Engagement & Wedding of Princess Ayako and Kei Moriya 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: On October 11th, the Imperial Household Economy Council approved 106.75 million yen for Princess Ayako's marriage. As Joō (女王) great-granddaughter of an Emperor, the maximum payment is 70% of what a Naishinnō (内親王) daughter/granddaughter of an Emperor, would receive.

Princess Sayako (a Naishinnō princess) received 152.5 million yen in 2005. Princess Noriko also received 106.75 million yen in 2014.

Sources: Sankei, Asahi

ETA: Princess Ayako to receive 107 mil. yen after marriage with commoner - The Mainichi
Princess Ayako, the youngest daughter of Emperor Akihito's late cousin, will receive 106,750,000 yen ($951,000) from the state after her expected marriage with commoner Kei Moriya later this month, a government council decided Thursday. [...]

Last edited:
:previous: Princesses Hisako and Ayako's visit to Ise Shrine in Mie Prefecture to report Ayako's marriage. Ise Shrine is dedicated to the sun goddess Amaterasu, the ancestral deity of the Imperial family.

NHK reports it's Ayako's 2nd visit in 8 years and Hisako's 8th visit in 4 years.

Getty Images, AP Images

https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0028611842.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0028611837.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0028611840.jpg
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2018/10/19/20181019k0000m040011000p/9.jpg

ETA:

Last edited:
Ahead of Princess Ayako's marriage, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko invited the three Takamado princesses to dinner on October 23rd. Princesses Hisako, Tsuguko, and Ayako were seen entering the Imperial Palace at 7pm.

Video: news.tbs.co.jp
Screenshots here:
Princess Ayako will marry Kei Moriya at 11:30am at Meiji Shrine on October 29th.

Last edited:
The IHA released 14 photos of Princess Ayako ahead of the Choken-no-Gi (Ceremony of Audience)

Sankei gallery and caption translations below:

1. Formal photo taken on November 18, 1996 for Shichi-Go-San, ("Seven-Five-Three") a traditional rite of passage. Boys aged 5 or 7 and girls aged 3 or 7 are dressed in kimono for shrine visits. For this rite, the Takamado family observes the traditional way of calculating age where people are age 1 at birth, not 0.

2. With 2 friends before the entrance ceremony for Gakushuin Elementary School on April 10, 1997

3. Takamado family built a kamakura (snow cave) on January 9, 1998

4. Family photo in the Takamado residence's garden in November 1991

5. Takamado family in the garden in November 1995. They are surrounded by Inuit sculptures from Canada.

6. Princess Ayako in uniform before entering kindergarten on April 10, 1994

7. Princesses Noriko and Ayako holding stuffed Penguin toys on December 10, 2000

8. Princesses Noriko, Ayako, and Tsuguko on Ayako's first birthday on September 15, 1991

9. Princesses Tsuguko, Noriko, and Ayako on Ayako's 9th birthday on September 15, 1999

10. Princess Ayako at horseback riding practice on May 5, 1999

11. Takamado couple with Princesses Ayako and Noriko at the Museum of Natural History in Ibaraki Prefecture on September 15, 1998

12. Vacation with grandparents Prince Mikasa and Princess Yuriko in Karuizawa, Nagano Prefecture on August 22, 2015

13. Formal photo for 20th birthday on September 15, 2010

14. Photo taken at 20th birthday banquet on September 19, 2010

Lovely pictures! The one with the Penguin toys is so cute! Love the ones with her father as well, she must miss him so much, especially now that her wedding is near.

On the morning of October 26th, Princess Ayako worshipped at the Three Palace Sanctuaries in the Imperial Palace. Like her sister Noriko in 2014, Ayako wore her grandmother Princess Yuriko's robes.

Princess Hisako, Princess Tsuguko, Noriko Senge, Sayako Kuroda, and other relatives watched from the courtyard below.

Some early photos and videos: NHK, fnn.jp
https://www.sankei.com/images/news/181026/lif1810260025-p1.jpg
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2018/10/26/20181026k0000e040355000p/9.jpg
https://www.asahicom.jp/articles/images/AS20181026001532_comm.jpg
https://www.asahicom.jp/articles/images/AS20181026001593_comm.jpg
https://www.asahicom.jp/articles/images/AS20181026001596_comm.jpg
https://www.asahicom.jp/articles/images/AS20181026001605_comm.jpg

I took screenshots of Hisako Tsuguko, Noriko, and Sayako. A pillar blocks a Mikasa princess (Yoko?); Princesses Nobuko, Akiko, and Yoko were listed as attending on Asahi's Imperial schedule.

The Choken-no-Gi (Ceremony of Audience) to bid farewell to Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko is in the afternoon.

Attachments

• Takamado_FNN.jpg
    Takamado_FNN.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 245
  • Takamado_NHK_full.jpg
    Takamado_NHK_full.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Noriko_Sayako_FNN.jpg
    Noriko_Sayako_FNN.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 265
  • Noriko_Sayako_NHK_full.jpg
    Noriko_Sayako_NHK_full.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
:previous: Thank you! :flowers:

Asahi gallery has a few more photos

Closer view of her tiara, cropped from Sankei:
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...3dff432f6576f42baa79b33858c0e10e8924e0153.png

Dishes and refreshments at the ceremony included black beans, 9-year old sake, boiled mirin, ceremonial rice, kamaboko (fish cake), salted shrimp, etc.

About 350 people from IHA officials to Imperial Police bid farewell to Princess Ayako in the courtyard.

Source: NHK

Update on Ayako's patronages!

Japan’s Princess Ayako to retain honorary positions at two organizations after marriage | The Japan Times
Princess Ayako, the youngest daughter of Princess Hisako and the late Prince Takamado, Emperor Akihito’s cousin, will retain honorary positions at two organizations even after leaving the Imperial family following her marriage to a commoner next week, the Imperial Household Agency and the groups’ officials said Friday.

According to the agency, no other female members of the Imperial family have continued to serve in such positions, which are typically passed on to other royals after they become commoners.

[...]

The agency believes the practice is unlikely to pose problems as the Canada-Japan Society and the Japan Sea Cadet Federation, where the princess serves as honorary president, do not restrict title holders to Imperial family members.

An official denied the agency played an active role in the decision, saying it was based on an agreement between the princess and the two organizations.

[...]

Princess Ayako announces marriage to divine spirits: The Asahi Shimbun
Princess Ayako on Oct. 26 informed the divine spirits of emperors and other ancestors that she will be married in three days and will leave the imperial family.

During a ceremony called “Kashikodokoro-koreiden-shinden-ni-essuru-no-gi,” the 28-year-old princess paid her final respects at three sanctuaries in the Imperial Palace: Kashikodokoro, Koreiden and Shinden.

[...]

Shortly after 10 a.m. on Oct. 26, Ayako, wearing a red outer garment called “kouchiki,” which has been worn by high-ranking court ladies since the Heian Period (794-1185), appeared in a corridor of Kashikodokoro, which enshrines the Sun Goddess Amaterasu-omikami.

With a traditional hairstyle called “osuberakashi,” Ayako slowly and elegantly moved forward holding a “hiougi” fan made of cypress.

[...]

Ayako first visited Kashikodokoro, where “Kososhin,” the divine spirits of imperial family ancestors, are enshrined. She then visited Koreiden, where successive emperors and imperial family members are worshipped.

Lastly, the princess visited Shinden, where “Yaoyorozu no kami” (multitudinous deities) are enshrined.

The kouchiki worn by the princess was a gift presented to her grandmother, Princess Yuriko Mikasanomiya, from Empress Teimei (1884-1951), the wife of Emperor Taisho (1879-1926).

thank you Prisma for all your links and info. Im learning so much

Ahead of Princess Ayako's marriage, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko invited the three Takamado princesses to dinner on October 23rd. Princesses Hisako, Tsuguko, and Ayako were seen entering the Imperial Palace at 7pm.

Video: news.tbs.co.jp
Screenshots here:
Princess Ayako will marry Kei Moriya at 11:30am at Meiji Shrine on October 29th.
How nice that they were invited to diner but sad that sister Noriko couldn't attend just because she was the first to marry. Tsuguko's dinner eventually will be small with only her mom in attendance.

I am glad to see that she is included in some other ceremonies.

Thanks for the updates!

Princess Ayako's looked great in a traditional costume. Her dress for "the Choken-no-Gi" was all right.

It was nice to see Mrs Senge and Mrs Kuroda attending ceremonies.

Last edited:
You're very welcome!

Kei Moriya's messenger will pick up Princess Ayako from the Takamado residence (Judai-no-Gi aka leaving ceremony) on Monday, the 29th.

Princess Ayako joins Kei at Meiji Shrine and the ceremony will begin at 11:30am at Kaguraden (Hall of Sacred Music and Dance) with about 30 relatives in attendance.

Rituals include "cup of consolation" and exchange of wedding rings. Afterwards, the couple will visit the main shrine building to report the ceremony has been completed.

Marriage notification will be submitted to Tokyo's Minato Ward office in the afternoon.

Source: Jiji

Map of Meiji Shrine complex in English

The Japanese version for Meiji Shrine says they cannot accept visitors from 10:30am to 1pm on October 29.

Thank you for posting all this information, Prisma!

Are there any translations of what Ayako said to the Emperor, or what was said in return during her farewell to the Imperial couple? I am assuming the words are formal, scripted and memorized, but I would be interested to know what the ritual is.

Also, does anyone actually eat from or drink the food you listed?

You're welcome!

From Sankei and I cleaned up the google translation a bit:

Emperor Akihito: "I sincerely hope the two of you will nurture love and build a good family."
Empress Michiko: "May the two of you build a good family and be together as good society."
Princess Ayako: "I would like to express my gratitude to you for leading me with deep grace for a long time until today."

They have a celebratory drink but I'm not sure about the food. I read somewhere the food is not eaten but that's a waste. I doubt each bowl is filled to the brim, maybe a few bites so it isn't much to finish?

ETA: Lanterns and Japan flags at Meiji Shrine for the wedding

ETA: NHK reports the couple will live in a new apartment in Minato Ward, Tokyo. Ayako's continued research position with Josai International University is still under consultation.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting so much information, Prisma!

Update on Ayako's patronages!

Japan’s Princess Ayako to retain honorary positions at two organizations after marriage | The Japan Times

Princess Ayako, the youngest daughter of Princess Hisako and the late Prince Takamado, Emperor Akihito’s cousin, will retain honorary positions at two organizations even after leaving the Imperial family following her marriage to a commoner next week, the Imperial Household Agency and the groups’ officials said Friday.

According to the agency, no other female members of the Imperial family have continued to serve in such positions, which are typically passed on to other royals after they become commoners.

[...]

The agency believes the practice is unlikely to pose problems as the Canada-Japan Society and the Japan Sea Cadet Federation, where the princess serves as honorary president, do not restrict title holders to Imperial family members.

An official denied the agency played an active role in the decision, saying it was based on an agreement between the princess and the two organizations.

[...]

There is something ambiguous in the Imperial Household Agency's statements in the matter of Ayako's patronages. They state that an ex-royal continuing her patronages is unprecedented, apparently putting emphasis on the concern amongst agency officials over the shrinking imperial family. At the same time, they emphasize that it was an entirely private decision by Ayako without the involvement of officials. I'm puzzled about what they intended to communicate.

Princess Ayako announces marriage to divine spirits: The Asahi Shimbun

Princess Ayako on Oct. 26 informed the divine spirits of emperors and other ancestors that she will be married in three days and will leave the imperial family.

During a ceremony called “Kashikodokoro-koreiden-shinden-ni-essuru-no-gi,” the 28-year-old princess paid her final respects at three sanctuaries in the Imperial Palace: Kashikodokoro, Koreiden and Shinden.

[...]

Shortly after 10 a.m. on Oct. 26, Ayako, wearing a red outer garment called “kouchiki,” which has been worn by high-ranking court ladies since the Heian Period (794-1185), appeared in a corridor of Kashikodokoro, which enshrines the Sun Goddess Amaterasu-omikami.

With a traditional hairstyle called “osuberakashi,” Ayako slowly and elegantly moved forward holding a “hiougi” fan made of cypress.

[...]

Ayako first visited Kashikodokoro, where “Kososhin,” the divine spirits of imperial family ancestors, are enshrined. She then visited Koreiden, where successive emperors and imperial family members are worshipped.

Lastly, the princess visited Shinden, where “Yaoyorozu no kami” (multitudinous deities) are enshrined.

The kouchiki worn by the princess was a gift presented to her grandmother, Princess Yuriko Mikasanomiya, from Empress Teimei (1884-1951), the wife of Emperor Taisho (1879-1926).

The royals' regular small expressions of remembering their ancestors (parents and grandparents as well as deceased or even mythical royals) are quite nice.

About 350 people from IHA officials to Imperial Police bid farewell to Princess Ayako in the courtyard.

It's lovely that even the most "minor" royal receives a full-blown royal farewell.

The IHA released 14 photos of Princess Ayako ahead of the Choken-no-Gi (Ceremony of Audience)

Sankei gallery and caption translations below:

1. Formal photo taken on November 18, 1996 for Shichi-Go-San, ("Seven-Five-Three") a traditional rite of passage. Boys aged 5 or 7 and girls aged 3 or 7 are dressed in kimono for shrine visits. For this rite, the Takamado family observes the traditional way of calculating age where people are age 1 at birth, not 0.

2. With 2 friends before the entrance ceremony for Gakushuin Elementary School on April 10, 1997

3. Takamado family built a kamakura (snow cave) on January 9, 1998

4. Family photo in the Takamado residence's garden in November 1991

5. Takamado family in the garden in November 1995. They are surrounded by Inuit sculptures from Canada.

6. Princess Ayako in uniform before entering kindergarten on April 10, 1994

7. Princesses Noriko and Ayako holding stuffed Penguin toys on December 10, 2000

8. Princesses Noriko, Ayako, and Tsuguko on Ayako's first birthday on September 15, 1991

9. Princesses Tsuguko, Noriko, and Ayako on Ayako's 9th birthday on September 15, 1999

10. Princess Ayako at horseback riding practice on May 5, 1999

11. Takamado couple with Princesses Ayako and Noriko at the Museum of Natural History in Ibaraki Prefecture on September 15, 1998

12. Vacation with grandparents Prince Mikasa and Princess Yuriko in Karuizawa, Nagano Prefecture on August 22, 2015

13. Formal photo for 20th birthday on September 15, 2010

14. Photo taken at 20th birthday banquet on September 19, 2010

Lovely photos of a clearly close family. I have to admit, I enjoy the more candid family photographs the IHA releases of the Takamados in comparison to the formal photos and videos the agency uses for the crown princely family and the Akishino family.

Last edited:
You're welcome!

Yea, I'd like better photos for the Imperial family as well. Unfortunately, the only time we get such photos is when a princess marries. As for Ayako's patronages, the cynical side of me thinks the IHA wants to make clear they had nothing to do with the decision so if the arrangement goes poorly, it's on the Takamado family.

Onto wedding news: leaving the Takamado residence and Meiji Shrine arrival photos/video below

Asahi, Mainichi galleries (updated)

Kei waited for Princess Ayako's arrival at the torii gates. About 40 people, including their friends gathered in the courtyard and watched the couple enter Kaguraden. Ayako's wearing the same robes Noriko wore, borrowed from grandmother Princess Yuriko. [Jiji]

NHK, news24.jp videos

Sankei has a photo of the leaving ceremony inside the Takamado residence. It's sweet to see Prince Takamado's portrait again.
https://www.sankei.com/images/news/181029/lif1810290023-p2.jpg

ETA: part of the ceremony news24.jp 2

ETA:

Last edited:
Thanks, Prisma and iceflower!

Kei waited for Princess Ayako's arrival at the torii gates. About 40 people, including their friends gathered in the courtyard and watched the couple enter Kaguraden. Ayako's wearing the same robes Noriko wore, borrowed from grandmother Princess Yuriko. [Jiji]

NHK, news24.jp videos

Sankei has a photo of the leaving ceremony inside the Takamado residence. It's sweet to see Prince Takamado's portrait again.
https://www.sankei.com/images/news/181029/lif1810290023-p2.jpg

ETA: part of the ceremony news24.jp 2

ETA:

I wonder why Kei is wearing a Western morning suit (and carrying a top hat), unlike Kunimaro Senge when he married. To judge from the wedding guests' attire, both traditional and Western apparel are following proper etiquette, but dressing the bride in traditional robes and the groom in Western garb makes the couple's outfits appear mismatched to my eyes.

What is the red robe Princess Ayako is wearing in the final photograph?

Yea, I'd like better photos for the Imperial family as well. Unfortunately, the only time we get such photos is when a princess marries.

I see. Apparently, the royals are only encouraged to portray their natural moments while on their way out. ;)

As for Ayako's patronages, the cynical side of me thinks the IHA wants to make clear they had nothing to do with the decision so if the arrangement goes poorly, it's on the Takamado family.

Your interpretation makes a great deal of sense. Perhaps the IHA is making an attempt to protect the imperial family as well by applying the accountability to the (hereafter) commoner.

Thank you for all the links. I loved how happy the couple looked when they met at the torii gate: "beaming" seems to be the correct word!

I also noticed during the ceremony the contrast between how Ayako moved with slow, gliding, controlled steps, and how Kei moved, slowly, but without that ceremonial look. You can tell who has had years and years of training in walking in kimono and heavy robes!

I hope we are also able to see some of the photos from the formal dinner and reception that will follow, as we did with Noriko's wedding.

I interpreted the IHA's announcement about the patronages as a kind of hands off "It has nothing to do with us" stance, but at the same time they are testing the waters: what will the response be if a former Imperial princess doesn't just disappear when she marries? Is there the possibility that Japanese society would look favorably on a hard-working former princess having a continuing symbolic role?

Thanks for the updates!
Princess Ayako looked lovely in traditional costumes.
You're welcome!
Yea, I'd like better photos for the Imperial family as well. Unfortunately, the only time we get such photos is when a princess marries. As for Ayako's patronages, the cynical side of me thinks the IHA wants to make clear they had nothing to do with the decision so if the arrangement goes poorly, it's on the Takamado family. ...
Actually the IHA position is understandable and comes as no surprise to me. It is their duty to hedge against what can be perceived as a controversial situation that can adversely affect the Imperial family.
The Moriya family is already involved in the charity organisation. Mrs Ayako Moriya can take over the late Mrs Moriya's duties.

Last edited:
So 6 princesses remained in the Imperial Family. It is known whether one of the princesses (probably Yoko or Akiko) has someone?

Last edited:
The red robe was also worn to worship at the Three Palace Sanctuaries last week. From the Asahi article: "wearing a red outer garment called “kouchiki,” which has been worn by high-ranking court ladies since the Heian Period (794-1185)"

Maybe Kei's not used to traditional clothes whereas Kunimaro Senge is heir to Izumo Shrine so it would have been odder to wear Western garb. Several of Emperor Showa's sons-in-law wore morning suits.

Princess Kazuko and Nobusuke Takatsukasa
Princess Atsuko and Takamasa Ikeda
Princess Takako and Hisanaga Shimazu

Q&A with reporters from fnn.jp

Q. About family members
Moriya: I have been raised over 30 years, especially when my family supported me during hardships. Thinking back, I am full of gratitude. In the future I would like to spend our days as a good couple. I think my mother is also pleased so I would like to ask her to please watch over me in the future.

Ayako: It's been 28 years since my happy birth. I am glad to show you happiness while my grandmothers are healthy. My feelings towards my family do not change when married. We would like to cooperate with ourselves so that our families can keep watching with affection as ever. I am sorry my father is not here but he is surely pleased with my marriage and I want to tell you that I will make efforts to become a couple like my mother and father.

Q: About the ring
Ayako: It is not that I bought to show people (laugh)

Q: About costumes (clothing)
Moriya: I have heard of such costumes; I thought it was very beautiful because it was my first time to see it.

Ayako: (he's) tailored for today…and (top hat Moriya carried), I'm very happy because I lent items from my father. I was nervous but I was thrilled to see how he looked. I look forward to Takamado-no-miya for good services in the future. (laugh) [this refers to Princess Hisako's introduction]

Some expectations for the wedding party from fnn.jp analysts
- About 60 guests including Crown Prince couple, Akishino couple, Princess Mako and members of three branches of government.
- Crown Prince Naruhito will toast the couple
- French cuisine
- Gift box (bonbonniere) should have Ayako’s emblem (Kudzu)
- No wedding cake

Ayako's dress is expected to be pink silk with white lace and has special meaning for both families. Kei's mother Kimie, who supported developing countries, gave Princess Hisako pink silk made by Cambodian women. This is the silk used for Ayako's dress instead of the customary Japanese silk.

Sankei report about Princess Hisako. Mother and 3 daughters have strong bonds these 16 years since Prince Takamado's passing. Ayako has supported her mother in public and private. After Ayako's engagement was announced, Hisako responded with "One more to go" to an congratulatory email sent from an acquaintance.

From the email, the acquaintance felt Princess Hisako's joy and sense of responsibility to send out the 3 princesses properly.

The chairman of the Japan-Canada Society praised Ayako.

During the lead up to the wedding, Ayako showed her consideration for her mother. At the October 2nd exhibition of Princess Hisako's Netsuke photographs, Ayako was the center of attention yet she constantly positioned herself away until urged to stand by her mother by others.

Princess Ayako marries commoner Kei Moriya - The Mainichi
[...]

"How happy I am that many people have celebrated (our marriage). We want to make efforts to become a couple like my mother and father," the princess told reporters following the ceremony.

She also said her late father Prince Takamado, who died in 2002, "would have rejoiced at my marriage" if he were alive, adding the top hat Moriya was holding had been her father's.

Moriya said, "I want to support her firmly and hold hands to look forward and build a family full of smiles."

[...]

Hanako Takeda, a 27-year-old friend of the princess from her school days, said, "I was overwhelmed when I saw the bride and groom together as I remembered past times with the princess. I want her to create a bright family that can make everyone smile."

"I'm delighted at this happy occasion. Mr. Moriya looked cool, as he usually does. I hope they will make a wonderful couple," said Yasuyuki Goto, 33, a friend of Moriya.

[...]
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko lent their car to take Princess Ayako to Meiji Shrine, just like they did when Noriko married.
Princess Ayako ties the knot with Kei Moriya in shrine ceremony in Tokyo - The Mainichi
Arriving at the shrine in the special car that Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko use for ceremonies at around 10 a.m., the princess met Moriya at the shrine and the couple was blessed by their friends, family and other gathered.

Last edited:
Pink wedding dress? Lovely!!! Can't wait to see pictures tomorow! I wonder if it will be soft pink.

Princess Ayako she is soo lovely!!! Congratulations to the couple!

There are so many lovely personal touches to this wedding, from the Emperor's chrysanthemum emblazoned car carrying the bride to the Meiji shrine, to Mr. Komura being loaned Prince Takamado's top hat, to the bonbonniere with Ayako's personal emblem. This seems like much warmer and more personal wedding than Noriko's.

Thank you for all the additional details, Prisma!

these pictures are lovely. japanese weddings are quite something - love those traditional costumes and the hairdos.

I feel for princess Mako. It must be hard to go through your (imperial) family member's wedding (even with a bridegroom named Kei) in the month you were supposed to marry.

Last edited:
Thank you, Prisma, for the information about the wedding - it seems like a very nice ceremony and I love all the traditional kimonos. I find it interesting that they're having French food instead of Japanese food at the reception, is it common for wealthier Japanese families to eat more Western food at formal occasions?
Ayako looks gorgeous; though I also do feel for Mako, after all she went through with her engagement.

Back
Top Bottom