The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 10: November 2019 - October 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to Part 10 of the thread for The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear!

You can find the old thread here:

** The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 9: November 2018 - November 2019 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Having looked at Catherine's ensemble I have to admit I am in two minds about her headband. It has obviously been styled professionally and provides a deal is bulk behind the band. But I could see her wearing it to outdoor engagements rather than a Black Tie event.

To be honest, I thought the uncommonly intricate coils of her updo at the Cenotaph was sort of wasted when it would have rocked with her gorgeous earrings the night before.

However, I am think her headband would have looked too frivolous at the Cenotaph. Nevertheless, I think it is definitely a really lovely addition to her style file and would love to see it again.

On another topic, I loved to see some colour in the Royal Box. As HM has aged she has settled on black but that was not always the case. Catherine's dress was a timely reminder.

I thought Kate's dress was a dark navy but other argue it's black.

LaRae

It looked navy too me.

I adore what she is wearing ... did someone say the headband was childish? or was that another forum ? I stand corrected it was another ... but here I go headbands have again become he height of fashion I love that she is wearing one and the one she wore to the christening was gorgeous... the navy is still respectful otherwise she would not have worn the colour

I think she looked good this year. I’m on the fence about the headband but I think overall she pulls it off.

Usually DoC and McQueen are a great combo, but I'm not THAT into that dress. Something about the lace overlay and that beige/nude material is not speaking to me.

At least it's perfectly tailored. And she still looks stunning.

Not a fan of this dress and the back is awkward. I like the earrings though.

I agree the neckline is lovely. I wish this had been in a rich colour like midnight blue or emerald green.

The nude effect is .... quite something to say the least.

Have mixed feelings on the McQueen gown and would have preferred an up do on the Duchess.

I'm in the minority, but I think this is gorgeous on Catherine. The combination of the neckline, the fitted waist, the sweeping skirt, and even the beautiful black lace over a nude base are all spectacular on her. Blace lace over a nude lining has been around for decades so I don't see anything startling in that, and seeing her move in this dress is amazing.

Not really a fan, I normally like McQueen on her...but this one is just meh. Maybe a different color ...the nude lining perhaps gives it a too neglige effect? Bling might of helped...needed something for that neckline and something other than a dark earring for her ears.

LaRae

I had forgotten the earlier black lace over nude lining dress. Yes I prefer this too. I am not usually of the opinion she could be more frugal, but two very similar evening dresses where one would suffice?

Lace over a nude lining is always a bad choice to me. It just really cheapens an otherwise very expensive lace. It probably looks better in movement though.

I agree, I prefer the earlier version. For some reason, maybe the thick black banding around the edges, the nude lining is more jarring on this version. It also appears lighter. I guess if it was closer to her skin tone it might look too risque. This has me wondering what it might have looked like with a black lining, but navy blue or gold lace. That could have been interesting and unique.

I think I like the first lace dress better, but this one is still lovely. She looks fabulous in both. I really like the neckline in the new dress. Suits her.

An up- do and/or necklace might have been nice. But - great statement earrings.

She looks stunning!! Great look on her. I love her hair down, it is more playful and not so serious.

I hated the original black lace nude lining dress but it is way better than this disaster. In my opinion the nude lining makes the lace look cheap. The neckline and the way it goes into the sleeves gives a kind of 1930s old Hollywood look (to me) but the fabric choice ruins it. If it had been done in velvet say deep blue or red I think she would look so much better.

Everything is gorgeous except the color. :D

Absolute miss. The nude lining on this dress doesn't work. Looks slightly better in movement doesn't save the look. Lace looks cheap unfortunately.

And would it kill her to have an updo :sad: She can have her 'playful' curles for daytime. An elegant 'attempt' at old Hollywood, calls for a great hair style.

And again a beautiful set of earrings get totally lost in her mass of hair.

The neckline is beautiful but the lace design is unfortunate. Also, why not real jewelry?

What a truly awful dress. Did she butcher what was a stunning original to make this?????/

Last edited:
I'm in the minority, but I think this is gorgeous on Catherine. The combination of the neckline, the fitted waist, the sweeping skirt, and even the beautiful black lace over a nude base are all spectacular on her. Blace lace over a nude lining has been around for decades so I don't see anything startling in that, and seeing her move in this dress is amazing.
I agree. The Duchess was stunning and her dress was beautifully constructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom