The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Other than the optics and fodder for people to complain about, what does it really matter what her clothing costs are? To me, it doesn't matter one bit as Meghan has the ways and the means to afford to buy and wear whatever she wants to and also its a fact that her father-in-law foots the bill for her working wardrobe. Just asking as I'm curious.

When was the last time any of us were out to lunch with the girls or at a function and someone asked "how much did you pay for that (fill in the blank)?" It would have been considered rude. At least in my book it would.

Also for example Diana did wear some very valuable jewels what were only loans from jewel companies. One example her Swan Lake Necklace.

By the time Diana borrowed the Swan lake necklace from Garrards, she was no longer a member of the BRF.

Also other royal houses have jewels made to them but still just loans, for example in Denmark Mary´s Middnight Parure, Marie´s Flora Danica Tiara etc.

That is indeed the case with the Danish, but the BRF have plenty of their own jewels that they do not need to borrow from elsewhere.

The Duchess of Sussex makes a surprise appearance at the WE Day UK event at the SSE Arena:

*Full View*

Meghan is wearing a Blue Smythe Blazer.

I like the look. Beautiful jacket.

The Duchess of Sussex arriving at Kings College, London for the IWD event.

Meghan is wearing a £185 Reiss (Non Maternity) Dress.

https://www.reiss.com/p/swirl-print...edium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=86032|MailOnline

I like the jacket but not the dress. I don't like the print.

The Duchess of Sussex in Erdem (Dress and coat) and Aquazzura Heels at Canada House on Commonwealth Day:

*Full View*

*Side View* *Side View 2*

*Detail Close Up*

*Dress View* *Dress View Front*

I love this look. Very divine and beautiful. A wonderful outfit.

The Duchess of Sussex has changed from her morning outfit, she's in white dress by Victoria Beckham and blue suede shoes for the Commonwealth Service.

*Full View*

*Close up*

I love the jacket and hat but I dislike the dress. I'm not fond of the print.

Having had a glimpse of Meghan's shoe addiction, I would be cautious as to what I see as new, how do we tell? Yes, her black Aquazura's were purchased years ago but you can still buy them. There is the "fast fashion" version of shoes with clunky heels, etc. and there are always, always pumps or court shoes (depending on where you come from) with elegant stiletto heels from wow to vertiginous.

We also don't know a lot about her ordinary wardrobe that made the trans-Atlantic trip. Yet we allow so-called "commentators" to wind us up about her clothes and jewellery and how astronomical the cost of each ensemble cost. We allow them to inflate costs and include items that have been worn before. By sheer dint of repetition, they wear us down to the point where we start to believe that like their gossip, where there is smoke there is fire.

It's all in the way they phrase things. For example, 3.5 million in repairs to bring a staff residence up to "Princely" standards. Sounds spendthrift to me, but restoring a Grade II Royal Residence that had been chopped up into five flats? Now that is a whole other ballgame.

Meghan's short dress received a lot of notice. Apparently, she's not the first to wear something very short.

This image of Diana is very similar in pose
http://www2.pictures.livingly.com/mp/8IXJ8ANfFBDl.jpg

The great thing about Diana is that you can literally know which era of her life a picture was taken by her hair style (and clothes too). This looks like it was taken very shortly before her divorce was finalized or after it (you can see she’s not wearing her engagement and wedding rings). Either way neither she nor the royal family or the public considered her a representative of the queen anymore.
So really not the same as Meghan outfit during the panel.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by csw
Meghan's short dress received a lot of notice. Apparently, she's not the first to wear something very short.

The great thing about Diana is that you can literally know which era of her life a picture was taken by her hair style (and clothes too). This looks like it was taken very shortly before her divorce was finalized or after it (you can see she’s not wearing her engagement and wedding rings). Either way neither she nor the royal family or the public considered her a representative of the queen anymore.

We cannot see her left hand fingers, so we do not know if she was wearing her rings or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw

We cannot see her left hand fingers, so we do not know if she was wearing her rings or not.

From my view l, when I zoom in, I can see enough of the ring finger to tell that her very distinctive engagement ring is not being worn. In fact the entire part is bare, no wedding band either.

But the palace posts a photo of Meghan in a similar pose in her dress. If you go to their official site, https://www.royal.uk/, and click on to "The Duchess of Sussex Joins International Women's Day Discussion Panel, it opens this image, https://www.instagram.com/p/BuwaggvHlQL/

:previous: I think it's safe to say that none of those discussions, critiques and comparisons matter much to the Queen. Let observers and royal reporters worry about these faux 'breaking protocol' needless worries. BTW, Diana PoW retained her full public stature, deep regard and all due respect from the Queen's subjects.

In terms of Meghan's recent nurse-like outfit, there have been additional observations suggesting a connection to Diana sartorially. I'm not that convinced re comparison of the below white outfits:
https://www.instylemag.com.au/media/27117/meghan-diana-resized.jpg
https://www.instylemag.com.au/meghan-markle-princess-diana-white-coat

Although Diana often wore pillbox hats, the white hat in the comparison pic is much larger and it has a more military flair in keeping with the overall look Diana was going for. The swirling braided trim on Diana's military-style jacket does somewhat resemble the swirling chain link motif on Meghan's VB dress, but it's still a bit of a stretch to call them at all similar. The all-over white is the only similarity.

OTOH, I'm quite sure that Meghan and indeed her designers do peruse some of Diana's past outfits for inspiration.

Still, it's probably mostly a coincidence that the below green Erdem coat & dress outfit worn by Meghan seems inspired by Diana PoW's green coat with dark green swirl motif around the bodice and chest area. Diana was pregnant with William during a 1982 trip to Bristol when she wore her green coat by Bellville Sassoon. Diana's coat might well have had some influence on Erdem's design. It's difficult to be certain:
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...5994.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=480:*
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/I..._country_721/dcb01c98f372012b6f5d60e0a53ad26f

Erdem calling the green coat's rose embroidery design, 'Doria,' is said to coincidentally be an homage to Princess Donna Orietta Pogson Doria-Pamphilij (aka Pamphili) of the House of Doria-Pamphili-Landi (an ancient Italian noble family):
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1375039/Princess-Orietta-Pogson-Doria-Pamphilj.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doria-Pamphili-Landi

Surely Meghan seeing the name of the design and then choosing the coat, would not be a coincidence.

Last edited:
But the palace posts a photo of Meghan in a similar pose in her dress. If you go to their official site, https://www.royal.uk/, and click on to "The Duchess of Sussex Joins International Women's Day Discussion Panel, it opens this image, https://www.instagram.com/p/BuwaggvHlQL/

If the palace were to post a picture of her in bikini would you still accept it?

Point is: a private person can do as they please. Meghan is not a private person! She is an unelected state representative. One of the ways to show respect to her rule and to the people whom she represents is by dressing in an appropriate manner.
A dress that you know shows your back thigh when sitting and can create a Sharon stone moment is not the right dress to wear, unless you have covering thoughts on.

Seriously I am younger than Meghan and Harry, yet seem to be able to differentiate between work appropriate attire and private one.
I wear a dress as my uniform, I also wear tights under them because I work in a very luxury and customer oriented environment, it would not be professional for my clients to see my thigh or ass when I sit down.
And by the way, I am slightly younger than Meghan, probably even more liberal her. So believe me, this is not an issue of being conservative in my views.

If Meghan wants to wear upper thigh showing dresses in her own private down time so be it. But during offices engagements she is representing the Queen and her adopted country, showing some decorum would not kill her.

:previous: I don't see that anyone in the royal family is at all concerned though, so I truly wouldn't waste too much energy worrying about it.

Duchess Meghan certainly wore stockings and a much longer dress to the Commonwealth church service with the Queen and other senior royals.

If the palace were to post a picture of her in bikini would you still accept it?

Point is: a private person can do as they please. Meghan is not a private person! She is an unelected state representative. One of the ways to show respect to her rule and to the people whom she represents is by dressing in an appropriate manner.
A dress that you know shows your back thigh when sitting and can create a Sharon stone moment is not the right dress to wear, unless you have covering thoughts on.

Seriously I am younger than Meghan and Harry, yet seem to be able to differentiate between work appropriate attire and private one.
I wear a dress as my uniform, I also wear tights under them because I work in a very luxury and customer oriented environment, it would not be professional for my clients to see my thigh or ass when I sit down.
And by the way, I am slightly younger than Meghan, probably even more liberal her. So believe me, this is not an issue of being conservative in my views.

If Meghan wants to wear upper thigh showing dresses in her own private down time so be it. But during offices engagements she is representing the Queen and her adopted country, showing some decorum would not kill her.

What she wears would be seen as proper work atire where I live, in fact... it might be seen as to chique.. More of a party dress. So the fact that you are of her age, you consider youself liberal and not conservative in your views (whatever that means), doesn’t mean you have the sole say on what is appropriate work attire. Your view on this is just as colored by your surroundings and uprbinging as everyone elses.

. . . If Meghan wants to wear upper thigh showing dresses in her own private down time so be it. But during offices engagements she is representing the Queen and her adopted country, showing some decorum would not kill her.
If you would care to check online, you will see more than enough photos of the last Newbie with upper thigh showing dresses at engagements and you would even see bare buttocks. Stuff happens and what may be a problem for one woman is not for another. Whatever the case, every new royal lady has had her OMG fashion faux pas moment, not just Meghan.

Other then a shorter hem, nothing she has worn is inapprorpriate. Or we could list the royal women who seem to not know how to dress royal. Victoria, Mary, Letizia, Charlene for instance all who have a similar style.

Your conservative uniform is not the norm or the bar. Her clothes are little different then you would see in high end offices across many countries. Its the difference between Kate and Meghan. Kate usually looks like she is dressed for a garden party, and Meghan is dressed for a day at the office. They swap places once in a while in their looks. Nothing wrong or inappropriate with either look. Simply how they choose to look.

And you will find plenty of photos of royal women including Kate, who rocked a very short hem, both pregnant and not. This is not the 'American who doesn't understand British ways'.

...A dress that you know shows your back thigh when sitting and can create a Sharon stone moment is not the right dress to wear..

I am happy you dress as you like.
My point would be that the Duchess did not have a Sharon Stone moment and was, therefore dressed appropriately. :flowers:

And that is what counts! The notion of Sophie and Louise, Catherine and Meghan all swaning around dressed like they are attending a Garden Party creeps me out and would certainly resonate with the people. It would indicate that they were all totally out of touch with the people HM reigns over.

I"d take an inadvertent flash of thigh with more than a little envy at their elegantly long slim legs, over a bunch of totally unrelatable airheads who look like they'd never done a day's work in their lives.

I enjoy their differing takes on fashion and like or dislike their particular styles as the evolve. I'm shallow like that. While they look good trying to do good and having the occasional fashion faux pas (flashing their knickers . . . Please no
commando), it will keep me happy.

Nope, lost me at the huge drooping buttons. I wish she had reworn the green Erdem from the Canadian event, I loved that outfit.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
While I normally don't get stressed about big buttons, I prefer them to be more of a flat style. These stick out too much.

Color is beautiful and overall style. :flowers:

But I hate the over size buttons and that horrible little hat.

Countessmeout, I didn't notice she was wearing a hat, I was just looking at the coat. So I had to go back to see what I missed. I like a beret to be just a bit bigger but what caught my eye on the second look was her handbag. I don't know if she has carried it before but I would really like a better look. So far, I like what I can see of it.

Searching for something positive to say here....

I like the color. The coat is too tight, the buttons look like a joke, and I don't think the beret goes with the ensemble; it's too small and too flat. From a fashion perspective, this is pretty terrible. However, she's 8 months pregnant, she had to get dressed up for a christening, and she showed up, so she gets a pass on all of the above from me.

All eyes are definitely drawn to those big buttons at first glance. They stand out. They just don't look right. However, I just love the color of the coat and in fact, just ordered one (a whole lot cheaper I bet) with a loose fitting style for comfort after having surgery. Easy on, easy off.

Perhaps the beret was a ploy to detract from those huge buttons. It didn't work. :D

(..) Not a fan of the coat...but her hat is nice.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing is a fascinator masquerading as a beret. Not a good look :lol:

I love berets but proper ones. And one the right color for the look as well.

It reminds me of 'Lets make a deal' when contestants wear the little 'mini hats' like little top hats and such. Wayne Brady has a thing for mini top hats. This reminds me of that feel.

Back
Top Bottom