Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Japan - February 26-March 1, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's doing a nice job, albeit I have to say that if Catherine were present it would be more interesting. ;) The clothes and shoes and hair and what-all. Watching him in all the videos and the still poses, I think how it was all likely planned to have them both standing there, Catherine waving by his side. Still, he's doing okay. His smile is warm and feels very genuine. I think he's grown up a lot, to at least have sophisticated to his role in a serious way. He feels comfortable to watch.
I actually think this tour is more benifical this way. The focus, though a bit lesser of it, is on the diplomacy and this is Williams chance to show that he can be a serious, "boring" and proper diplomat for the country in tricky cultures. If Kate was with (and yes, I would love it too) they would interact more with each other and it would be more giggles and fun. This way he can show a more somber (Is that the right word even if event's aren't sad?) side of himself which is an important part in being a future king. Just my five cents :p

Without Kate, the artices do not stay long on the various websites and there are less photos of the various events.

@BBCPeterHunt: After bowing his head, Prince William told Emperor Akihito, “Your Majesty. Very nice to see you again.”

Gallery:

Getty

I actually think this tour is more benifical this way. The focus, though a bit lesser of it, is on the diplomacy and this is Williams chance to show that he can be a serious, "boring" and proper diplomat for the country in tricky cultures. If Kate was with (and yes, I would love it too) they would interact more with each other and it would be more giggles and fun. This way he can show a more somber (Is that the right word even if event's aren't sad?) side of himself which is an important part in being a future king. Just my five cents :p

Well said. :flowers: I agree, especially the part where you indicate that it would be more about William and Catherine's interactions, "giggles and fun". Maybe a day will come when the two of them together can have that joint soberness. (Very interesting how the presence of the woman changes the media interest).

I was watching the video of William in the rain on the boat and have to say, if I were Catherine, I would be glad I was snug at home tending to my pregnancy. I'm a wuss, yes. ;)

I'm pleased to see that the visit is getting some coverage in the mainstream news - I did have my fears that with the absence of Kate it wouldn't surface.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The Japanese Imperial couple, as well as the Crown Prince, seem like they'd be genuinely interesting and pleasant people to talk to.

William and Catherine have had a joint somber events together. They know how to do their job. There will be tours that they will do separately, although I think this was meant to be joint tour, I think William is doing just fine on his own.

Yes, it's very touching that William viewed a photo of his late mother at the Commonwealth War Graves. She may have been gone for a longtime, but she's never forgotten by the people and other countries. No matter what, her memory is kept alive and I think William and Harry appreciate it.

Last edited:
Well said. :flowers: I agree, especially the part where you indicate that it would be more about William and Catherine's interactions, "giggles and fun". Maybe a day will come when the two of them together can have that joint soberness. (Very interesting how the presence of the woman changes the media interest).

I was watching the video of William in the rain on the boat and have to say, if I were Catherine, I would be glad I was snug at home tending to my pregnancy. I'm a wuss, yes. ;)

William and Kate can do somber and serious. The South Pacific tour in 2012 had several examples including the mosque and the trip to the war cemetery. In NZ, they met with people who lost their love ones in the earth quake. A tour like this is different in its nature because of where it's at. Canada, Australia, NZ are all realms and more informal in nature. While Japan and China are steeped in custom and protocol making this trip more formal. I have no doubt that W&K can handle it and will do so in future tours together as they go to places outside the realms of the Queen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Without Kate, the artices do not stay long on the various websites and there are less photos of the various events.

It did flash through my head how different the coverage would be were it Kate walking around in a wet wool coat. Commentary for days and the horror of it all... Not to mention frizzing of hair. :whistling:

I like William on his own. He does a fine job and has that same focus on the person to whom he is speaking that his mom and his wife had/have in their tool box. The Queen does that "listen to them intently" too. There is an old Eagles/Don Henley song called "Learn to be Still" that I always think of when I see pictures of them listening to someone's story.

Video:
Prince William today lunched with the Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace and laid a wreath at the Commonwealth war cemetery in Yokohama, near Tokyo on the second day of his first visit to Japan-

Home - ITNSource News

Video:
At a function to promote British industry in the afternoon, Prince William looked slightly sheepish in a bright red "happi", a traditional Japanese house coat as he joined a Japanese astronaut to swing a wooden hammer and crack open a barrel of sake-

Home - ITNSource News

A wonderful man he grew up to be
Diana would have been splendidly proud

William and Catherine have had a joint somber events together. They know how to do their job. There will be tours that they will do separately, although I think this was meant to be joint tour, I think William is doing just fine on his own.

Yes, it's very touching that William viewed a photo of his late mother at the Commonwealth War Graves. She may have been gone for a longtime, but she's never forgotten by the people and other countries. No matter what, her memory is kept alive and I think William and Harry appreciate it.
I didn't say they can't because they really can. But I still think this tour might be better this way just so to see William as a separate unit, just like we would with Kate in Malta if that had gone through

William and Kate can do somber and serious. The South Pacific tour in 2012 had several examples including the mosque and the trip to the war cemetery. In NZ, they met with people who lost their love ones in the earth quake. A tour like this is different in its nature because of where it's at. Canada, Australia, NZ are all realms and more informal in nature. While Japan and China are steeped in custom and protocol making this trip more formal. I have no doubt that W&K can handle it and will do so in future tours together as they go to places outside the realms of the Queen.

I have no doubt they could handle it either. That is not at all what I'm saying...

Last edited:
News from China -it's a start.....

China bans ivory imports – what will happen next month? | Wildlife News

Rhiannon Mills ‏@SkyRhiannon 7 mins7 minutes ago
Prince William looks at the photo of Princess Diana at the Yokohama war graves cemetery in 1995

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-0Cq2tXEAAjKxf.jpg

Auch, hit's straight in the heart that one, huh?

William meets Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

Prince William meets with Japanese emperor, empress | Photos | Kyodo News
First- The image of William looking at the photo of Diana- no words.
Second- It sure does. I cried. I miss her.:heart2: :rose2:
Third- Love the photos of Diana. Why didn't the Crown Princess appear in public with her husband?
Fourth- Tall William with the short emperor and Empress. :lol:

Last edited:
Do the men of the BRF typically click their heels when bowing? I'd never noticed this before.
I don't think they are clicking their heels. I think they are making sure to have the right stance. Military style more than Dorothy style :p

Well maybe now and then they think "There's no place like home." :)

It's more standing to attention and then bowing.

RKD retweeted
The Royal Record @TheRoyalRecord · 10h 10 hours ago
W: "I am only sorry that Catherine and George cannot be here in Japan this time, but I know that she looks forward to visiting Japan (cont.)

The Royal Record @TheRoyalRecord · 10h 10 hours ago
in the future. I know that she is following my visit here closely, and would have me pass to you all her warmest greetings." - @MirrorRoyal

I don't think they are clicking their heels. I think they are making sure to have the right stance. Military style more than Dorothy style :p

OK - when Obama did the deep bow to the Emperor (and the press freaked out) he also had heels together. I can find several older accounts of how to bow and they say to have heels together. The click happens when you make this heels together move with energy.
There was also this, about Bowing in Japanese culture, in general: Bowing In Japan [Japanese Etiquette] - Tofugu

Back
Top Bottom