Crown Prince Frederik's Official Visit to Japan: June 12-16, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #24 & 25, 2011.
All written by our correspondent in Japan, Ulrik Ulriksen.

Wearing a T-shirt with the word: hope, Frederik toured the parts of Japan where the tsunami has hit the hardest. Frederik was the first royal, apart from the Imperial family who had been visiting the area affected by the tsunami.
After his courtesy call at Crown Prince Naruhito and the Imperial couple, he went on to the city of Higashi Matsushima, which is located in one of the most severely affected areas.
Frederik first met an elderly couple, Mr. And Mrs. Ogata, who was separated during the tsunami but who fortunately was reunited. They were waiting for Frederik in front of their completely levelled house. After shaking hands with them: “Konnichiwa, Mr. And Mrs. Ogata”, he heard their story. When the tsunami warning sounded they fled, but the water caught up with them and they were swept away. They survived unharmed and found each other again.
Upon returning to their house they found their photo album, which was particularly precious as it contained pictures of their daughter who passed away some years ago.
Then it was off to meet the mayor of Higashi Matsushima, Hideo Abe, who responded to the donations by Danish companies, which were officially handed over by Frederik, with a heartfelt: “Arigato”. At the same time an invitation for twenty children to stay in Fredensborg for a week was also conveyed.

Then it was off to Akai Minami kindergarten, where 75 children were waiting for him. And this is the right element for Frederik, who has a very good rapport with children. He naturally followed local costumes by changing shoes, when he entered the kindergarten. Frederik may not have been able to speak with the children, but he could communicate with them, that worked fine. He sat in the middle of a minor sea of children and sang along to a well-known children’s song. They in Japanese, Frederik presumably in Danish.
The kindergarten has been rebuild with the help of donations from a Danish company and the toys, which were handed out to the children, were also sponsored. In return they gave him a hat made from paper, which he promptly placed on his head.
Frederik told the children: “I have four children. Two of them also attend a kindergarten. And two are twins and five months old. I personally know all the toys I’m about to give you. Because my children play with the same toys at home. When I come home, I’ll tell them about how happy you are and I’ll tell them how courageous you all are, because in my country we don’t have big tsunamis and the ground doesn’t shake like here in Japan. I wish you a lot of funny hours with the toys and do keep on behaving well”.

Frederik the drove in a Danish sponsored school bus, to Hamaichi Elementary School and he chatted with some of the schoolchildren on the bus. At the school the Danish adults played soccer against, what appears to me to be two teams of school children, pink and yellow. The adults lost 2-3, despite a spirited effort by Frederik.

After the visit to the school, he went sailing among the islands off Matsushima, where tourism has dropped disastrously, before returning by train to Tokyo.

Frederik lived with the Danish ambassador to Japan, Franz-Michael Mellbin and his wife Eva. The ambassador said: “The Crown Prince can something, which many others can’t. He has an enormous impact here in Japan”. The Japanese medias were certainly in place and Frederik’s visit to the kindergarten was shown live on one of the major networks.
His visit was featured in one of the popular morning shows, but the emphasis was just as much on how Frederik is as a husband, father and as an physically active person, which they concluded must be the secret of his hot and well trained looks. (*)

But this was also about promoting Danish commerce, not least in the view of the major rebuilding, which is going to take place in Japan. Alternative energy was among the main topics and this is an area where Denmark has a considerable know how. That doesn’t mean the Japanese are behind in that respect, oh no! Frederik went for a test ride in a prototype of an electrical car at Nissan. (**)

The visit ended with a reception at the Danish embassy, where resident Danes had a chance to meet Frederik.
Our reporter noted that a number of giggling teenagers took pictures of Frederik and a couple of female journalists confided to him: “He is very handsome”.

Our man in Japan interviewed Frederik on the train back from Higashi Matsushima. More on that in the next post.

(*) Og ikke et sæde var tørt…. They’ve sure been drooling!

(**) Here in DK there is a 300 % tax on new cars and what is even more idiotic, environmentally sound cars are no cheaper. Result: we drive in older and more polluting cars. Why doesn’t the current right wing government cut down on taxes on cars? And why is there no danger the next left wing government will cut down taxes, I can hear you ask? Because it’s a great money machine! Those of us who live in rural or semi-rural parts of the country (and that means outside the eight or so major cities/towns) have to have a car, so there is no need to cut taxes!

Translation of interview in Billed Bladet #25, 2011.
Jeg vil aldrig glemme det – I will never forget it.
Interviewer: Ulrik Ulriksen.

This very interesting interview took place on the train back to Tokyo.

Q: Describe what you think after having visited the tsunami area today?
F: “It’s overwhelming when you see an area, which has been urban and settled, where there now are only concrete foundations remaining. And also to sense the force which nature can unleash, as it has here. It puts it all in a perspective for me. I reflect on the fact that we humans can’t do much, against nature’s fury. The natural disaster toppled a highly developed society like the Japanese and turned it into a battlefield. I’ll never forget this. Higashi Matsushima, where we have been today, why, it looks like a war zone”.

Q: Does it change your view on live after having seen the devastation of the tsunami with your own eyes?
F: “It certainly does something with my view on life, when I experience people who have survived the disaster and who must no struggle hard to get their normal life back. I met the older married couple Mr. And Mrs. Ogata, whom I talked with outside what was once their house, but which no is only a heap of rubble and boards.
They had lost everything and had to start all over again. But they were strong enough to look forward. Life goes on and you cannot just sit down and think about all the good that once was. You have to look ahead and work hard to overcome the destructions of the disaster. That was their attitude and that I respect”.

Q: You have now, almost without a break, travelled to Mozambique with the Red Cross, to Ukraine with a commerce delegation and now to Japan with projects for support and moral backing. What do you say to Prince Christian and Princess Isabella, when you travel so much?
F: “I tell them that now daddy is travelling again and sometimes you tell them that you can bring things back home to them and then things go a little better. But if you say that each time or do that each time, then they get a little too spoiled, so I don’t bring presents back home each time”.

Q: You were recording with your iPhone when you visited the Japanese children in the kindergarten. Why did you do that?
F: “I did that, so that I can show a little from my visit to the kindergarten to Prince Christian and Princess Isabella. They will have to see that I’ve visited a kindergarten in Japan, and then I’ll tell them that all those children had to rush away head over heels when the alarm sounded and they were told that there had been an earthquake and that a tsunami was coming. I can explain to Prince Christian and Princess Isabella that a huge wave came, which destroyed a lot and forced people to run for their lives. They can understand that. It’s obvious that the scale of the disaster and the terror, which Japanese children and adults must have felt, is something I cannot get my children to comprehend. Children after all have a completely different way to perceive most things. So they will not feel frightened out of their wits by my story. But I will tell Christian and Isabella that their dad has been somewhere where people have had their houses washed away by the water”.

Q: Am I right in sensing that you couldn’t hide that you were very moved by the meeting with the Japanese children in the kindergarten and in the school?
F: “It’s probably quite right that I was moved by the meeting with the children. Perhaps the small children in particular. I mean, some of the smallest children had lost their parents, either one or both, so it’s obvious that makes you reflect on things”.

Q: The Japanese public school children appear very well brought up/well behaved and now you have yourself chosen that Prince Christian shall attend a public school. What thoughts are behind that decision?
F: “The Japanese children are very disciplined, but the stern discipline thing (*) is not something you see much in the Danish Public School system. But of course you wish for your own children to have a good upbringing/learning to be well behaved and schooling and Christian will get that in the school we have chosen”.

Q: There are still after shocks in Japan and in this region after the big earthquakes in March. Is that something you have considered?
F: “I thought about it, just before I landed and I asked about the procedures/what to do in case of an earthquake. I asked ambassador Mellnin and his wife. The ambassadorial couple was pretty calm about it and they even live here with their three children, who are a little older than mine. They were in Tokyo the day the earthquake took place and they took it in their stride even though the quake lasted a long time”.

Q: Will you return back to the disaster area in Japan and follow up on this visit?
F: “That can certainly not be ruled out. But I can’t promise anything. But I will ask about the development in the area and I will wish (well) for the city I and Denmark has devoted most attention to, Higashi Matsushima, that it will be rebuild again”.

Q: Do you think your twins, Princess Josephine and Prince Vincent, are big enough to give you a smile, when you return home from Japan?
F: “It’s coming, but I don’t quite think they are big enough for the smile-thing yet. And to recognise me as daddy. But perhaps they respond to the deep familiar voice”.

Q: What does it mean to you to experience how delighted the Japanese in the disaster area are for your visit?
F: “It means a lot to me that I can make just a little difference. And I’m pleased with the coverage of the Danish media of the visit. But it’s certainly also impressive that both Japanese TV, radio and the press are in place to such a big degree. It’s good that there is put extra focus on the rebuilding of the tsunami-disaster-area (**) and on Denmark supporting Japan. I was impressed that my visit at the kindergarten in Higashi Matsushima was aired live on one of Japans leading networks”.

(*) Frederik is here using an expression comparing it to an almost military style of discipline and drill.

(**) The speed and efficiency of the rebuilding of the infrastructure has astonished people here in DK.

Thanks again Muhler for your translations as always it makes for interesting reading. I think months after this natural disaster people are still amazed at the destruction and devastation. It would be lovely if Fred could go back in a year or two just to see for himself what progress was made.

You are most welcome. :)

Yes, it would be nice with a follow-up.
I thought the interview was interesting as it gave us yet another glimpse into the mindset of Frederik and also into how they bring up their children.
- It can't always be easy to leave your children behind...

Thanks again Muhler for your translations as always it makes for interesting reading. I think months after this natural disaster people are still amazed at the destruction and devastation. It would be lovely if Fred could go back in a year or two just to see for himself what progress was made.

ADDED: Part of the interview from Billed Bladet: http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelig...er turen til Japan Vil aldrig glemme det.aspx
Including a picture of a thoughtful Frederik.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom