Imperial Family of Japan Current Events 2: June 2008 - April 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
Thanks for the links :flowers:
It is great that all senior members of the Imperial family were in attendance.

Prince Hisahito and Princess Aiko contributed to the private "59th Imperial Household Employee Union Cultural Festival Art Exhibition." Prince Hisahito made a clay and wire model of traffic lights and some paper snowflakes. Princess Aiko exhibited music boxes made in art classes.

Asahi photos of Prince Hisahito's crafts.

ETA: Jiji has a photo of Princess Aiko's other contribution: calligraphy

The December 8-10th exhibition displays works of staff, stakeholders, and Imperial family members. Items include books, photographs, and such. The Akishino family made a miniature of an old private house under the theme of "Old Life." Prince Hisahito came up with the layout and produced the kitchen tools and wells.

According to fnn-news, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko contributed poems and the CP couple exhibited photography of Asahigadake.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
January 2, 2017 New Year Greeting schedule
Visit of the General Public to the Palace for the New Year Greeting - The Imperial Household Agency
Appearances:
First and Second: Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress, Their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince and Crown Princess, and other adult members of the Imperial Family.

Third Appearance onwards: Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress, Their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince and Crown Princess, Their Imperial Highnesses Prince and Princess Akishino, Her Imperial Highness Princess Mako and Her Imperial Highness Princess Kako.

First Appearance: Around 10:10 a.m.
Second Appearance: Around 11:00 a.m.
Third Appearance: Around 11:50 a.m.
Fourth Appearance: Around 1:30 p.m.
Fifth Appearance: Around 2:20 p.m.
More on photos of the Imperial Household Agency Employee Union Cultural Festival, starting at p20 of Sankei Imperial Weekly #464 and onwards.

p20: Empress Michiko, looks like an incense burner?
p21-23: CP couple, photographs of "Nasu Asahi-dake" and "Susaki"
p24: Prince Akishino, "Dong Tao Chicken" figure
p25: Princess Kiko, dishes with leaf impressions
p26: Prince or Princess Hitachi?, song lyrics
p27: Princess Akiko, calligraphy "Lights"
p28: Princess Akiko, "Edo Kiriko's Ten-no Hanabi" (not sure, etching on glass?)
p29: Emperor Akihito, song lyrics
p30: Prince Hisahito, looks like paper snowflakes
p31: Princess Aiko, calligraphy
p32: Prince Hisahito, traffic light model
p33: Empress Michiko, song lyrics
p34: Princess Aiko, 3 crafts (pendant, music box, ornament?)
p35: Akishino family, model of old style home
p36: CP couple, rock formation photo

The IHA announced budget requests of the 2017 fiscal year budget on August 31st.
  • 2 additional nurses to strengthen the night medical system at the Imperial Palace
  • 1 additional staff member for the Akishino household to help take care of Prince Hisahito
  • Maintenance for Kyoto Imperial Palace (Kyoto Goshouchi). The terrain was expanded this year.
Sankei Imperial Weekly #450 page 2

[...]

IHA's requests were approved on December 22nd. 6 additional staff:
  • 2 nurses for the Emperor and Empress
  • 1 for Prince Hisahito
  • 3 for Imperial facilities
Source: Yomiuri

On December 25th, members of the Imperial family attended rituals on the anniversary of Emperor Taisho's death.
  • Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko per Sankei
  • Crown Prince Naruhito
  • Prince Akishino, Princess Kiko, and Princess Mako
  • Princesses Hisako, Tsuguko, and Ayako per Asahi Imperial schedule
CP Naruhito's arrival and departure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6RLn3hL1B0
Prince Akishino, Princess Kiko, and Princess Mako’s arrival and departure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlnFWJRrRYY

Thanks for the updates!:flowers:

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko were the focal point of the annual photo session.

:flowers:

Some details for 2017 per Jiji and Yomiuri:
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko’s first official visit to Vietnam in late February or early March. Various reports of 5-7 day visit.
They are scheduled to attend the National Planting Festival in May (Toyama Prefecture), National Sports Festival in September (Ehime Prefecture), and National Rich Sea Creation Competition in October (Fukuoka Prefecture).

CP Naruhito will represent the Emperor at the Asia Winter Games in Hokkaido in February. Other scheduled events include “High School General” in Yamagata Prefecture in July and “National Cultural Festival” in Nara Prefecture in September.
A visit to Denmark is being considered as he is the honorary president of the 150th anniversary of Japan-Denmark diplomatic relations.

The translation of this Sankei report says the Mikasa and Takamado families "can refrain from attending" the January 2nd general public greeting due to Prince Mikasa's death.

ETA: NHK seems more sure about CP Naruhito visiting Denmark and Malaysia (60th anniversary of diplomatic relations). If Masako accompanies him on either trip, it will be her first foreign official visit in 15 years. Naruhito will visit 7 prefectures for annual events.
Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko will officially visit Chile in the autumn.
The Imperial couple may visit Thailand for the funeral of late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
There appears to be an expectation of a Spanish state visit to Japan in 2017.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the video above is geo-blocked and can't be watched in all countries.

I wonder if it was a strategic decision that the Mikasa and Takamado Princesses did not attend. The court might have decided to remove the junior branches of the family from the focus. If so, it's a really a pity, since it was always a pleasure to see the extended family attend these formal events.

shame indeed that the smaller branches are not attending this year, and presumably that will continue from now onwards. it really was pleasant to see the complete family at this event.

Thanks for the photos and links!:flowers:
It is unfortunate that Princesses from the Mikasa and the Takamado families were not in attendance. Princess Hitachi's tiara is airy elegant.
I wonder if and when Crown Princess Masako will start attending the New Year reception.

Last edited:
I realize this is the 21st century and all, but I do love to see the Japanese ladies in their traditional dress...

It appears that she's there "behind the scenes" but not in the reception line-up. Do they have a private event as well as the reception?

I wonder if and when Crown Princess Masako will start attending the New Year reception.

There are greetings with the Imperial family, former members, and relatives in the morning. I sincerely hope CP Masako can resume the public New Year’s events someday.

As for the Mikasa and Takamado families’ absence, I think it’s due to Prince Mikasa’s death even though official mourning has passed for most. Unless the IHA is trying to send a message to the government (re-emphasizing the shrinking Imperial house), it already focuses on the monarch and immediate family.

Tilia C., I updated the video link above as ANN removed the original video. If that's not working, maybe try news24.jp or fnn-news videos

It appears that she's there "behind the scenes" but not in the reception line-up. Do they have a private event as well as the reception?
Crown Princess Masako is to said to attend a more informal champagne reception that follows the formal New Year one. Sooner rather than later she will have to start participating in a formal part.

Last edited:
On January 11th, members of the Imperial family attended New Year's Lectures (Kousho Hajime).
  • Tetsuya Shiokawa, Professor Emeritus at the University of Tokyo, French literature "Can humans live now - Pascal's time theory"
  • Kazuko Masato, Professor Emeritus Waseda University, Political science "Contemporary Chinese Studies - Genealogy and Challenge"
  • Yoshiyuki Sakaki, Professor Emeritus at the University of Tokyo, Genomic Science "Human beings and human society seen from the genome"
Photos/info: Asahi, Sankei, Mainichi

I guess these lectures and next poetry reading are still too celebratory for the Mikasa and Takamado families to attend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWZTqz4KcH8

Last edited:
Sooner rather than later she will have to start participating in a formal part.

I seriously doubt she can, though I very much wish to. From these videos I can make out they involve standing/ sitting very stiffly and formally for like forever, with a pleasant expression plastered over.. (and through those poetry readings and lectures OMG). I really wonder how Kiko manages it. Somehow we got used to these things without the CPss, that we dont miss it expect her. Donna what Japanese people think

On January 10th, US Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy had a farewell audience with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. Afterwards, she bid farewell to CP Naruhito and CP Masako at Togu Palace. The visit lasted about 30 minutes and the CP couple expressed appreciation for US support after the Great East Japan Earthquake.
Source: JP Reuters, page 3 of Sankei Imperial Weekly #469

On January 7th, members of the Imperial family attended rituals for the anniversary of Emperor Showa's death:
  • Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko, CP Naruhito, Princess Mako, Princess Kako, Princess Hisako, and Princess Ayako at the Imperial Palace.
  • Prince and Princess Akishino represented the family at Musashi Imperial Graveyard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiui_2tU9MU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD2xQAlCj2U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1LwJ2-oKdA

January 17th was the 22nd anniversary of the Great Hanshin Earthquake. Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko observed a moment of silence at the time of occurrence 5:46am at the Imperial Palace. The CP family observed a moment of silence at Togu Palace after Princess Aiko returned from school.

Source: Page 1 of Sankei Imperial Weekly #470

Family members attended a ritual on the morning of January 30th at the Imperial Palace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0zmI3i-iwc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNZm1zU4LMo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZqe7W0JaKY
February 3rd is the 30th anniversary of Prince Takamatsu's death. The Emperor and Empress, CP couple, and Akishino couple sent flowers to the Prince's grave at Toshima Oka cemetry. Since the Takamatsus did not have children to perform rituals, there is no annual ceremony.

Sankei Imperial Weekly #472

The AGM on February 6, 2017 featured a presentation by the Crown Prince Naruhito, who gave a thoughtful summation of his recent work on a United Nations committee studying water issues throughout the world. Our Patron, H.I.H. Princess Takamado and her two daughters Their Highnesses Princess Tsuguko and Princess Ayako joined the 150 ASJ members and guests at the Embassy of Mexico for a colorful evening. Official ASJ business and lecture completed, we were treated to an exuberant reception filled with friends new and known and conversation buoyed by the annual Mansaku-no-hana sake donation from Mr. Yamaoka from JUKI Corporation, fine Mexican cuisine and tequila, a musical quartet, and much more. No photos were allowed, so our memories must form the record of this stellar winter's evening.
https://www.facebook.com/asiaticsociety/posts/1250129501745925

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom