The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Majesty

Thanks for the updates!

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko were the focal point of the annual photo session.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Some details for 2017 per Jiji and Yomiuri:
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko’s first official visit to Vietnam in late February or early March. Various reports of 5-7 day visit.
They are scheduled to attend the National Planting Festival in May (Toyama Prefecture), National Sports Festival in September (Ehime Prefecture), and National Rich Sea Creation Competition in October (Fukuoka Prefecture).

CP Naruhito will represent the Emperor at the Asia Winter Games in Hokkaido in February. Other scheduled events include “High School General” in Yamagata Prefecture in July and “National Cultural Festival” in Nara Prefecture in September.
A visit to Denmark is being considered as he is the honorary president of the 150th anniversary of Japan-Denmark diplomatic relations.

The translation of this Sankei report says the Mikasa and Takamado families "can refrain from attending" the January 2nd general public greeting due to Prince Mikasa's death.

ETA: NHK seems more sure about CP Naruhito visiting Denmark and Malaysia (60th anniversary of diplomatic relations). If Masako accompanies him on either trip, it will be her first foreign official visit in 15 years. Naruhito will visit 7 prefectures for annual events.
Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko will officially visit Chile in the autumn.
The Imperial couple may visit Thailand for the funeral of late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
There appears to be an expectation of a Spanish state visit to Japan in 2017.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent

New Year reception. Less sparkle this year as the Mikasa and Takamado families did not attend.

Event list for January 1st.
(Google translation)

CP family arrival:
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/photo/20170...T1I50007-L.jpg
http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/s/article/...0101000950.jpg

A few reception photos:
http://static.sanyonews.jp/image/box...30e4e89397.jpg
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/photo/20170...T1I50008-L.jpg

ETA: Asahi gallery

Old 01-01-2017, 06:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for all the updates, Prisma!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately the video above is geo-blocked and can't be watched in all countries.

I wonder if it was a strategic decision that the Mikasa and Takamado Princesses did not attend. The court might have decided to remove the junior branches of the family from the focus. If so, it's a really a pity, since it was always a pleasure to see the extended family attend these formal events.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Majesty

shame indeed that the smaller branches are not attending this year, and presumably that will continue from now onwards. it really was pleasant to see the complete family at this event.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Majesty

Thanks for the photos and links!
It is unfortunate that Princesses from the Mikasa and the Takamado families were not in attendance. Princess Hitachi's tiara is airy elegant.
I wonder if and when Crown Princess Masako will start attending the New Year reception.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Courtier

I realize this is the 21st century and all, but I do love to see the Japanese ladies in their traditional dress...
Old 01-01-2017, 06:01 PM
Majesty

It appears that she's there "behind the scenes" but not in the reception line-up. Do they have a private event as well as the reception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

I wonder if and when Crown Princess Masako will start attending the New Year reception.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

There are greetings with the Imperial family, former members, and relatives in the morning. I sincerely hope CP Masako can resume the public New Year’s events someday.

As for the Mikasa and Takamado families’ absence, I think it’s due to Prince Mikasa’s death even though official mourning has passed for most. Unless the IHA is trying to send a message to the government (re-emphasizing the shrinking Imperial house), it already focuses on the monarch and immediate family.

Tilia C., I updated the video link above as ANN removed the original video. If that's not working, maybe try news24.jp or fnn-news videos
Old 01-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
It appears that she's there "behind the scenes" but not in the reception line-up. Do they have a private event as well as the reception?
Crown Princess Masako is to said to attend a more informal champagne reception that follows the formal New Year one. Sooner rather than later she will have to start participating in a formal part.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

General new year's greeting on January 2nd: Asahi, Mainichi galleries

Emperor shares New Year's greetings with well-wishers: The Asahi Shimbun
Emperor Akihito offers New Year's greetings to well-wishers - The Mainichi
Old 01-11-2017, 12:37 AM
Heir Apparent

On January 11th, members of the Imperial family attended New Year's Lectures (Kousho Hajime).
  • Tetsuya Shiokawa, Professor Emeritus at the University of Tokyo, French literature "Can humans live now - Pascal's time theory"
  • Kazuko Masato, Professor Emeritus Waseda University, Political science "Contemporary Chinese Studies - Genealogy and Challenge"
  • Yoshiyuki Sakaki, Professor Emeritus at the University of Tokyo, Genomic Science "Human beings and human society seen from the genome"
Photos/info: Asahi, Sankei, Mainichi

I guess these lectures and next poetry reading are still too celebratory for the Mikasa and Takamado families to attend.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:41 AM
Heir Apparent

New Year's Poetry Reading (Utakai Hajime) on January 13th.
Sources: Asahi, Asahi 2 (more photos and all poems)

Waka Poems by Their Majesties and Their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince and Princess, 2017 - The Imperial Household Agency

New Year poems of emperor, empress reflect 'field' of dreams: The Asahi Shimbun
Old 01-13-2017, 02:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Sooner rather than later she will have to start participating in a formal part.
I seriously doubt she can, though I very much wish to. From these videos I can make out they involve standing/ sitting very stiffly and formally for like forever, with a pleasant expression plastered over.. (and through those poetry readings and lectures OMG). I really wonder how Kiko manages it. Somehow we got used to these things without the CPss, that we dont miss it expect her. Donna what Japanese people think
Old 01-14-2017, 01:06 AM
Heir Apparent

On January 10th, US Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy had a farewell audience with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. Afterwards, she bid farewell to CP Naruhito and CP Masako at Togu Palace. The visit lasted about 30 minutes and the CP couple expressed appreciation for US support after the Great East Japan Earthquake.
Source: JP Reuters, page 3 of Sankei Imperial Weekly #469

On January 7th, members of the Imperial family attended rituals for the anniversary of Emperor Showa's death:
  • Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko, CP Naruhito, Princess Mako, Princess Kako, Princess Hisako, and Princess Ayako at the Imperial Palace.
  • Prince and Princess Akishino represented the family at Musashi Imperial Graveyard.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:02 AM
Heir Apparent

News Navigator: What are the roles of the Imperial Family's female members? - The Mainichi
Old 01-21-2017, 03:20 AM
Heir Apparent

January 17th was the 22nd anniversary of the Great Hanshin Earthquake. Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko observed a moment of silence at the time of occurrence 5:46am at the Imperial Palace. The CP family observed a moment of silence at Togu Palace after Princess Aiko returned from school.

Source: Page 1 of Sankei Imperial Weekly #470
Old 02-04-2017, 12:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Family members attended a ritual on the morning of January 30th at the Imperial Palace:

February 3rd is the 30th anniversary of Prince Takamatsu's death. The Emperor and Empress, CP couple, and Akishino couple sent flowers to the Prince's grave at Toshima Oka cemetry. Since the Takamatsus did not have children to perform rituals, there is no annual ceremony.

Sankei Imperial Weekly #472
Old 02-18-2017, 12:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The AGM on February 6, 2017 featured a presentation by the Crown Prince Naruhito, who gave a thoughtful summation of his recent work on a United Nations committee studying water issues throughout the world. Our Patron, H.I.H. Princess Takamado and her two daughters Their Highnesses Princess Tsuguko and Princess Ayako joined the 150 ASJ members and guests at the Embassy of Mexico for a colorful evening. Official ASJ business and lecture completed, we were treated to an exuberant reception filled with friends new and known and conversation buoyed by the annual Mansaku-no-hana sake donation from Mr. Yamaoka from JUKI Corporation, fine Mexican cuisine and tequila, a musical quartet, and much more. No photos were allowed, so our memories must form the record of this stellar winter's evening.
https://www.facebook.com/asiaticsoci...50129501745925

Closed Thread

Tags
japanese imperial family, japanese royal family