The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 10: November 2019 - October 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hair and the updo is gorgeous but I honestly dislike the dress and especially the shoulder pads.
So happy to see that I am not the only one.
The dress is just too much. I think I would like it more without the cape and shoulderpads.

It reminded me of the sort of thing Joan Collins wore as Alexis in Dynasty! Very bold statement - but it was such a big night, and it needed a big dress. Cinemas have suffered so badly over the past 18 months, and this is the first really big film to be released in cinemas only since the start of the pandemic.

Would love to know what shoes she is wearing.
I saw a pic with a view of a ring on her right hand which has a stone which appears to have a colouring similar to the dress. Does anyone know if we have seen this before?

It is a citrine ring she has had since around 2008. She is wearing gold shoes by Aquazarra.

I absolutely loved the dress, but the hair looked kind of messy to me

She Is gorgeous but I don't see really the purpose of such a glittering dress for a movie premiere

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

It's Bond, a lot of people go big for Bond. When the Queen used to go to movie premieres she used to dress to the nines.

There has been a lot of talk about Bond "saving the film industry" and in particular the British film industry. It's also the first big "post pandemic" event and I think everyone wanted to make it special.

The actual cost of the dress (£2800) doesn't seem too outrageous in royal and celebrity terms despite it's extremely eye catching nature.

I absolutely loved the dress, but the hair looked kind of messy to me

I am with you on this. The hairstyle may have been very elaborate, but there seemed to be a lot of loose hair around. Perhaps some hair spray was required.

It is a citrine ring she has had since around 2008. She is wearing gold shoes by Aquazarra.

Thank you Muriel. I thought I had seen the ring before and saw a pic of the shoes in the “Daily Fail”.

It's Bond, a lot of people go big for Bond. When the Queen used to go to movie premieres she used to dress to the nines.

There has been a lot of talk about Bond "saving the film industry" and in particular the British film industry. It's also the first big "post pandemic" event and I think everyone wanted to make it special.

The actual cost of the dress (£2800) doesn't seem too outrageous in royal and celebrity terms despite it's extremely eye catching nature.
I thought it was a bespoke dress! I can not afford that price but it is not o crazy either the price! It is gorgeous and she looks stunning I think her best look ever!

I thought it was a bespoke dress! I can not afford that price but it is not o crazy either the price! It is gorgeous and she looks stunning I think her best look ever!

Well "the actual cost of the dress" may not be the actual DoC dress. I don't think they're retailing Catherine's and I think hers does differ substantially from the street model. JP would still likely sell you a very nice dress for 3000 quid, though.

It was bespoke. The press quoted that price because that was what the Jenny Packham "Margot" retailed at and it's similar to what Kate wore. Later it seemed as if it was a cross between that and the "Elizabeth" gown.

I am not a fan of that dress, but Catherine sure looks stunning! Love her earrings.

The Duchess of Cambridge glamourous in gold at the 'No Time To Die' World Premiere at Royal Albert Hall this evening. It’s a Jenny Packham dress:

** Full view ** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part ** Hair **
This is the fathest from what Catherine has previously worn so kudos for breaking the mould.

I dislike the gown. I find the design too much.
I am going to be the 0.000001% and say I did not like the look at all. The dress looks ill-fitting on her - almost overwhelming her, the dress itself was just odd and her hair looked messy.
Unfortunately I would have to agree. The dress does look a little odd with the extraneous floaty overskirt and sleeves. It quite ruined the silhouette of the gown which was perfect for Catherine's shape.

https://whatkatewore.com/wp-content...t-28-2021-Brett-D.-Cove-SplashNewscom-555.jpg

While this is a pretty picture, it gives a really good example of how Catherine would have looked without the fluffy cape, overdress, sleeves, whatever.

It reminded me of the sort of thing Joan Collins wore as Alexis in Dynasty! Very bold statement - but it was such a big night, and it needed a big dress. Cinemas have suffered so badly over the past 18 months, and this is the first really big film to be released in cinemas only since the start of the pandemic.
You nailed it, it is straight out of dynasty, with stunning glitz and glamour. Unfortunately, Catherine needed a really good makeup job to balance all the bling and that was a fail as the bling around the shoulders shot so many colours she paled in contrast and would have definitely benefited from deeper blush and lip colours.

As to Catherine's updo, it was excellent "tiara" hair, quite exceptional in fact, but the overwhelming gown definitely called for a sleek, shining very elegant high chignon. Unfortunately, it merely added to the overall OTT effect leaving her looking like a Christmas tree decoration. The mitigating factor was that Catherine looked happier and more animated than I have seen her for ages.

Last edited:
It's finally hit me. Ever since I first saw the dress, I felt like I was being reminded of something but just couldn't put my finger on it. The effects of Catherine's dress, to me, kind of had the effect of another "costume" actually in an Amazon Prime commercial. Of course, Catherine's didn't come close to being "costumey" and the dress really flattered her but the dress in the commercial is what my mind tried to flash to for a few days.

I swear it looks like something Cher wore back in the day but if she liked it more power to her.

Well love it or loathe it we are still talking about it. That's for sure .

:previous: And that is the beauty of all the fashion and jewellery threads, we forum members expressing our many and varied opinions and reading others. Sometimes when someone sees something we didn't notice, it sparks a debate on the merits under discussion. That's the way all those threads used to be, full of witty repartee, noticing unintentionally funny things, debating trends, etc. We can be quite satisfied that Catherine, in stepping out of her "princessy" evening gowns and arriving in a show stopper, was totally worthy of much discussion and debate. We haven't had one of those for ages. And as is usual, nothing is all good or all bad. :w00t:

:previous: And that is the beauty of all the fashion and jewellery threads, we forum members expressing our many and varied opinions and reading others. Sometimes when someone sees something we didn't notice, it sparks a debate on the merits under discussion. That's the way all those threads used to be, full of witty repartee, noticing unintentionally funny things, debating trends, etc. We can be quite satisfied that Catherine, in stepping out of her "princessy" evening gowns and arriving in a show stopper, was totally worthy of much discussion and debate. We haven't had one of those for ages. And as is usual, nothing is all good or all bad. :w00t:

Amen MARG Amen!

Apparently the idea was indeed to emulate Bond girl. The dress was part of capsule collection of Bond girl eveningwear in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the James Bond franchise while the hair was inspired by Diana Rigg's Tracy Bond, wife of James Bond, in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) (image)

Revealed: The inspiration behind the Duchess of Cambridge's Bond premiere dress

(Behind paywall)

(...)

It has now emerged that the Duchess’s showstopping dress was based on a design which her longtime favourite eveningwear couturier, Jenny Packham, created as part of a collaboration with EON productions to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the James Bond franchise.

Revealed on Thursday, the collection features eight designs, each one inspired by a different Bond film.

The dress worn by Kate this week is based on the scene in Goldfinger in which Bond girl Jill Masterson, played by English actress Shirley Eaton, is painted in gold as revenge for her betrayal of Goldfinger.

(...)

The Duchess’s decision to wear a dress which is part of her favourite designer’s commercial tie-up with the James Bond franchise underscores the close relationship between the Royal family and the 007 films, a relationship which dates back to the Queen’s attendance at the premiere of You Only Live Twice in 1967, bringing together two of the most quintessentially British institutions. Kate’s support for this collection brings that connection into the modern day.

(...)

Similar article:
Hello!:
Kate Middleton's glittering gold gown really was made for a Bond Girl - story revealed

British Vogue:
Jenny Packham Recreates 8 Iconic Bond Girl Dresses To Wear Now

Last edited:
Well said! That was what made TRF so special.

Apparently the idea was indeed to emulate Bond girl. The dress was part of capsule collection of Bond girl eveningwear in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the James Bond franchise while the hair was inspired by Diana Rigg's Tracy Bond, wife of James Bond, in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) (image)

Revealed: The inspiration behind the Duchess of Cambridge's Bond premiere dress

(Behind paywall)

Similar article:
Hello!:
Kate Middleton's glittering gold gown really was made for a Bond Girl - story revealed

British Vogue:
Jenny Packham Recreates 8 Iconic Bond Girl Dresses To Wear Now

Thanks. This was really interesting. She did plan to emulate a Bond girl.

For better or worse, Catherine stunned, not least because it is the most unCatherinely dress she has ever worn. However, she broke the golden rule of not eclipsing the senior branch of the family.

For better or worse, Catherine stunned, not least because it is the most unCatherinely dress she has ever worn. However, she broke the golden rule of not eclipsing the senior branch of the family.

Maybe not. With standing out as the beacon of a Bond Girl, perhaps other people recalled to mind a different outfit worn by a Bond Girl that, in no way, will ever be eclipsed. I know I thought of her and smiled and wanted to watch the clip once again of that Bond Girl's active role with Daniel "007" Craig. :D

"unCatherinely". Yes, a perfect term to describe it.
As for the eclipsing the senior royal, other than the sparkling, at least it's not as scandalous as that pink gown with a very low v-neck she wore during one of the state banquet.

Then again, everyone say that I have no fashion sense other than "boring", so I don't think I can comment on it

We've seen plenty of gold sequinned gowns on the red carpet before that have looked perfectly lovely. But Catherine looked absolutely Wow!! On this night. The whole ensemble was just superb. Well done to Jenny Packham for producing such a gorgeous gown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom