Imperial Family of Japan Current Events 2: June 2008 - April 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kazaoka becomes new chief aid to emperor
Noriyuki Kazaoka, 65, became the new Grand Steward of the Imperial Household Agency at an attestation ceremony on Friday at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, succeeding Shingo Haketa, 70, who retired. Kazaoka, who served as the vice-grand steward since April 2005, will tackle such issues as reducing the duties of Emperor Akihito, who underwent heart surgery earlier this year, and dealing with proposals for creating imperial families led by female members. Shinichiro Yamamoto, 61, former administrative vice minister of the Cabinet Office, succeeded Kazaoka as the deputy chief of the agency.
June 01, 2012(Mainichi Japan)

300-member Belgian economic mission to visit Japan in mid-June
A Belgian economic mission of around 300 businesspeople and academics representing over 125 firms and universities will visit Japan from June 10 to 16 to promote bilateral business ties and technological development, the Belgian Embassy in Tokyo said Thursday. The mission, led by Belgian Crown Prince Philippe and accompanied by Didier Reynders, deputy prime minister and minister for foreign affairs, foreign trade, and European affairs, among other ministers, will be the largest such Belgian mission to Japan, the embassy said. [...]

Crown Prince Philippe's visit, on which he will be accompanied by Crown Princess Mathilde, will be his first to Japan since 2005 when he attended the World Exposition in Aichi Prefecture. The royal couple is scheduled to meet members of the Japanese imperial family during the visit.
June 01, 2012(Mainichi Japan)

Prince Tomohito receives blood transfusion, family visits hospital
Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, a cousin of Emperor Akihito, received a blood transfusion last Friday after undergoing throat cancer-related surgeries earlier this year, sources close to the Imperial Household Agency said Monday. The 66-year-old prince has been hospitalized in Tokyo since December and underwent his 16th cancer-related surgery in March. He remained conscious as of Sunday, the sources said.

On Sunday, his 96-year-old father Prince Mikasa and mother Princess Yuriko, 89, visited the hospital along with Prince Tomohito's 28-year-old second daughter Princess Yoko.
June 05, 2012(Mainichi Japan)

Princess Akiko hastens return to Japan, in view of father's health
Princess Akiko will cut short her trip to Europe and return to Japan as early as Wednesday due to the worsening health of her father Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, a cousin of Emperor Akihito, Imperial Household Agency sources said Tuesday. The 30-year-old princess, who was initially set to return Friday, has decided on the early return after the 66-year-old prince vomited blood late last week at his hospital in Tokyo, apparently due to bleeding in his throat. [...]

Princess Akiko, the eldest daughter of the prince, left Japan for Germany last Wednesday to conduct research on Japanese art. She then traveled to Poland and had been staying in Warsaw, where she made a presentation at an international symposium Monday about the Japanese art collection at the British Museum.
June 05, 2012(Mainichi Japan)

Thanks for the updates!
I am looking forward to seeing Belgian Crown Princely couple meeting members of the Japanese Imperial family.

There goes another of the few male members of the imperial family...

Japan emperor's cousin Prince Tomohito dies at 66

Japan's imperial palace says Prince Tomohito, a cousin of Emperor Akihito, has died after bouts with various ailments. He was 66. Tomohito died Wednesday at a Tokyo hospital. The Imperial Household Agency did not give a cause for his death, but he had battled several illnesses, including throat cancer.
CBS June 06, 2012 07:53 GMT

Prince Tomohito, Japanese emperor’s cousin, dies at 66 after bouts with various ailments
Prince Tomohito, a cousin of Japanese Emperor Akihito, died Wednesday after bouts with various ailments, the Imperial Household Agency said. [...] The Imperial Household Agency did not give a cause of death, but Tomohito had battled several illnesses, including throat cancer. He had undergone several cancer-related operations since 1991 and was treated for alcoholism in 2007. Tomohito was the eldest son of Prince Mikasa and Princess Yuriko. Mikasa is the younger brother of Hirohito, the wartime emperor and father of Akihito.
Washington Post, Wednesday, June 6, 10:18 AM

Prince Tomohito passes away from organ failure
At 3:35 PM on Wednesday, Prince Tomohito of Mikasa passed away in a Chiyoda Ward hospital in Tokyo. The cousin of Emperor Akihito, 66 year old Prince Tomohito had long suffered from a struggle with alcoholism, and his official cause of death is being reported as multiple organ failure, specifically of the liver. [...]

His daughter, Princess Akiko, was notified earlier today. Currently researching art in Europe, the princess immediately cut her trip short to come be with her father. She was told that her father had been vomiting blood since late last week, due to complications in his throat. As the first member in the Imperial House of Japan to grow a full beard since the Meiji Emperor, Prince Tomohito was affectionately given the nickname of the “bearded prince” by the public. It is still unknown if Princess Akiko was able to make it back to Tokyo in time to be with her father.
The Japan Daily Press, June 6, 2012

Princess Akiko makes early return home in view of father's health
Princess Akiko returned to Japan from Poland on Wednesday after cutting short her trip to Europe due to the worsening health of her father Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, a cousin of Emperor Akihito. [...]

The doctor in charge of the prince said Tuesday night that the prince's level of consciousness has been falling, though the situation remains fluid after bleeding inside his mouth following a string of throat cancer-related operations. He added that "lowering of kidney functions has become a primary concern" and that doctors are continuing to monitor the situation.
June 06, 2012(Mainichi Japan)

The following article, published but five hours ago, is imo a striking example of an attempt to downplay the seriousness of the situation and to keep the public in the dark. Maybe the increase in openness concerning health issues of the imperial family (Emperor's care process grows more open) has, after all, not been so remarkable as some thought... :whistling:

Gov't provides official statement on prince's health
The Imperial Household Agency said Tuesday that doctors in charge of Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, a cousin of Emperor Akihito, are working to stabilize his condition after bleeding took place inside his mouth on Friday following a string of throat cancer-related surgeries. As the first official statement on the 66-year-old prince's condition, Vice Grand Steward Shinichiro Yamamoto said at a news conference that the doctors "applied appropriate medical treatments immediately after bleeding took place inside his mouth on Friday afternoon."

"At present, the prince is conscious and they (the doctors) are working to stabilize his condition," Yamamoto said. The bleeding "was not of a large scale and we do not have detailed knowledge concerning its reasons. I hear that the blood was not from the esophagus or other organs," he said. Reporters covering imperial matters asked him to provide more details, but Yamamoto said, "The chief physician will provide explanations when it's necessary to do so."
June 06, 2012(Mainichi Japan)

Last edited:
Do they have such a thing as "court mourning" in Japan where the entire family goes into mourning, wearing black and perhaps withdrawing behind palace walls for a period of time when a member of the Imperial Family dies? I would imagine the mourning period would vary depending on the seniority of the family member, an Imperial cousin vs an Emperor or Imperial son?

Very, very sad news! Parents burying second child!:sad::sad:

RIP, Tomohito!

Condolences to his wife and daughters.

My condolences to Prince Mikasa and Princess Mikasa, Princess Tomohito, and Princesses Akiko and Yoko.
So sad Prince Tomohito lost his 20-year battle with cancer. :sad:

Prince and Princess Mikasa must have suffered a lot because of their sons´ destinies. Their youngest died of a sudden heart attack when he was but 47, the middle one suffered a series of strokes at age 41 and has been paralyzed from the waist down ever since, and now the oldest has died, too, rather prematurely. But while Prince Takamado´s death came completely unexpected, I suppose that, regarding Prince Tomohito, the family, at least, knew that he would not live many years more. Besides, it cannot have been a very happy life lately, having to remain in hospital all the time...

Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko visit the residence of Prince Tomohito for mourning.

Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, 66, dies
Prince Tomohito, nicknamed "the Bearded Prince," described his fight against cancer in his book "Gan wo Kataru" ("Talking about Cancer") published in 1991. He also served in various honorary positions, including as president of the Social Welfare Organization Saiseikai Imperial Gift Foundation.

The outspoken prince often caused a public stir with his straightforward remarks. In 1982, he said he wanted to renounce his Imperial status to "devote myself to social activities." In November 2005, the prince expressed opposition to a government expert panel's proposal that the Diet revise the law to allow a female-line member of the Imperial family to ascend the throne. Prince Tomohito argued the idea goes against the long-held tradition of the male-line Imperial succession. Expressing any opinions on a political matter to be decided by the Diet is very rare for an Imperial family member.

In 2007, the prince made public that he was suffering from and was fighting alcoholism. In 2008, he lost his voice due to a cancer-related surgical operation. Even so, he practiced making speeches in English by using an artificial larynx device that generates sounds.
Japan Times, Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Outspoken Japan Prince Tomohito Dies
The grizzled, goateed prince grabbed headlines when he publicly admitted his problems with alcoholism: “I’m Prince Tomohito, the alcoholic,” he said, mimicking the self-introducing mantra of Alcoholics Anonymous, during a lecture in northern Japan in 2007. He continued to talk openly about his condition, considered a taboo subject in Japan, discussing it candidly during multiple press interviews. He said that it began as a teenager, but intensified later as problems arose within the imperial family, according to media reports at the time. His dependency was a ongoing struggle. In 2009, he was hospitalized for alcoholism five times within a six month period.

More than his alcoholism, the prince caused a stir for his fervent stance against allowing a female monarchy. [...] “The question is whether it is the right thing to change our unique tradition and history so easily,” Akihito’s cousin, Prince Tomohito, wrote in the private essay distributed to palace officials in the fall of 2005, according to local media reports at the time. “Using concubines, like we used to, is one option. I’m all for it, but this might be a little difficult considering the social climate in and outside the country.” He said concubines would increase the chances of producing a male heir—and was a successful method in the past. He also suggested bringing back former branches of the royal family that were abolished after World War II.

During the prince’s life, he was on the organizing committee for the Sapporo Winter Olympics from 1970-1972. He also served as the honorary head of several social welfare organizations as well as of the Princess Takamatsu Cancer Research Fund.
The Wall Street Journal Japan, June 6, 2012, 6:50 PM JST

Do they have such a thing as "court mourning" in Japan where the entire family goes into mourning, wearing black and perhaps withdrawing behind palace walls for a period of time when a member of the Imperial Family dies? I would imagine the mourning period would vary depending on the seniority of the family member, an Imperial cousin vs an Emperor or Imperial son?
Not that I know of it. As death is taboo in Shinto (one is rendered spiritually unclean by contact with death/dying), maybe the emperor and other imperial family members will be unable to conduct Shinto rites for some time. But as those rites are considered a private matter, we may in most cases never hear about them anyway, whether they take place or not.

I think, though, that in Shinto there are anniversary ceremonies of the dying day of a person. Besides, in Shinto ancestors are highly revered. I do not know for sure but I suppose that Princess Tomohito and her daughters will have a home shrine where they will offer food, drink and fresh flowers.

:previous:
I have to correct myself. According to the following article, there are periods of mourning, depending on how closely related the family members are to Prince Tomohito.

Mourners sign books in tribute to late prince
On Thursday, the day after Prince Tomohito of Mikasa died, many mourners gathered to sign condolence books at his residence in Moto-Akasaka, Tokyo. [...]

The Emperor and the other members of the Imperial family entered a period of mourning Wednesday, following the death of the prince. Prince Tomohito's wife Princess Nobuko and their two daughters, Princess Akiko and Princess Yoko, will mourn for 90 days. The prince's parents, Prince and Princess Mikasa, and his brother Prince Katsura will mourn for 30 days.

The Emperor, the Empress, Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako, Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko, Prince and Princess Hitachi and Princess Hisako of Takamado will mourn for five days. Princess Hisako's three daughters--Princesses Tsuguko, Noriko and Ayako--will mourn for seven days.

I think, though, that in Shinto there are anniversary ceremonies of the dying day of a person. Besides, in Shinto ancestors are highly revered. I do not know for sure but I suppose that Princess Tomohito and her daughters will have a home shrine where they will offer food, drink and fresh flowers.

The home shrines in people's homes are Buddhist not Shinto. Food and drink are offerings that are made according to Buddhist tradition and these are the offerings you will see in Japanese cemeteries.

Japanese are quite open with their religious practices. The Shinto religion is very much about your current life. Living a good life. Buddhism is about having a good afterlife. So Japanese people pray at a Shinto shrine at New Years to have a good year, marry at a Shinto shrine, have their babies blessed at a Shinto shrine. But have their funerals at a Buddhist temple, for a good afterlife, also the commemorations of a relatives' death.

:previous:
I have to correct myself. According to the following article, there are periods of mourning, depending on how closely related the family members are to Prince Tomohito.

Mourners sign books in tribute to late prince

I wasn't aware of different mourning periods depending on how closely a person is related to the deceased.
Is that the standard for the Japanese people in general, or the Imperial family has different traditions?

When the funeral will take place?

I wasn't aware of different mourning periods depending on how closely a person is related to the deceased.
Is that the standard for the Japanese people in general, or the Imperial family has different traditions?

Yes, it is the standard in general.

Not that I know of it. As death is taboo in Shinto (one is rendered spiritually unclean by contact with death/dying), maybe the emperor and other imperial family members will be unable to conduct Shinto rites for some time. But as those rites are considered a private matter, we may in most cases never hear about them anyway, whether they take place or not.

Nobuko, the Princess Tomohito came from a Catholic family.

Yes, it is the standard in general.
Thank you!
Here in Armenia we have much shorter mourning period; seven days even for the closest relatives. 40th day (after death) is also commemorated by friends and family.

Thank you!
Here in Armenia we have much shorter mourning period; seven days even for the closest relatives. 40th day (after death) is also commemorated by friends and family.

The members of the imperial family are going to mourn for 5 - 90days.

Imperial family members on their way to Prince Tomohito´s residence

Prince Tomohito's funeral to be held next Thursday at Tokyo cemetery

The Imperial Household Agency said Thursday it will hold funeral services next Thursday at a Tokyo cemetery for Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, a cousin of Emperor Akihito, who died Wednesday at age 66. The ceremony, called the renso-no-gi rite, will be held at Toshimagaoka cemetery in Tokyo's Bunkyo Ward, with Princess Akiko, the prince's 30-year-old eldest daughter who returned to Japan Wednesday after cutting short her trip to Europe, serving as the chief mourner, the agency said.

The funeral will be a simple one, agency officials said, noting that Prince Tomohito had hoped for his funeral to be simplified as the country is currently working on rebuilding areas devastated by the March 11, 2011, earthquake and tsunami disaster.
June 08, 2012(Mainichi Japan)

I think it is interesting that the eldest daughter is the chief mourner here. I am absolutely no expert on funerals, but in Europe, would not be the wife the "first mourner", so to speak?

Nobuko, the Princess Tomohito came from a Catholic family.

But would that mean that she would or could refuse to take part in Shinto rites? After all, she has married into the imperial family who are supposed to be THE representatives of Shinto, "Shinto incarnate", so to speak, ever since the Meiji Restoration.

So would not it be Princess Nobuko´s duty to have a Shinto Shrine for her husband? Or is she free to do whatever she likes in private? Even to regularly hear the mass and go to confession? Would not that be a bit odd for a Shinto princess? :confused:

But would that mean that she would or could refuse to take part in Shinto rites? After all, she has married into the imperial family who are supposed to be THE representatives of Shinto, "Shinto incarnate", so to speak, ever since the Meiji Restoration.

So would not it be Princess Nobuko´s duty to have a Shinto Shrine for her husband? Or is she free to do whatever she likes in private? Even to regularly hear the mass and go to confession? Would not that be a bit odd for a Shinto princess? :confused:

Princess's people are Catholic but she may have had to renounce her faith before/upon her marriage. It is not known that she goes to mass but her brother is a regular worshipper. Having said that, the Roman Catholic Church allows the Japanese Catholics to visit the Shinto shrines because they regard it as non-religion that it may not matter to the family. The Imperial Family's religious activities are kept very private because the state does not pay for their Shinto activities.

Talking about the Princess, she is not well either.

Princess's people are Catholic but she may have had to renounce her faith before/upon her marriage.
That means it is not even publicly known if she had to renounce her faith or not? :huh:
That is very interesting indeed. As you probably know, in Europe many royal brides have in the past been obliged to convert to the faith of their future husbands´, and this was sometimes a huge problem (a famous example would be Alix of Hesse). In some cases a marriage did not take place for such reasons, sometimes the bride was allowed to keep her faith if she consented to raise her children in the faith of her husband etc. But whatever happened, it was always publicly known because it was considered a very important matter. Even today, I am rather sure that it is known about all European royals to which faith they belong. I am very amazed to hear that, for Japanese royals, this is a private matter.

Talking about the Princess, she is not well either.
Do you mean to say that she has something serious? I hope she is not suffering from cancer, too. :ermm:

The emperor and empress have visited the residence of the late Prince Tomohito, prior to the start of a two-day wake in the Akasaka Imperial Compound in Tokyo in Tokyo on June 12, 2012. The imperial couple will not attend his funeral, scheduled on Thursday, June 14 at the Toshimagaoka Imperial cemetery in Tokyo, in accordance with imperial custom.

The crown prince and princess attend the wake.

Princess Akiko at the wake

Last edited:
That means it is not even publicly known if she had to renounce her faith or not? :huh:
That is very interesting indeed. As you probably know, in Europe many royal brides have in the past been obliged to convert to the faith of their future husbands´, and this was sometimes a huge problem (a famous example would be Alix of Hesse). In some cases a marriage did not take place for such reasons, sometimes the bride was allowed to keep her faith if she consented to raise her children in the faith of her husband etc. But whatever happened, it was always publicly known because it was considered a very important matter. Even today, I am rather sure that it is known about all European royals to which faith they belong. I am very amazed to hear that, for Japanese royals, this is a private matter.

Do you mean to say that she has something serious? I hope she is not suffering from cancer, too. :ermm:

Princess has been suffering from broncial asthma since 2008 that she has been in and out of hospital.

Shintoism is not a religion in a strict sense but is more like a nature and ancestror worship very similar to the Greek and Roman mythologies that there is no code or doctrine to follow. So, accoding to the Vatican, the Catholics are allowed to go to places such as the Yasukuni Jinja. Noone knows if Empress Michiko's faith because she, too, comes from a Catholic family. Princess Takamado's people are supposed to be Anglicans, so I read somehwhere before. It's just so mysterious. Prince Akishino visited Sennyoji (Buddhist temple) recently because there are so many emperors being buried at the temple's ground. After the demise of the Emperor Taisho, the Empress Teimei said prayers from the Lotus Sutra (Kannonkyou) after she worshiped in from of the photograph of her late husband. Shintoism is a pantheic tradition that it may not matter if a person has a specific religious affinity. That may be why some Japanese people may choose to marry at a shinto shrine or a Christian church but may be happy to be sent off by the rite of Buddhism.

I read about Alix of Hesse: it sounded very difficult for her to convert into Russian Orthodox faith from German Lutheran religion. Had she married into the Japanese Imperial Family, she might have been welcomed into the shintoism without conversion because in the world of shintoism, there is no conversion takes place. LOL

Last edited:
More photos of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako
1 (Left of the crown prince there is Princess Mako.)
(See also this post.)

Sayako Kuroda

Prince Tomohito's funeral held at Tokyo cemetery
The main funeral service for Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, a cousin of Emperor Akihito, took place Thursday morning at a Tokyo cemetery following his recent death at age 66. The ceremony, called the renso-no-gi, started at Toshimagaoka cemetery in Tokyo's Bunkyo Ward. Due partly to the late prince's wish, his eldest daughter Princess Akiko served as the chief mourner at the funeral, which drew about 660 dignitaries including members of the imperial family and Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda.

In line with custom, the emperor and Empress Michiko did not attend the funeral but sent messengers including the grand steward of the Imperial Household Agency. A hearse carrying the prince's body departed his home in Tokyo's Akasaka district for a journey of about 10.4 kilometers to the cemetery, with the route passing near the Imperial Palace.

The prince's body will be cremated in Shinjuku Ward and his ashes interred in a stone chamber diagonally across from the final resting place of his younger brother, Prince Takamado, who died in 2002.
June 14, 2012(Mainichi Japan)

Prince's funeral, grave to cost govt 189 mil. yen
The government decided Tuesday to spend about 189 million yen for the funeral and grave of Prince Tomohito of Mikasa [...] The overall spending of 189 million yen will be almost the same as that for the prince's youngest brother, Prince Takamado, who died in 2002 at age 47.
The Daily Yomiuri (Jun. 13, 2012)

Last edited:
Very moving pictures. Why do the emperor and empress not attend? I understand that it is the tradition but what is the reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom