The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think she looks really awful here and that hair heaven help me .. the dress is I agree ill fitting and as far as looking strained I think photos can be see to be or not to be who can say !!!

I think Catherine's hair is great, but at some point she'll end up changing it.

I hope so. :flowers: A short perky cut (a la Charlene) would make a world of difference imo.

The dress itself is a lovely piece but unfortunately she didn't wear it well nor is it a maternity dress. It fitted weirdly around the bust area, tight around the belly. The overall was unflattering and boring. I would like to see the Duchess wearing this when she is not expecting.
Is this a maternity dress? If not maybe that is why the fit is so bad. Very unattractive look for her. She just may have been caught between smiles. It must be pretty hard to smile all the time, none of us do.
No, it's not a maternity dress which explains the fit or lack thereof. At this point in a pregnancy actual maternity dresses are so much more comfortable that I wonder why so many women continue to stuff themselves into regular clothes. Here's the Daily Mail article that shows the dress: Duchess of Cambridge appears to show strain of a busy schedule at lunchtime reception | Daily Mail Online
I see I am not alone in lamenting Catherine's insistance on wearing non-maternity clothes way past when they fit. They inevitably end up pulled at the bust, creased beneath the bump and with uneven hems, the front being hiked up by the bump. All in all it just makes her look generally rumpled, add to that the fact she looks tired and when we are tired smiling doesn't come naturally a lot of the time and having her hair hanging straight around her face makes it look even worse. Even if she pulled it up in a ponytail it would lighten the look around her face. Instead people just keep noting that she looks tired, weary, sad or unwell, all of which could be true but are probably not.

I know a lot of people have commented on it being winter and not summer as it was when she was carrying George, but that is not really a major factor. Most every engagement she is at she is either outside, in which case she needs to wear a coat, maybe a scarf, etc. and when she is inside, like most people, she takes her coat off as it is comfortably warm. Just like thousands of others, she is wearing summer-weight clothing indoors and layers to suit when outdoors. Catherine already has a lovely selection of maternity clothes that could surely be adapted for this pregnancy, any gaps she could fill with new dresses, etc.

I think any comments need to take into account this was a private engagement where the only photo opportunity was a few seconds from leaving the hotel to get into the car. The fact she wasn't smiling in the two pics is a case in point - I think if this were a public engagement with the opportunity to meet people, we would have come to a different impression. Her recent public engagements have revealed Kate styling her hair so it doesn't fall so heavily around her face and wearing pregnancy clothes that hang just fine.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I actually kind of like Catherine's latest outfit. The colours suit her. I think her hair is fine here, though sometimes it can look slightly unkempt. I don't think Catherine needs to change her hairstyle - we all have good hair days and bad hair days.

I agree that she does look tired, but as Mirabel pointed out, since she's nearing the end of her pregnancy, it's understandable.

For the Commonwealth service at the Abbey today, Catherine reused the pink McQueen coat she had used for the 2013 Trooping appearance. A very polished look, IMO.

Loved it. Her second most elegant outfit ever- IMO. Didn't like the hat though.

The color of the coat is nice, but the hat, shoes and buttons on the coat make it matronly. A little bit more quircky wouldn't hurt.

Her hair looks really lush in these shots but I think a shorter 'do would look wonderful.

As always, Catherine is beautiful. She's still pretty small--it's hard to believe she is almost 8 months pregnant.

Regarding the outfit, I like the shoes, clutch (from what I can see) and the color and cut of the coat. I'm not wild about the coat's collar and I don't like the buttons. I've been seeing decorative buttons on dresses and blouses in the stores but it isn't my favorite look.

I love that her hairstyle allows us to see the earrings. :)

Last edited:
Catherine looks elegant and lovely. The hairstyle is very pretty, but I'm not crazy about the hat.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

she looked lovely - I was expecting the pink McQ coat re-worn either at today's service or Friday's. Finally the weather in London is moderate enough that the clothes Kate wore at the end of her first pregnancy may get to be worn. Perhaps the lovely Jenny Packham from Jubilee service will be at the service on Friday. maybe the Hobbs Dalmation coat will make an appearance this week?

I love this soft pink coat though I don't like the hat. The shoes are devine. She looks lovely.

She looks elegant, but hair flowing in the wind, a funny hat and a pretty plain colour. Business as usual I guess.

A brooch would have been lovely on that coat!

I remember this coat a nice maternity look. Even with her height, the hat looks a little fussy. A hairstyle, like french braid would have been nice.

I like this coat. I think the pink is very pretty. I prefer the hat she wore to the Trooping the Colour. That hat looked like a real hat. This one reminds me of the fig leaves you see on old statues. (Can you tell I don't like fascinators?) As usual, I hate her hair particularly the weird bump out at the back. Though now that I think about it, maybe the bump in her hair is to offset the bump in the front.

I thought Catherine looked wonderful today and glowing.

I loved that she wore a color. Sometimes her choices get a little bland and dull.
I do hope she reuses the Jubilee or coronation service Packham outfit- my favorite.

Last edited:
She did look great. I love how her face is a little fuller when she's pregnant.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I loved that she wore a color. Sometimes her choices get a little bland and dull.
I do hope she reuses the Jubilee service Packham outfit- my favorite.

They are going to another church service at the end of this week. Maybe we will see the dress from the coronation anniversary (the jubilee outfits probably won't fit since she wasn't pregnant at the time)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The coat is nice and the color is pretty, but the collar is stopping me from really loving this coat.

I do love her hat and think it looks great with her hair.

Which is great- because now the reuse crowd will be happy. Although, I don't care. I like old clothes , I like new clothes.

I was really hoping she would also repeat her peach outfit she wore when pregnant with George in this pregnancy. That outfit was so beautiful.

I was really hoping she would also repeat her peach outfit she wore when pregnant with George in this pregnancy. That outfit was so beautiful.

Another one of my favorites. Who knows she might- hat and all? BTW, JSYK, everyone - I edited post # 2179.

Last edited:
Love the pink she looks relaxed. The colour is very flattering on her.

The coat is nice and the color is pretty, but the collar is stopping me from really loving this coat. . . . .
I too like the colour but I have to admit that Peter Pan collars look odd on adults. It's a hard style to pull off.

While her hair is asolutely gloriously luxurious, her hair stylist let her down again. The sides were pulled back together but it is not a half ponytail so the half circle has created it's very own bump below her hat!

http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagen...g-off-rumours/0-124-80/prince-charles6--a.jpg

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Flashback: Iraq Service of Commemoration, 2009
i think that dress code for this service will be 'semi-mourning': black, gray, violet (see link)
If the service is 'semi-mourning' that should make it interesting in a "fashion" sense as well.

I liked the hat, best part of the outfit. I also like the pale pink.

American news is already suggesting that by wearing pink she is sending a signal as to the baby's gender. Facepalm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom