The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-20-2019, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

I don't find anything eco-conscious about spending large amounts of money on designer clothing that is worn once or twice, or even three or four times. Personally, I have no problem with Meghan or another royal wearing designer clothing, and I also don't expect any royal to wear the same thing day in and day out in the name of being ecologically conscious. I'm also not ready to canonize any royal for occasionally rewearing clothing, or occasionally buying from a company that touts itself as eco-friendly, at the same time spending large amounts of money on something that literally will be worn only a very few times.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Majesty

I am incredibly disappointed at the 'usual suspects' who see Meghan's coat as just another opportunity to continue the 'Not British' and Not High Street' supposed moral high ground.

I see a woman with no black coat that still fits and little time to source one. That she probably called in a fashion favour is a given since the market is soo flooded with black maternity winter coats!

As a Kiwi living in Christchurch I was really touched that Meghan and Harry took the time to personally visit NZ House and pay their respects in person to our High Commissioner, a man of great Mana, Sir Jerry Mateparae.

Meghan's coat was deemed acceptable for the event by many of our favourite fashion sites who deemed any further discussion as being insensitive. Why am I surprised to read retreads of the same negative BS. Was 50 dead, 48 injured and untold families destroyed and an entire city in mourning and pretty much the rest of the whole country in shock serious enough to overlook a petty coat?

Old 03-20-2019, 10:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am incredibly disappointed at the 'usual suspects' who see Meghan's coat as just another opportunity to continue the 'Not British' and Not High Street' supposed moral high ground.

I see a woman with no black coat that still fits and little time to source one. That she probably called in a fashion favour is a given since the market is soo flooded with black maternity winter coats!

As a Kiwi living in Christchurch I was really touched that Meghan and Harry took the time to personally visit NZ House and pay their respects in person to our High Commissioner, a man of great Mana, Sir Jerry Mateparae.

Meghan's coat was deemed acceptable for the event by many of our favourite fashion sites who deemed any further discussion as being insensitive. Why am I surprised to read retreads of the same negative BS. Was 50 dead, 48 injured and untold families destroyed and an entire city in mourning and pretty much the rest of the whole country in shock serious enough to overlook a petty coat?
Amen..and thankfully the admins deleted some of the more rude comments. I never even thought of them going to NZ house ...so it was very nice to see them pop up yesterday. As far as the coat (which I liked) goes she can hang on to it for the next pregnancy or even have it altered...or maybe she will send it to the recycle shops like some of the other members of the family do.

LaRae
Old 03-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Majesty

I think Meghan wore the crossed silver feather earrings on the visit to NZ House that she had been gifted by the Prime Minister when the Sussexes were on tour there last year.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I think Meghan wore the crossed silver feather earrings on the visit to NZ House that she had been gifted by the Prime Minister when the Sussexes were on tour there last year.

You are correct.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Perhaps "the usual suspects" have a point.

Wearing a coat that probably cost thousands and is probably unlikely to be worn much again is a complete waste, IMO. And that is even before we address the British or foreign fashion house issue. Sourcing a "high street" maternity coat in black would be an easy win, but I don't think Meghan appreciates the sensitivity around this for the British public who have endured nearly a decade of austerity, or worse, ignores it.

As to the dead and injured, I think that is a complete and utter tragedy and really should not to be trivialised in fashion threads. Potentially expensive designer wear does not make those affected feel any better, or nor make the tragedy go away.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:26 PM
Courtier

The coat she wore is a timeless piece that never goes out of style along with a few others, and yes, you can wear it for years to come even while not pregnant. None of us have a crystal ball to suggest that she won't wear it again. These swing coats look great in the fall and winter with slim fitting pants or skinny jeans. Why don't we wait a few years to crucify her for something that we can't predict.

Edited to add, while the swing coat may not be every one's cup of tea, yes, it is indeed a timeless piece. I still have one from my grandmother that I wear every year on my b-day.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:44 PM
Majesty

(..)

I have no doubt that Meghan's coat was her particular style and it sort of fit although the top button was the only closed one. This makes me wonder if it is a gorgeous swing coat that we will see again because you have to be a particular sort of person, with a particular mindset about fashion, to wear one. I have a gorgeous pale grey swing coat with black velvet collar and cuffs and I will continue to wear it until it disintegrates.

It is not "fashionable" at the moment but then, many of Meghan's ensembles have not been fashionable per se. She seems to wear what suits and what fits regardless of the dictums of the doyennes of the fashion business. (Don't think I'll ever get over that shot of HM and the ultimate doyenne, Anna Wintour sitting side by side at a fashion show. )

The other point of note about Meghan's coat was, the tragedy occurred on Friday so she had a very short period of time to acquire an appropriate coat. It brings to mind the royal dictum of never travelling without a completely black ensemble and realising that at any other time Meghan's wardrobe would have been a sure thing.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:51 AM
Administrator

The thread has been cleaned up again, this is not about the Duchess of Cambridge or any other royal, please discuss the Duchess of Sussex's fashion choices only.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:18 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Is that all that you could come up with in 18 months of engagements?
Her first engagement was in December 2017, that would be 15 months ago, not 18.

Here's a list of Meghan's repeats (excluding accessories), I might be missing a few items:

1. Tuxe Bodywear blouse- ×2
2. Black Altuzurra pants- ×2
3. Black McQueen blazer- ×3
4. Victoria beckhan jumper- ×2
5. Camel Smythe Brando coat- Pre-owned
6. Navy Mackage coat- Pre-owned
7. Navy Antonio Berardi dress- pre-owned
8. White Babaton blazer- Pre-owned
9. Stella McCartney coat- x2
10. Amanda Wakeley Coat- ×3
11. J Crew jacket- Pre-owned
12. Rag & Bone Maternity jeans- x2
13. Navy Roland Mouret dress- ×2
14. Black Givenchy coat- x2
15. Emporio Armani Coat- ×2
16. Black Hatch dress- ×2
17. Erdem print dress- pre-owned
18. Gillian Anderson coat- x3
19. Burberry trench coat- Pre-owned
20. Outland denim jeans- x7
21. Stella McCartney Cape dress- ×2
22. Martin Grant trench- ×3
23. Navy Victoria Beckham coat- ×2
24. Black turtleneck bodysuit- x3
25. Mother skinny jeans- ×3
26. Mother bootcut jeans- pre-owned
27. Black Jac & Jack sweater- ×2
28. White Frank & Eileen shirt- ×2

That's a total of 39 repeats in 15 months. You must also keep in mind that she's 8 months pregnant and has been dealing with a rapidly changing body, which makes rewearing some clothes impossible.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeine View Post
Her first engagement was in December 2017, that would be 15 months ago, not 18.

Here's a list of Meghan's repeats (excluding accessories), I might be missing a few items:

1. Tuxe Bodywear blouse- ×2
2. Black Altuzurra pants- ×2
3. Black McQueen blazer- ×3
4. Victoria beckhan jumper- ×2
5. Camel Smythe Brando coat- Pre-owned
6. Navy Mackage coat- Pre-owned
7. Navy Antonio Berardi dress- pre-owned
8. White Babaton blazer- Pre-owned
9. Stella McCartney coat- x2
10. Amanda Wakeley Coat- ×3
11. J Crew jacket- Pre-owned
12. Rag & Bone Maternity jeans- x2
13. Navy Roland Mouret dress- ×2
14. Black Givenchy coat- x2
15. Emporio Armani Coat- ×2
16. Black Hatch dress- ×2
17. Erdem print dress- pre-owned
18. Gillian Anderson coat- x3
19. Burberry trench coat- Pre-owned
20. Outland denim jeans- x7
21. Stella McCartney Cape dress- ×2
22. Martin Grant trench- ×3
23. Navy Victoria Beckham coat- ×2
24. Black turtleneck bodysuit- x3
25. Mother skinny jeans- ×3
26. Mother bootcut jeans- pre-owned
27. Black Jac & Jack sweater- ×2
28. White Frank & Eileen shirt- ×2

That's a total of 39 repeats in 15 months. You must also keep in mind that she's 8 months pregnant and has been dealing with a rapidly changing body, which makes rewearing some clothes impossible.
To contextualise, perhaps the relevant list is what has not been repeated!
Old 03-24-2019, 11:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Of course we keep a running list of all royal women and the outfits they haven't repeated right?? Its 15 months, plenty of time for her to repeat many of the pieces she hasn't re-worn. Her pre-pregnancy clothes would be hard for her to repeat right now.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Commoner

Quote:
How do we quantify that exactly? Do we create an inventory of everything she's ever worn in public? How do we determine what could/should have been repeated but wasn't ( factoring in variables like type of engagement, season, weather, event-specific dress code etc)?
Old 03-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Royal Highness

I just don't get it. It is their money. They receive a "salary" same as others in the firm that appears in public doing their JOB for this firm. They should be permitted to spend their salary where and whenever they desire and on what [within modest covering] to please both themselves and their boss [only one..THE QUEEN]. I remember quite well all the fuss over Catherine purchasing many expensive clothes first year of marriage also. Prince Charles was noted paying for them all so that she had proper "Royal function" attire. Let us face it, unless already multi-millionaire and in high echelon viewed family in media, no one has proper royal attire hanging in their closet. Now Kate even gets mocked in tabloids for re-wearing many times. I truly believe if all these clothes and their cost upset the Queen greatly, things would change.

I also realize that many have the hobby of keeping track of what is worn, the cost and where & when it was worn and with what accessories. They find that exciting which is their privilege. I even admire their diligence in their passion, but it is still their salary they use [or husband's] just like we use ours. JMHO
Old 03-24-2019, 04:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
How do we quantify that exactly? Do we create an inventory of everything she's ever worn in public? How do we determine what could/should have been repeated but wasn't ( factoring in variables like type of engagement, season, weather, event-specific dress code etc)?
I was only trying to put some perspective around your list. One would have thought that as you put in the effort to carefully list out what items of clothing or accessories Meghan has repeated, you may well a compete list of all she has worn, and therefore, the presumably much shorter list of what she has not repeated.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:18 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I was only trying to put some perspective around your list. One would have thought that as you put in the effort to carefully list out what items of clothing or accessories Meghan has repeated, you may well a compete list of all she has worn, and therefore, the presumably much shorter list of what she has not repeated.
You're just splitting hairs really. Seeing as you laid the initial charge against Meghan, the burden of backing up your claim should lie entirely with you, not me. Feel free to share whatever criteria you used to come to your conclusion. If you think a list of things she HASN'T repeated is the better method of proving how seldom she recycles, you're welcome to compile it and share it.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
You're just splitting hairs really. Seeing as you laid the initial charge against Meghan, the burden of backing up your claim should lie entirely with you, not me. Feel free to share whatever criteria you used to come to your conclusion. If you think a list of things she HASN'T repeated is the better method of proving how seldom she recycles, you're welcome to compile it and share it.
Well said Yeine.

LaRae
Old 03-26-2019, 07:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Funnily, I don't see it as splitting hairs or remotely confrontational.

You have painstakingly listed all the times she has reused items of clothing and accessories. For this number to be more relevant, I presume it is only appropriate that you define the total number of items you are comparing this to. So if for example, does your list represent say 15% of items getting repeated, or is it more like 80%? If you do not want to share that data or you do not have it (which is surprising as I guess you have been through every engagement to get the information you have already shared), then that is your choice. But it is certainly not splitting hairs.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Time to move on. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2019, 06:10 AM
Commoner

Meghan's Recycled Accessories Part 1

1. Aquazzura Deneuve Taupe Suede pump= ×1
2. Aquazzura 'Deneuve' Black Bow Pump- ×6
3. Aquazzura Wedding Reception Pumps- ×1
4. Aquazzura Matilde Crisscross Nude Suede Pump- Pre-owned (×2)
5. Manolo Blahnik Pump in Beige Suede- ×2
6. Manolo Blahnik Pump in Navy Suede- x9
7. Manolo Blahnik Pump in Black Suede= ×4
8. Paul Andrew Black Grosgrain & Linen Pumps= ×1
9. Ralph Lauren Olive Suede Pumps- ×2
10. Sarah Flint pump in Black Leather= ×1
11. Sarah Flint Black Suede Tortoiseshell Pumps= ×5
12. Stuart Weitzman Suede Pump in Haze Beige= ×5
13. Stuart Weitzman Black Nudist Sandal= ×1
14. Tabitha Simmons Millie Black Suede Slingback Pump- ×2
15. Birdies Blackbird Slippers- Pre-owned (×1)
16. Chanel Black Leather Cap-Toe Ballerina Flats- Pre-owned (×1)
17. Rothy's Black Solid Flats- ×2
18. Sarah Flint Lace Up Sandals- Pre-owned (×3)
19. Navy Altuzarra 'Ghianda' Saddle Bag- ×1
20. Cuyana Quartz Mini Chain Saddle Bag- x1
21. Mulberry 'Clifton' Shoulder Bag= Pre-owned (×1)
22. Mulberry Oxblood Zipped Bayswater Leather Bag= Pre-owned (×1)
23. Oroton Black/Cream 'Avalon' Zip Top Crossbody Bag= ×1
24. Stella McCartney Black Shaggy Deer Faux Leather Crossbody Bag- ×1
25. Carolina Herrera White Metropolitan Insignia Small Clutch= ×1
26. Dior Navy Satin Clutch Bag- ×2
27. Givenchy Black Satin Clutch- ×5
28. Gucci 'Dionysus' Super Mini Black Suede Bag= ×1
29. Jimmy Choo Black 'J Box' Clutch- x1
30. Kayu 'Anna' Black Straw Clutch= ×1
31. Prada 'Biblioteque' Saffiano Leather Chain Clutch- ×1
32. Wilbur and Gussie Bespoke Charlie Oyster Silk Clutch- x2
33. Birks 'Bee Chic' Stackable Diamond Ring= ×1
34. Birks Iconic Stackable Diamond Snowflake Ring​- x1