The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catherine's pink coat today was lovely and beautifully made - I think she looks good in these bright colours, perhaps more so than darker shades sometimes.

Love the color of the coat and a much more decent length as well. If she'd of had a black collar on the coat it would of matched her gloves...ala Jackie.

LaRae

I LOVE the pink coat. I'm a big fan of the color pink, and that shade looks fantastic on her. (I've also always been a fan of black and bright pink color combos, so I was quite excited to see her in this coat).

I've liked all 3 of Catherine's "coats" worn during this trip. However, I'm a bit surprised that she didn't wear the bright pink coat yesterday to visit w/the children and the black coat today to the 9-11 Memorial.

Anyone else of that opinion?

That's a good point. I didn't mind that she wore black to visit the children, or that she wore pink at the 9/11 Memorial, but having having it the other way around would have seemed a bit more natural. However, the choice may have been made because of the shape and cut of the coats. This morning's weather was quite nasty in New York, and William and Kate knew they'd be outside to lay flowers at the memorial, and the pink coat seems like it provides a bit more coverage.

Honestly I am taken aback by these choices... All new and not particularly striking outfits IMO... I don't know why she chosed to ewear such a bright color for the memorial while she dressed in black for more cheerful events... Can't undertstand that at all

It was a rain coat. And in that color the public could pick her from afar. And even for funerals much less at memorials, black is seen less and less. For example, the Duke wore Blue

It was a rain coat. And in that color the public could pick her from afar. And even for funerals much less at memorials, black is seen less and less. For example, the Duke wore Blue

Actually, I am not sure the pink coat is a rain coat. The company says it is a wool and silk blend but doesn't say anything about any waterproofing. It was however, the only appropriate length she has worn the whole trip. The black and white was supposed to be a jacket worn with trousers but she had an extra piece sewn to the bottom to make it longer - just not long enough. But you are right about seeing less black at funerals. A couple came to my mother's funeral last year in shorts.

OK, People! Let's chill on the color controversy that I seem to have inadvertently caused. Let me put it this way ... would have been nice for the kids if the Duchess had worn a bright and festive color to greet them too. Does that work better for you?

Love the pink coat and I think it is thoughtful so that people,can spot her in a crowd of black, like hm. Also, pink is the color of hope. Her hair looked really cute and love the earrings.
She really has a lot of coats! Does anyone have a count? I'm thinking she could recycle some of the maternity coats she wore with George.

That's the ink blue gown from the Women in Hedge fund dinner at KP right after George's christening.

I think her hair has been spot on for this tour.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I love this dress. Those earrings are beautiful, I can't wait to get a better look.

I've liked all 3 of Catherine's "coats" worn during this trip. However, I'm a bit surprised that she didn't wear the bright pink coat yesterday to visit w/the children and the black coat today to the 9-11 Memorial.

Anyone else of that opinion?

Perhaps she thought if she wore a simple classic coat in B&W at an engagement happening around the same time as William's speech, there wouldn't be as much attention on the clothes and instead where it should be? It was the first thing that I thought of when I finally saw the pictures last night. (I was gone this weekend and staying at a cousin's that doesn't have a computer, so...)

Just putting that out there.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Nice Gown The Duchess is wearing tonight.

US Weekly said on twitter hey wish she wouldn't dress so "Prim and Proper"

Yeah I guess She should dress like Kim Kardashian.... Give me a break U.S Weekly!

An updo and major bling on her ears and wrist! More than compensates for a re-run dress (which is beautiful, by the way!)

She looked beautiful tonight.
Best of Tour- the pink ensemble in my opinion.

I disliked what she wore for the NBA game.
Love today's outfit.
That bright pink is divine and she rocks it!
My only ? - why didn't she wear the pink ensemble yesterday, and the black today? Would have been more event - appropriate , IMO.

Totally agree with you, I think the event today demanded sombre colours out of respect for the victims and the bright pink would have been much more jolly for visiting children. It seems obvious but obviously not for Kate.

Yes I think the pink coat might have been a better choice for the previous engagement, but at least we get to see a brighter colour on this trip. This is my favourite of her outfits so far.

Honestly I am taken aback by these choices... All new and not particularly striking outfits IMO... I don't know why she chosed to ewear such a bright color for the memorial while she dressed in black for more cheerful events... Can't undertstand that at all

You do not measure "respect for victims" by the colour of people's clothes. Millions of people come to this memorial and they wear colour - no one thinks less of them.

I've noticed that even family members of the victims don't wear black when they visit. Life goes on after tragedy.
Catherine has definitely dressed to please herself this tour and my only thoughts as to the pink coat at the 9/11 Memorial is that it was longer and could therefore be considered more sedate. To be honest, I think she would have been better in a more subdued colour because like it or not she is visiting a Memorial on behalf of HM and her government. Had it been a personal visit then the pink would have been spot on.

How I wish she had worn the pink for the children and lots of colour for every other engagement of this visit although I have to admit that I loved seeing her wearing her ink blue Jenny Packham gown and with such stunning jewellery. Her really elegant updo was a welcome bonus.

The duchess owned her look and appeared to own the room tonight! Talk about having a look in which you hold court. Consider my socks knocked off.

And she can keep re wearing that navy gown. It's regal. She's regal in it.

I agree AdmirerUS she looks very elegant and queenly in that dress.

LaRae

Eliza Doolittle... eat your heart out. You have competition.

See my post in the jewelry thread. ;)

Thanks, Skippyboo and soapstar for putting that little meme to rest. :flowers:

I just have to say it: I think this coat is very nice, but in that kind of cold it's meant to have a pair of dress pants at least, or something to complement it on the legs (beyond tights). :flowers: It just is. (Would this have looked better with boots and a skirt meeting those boot tops?)

EDIT: I have changed my mind about the coat. I think Al_bina said it: not well designed. I agree on closer inspection. The back (what is it) belt? makes no sense. So a double strike: too short for the weather and place and meh when it comes to the styling.

Tights don't keep one warm enough in those kind of temperatures. So for me it's not a question of whether the coat is too short. Rather, she is not dressed normally for the weather, and that makes it look odd. She is being ill-advised, I think, or is not thinking through what she's wearing in another country under very different temperatures. Just some thoughts.

Duke & Duchess of Cambridge Visiting the Memorial of 9/11

1- ImageBam
2- ImageBam
3- ImageBam
4- ImageBam
5- ImageBam
6- ImageBam
7- ImageBam
8- ImageBam
9- ImageBam

The pink coat at the memorial is an excellent length to keep warm in imo. She doesn't look so out-of-place with that coat's length either. :flowers:

Last edited:
The Daily Mail had an article about tonight's dress showing the earlier outings at KP and at the NPG. Both previous times, Kate's hair was down and this time is up and makes a world of difference.

The recycled jenny Packham dress looks so much better on this time round with hair pulled up and breathtaking earrings that can be seen properly. This dress sure suits a pregnant women.

Close up ** Back view ** Full view 1 ** Full view 2

The 9/11 memorial coat is very pretty.

Last edited:
The recycled jenny Packham dress looks so much better on this time round with hair pulled up and breathtaking earrings that can be seen properly. This dress sure suits a pregnant women.

Am I seeing things or are her nylons....

wait for it....

black lace looking?

ETA blew the photo up and its not. the gossamer part of the dress made it appear that way to me at first.

Nevermind :D

Last edited:
I didn't expect this dress but yeah, she definetely look better with more weight on and her hair up...

Hair looks stunning up! But I know recycling is the "in" thing with royals but would it harm them to show up something new?! I'm desperate for a new dress here. :lol:

The pink mulberry is expensive for a coat, Mulberry whilst being a british brand has hiked it's prices up an enormous amount and most of their stuff is totally unafforadable without a bank loan!

Maybe because a maternity gown maybe just a one time wear, she didn't want to spend the money on it since this one still fit. The coats can be worn again. I don't remember a true evening gown being worn in the later half of her carrying George. Anybody recall one? I remember a baby blue cocktail one to the NHM or NPG.

This dress fitted her prefectly with her new curves... Loved the updo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom