The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 2: September 2019 - November 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 2: September 2019 -

I don’t think it works. I’m not sure off the shoulder really suits her either. Or at least this one. (Boat necks look nice though.)

From some side angles, it looks nice.

Straight on- it doesn’t look good to me.

I think her hair and makeup looks really nice and I always love seeing that stunning aquamarine ring. I’m unsure on the dress- in some photos I really like it and in others the proportions seem off.

It's by Nicolas Ghesquiere, which surprises me because I love his designs so much.

But this dress is just not working for some reason.

The boat band is quite wide, so the bottom edge is quite close to the dress waistband, which makes Meghan's top half look shorter than it is. Which would be fine if she had a long torso, but she is quite short in this area.

It would look better if the boat band was narrower or higher, I think.

But white looks fantastic on her. Not a colour I could ever wear myself :)

I have to admit I think she looks lovely, her hair and makeup are subtle and her gown is strangely avant-garde, but surprisingly, I like it very much on her, especially with the shorter length showing trim ankles.

I have always admired her paired-down style and am always happy to see her in an updo when the ensemble requires it. Too many women lack the confidence to style an updo or are so in love with their hair that it invariably is worn down and spoils the designers intent.

Am I rrght in thinking that Diana wore something similar .

Am I rrght in thinking that Diana wore something similar .

Probably, but then again Diana was a royal of so long she has worn a wide range of outfits. It's easy to pick a dress on Catherine or Meghan and compare it to something similar on Diana. The comparison thing has been done to death on both women.

Probably, but then again Diana was a royal of so long she has worn a wide range of outfits. It's easy to pick a dress on Catherine or Meghan and compare it to something similar on Diana. The comparison thing has been done to death on both women.

Sorry didn’t mean to offend I was just opening a line of chat.

I agree that in some angles it works but in some it doesn't. I actually love it when I clicked the first link, but I'm not sure when I looked at the 2nd pic.

The top part of the Meghan's white gown reminds me a bit of Lady Charlotte Wellesley's wedding gown, which had that deep off-the-shoulder collar construction.

The upper part is nice, but I dislike the gathering at the waist. She has a good figure and the style doesn't flatter it.

I don't care for that dress; it looks as if someone draped a bed sheet around her.

The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 2: September 2019 -

I agree that in some angles it works but in some it doesn't. I actually love it when I clicked the first link, but I'm not sure when I looked at the 2nd pic.

I don’t recall a dress that looked really good from one angle (full length side) and really bad from others- straight on/full length. Up close I didn’t think it worked either. Maybe it was the band being so wide.

Sorry didn’t mean to offend I was just opening a line of chat.

You didn't offend (at least not me), I know I'm not really active here anymore but I am elsewhere and I'm getting a bit tired of people accusing Meghan of copying Diana. I mean with all the great fashion Diana wore it's hard NOT to wear something similar.

Meghan is lovely, the neckline is flattering, the white is wonderful on her, but the dress itself, in some photos, makes her look like a badly wrapped package. I do like the choice of the aquamarine ring as a contrast to all the white, though.

The gown looks good from every angle its photographed. (..)
Meghan is dressed perfectly to attend an Award Event that includes the President of Ukraine (..)

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't offend (at least not me), I know I'm not really active here anymore but I am elsewhere and I'm getting a bit tired of people accusing Meghan of copying Diana. I mean with all the great fashion Diana wore it's hard NOT to wear something similar.

I so agree with you. No matter what Meghan or Catherine wear these days, they are always compared to something that Diana wore decades ago. Same color, same style, or same jewelry. So boring. I often think that those tabloid writers are just so lazy to write proper articles on meaningful things. That being said, I believe that Meghan looked very nice indeed. I still would enjoy seeing her hair, still in an updo, but fuller around her face as I believe it would flatter her so much more than the extreme flat style. JMO The dress style is good for her shape as she does not have a small waistline and this dress brings attention to her neckline and not her waist. Overall, I think she looks nicer than she has in a long time. Sorry, but Harry, not so much. Again, just my opinion. Happy Holiday season to all however you celebrate. Hugs

I so agree with you. No matter what Meghan or Catherine wear these days, they are always compared to something that Diana wore decades ago. Same color, same style, or same jewelry. So boring. I often think that those tabloid writers are just so lazy to write proper articles on meaningful things...

I assume is because of the lack of references to compare them with in the royal family. The Windsors are not like the Grimaldis, where everyone looks as if they fallen off a Paris' fashion runaway.

Diana was the most recent fashion trendsetter in the 80s. Her wardrobe evolved from giant shoulder pads and grandma outfits frumpy to full Vogue glam. And before Diana the other fashion icon was a young Princess Anne in the 70s and her aunt, Princess Margaret in the 50s and 60s maybe 70s when she was a jet setter.

This generation has now two royal ladies of a close age group, Duchess Meghan and Princess Katherine, and when not compared to one another the closest thing will be seen if they match up to what was to be their mother in-law Princess Diana's style.
I'll say Princess Di wins any fashion disputes since her sons' wives are using her hand-me-down property.

Last edited:
I like the sheen of the material, and white suits her complexion. I find the styling of the gown interesting with the boat neckline and soft pleating from the belted waist. However, I think a longer length, perhaps just skimming the floor, would have been more flattering. Not too keen on the black heels .

Certainly does her no favors. Beautiful material, that’s about it.

Meghan's hair and make up are beautiful. The dress is a much better one than the red one she wore months ago.

I like the sheen of the material, and white suits her complexion. I find the styling of the gown interesting with the boat neckline and soft pleating from the belted waist. However, I think a longer length, perhaps just skimming the floor, would have been more flattering. Not too keen on the black heels .

I think the design could either have had the boat neckline or the pleating at the waist, but not both. I can't claim to be a fan of the result.

The Sussex of Sussex out for a private evening in LA this week, wearing vegan leather trousers by Veronica Beard and a nice Carolina Herrera coat:

** Full view ** Full view ** Full view **

It is indeed a very nice coat, and I really don’t mind the leather trousers either, though Meghan does have extra thin legs. I continue to plead for some colour in Meghan’s clothing but getting nowhere, so on the whole I’ll just say that it was a well put together outfit for a fun date night.

I think Meghan looks spectacular here; hair, makeup, skin, everything. And that gown is stunning. The gold really suits her. Plus, btw, the DM in their article on Meghan appearing at this award evening upped the total cost of her clothing etc by including a Cartier bracelet that is a Meghan favourite once worn by Diana.

Last edited:
Beautiful colour, style and fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom