The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 2: September 2019 - November 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful color. Horrific fit in the bodice/perhaps corseted section---seeing a back roll is a big no no for a statement dress like this one. Did she even try it on prior to the day of the event? SMH over this one.
You took the thoughts/words right out of my mouth! I'm thinking she didn't try this one on before the event or she doesn't have a mirror, one of the two. Although, the color is stunning on her.

You took the thoughts/words right out of my mouth! I'm thinking she didn't try this one on before the event or she doesn't have a mirror, one of the two. Although, the color is stunning on her.

ladies I agree completly! all the back rools out of the dress it is a big NO! the color it is nice and the shoes! but the design not my cup of tea!

Terrible top part and the overall design is very unflattering. But the color looks terrific on Meghan.

I love the colour and the skirt. The top part not so much.

How very rude!

Is it any more polite to take a symbol of war dead and stick it in your cleavage?

The dress is unflattering, I personally don't care about the color, but I think her absolute carelessness with the poppy is offensive, and she deserves every bit of criticism she gets for it.

I didn't even see the poppy at first. It blends with the dress. How disrespectful indeed. I'm not even British of from a Commonwealth country but I'd never think of sticking a poppy there in November.

Honestly, she reminded me of the Czardas Queen. It's my favourite operetta of all times. I watched it seven times and stopped counting. The difference is, Silva might have been "dressed to impress", being a performer, but the style and fit was always perfect. Every time. Each Silva. In every theatre.

Thank god they are not longer senior royals of the RF. Could you imagine this dress as working member of the family? She seems to be back at her celebrity style, more skin, less elegance.. just my opinion..

The colour is lovely indeed. But my initial reaction is that the dress is over-styled and really trying far too hard.
I agree that the color is lovely and so is her hair. I was surprised to find out the designer- your description of the dress trying too hard nails it.

The color is lovely, but that's it...The whole style doesn't suit her, it looks unflattering, especially around the torso area. And look at her back, too tight! It looks painful!

Her shape has changed since she has had two children

Not sure I have anything novel to add, but yes the color is striking- Meghan is meant to wear jewel tones. I think I've even said that before on this thread. I liked the burgundy shoes with the red dress as well.

I dislike the top part of the dress, because of the obvious fit and tailoring issues. I know that particular material can wrinkle easily, but it's clear from the back that a good tailor should have been involved. If it was made for Meghan personally, then the design house should be embarressed. This wasn't up to what I expected from Carolina Herrera.

I'm personally not a fan of center slits, because they can cause havoc when you sit down, but to each their own. However, I do like the skirt otherwise- it walked really well at an event where Meghan would be photographed walking.

I think the poppy would have looked a little smarter with a different placement, but ultimately, the design of the top didn't lend itself well to a poppy/broach, and it would look "off" wherever it was pinned. It looked like a last-minute thought, though I seriously doubt it was.

Her makeup is lovely, but I would have gone with a stronger lip color and a slightly less dramatic wing. The ballerina bun was the perfect hair for the dress.

Her shape has changed since she has had two children

Which is pretty common. And she’s at an age when the body’s shape can start to change for both women and men. But I don’t think this is an example of her not picking the most flattering style for her particular shape, but rather that this dress would accentuate any sort of body imperfection and flatter almost no one.

If you watch her move in the dress, it works. She carries it beautifully. All very elegant. She knows how to work the dress.

She should have worn a little flag pin instead of a poppy, given her calls to Senators.

I wonder if the dress is borrowed rather than made for her personally. It does not look as if it was made for her body, either that it was bought some time ago and is on show for the first time.

I wonder if the dress is borrowed rather than made for her personally. It does not look as if it was made for her body, either that it was bought some time ago and is on show for the first time.

Borrowed, or perhaps a gift from the designer? That would account for the terrible fit.

I remember reading that Meghan wasn't pleased (when she was still a working royal) and was told she couldn't keep the clothes that were sent to her.
But of course celebrities have no such restrictions.

Borrowed, or perhaps a gift from the designer? That would account for the terrible fit.

I remember reading that Meghan wasn't pleased (when she was still a working royal) and was told she couldn't keep the clothes that were sent to her.

But of course celebrities have no such restrictions.
Most dresses worn by celebrities on the major red carpets are loans from designers. They're loaned, but since it's to promote both the wearer and the brand that made them, they're fitted and styled. This is for instance why the big French fashion houses fly in innumerable people to LA for award season to make the clothes and the wearer look their best. If this dress was a loan Meghan would have been at least partially styled by the brand.

Last edited:
Most dresses worn by celebrities on the major red carpets are loans from designers. They're loaned, but since it's to promote both the wearer and the brand that made them, they're fitted and styled. This is for instance why the big French fashion houses fly in innumerable people to LA for award season to make the clothes and the wearer look their best. If this dress was a loan Meghan would have been at least partially styled by the brand.

I have no doubt the dress was provided either free or as a loan from the fashion house, as is common for celebrities. Perhaps Meghan was unwilling to follow the styling advice of the brand and preferred to have her own style.

That is a fair reply, why would a fashion house not want their product looking its best on the red carpet.

Having always been intrigued and mostly liked or loved Meghan's fashion sense in all its transatlantic and personal difference of style. I have to say that this dress is weird. The colour was stunning and the voluminous skirt was intriguing and magnificent in motion however, the bodice looked so sparse compared to that it made the skirt made it seem that something was missing or unfinished and I thought it so downright ugly that I cringed when I first saw it. Celebrity all the way flashing a vulgar decolletage and ensuring that she understood absolutely nothing about the nature of occasion, that it wasn't all about her. I just can't scrub my eyeballs . . . they're seared and I am so very disappointed, she used to have such an enviable sense of gala style and easily stood out from the cround.

It's not bad but the sketch looks better than the actual dress.

A very beautiful dress on Meagan. Harry and Megan look very happy.

Lovely colours

I’m so glad that Meghan went for colour in her evening gown, and what a colour, absolutely beautiful. She looked stunning, hair, makeup, everything, and she and Harry looked very happy together. Fabulous to see the two of them again.

This is one of her best evening looks ever.

Nice colors, but I don't care for the dress. It's shapeless really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom