The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the dress, Kate looks good but she's back to her old boring self.

i find the dress quite nice and suit her figure yet i am not found with grey in general but i can say she looks good on that color.

I think she purposefuly picked a style to show off her baby bump and didnt wear a coat (which could have easily hid the bump) to walk in. After all the hoopla over the bikini pics - she wasnt going to try and put it under wraps so to speak. She knew what they were coming for and she gave it to them - she even laid her hands a few times to highlight the bump. it is a perfect dress; and I like the print and the neckline.

I agree - it's a nice dress for showing off her figure, and I'm sure she had that in mind.

I can understand the print/color being perceived as boring (am not a big fan of grey myself), but I don't think she needed to wear anything exciting. The dress highlights how lovely she looks without acting as a distraction.

Apparently from the 2011 Max Mara collection - wonder when she bought it?

She looks really lovely; she suits the grey/white mix and the style of dress. Why would she suddenly change her style?

I like the dress, Kate looks good but she's back to her old boring self.

So, the dress is fine and you can't find a reason for criticism, but you can't help yourself in calling her boring?

She looks professional, elegant and appropriate, especially given the nature of her visit.

She choose a great style for today's engagement. Nice draping fabric and a wrap style that can accommodate her figure at this point in her pregnancy. The entire ensemble reminds me of something that Letizia or Rania would choose to wear. :flowers:

Its a typical pregnancy style dress though not necessary maternity dress . . . . .
If Catherine had worn this before we knew she was pregnant we would have critiqued the dress on it's style alone and, Catherine being relatively tall and slim, would have looked very professional if not exotic.

I think she purposefuly picked a style to show off her baby bump and didn't wear a coat (which could have easily hid the bump) to walk in. After all the hoopla over the bikini pics - she wasn't going to try and put it under wraps so to speak. She knew what they were coming for and she gave it to them - she even laid her hands a few times to highlight the bump . . . .
I believe you are correct and it did it's job!

Apparently from the 2011 Max Mara collection - wonder when she bought it?

She looks really lovely; she suits the grey/white mix and the style of dress. Why would she suddenly change her style?
I would say she bought it quite some time ago. Let's face it, she knew she would get pregnant sooner rather than later and it's a good "starter" maternity dress and, of course you answered the rest of your own question. Strangely I like both the colour and the style. Grey and white can wash out a lot of women but Catherine is definitely not one of them. She looks lovely and suits the grey/white mix.

As to suddenly changing her style, I don't see it. It has her obligatory deep V neckline which she seems to have made her own style statement to date.
However, I hope she does not emulate Victoria and eschew maternity wear for anything dark, grey or black that takes her fancy.

The one drawback of this dress is that whilst she is really only just showing, the dress is already hitching up at the front and hugging her bottom which is what tends to happen when you are pregnant and wear dresses not made to accommodate the change in shape.

Full view ** Side view ** Upper part

It is a very typical Kate dress especially from her pre-engagement days when she often favoured these jersey wrap dresses with deep v neckline.

Also it is a typical pregnancy outfit as it accomodates her growing bump and is flattering

I suspect Marg is right that the dress won't last for much bump-expansion, since that would pull the rear end too tight. But it's fine for now, and she has a huge dress budget to buy something else to wear a month from now, two months from now. Most of us made do with three or four maternity tops, a maternity skirt with a big hole in the front (covered by the top) and perhaps maternity slacks with a big hole in front.
I agree the dress looks fine on Kate, who has such strong coloring. It looks just like a dress I wore in 1960, not pregnant, very conservative. I am relieved this will be a conservatively-dressed bump.

Perfect choice, I do agree she chose a close cut dress to show that she's just showing. However, since it's not maternity, it should last her another couple days at most. Nice that she added the grey cami under the top as otherwise the v would be a little too deep.
She looks terrific with a little bit of weight added on to her face.

Last edited:
:previous: Food point about the Cami and I think you are right, she does look terrific with a little weight added to her face.

She will also be able to use it after the babt is born.

I like the style of dress but the colour is very matronly IMO. She really needs IMO someone to help her with the choices because she fiddles with things .. nerves probably and the tie at the side came undone at one point .. they had a clip on the news here ...Otherwise I thought it was okay.

Last edited:
Almost perfect! Kate, do something with you hair! Please!
Exept that one thing she's lovely!

What's wrong with her hair?? I think she looks great and has beautiful long hair. From personal experience, for someone with long hair for more than 20 years, I seldom tie or bun up my hair in public. Only at home or for sports, then I will do a pony tail. Why bother keeping long hair if one keeps on putting their hair up. Comparing Crown Princess Victoria who always pull back and bun up her hair too severely for day events, I prefer Katherine's loose flowing curly hair.

Catherine's hair is naturally curly. If she cuts it, it might be harder to control.

In this case, I was happy the hair was hanging down covering up the bodice as usual because the bodice was almost too tight.
Some pregnant women "carry" up top, as CP Victoria did.

Almost perfect! Kate, do something with you hair! Please!
Exept that one thing she's lovely!

Well, Catherine could start wearing it in a nice Princess Royal style - that would cause abit of a stir LOL!

Well, Catherine could start wearing it in a nice Princess Royal style - that would cause abit of a stir LOL!

Hahahahaha! I say she gets a cut and color like Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. About 20 Daily Mail readers will keel over from the shock.

I thought her hair looked great, perhaps it's because we haven't seen her in awhile, but it looked different from how she usually does it.

I vote for Princess Royal's style for most of the ocasions and then change it to a Queen Beatrix's style when the event requires a hat (so that she can also copy Beatrix's hats) :D

Now more seriously,

I'm not one of those that think Kate has such a wonderful hair, bla bla. Never understood the fuss about it. Sometimes it looks terrible, but I agree that this last time it was looking very good

I like this look on Catherine, especially the coat. I'm beginning to think that the woman can look elegant in a paper sack. To add, she is glowing, and looking happy and healthy. I hope that it continues, since the start of her pregnancy wasn't so pleasant.

^ I totally agree. It's funny because we've seen all these pieces separately, but I love them together.

I love her heels although I don't know if I could walk in them especially not pregnant.

Catherine's coat looks lovely- and her fur scarf looks very warm. I like her dress, to. :)

Very good outfit from Kate today. Her coat is lovely and looks pure perfection on her. Her hair and pillbox hat look wonderful too. No complaints about the shoes either. I like the dress but it looks a bit too casual for a wedding, IMO, but the colour of it looked great with the coat's colour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom