The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(..) Definitely also wish that the dress was at least 2 inches longer, but she still looked nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too short [resulting in an 'eyeful' of Leg]..and vertiginous heels, which cannot be comfortable in so advanced a stage of pregnancy...

Dress is way too short, when she was sitting down it really came up her thighs (..)

I agree!

If Meghan had worn black tights or leggings, it would have been much nicer.
As it is, it's surprising she can sit down in it without revealing everything!

Posts and comments that had nothing to do with the Duchess of Sussex's fashion choices have been removed as off-topic. Thank you for your understanding!

That dress is really way too short. Any dress that exposes that much upper thigh when you sit down shouldn't be worn to a public engagement. I'm surprised that this one made it out the door. That's worse than I thought it would be.

Loved the dress when she was standing and walking but way too short when she was sat down with legs crossed on the panel.

I like the look it projects...but like almost everyone else here, I find it at least 2 to 4 inches too short. It gets by when she's standing ..but not good for sitting/rising.

I like the earrings too!

LaRae

Loved the dress when she was standing and walking but way too short when she was sat down with legs crossed on the panel.

I've not seen a picture yet of her sitting in this outfit but what amazes me is that at her stage of pregnancy, she can even cross her legs. Must be all that yoga she does. :D

So I finally did see a photo of her sitting on the panel. In that respect, I am in agreement that the dress was too short for sitting. She really has nice legs though.
:D

Last edited:
As all others pointed, the dress is too short, especially when she's sitting. But she has a very lovely legs! She looks stylish today, if the dress was a bit longer, it would be a 100% win! (I know many woman that had problems in finding clothes they liked during their pregnancies, they found maternity clothes easily, but it was hard to find a styling that matched their tastes, so I think Meghan is having a tough time too, and it will be harder with time until she gives birth).

Another outfit, another hit ! Sober and very nice as usual !

I've not seen a picture yet of her sitting in this outfit but what amazes me is that at her stage of pregnancy, she can even cross her legs. Must be all that yoga she does. :D

So I finally did see a photo of her sitting on the panel. In that respect, I am in agreement that the dress was too short for sitting. She really has nice legs though.
:D

It raised my eyebrows when I saw it!

I tell ya that yoga the two Duchesses do really works to keep them flexible and strong thru the core! I don't know how she walks on those heels with the belly! :ohmy:

LaRae

I liked the color and pattern when I first saw pictures from the waist up, but yes, way, way too short. She was sitting on a raised dais after all. Came really close to an "I see London, I see France..." moment.:eek:

She looks wonderful & this outfit is gorgeous. Probably not the best length for sitting on a stage - too much bare thigh on show for the event.

That's exactly what I thought. The skirt is too short to sit with her legs uncrossed, and when she crosses them you can see too far up her outer thigh.

But I'm putting this down to "pregnancy brain." You know... the syndrome where you put a dirty dish from dinner in the refrigerator and run the chicken carcass through the dishwasher?

Lol, don't look at me like that. It really is a thing. :lol:

Besides the obvious too short problem and leg crossing leads to unhealthy legs, the pattern on the dress was way too overwhelming for her. The neckline was very good, Blazer nice but unnecessary, good hair

:lol: Go Duchess of Sussex, Meghan!

It's a pretty cool thing I think that most likely the majority of people in the room listening to the panel discussion were not overly focusing on what the Duchess of Sussex was wearing, nor exactly intent on staring at her thighs. :D I am reminded of the summery lightweight, casual, plaid sleeveless maxi dress with generous side slit that Meghan wore on Fraser Island, during the South Pacific tour. Lots of thigh showed when she bent down to greet children, and the world still remained on its axis.

What a lovely print though today. I don't think the pattern is overwhelming, because it is broken up by the monochrome of the black jacket. Meghan tends not to wear prints, but she's been doing so often lately. Plus, it is interesting that Meghan has worn a number of short outfits during her pregnancy, when in the months preceding and immediately after her marriage, Meghan seemed intent on trying to fit into what a new Duchess joining the royal family might be expected to wear. We saw Meghan wearing long skirts and dresses that were a bit demure and not especially her familiar aesthetic. There was the occasional edge with the famous McQueen tuxedo at last year's Endeavour Awards, the Jackie O Halo LBD, and the cropped pants with navy coat & white trim she wore to another pre-wedding outing.

Then after a somewhat difficult summer emotionally, coming back from her birthday and the August break, Meghan appeared in early September at the Hamilton gala charity event wearing a casual black mini-dress. I saw it as a clear statement. By then, Meghan was in the early stages of her pregnancy and she seemed to have begun to feel more comfortable in sticking to choices that reflect more of who she is, rather than attempting to conform or to faultlessly merge her style aesthetic with her new role. Because it's impossible to please everyone, it's best to please oneself.

I think it's clear that Meghan is still evolving sartorially in her new role, but she seemingly intends to be more self-expressive and relaxed about the process, while also having a bit of fun. No one is perfect, and I don't think Meghan is trying to be. As the moderator today said after mentioning the fact that model and activist, Adwoa Aboah (who sat next to Meghan), recently had a Barbie doll issued with her likeness: "Next to Adwoa is the Duchess, who will NOT be known as 'Barbie' for the rest of this session..." ;)

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fashion/fashion-news/a26698277/adwoa-aboah-barbie-doll/
The Duchess and Adwoa (who is mixed African & English aristocrat) have a somewhat similar look physically ...

Last edited:
Everything is a repeat sans the dress - all British too.

I like this classic silhouette on her.

The Duchess needs to be complimented, IMO, for wearing British, and for repeating her clothes, both of which do not seem to happen very often.

I actually liked the look on her, and I think is one of her best looks through this pregnancy.

Tad overdressed? Not IMO, some others were perhaps underdressed.

Love this. The Queen, Camilla, Catherine and Anne clearly got it wrong, but Meghan got it right! ? They really should look to her on how to dress for their royal engagements.

I quite like the dress. I think it’s one of her best appearances

Completely agree with you!

The Duchess needs to be complimented, IMO, for wearing British, and for repeating her clothes, both of which do not seem to happen very often.

I actually liked the look on her, and I think is one of her best looks through this pregnancy.

Actually for someone who has been a royal for less then a year, she has repeated pieces often enough. But I guess when you ignore her British labels when she wears them, you can be excused for ignoring her repeats :whistling:

For instance:

This most recent event:-a Repeated Alexander Mcqueen Blazer
-repeated heals
-repeated Stella McCartney bag

Morocco:
-repeat white blazer from Polo match in 2017
-repeat Jcrew jacket
-repeat maternity jeans

Wider earth:
-Her Amanda Wakely jacket repeated (twice in a short period for this)
-shoes and purse recycle from Louis' christening

Plenty of other examples if you look. Considering she is pregnant, and for the First time, she isn't going to have a whole bunch of maternity clothes laying around to use right now. She reuses pieces that she can at this stage.

All royals wear foreign designers so we'll leave it at that.

Actually for someone who has been a royal for less then a year, she has repeated pieces often enough. But I guess when you ignore her British labels when she wears them, you can be excused for ignoring her repeats :whistling:

For instance:

This most recent event:-a Repeated Alexander Mcqueen Blazer
-repeated heals
-repeated Stella McCartney bag

Morocco:
-repeat white blazer from Polo match in 2017
-repeat Jcrew jacket
-repeat maternity jeans

Wider earth:
-Her Amanda Wakely jacket repeated (twice in a short period for this)
-shoes and purse recycle from Louis' christening

Is that all that you could come up with in 18 months of engagements?

Nice elegant coat by Erdem for Duchess this morning!

A very "DUCHESS" look today. I usually don't like Meghan so buttoned up, but this was the occasion for it, and she looks delightful. I am one who is not a fan or Erdem, but this maternity look I can get behind.

Is it cold in London today? The Erdem coat looks very snuggly and warm. Nice moss green (it suits Meghan, I think) and I like the detailing. What I can see of the dress seems very nice too.

D you think we'll get to see her in a hat/beret/fascinator (you never know with Meghan) later on in the day for the Commonwealth Service at WA?

D you think we'll get to see her in a hat/beret/fascinator (you never know with Meghan) later on in the day for the Commonwealth Service at WA?

She's due at WA for 3pm so depending what time they leave Canada House, I personally would expect an outfit change. However if time makes that unfeasible, a hat/fascinator will definitely be added on.

Green being my favourite colour I can say I LOVE her outfit !

Her hair is not scraped back and this pleases me no end! :flowers:

I love the color and the shape is very pretty. I'm less enthusiastic about the random spots of black ornamentation scattered around. If the black lace/embroidery(?) had been confined to the collar and chest I would like it a lot more, but the bits and bobs here and there look muddled to me.

The dress underneath looks lovely, though, and this is always a superb color on Meghan.

Her hair looks a bit messy in some of the photos.

I'm another who isn't an Erdem fan, but this color is very flattering for Meghan.

Back
Top Bottom