Engagement & Wedding of Princess Ayako and Kei Moriya 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prisma

Majesty
City
Bay Area
Country
United States
Princess Ayako is engaged! Her husband-to-be, age 32, is an employee at major shipping company NYK Line in Tokyo.

[-]Press conference soon? this afternoon? (already the 26th in Japan, unclear google translation).[/-] Wedding this autumn.

Sources: Asahi, Sankei, Yomiuri, Jiji

Congratulations!

ETA: NHK reports the couple met this April when he was invited to a party at Takamado residence.

Mainichi photo gallery of Ayako and Takamado family

Japanese Princess Hisako's daughter Ayako to get engaged to businessman - Kyodo News

Last edited:
Wait, did I understand this right? They have known each other for two months and are getting married this autumn? Are they not going a bit too fast? I wish all the best for the couple, but still!

She's following her parents' example, I suppose? Hisako Tottori first met Prince Takamado (Norihito) on April 23, 1984 at the Canadian Embassy. He proposed on May 20th, their engagement announced on August 1st, and they married on December 6th. All in 1984.

Yomiuri and Asahi updated their articles: official announcement and press conference on July 2nd. Wedding ceremony on October 29 at Meiji Shine.

ETA: Sankei reports Ayako and her fiance met last December via an introduction from her mother.

ETA: Princess Hisako's daughter Ayako to get engaged to businessman - The Mainichi (Updated)
The future husband of the 27-year-old princess is Kei Moriya, 32, an employee of major shipping firm NYK Line, the agency announced.

ETA: Nosai no Gi (formal engagement ceremony) will be held on August 12 [news24.jp] which also reports the couple met last December so NHK appears more and more incorrect.

FNN info and photos of the couple. Ayako's kimono is lovely!

Kei Moriya graduated from Keio University.

Every year Princess Hisako attends events for NPO KnK International "Children without Borders" where Kei’s mother Kimie was secretary general and then senior director. Princess Hisako met Kei for the first time 10 years ago at a "Children without Borders" photo exhibition. Last November, she met Kei again at the organization's 20th anniversary celebration where he mentioned interest in international welfare activities.

Thus, Princess Hisako introduced Kei to Ayako in December. Princess Ayako has a Masters in social work from Josai International University and is currently working as a researcher at the Faculty of Social Work Studies Josai International University.

Correction: Kimie Moriya passed away in July 2015.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the couple!

So in October there will be two weddings of the Princesses born in 1990!

:previous: Another wedding to look forward with Princess Eugenie of York and now Princess Ayako getting married !:flowers:

Congratulations to Princess Ayako and Mr Moriya!

That is a whirlwind engagement. I am looking forward to seeing photos of various ceremonies that accompany engagements and weddings in Japan.

Last edited:
That seems like a very quick courtship, especially in terms of Ayako being member of the Imperial family.

They are a very attractive couple, and I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of the formal engagement and the wedding.

Will Ayako lose her imperial status?

Yes, she will. Just like all the Japanese imperial princesses marying outside the Imperial Family itself. The only chance a princess retains her title and status is when she marries a fellow Imperial family member. Thus, the only possible match of this kind for me, now, is Aiko marrying her paternal first cousin, Hisahito.

Eventually, we should expect that all of the girls would marry and there will be only the Emperor, his brother and nephew. And their wives, of course. Maybe Akiko will be single? She is the now the senior princess of her generation and works quite a lot.

Will Ayako lose her imperial status?

Japanese Imperial princesses lose their official imperial status when they marry. For example, Ayako's sister Princesss Noriko became Mrs. Noriko Senge upon her marriage.

Japanese Imperial princesses lose their official imperial status when they marry. For example, Ayako's sister Princesss Noriko became Mrs. Noriko Senge upon her marriage.

I think she lost it because Kunimaro is not an aristocrat.

She lost it because her husband is not member of the Imperial family and thus a commoner. Since 1946, there are no aristocrats, official nobility in Japan. All titles of nobility or rank outside the immediate Imperial Family were discontinued to use and the Kazoku, hereditary peerage (based on the British, I suppose), was abolished.
Also, collateral branches of the Imperial House were abolished and succession was limited to the male line male descendants of Emperor Taishō.

Last edited:
(..)

Thank you, Prisma! I never knew Prince and Princess Takamado were acquainted for only a month (!) until he proposed marriage. None of the marriages in the Mikasa family were arranged, correct? Well, the Takamados' marriage seems to have been happy and I suppose Ayako learned from her parents' example, whether they met 2 or 6 months ago.

She lost it because her husband is not member of the Imperial family and thus a commoner. Since 1946, there are no aristocrats, official nobility in Japan. All titles of nobility or rank outside the immediate Imperial Family were discontinued to use and the Kazoku, hereditary peerage (based on the British, I suppose), was abolished.

kbk is exactly correct. Had the Kazoku not been abolished, Kunimaro's family would be aristocrats today. Nevertheless, Ayako's sister Noriko Senge would have lost her imperial status whether under the Imperial House Law of 1889 or the Imperial House Law of 1947, but she would have become an aristocrat instead of a commoner. (But wasn't the kazoku abolished on May 3, 1947 with the new Constitution, rather than in 1946?)

The Imperial House Law - The Imperial Household Agency

Article 12. In case a female of the Imperial Family marries a person other than the Emperor or the members of the Imperial Family, she shall lose the status of the Imperial Family member.​

Also, collateral branches of the Imperial House were abolished and succession was limited to the male line male descendants of Emperor Taishō.

That's right, but to be precise, the Imperial House Law limits the succession to male line male descendants who are members of the Imperial Family. The collateral branches not descended from Emperor Taishō would be in the line of succession if they hadn't lost their imperial status in 1947.

The Imperial House Law - The Imperial Household Agency

Article 1. The Imperial Throne shall be succeeded to by a male offspring in the male line belonging to the Imperial Lineage.

Article 2. The Imperial Throne shall be passed to the members of the Imperial Family according to the following order: [...]​

How is the wedding venue decided? I'm curious about why Ayako will marry at the Meiji Shrine whereas Mako was supposed to marry at the Imperial Hotel.

Last edited:
very excited for ayako and her dashing husband to be! were there official pictures when noriko got engaged? now there is only tsuguko left, i am sure we will hear of the good news soon!

Congratulations to the couple and their respective familie's.

Kei Moriya’s father Osamu (62) worked at the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. His mother Kimie was a senior director at KnK International "Children without Borders." She became ill while visiting Cambodia for the organization in July 2015 and died after transferring to Thailand. Kei succeeded his mother's position at KnK this March.

Princess Hisako is also acquainted with Osamu Moriya as he was in London in 1975 when she studied aboard at Cambridge University.

Kei spent his kindergarten period in Paris and also studied abroad at Oxford University while enrolled at Keio University. He lives with his father and grandmother. He's been working for NYK since 2009, where he's in charge of wood chip transportation, and was featured that year in the company newsletter. A colleague says Kei is proficient in English and believes he’ll be a serious and good husband like his work.

Media began gathering at Moriya's apartment building in the afternoon; they waited several hours as Kei returned home after 9:30pm. He didn’t say much, thanked the crowds and media’s “congratulations” and bowed.

Cello instructor Yoshihiko Terada was among those congratulating the couple. In August 1993, Mr. Terada began giving cello lessons to Prince Takamado who wanted to start learning before turning 40. While her sisters Tsuguko and Noriko selected violin and piano, Ayako wanted to learn after listening to her father's cello sessions. Mr. Terada remembers Ayako practicing hard in front of a large mirror in a reception room at the Takamado residence. She was serious from a young age.

When Prince Takamado suddenly passed away in November 2002, Mr. Terada and Princess Ayako played cello in front of his coffin before the general viewing. She continued cello lessons until university.

Sources: Sankei, Sankei 2, Mainichi, Jiji, Jiji 2

The photos released by the IHA were taken on May 17 (Ayako) and June 9 (Kei):
http://www.sankei.com/images/news/180626/lif1806260035-p2.jpg
http://www.sankei.com/images/news/180626/lif1806260035-p3.jpg

Kei Moriya greeting media on June 26:
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0027476176.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0027476497.jpg

ETA: Photos of Kei visiting Cambodia and silk garment workers in January 2016: Jiji, Asahi

ETA: correction on Osamu Moriya's work

Last edited:
:previous:
Mr Moriya's family has an impressive CVs. It is unfortunate that Mrs Moriya passed away.

Last edited:
Wow, that's quickly.

Poor Mako was dating her groom to be for years and years and had to postpone her engagement and wedding (never to take place?) and now this second cousin meets someone who is apparently approved by the court very easily and is getting married at about the time she was supposed to be married.

It's quite hard to understand how status is far more important than anything else regarding the marriages of imperial princesses especially since they loose their status by marrying. It seems a rather cruel system.

Last edited:
I didn't sense disapproval until Mrs. Komuro's financial dispute surfaced. The IHA released a schedule of events and secured a location. Part of me feels Mako/Akishino family caved quickly but who knows the truth? It is awkward Mako's marriage is postponed for 2 years due to "important upcoming events/lack of preparation" while Ayako's is scheduled in a few months. So far, it seems major Japanese media have been kind enough to gloss over Mako's delay. I did see some chuckles on Japanese tweets that "Ayako's getting married before Mako" or "Poor Tsuguko...still single." Some are praising Princess Hisako's matchmaking skills or lamenting Ayako's absence from next year's abdication/enthronement events. One commentator is a downer, saying it's pretty bad timing for a wedding with many Imperial events coming up.

On June 27th, Princesses Hisako and Ayako visited Prince Takamado and Prince Mikasa's graves at Toshima Oka cemetery in the morning. She bowed from the car to well-wishers. Meanwhile, the media followed Kei Moriya to work around 7am. Poor guy was nervous.

Video/article: news24.jp, NHK

Getty Images
[...] How is the wedding venue decided? I'm curious about why Ayako will marry at the Meiji Shrine whereas Mako was supposed to marry at the Imperial Hotel.
I'm curious as well. Meiji Shrine is rather public, it's open daily. Some structures have different hours or limit photography. When I visited Meiji Shrine in 2016, I saw at least two weddings taking place. One wedding was in progress, the procession weaving through a courtyard. Another couple was done and taking wedding photographs in a corner. Staff and police kept tourists and on-lookers at a respectful distance.
very excited for ayako and her dashing husband to be! were there official pictures when noriko got engaged? now there is only tsuguko left, i am sure we will hear of the good news soon!
Yes, the IHA released photos when announcing Princess Noriko's engagement in 2014:
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/graph/mainichi.jp/2014/05/27/20140527k0000e040196000c/image/001.jpg
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/graph/mainichi.jp/2014/05/27/20140527k0000e040196000c/image/002.jpg
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/graph/mainichi.jp/2014/05/27/20140527k0000e040196000c/image/003.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possible this is an arranged marriage? It's so fast for such a conservative institution and on the heels of the Mako strangeness. :huh:

If it's true love I am happy for them, of course. :flowers:

I always felt that the postponement of Mako's wedding because of the abdication seemed like a to good of an excuse but if it wasn't we have to remember that she, God willing, will be the daughter and sister of emperors not a distant cousin like Ayako.
To me there's some possibilities:
1. IHA didn't like her future hubby and were grabbing at straws to find an excuse to postpone the marriage.
2. IHA knew there was something fishy with said hubby's family and wanted some time to let it either blow over or become public.
3. Mako herself felt that it was her duty to attend the abdication and enthronement ceremonies as an Imperial princess. She's always seemed very aware (in a good way) of her station and responsibilities.
4. The Imperial family wanted more time to persuade the government to allow for the granddaughter's of the Emperor to remain in the Imperial family after marriage.

To tie it all together before the mods hang me for going to much off topic - there's definitely a difference in the two marriages because of status and family bonds to the current and the three future emperors.

I have a feeling it’s not a coincidence that the only two princesses of the younger generation to marry without issues are Hisako’s daughters. I would guess she is close to her daughters and talks to them about their wishes and plans for marriage and introduces them to suitable men. That way there are no unexpected family secrets or other problems arising.
I imagine if the princesses had met someone on their own there would be a background check and the marriages would still be approved, but if they were single and looking then introductions from their mother might be a good way to meet eligible men.

BTW, does Noriko have children?

From what do you know that?
She is an ordinary Japanese citizen know and the Imperial Court doesn't have an obligation to announce the births of her children.

I didn't sense disapproval until Mrs. Komuro's financial dispute surfaced. The IHA released a schedule of events and secured a location. Part of me feels Mako/Akishino family caved quickly but who knows the truth? It is awkward Mako's marriage is postponed for 2 years due to "important upcoming events/lack of preparation" while Ayako's is scheduled in a few months. So far, it seems major Japanese media have been kind enough to gloss over Mako's delay. I did see some chuckles on Japanese tweets that "Ayako's getting married before Mako" or "Poor Tsuguko...still single." Some are praising Princess Hisako's matchmaking skills or lamenting Ayako's absence from next year's abdication/enthronement events. One commentator is a downer, saying it's pretty bad timing for a wedding with many Imperial events coming up.

On June 27th, Princesses Hisako and Ayako visited Prince Takamado and Prince Mikasa's graves at Toshima Oka cemetery in the morning. She bowed from the car to well-wishers. Meanwhile, the media followed Kei Moriya to work around 7am. Poor guy was nervous.

Video/article: news24.jp, NHK

Getty Images

[...]

Thank you for the rundown of the comments. The media's uncritical coverage of Mako's delay is a positive indication for Kei Komuro, I feel. It's happily surprising to see that some members of the public value the service of the minor royals, and that even Ayako's fiancé is being followed in the news coverage.

I have a feeling it’s not a coincidence that the only two princesses of the younger generation to marry without issues are Hisako’s daughters. I would guess she is close to her daughters and talks to them about their wishes and plans for marriage and introduces them to suitable men. That way there are no unexpected family secrets or other problems arising.
I imagine if the princesses had met someone on their own there would be a background check and the marriages would still be approved, but if they were single and looking then introductions from their mother might be a good way to meet eligible men.

Under the circumstances, that would be a clever strategy on Princess Hisako's side. But it's quite ironic that the daughters of the most casual branch of the imperial family found grooms from "suitable" leading families and decided to be married at Shinto shrines, whereas the daughter of the couple who thrilled traditionalists by maintaining the male-only succession is engaged to a man from a middle-class family background.

I always felt that the postponement of Mako's wedding because of the abdication seemed like a to good of an excuse but if it wasn't we have to remember that she, God willing, will be the daughter and sister of emperors not a distant cousin like Ayako.
1. IHA didn't like her future hubby and were grabbing at straws to find an excuse to postpone the marriage.
2. IHA knew there was something fishy with said hubby's family and wanted some time to let it either blow over or become public.
3. Mako herself felt that it was her duty to attend the abdication and enthronement ceremonies as an Imperial princess. She's always seemed very aware (in a good way) of her station and responsibilities.
4. The Imperial family wanted more time to persuade the government to allow for the granddaughter's of the Emperor to remain in the Imperial family after marriage.

To tie it all together before the mods hang me for going to much off topic - there's definitely a difference in the two marriages because of status and family bonds to the current and the three future emperors.

The official excuse and possibility 3 can be excluded based on the embarrassment to the IHA and the imperial family resulting from the postponement and the pain on Mako's visage when she was pictured leaving the palace on the day of (the day after?) the postponement announcement. I would also exclude possibility 4 considering the present PM's uncompromising defense of the male line limitations.

Kei Moriya’s father Osamu (62) was the former Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry. His mother Kimie was a senior director at KnK International "Children without Borders." She became ill while visiting Cambodia for the organization in July 2015 and died after transferring to Thailand. Kei succeeded his mother's position at KnK this March.

Princess Hisako is also acquainted with Osamu Moriya as he was in London in 1975 when she studied aboard at Cambridge University.

Kei spent his kindergarten period in Paris and also studied abroad at Oxford University while enrolled at Keio University. He lives with his father and grandmother. He's been working for NYK since 2009, where he's in charge of wood chip transportation, and was featured that year in the company newsletter. A colleague says Kei is proficient in English and believes he’ll be a serious and good husband like his work.

Media began gathering at Moriya's apartment building in the afternoon; they waited several hours as Kei returned home after 9:30pm. He didn’t say much, thanked the crowds and media’s “congratulations” and bowed.

Cello instructor Yoshihiko Terada was among those congratulating the couple. In August 1993, Mr. Terada began giving cello lessons to Prince Takamado who wanted to start learning before turning 40. While her sisters Tsuguko and Noriko selected violin and piano, Ayako wanted to learn after listening to her father's cello sessions. Mr. Terada remembers Ayako practicing hard in front of a large mirror in a reception room at the Takamado residence. She was serious from a young age.

When Prince Takamado suddenly passed away in November 2002, Mr. Terada and Princess Ayako played cello in front of his coffin before the general viewing. She continued cello lessons until university.

Sources: Sankei, Sankei 2, Mainichi, Jiji, Jiji 2

The photos released by the IHA were taken on May 17 (Ayako) and June 9 (Kei):
http://www.sankei.com/images/news/180626/lif1806260035-p2.jpg
http://www.sankei.com/images/news/180626/lif1806260035-p3.jpg

Kei Moriya greeting media on June 26:
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0027476176.jpg
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0027476497.jpg

ETA: Photos of Kei visiting Cambodia and silk garment workers in January 2016: Jiji, Asahi

Given his background, I would speculate that Kei Moriya shares Ayako's interest in travel. It was kind of her cello instructor to come and congratulate her.

Thank you for the rundown of the comments. The media's uncritical coverage of Mako's delay is a positive indication for Kei Komuro, I feel. It's happily surprising to see that some members of the public value the service of the minor royals, and that even Ayako's fiancé is being followed in the news coverage.

Such a drama, though. :huh: Mystery. Poor kid. Especially to have October be the marriage of a relative and not her. Almost could look like a deliberate slap. Is that in the realm of possibility?

Under the circumstances, that would be a clever strategy on Princess Hisako's side. But it's quite ironic that the daughters of the most casual branch of the imperial family found grooms from "suitable" leading families and decided to be married at Shinto shrines, whereas the daughter of the couple who thrilled traditionalists by maintaining the male-only succession is engaged to a man from a middle-class family background.

With the excessively long delay might they be hoping to estrange the couple, I wonder. I'm sure this has been discussed thoroughly, but with this new wrinkle the delay looks odder and odder (imo).

Correction: Kei's father Osamu Moriya worked at the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (1979 - 2006). He was NOT the minister. He graduated from the Department of Economics, University of Tokyo and obtained at MBA at Cornell University. After retiring, the elder Moriya holds director, auditor, and senior vice president positions at various companies.

Source: Japanese wiki - 守谷治

On July 2nd, Princess Ayako and Kei Moriya will meet the press at 3pm at the IHA building. Princess Ayako and Princess Hisako will report to Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko before the press conference.

Source: news24.jp
Is it possible this is an arranged marriage? It's so fast for such a conservative institution and on the heels of the Mako strangeness. :huh:

If it's true love I am happy for them, of course. :flowers:
Well, Princess Hisako should not be shocked at the speed. She accepted Prince Takamado's proposal after a month of meeting him. In 1984, they met in April, got engaged in May, and married in December. Matchmaking better describes Japan's "Miai" or "Omiai" custom. The process involves choice and courtship. Refusal is allowed.

Ayako's cousin Makiko Sen's marriage last year was a miai match, see this post.

[...]

The official excuse and possibility 3 can be excluded based on the embarrassment to the IHA and the imperial family resulting from the postponement and the pain on Mako's visage when she was pictured leaving the palace on the day of (the day after?) the postponement announcement. I would also exclude possibility 4 considering the present PM's uncompromising defense of the male line limitations.

[...]
Thanks Tatiana Maria. Possibilities 1 and 2 are also unlikely to me because Mako and Kei Komuro were dating for 4-5 years. The IHA could have interfered much earlier if they disliked Kei. Why allow the relationship continue and embarrass/hurt everyone now? Mako reportedly planned to announce her engagement last fall. That indicates she was willing to marry out before the important events in 2019. Sadly, the financial dispute was a nasty surprise. I'm still rooting for Mako and Kei Komuro.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom