng of Vietnam and his wife Phan Thị Thanh Tâm at the Imperial Palace for about 25 minutes and hosted a luncheon.

The Crown Prince Akishino couple attended the luncheon which was limited to 14 people at the table in the Rensui (small dining hall). Japanese sake accompanied Japanese appetizers such as oshizushi (press sushi).

Photos: AFPBB, AP Images, Getty Images

https://www.vietnamplus.vn/chu-tich...kien-nha-vua-nhat-ban-naruhito-post910416.vnp

https://8760.news-postseven.com/104928?IMAGE=2&PAGE=12-12
-----

TV Tokyo compilation video of Kyrgyzstan and Vietnam luncheon and audiences.

Source: https://txbiz.tv-tokyo.co.jp/txn/kaisetsu/post_286578

Menu and music for Kyrgyzstan luncheon on November 17

- Japanese-style hors d'oeuvre (steamed shrimp and scallop sushi)
- autumn consommé soup
- chicken thigh, mustard sauce
- seasonal salad
- fruits and mont blanc
- apple juice

1. Bach "Aria"
2. "Change" (Gagaku)
3. Kosma "Autumn Leaves"
4. "Momiji" (Japanese nursery rhyme)
5. J. Strauss II "Artist's Life" (Künstlerleben)
6. "Winter scenery"
7. Fain "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing"
8. Anderson "Syncopated Clock"

Menu and music for Vietnam luncheon on November 28

- Japanese appetizers
- sumashi (Japanese clear soup)
- stewed beef thigh
- salad
- fruits/Frozen desserts
- drinks: Sake, Chassagne-Montrachet 1999, Chateau Margaux 1994

1. Bach "Aria"
2. "Nukizu" (Gagaku)
3. Kosma "Autumn Leaves"
4. “Momiji” (Japanese nursery rhyme)
5. Josef Strauss "Sphärenklänge"
6. "Winter scenery"
7. Fain "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing"
8. Francois/Revaux "My Way"
9. "Change" (Gagaku)

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako will hold a tea party at the Imperial Palace on December 18 for heads of state and their spouses attending the 50th Anniversary Summit of ASEAN-Japan Friendship and Cooperation. Crown Prince Akishino couple will also attend.

Source: NTV

I hope other Imperial family members are allowed to attend.

-----

2024 New Year general public greetings (January 2) will be held without lottery, nearly returning to pre-pandemic scale.

5 sessions: 3 morning, 2 afternoon
~20,000 visitor cap per session to avoid overcrowding
more sessions may be added if turnout is high

Source: TBS

-----

Utakai Hajime no Gi (Imperial New Year's Poetry Reading) will be held January 19.

- except for poetry singers, others will not be required to wear masks
- acrylic boards around the singers will not be used
- number of attendees remains reduced to maintain some distance and ventilation

Back
Top Bottom