Princess Sofia's Maternity Fashion: October 2015 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Personal remarks and the ongoing discussion about whether fashion threads make sense or not have been deleted. This is a place for both positive and negative criticism, but we need to stay within the limits of respectful manners, both towards each other and the people we discuss. Thank you!

It seems to me that Sofia has had issues figuring out how to dress appropriately for some time now, so no pass for being pregnant from me, seems to just be the status quo now. I'm sure she prides herself on her individuality, and she is of course perfectly entitled to dress any way she likes. And I don't believe in banishing pregnant women to purdah or wearing sacks for sure, having had 4 children myself.
That said, IMO a public figure whose current employment is representing her husband and family should consider more closely examining the basic social niceties, such as not wearing skin tight dresses in church or that people usually dress in subdued colors when attending an event within hours of a relative passing away. I get that she probably had this dress made up days if not weeks beforehand, but I'm sure she has a coat or jacket that she could have worn to tone down the light gray of her dress. It would have also covered all the puckering and wrinkling. She stands out like a sore thumb in this dress, which seems to me to be the goal.
IMO Sofia's maternity choices have been every bit as successful and "OMG what was she thinking" as both her sister-in-laws. This particular dress is grey and as such is perfectly proper for wearing on this occasion seeing that she is only related to the deceased by marriage.

However, Queen Silvia's did not get a caning for her gorgeous, but brilliantly bright, sapphire suit. It was obviously deemed perfectly acceptable for the occasion. Had it not been, she has a whole closet to raid to find the perfect demi-mourning ensemble. And she would have had it been necessary!

I believe it is grossly unfair to penalise Sofia's fashion choice on this occasion and ignore that of Queen Silvia. Silvia's ensemble set the tone.

I agree marg the Queen was dressed in bright blue how is that appropriate for mourning. Sofia's dress was fine she has looked o.k for most of her events nothing spectacular just appropriate.

It seems to me that Sofia has had issues figuring out how to dress appropriately for some time now, so no pass for being pregnant from me, seems to just be the status quo now. I'm sure she prides herself on her individuality, and she is of course perfectly entitled to dress any way she likes. And I don't believe in banishing pregnant women to purdah or wearing sacks for sure, having had 4 children myself.
That said, IMO a public figure whose current employment is representing her husband and family should consider more closely examining the basic social niceties, such as not wearing skin tight dresses in church or that people usually dress in subdued colors when attending an event within hours of a relative passing away. I get that she probably had this dress made up days if not weeks beforehand, but I'm sure she has a coat or jacket that she could have worn to tone down the light gray of her dress. It would have also covered all the puckering and wrinkling. She stands out like a sore thumb in this dress, which seems to me to be the goal.

I really don't understand some statements in your text.

You state that she has had some problems with dressing appropriately. I would like to know what you base this statement on. What do you, for example, know about what is considrered appropriate in a Swedish Church?

Do you see anyone else in that church wearing skin tight clothing? And it's not the first time she has worn skin tight clothing in a church. It screams 'look at me'. That is what I'm basing my 'inappropriate' comment on. The color is also too light, the Queen's dress is much more subdued. Also, it doesn't matter if it was a relative by marriage, no one else in the front row wore light colors. It would have been an easy thing to put a coat or jacket on.
I haven't called anyone else out on their opinions which I don't agree with. These are my opinions and I'm entitled to them. I don't feel the need to debate my opinions, thank you.

I don't know where the "skin tight" label is coming from. It is snug around the belly, but there is nothing short of walking around in a teepee that will avoid that. The same is probably true of the bust area.

I don't know where the "skin tight" label is coming from. It is snug around the belly, but there is nothing short of walking around in a teepee that will avoid that. The same is probably true of the bust area.

Not just the belly and bust, but the upper arms, wrists, knees even! Most of the dress is clinging to her. I think around the knee/thigh area is actually what's bothering me the most tbh, it looks like she's hobbled by her dress, something I've noticed with other designs she wears...it looks so inelegant and silly to me. A couple of inches more fabric all around would have lifted the dress so much...I feel like a broken record with so many of her looks, I keep thinking: there's Sofia, standing out again (and not in a good way). Again and always, JMO.

Last edited:
Do you see anyone else in that church wearing skin tight clothing? And it's not the first time she has worn skin tight clothing in a church. It screams 'look at me'. That is what I'm basing my 'inappropriate' comment on. The color is also too light, the Queen's dress is much more subdued. Also, it doesn't matter if it was a relative by marriage, no one else in the front row wore light colors. It would have been an easy thing to put a coat or jacket on.
I haven't called anyone else out on their opinions which I don't agree with. These are my opinions and I'm entitled to them. I don't feel the need to debate my opinions, thank you.

Skin tight? I'm not sure if we're talking about the same dress here. But let's assume that we are. Why would it be a problem to wear a tight dress in a swedish church? I worked in the Church of Sweden for many years, and I don't see anything inappropriate here.

I do agree that she could have worn a coat, but that's just because it's still winter and quite cold here in Sweden. I hope she doesn't get sick.

Frankly, I don't care were you've worked, and trying to interject 'church of Sweden' into the discussion is simply an effort to sidetrack. The dress is skin tight to the point that it pulls, puckers and wrinkles, you have to have blinders on not to see that it is poorly fitted, poorly chosen and messy. My first reaction when I saw it was to roll my eyes and think 'so typical'. I really do try to see the good in her style, sometimes it's kind of okay, most of the time I'm left wondering what she was thinking. Yes, Victoria and Madeleine have had some really hideous outfits, but they're few and far between. Sofia has me shaking my head a good 80% of the time. I think I'll step away from this discussion now as I'm sure we won't see eye to eye and I'm tired of explaining the obvious.

Last edited:
I didn't care for Princess Sofia's Te Deum appearance. While not a disaster, everything in reality was a little off.
- Sleeves were too long. So much bunching!
- Fit was tight (maybe it fit days/weeks earlier when it was being made?)
- Hat with hair down

I've read some pregnant women feel very warm so she may not have needed a coat. Also, I don't think the family dressed for half-mourning. Queen Silvia's patterned sapphire suit was cheery and bright. However, if they did wear half-mourning, then Sofia's grey is still acceptable.

This outift is definitely a hit! Finally a dress that doesn't pull, is too tight or has wrinkles. I'm not sure Sofia has borrowed all the pieces since I don't think Victoria and she wear the same size!

this looks a lot better! it's nice to see sofia and the swedish ladies borrowing clothes from each other :)

I really like that the members of the family share some outfits with eachother. It must be especially practical when it comes to later stage maternity wear - there are not many occasions to reuse them.

I also like that the Queen (I guess it's her) has saved some clothes from Victoria and Madeleines childhood, so that the grandchildren can now wear them. I guess she has saved some of CP's clothes as well - we have to wait and see.

All in all, this is definitely a hit for Sofia.

I also like this blue and white outfit on Sofia - the bow detail is sweet too.

IMO the dress seems to have been altered,maybe the sleeves removed and the neckline changed. Sofia does look great. I like her hair parted in the centre .

The outfit is spot on IMO but the parting in the hair is unflattering.

Good look on Sofia :flowers: The only thing that is a bit odd, is the edge of the pocket showing under the coat but barely notice. Looks great. Though she needs to stop using the middle part, not a good look :sad:

Is the coat also Vic's??? It looks like her white maternity coat, and Sofia just added a blue belt/bow to match the dress under it

She looks excellent, definitely one of the best maternity looks she's put together. I agree the middle part is not flattering, but it's not nearly as noticeable when she dresses like this. When her outfit is 'off' your eye wants to pick out every defect, when it's spot on not so much. Bravo, keep it up Sofia!

I don't think this outfit quite rates a Bravo, but it is one of her better looks. Minus the bow and her hair, this is definitely a thumbs up.

Seraphine has stated Sofia has the jacket so the dress may very well be from Victoria. It's a smart move for all the princesses. I preferred the jacket with the white bow but it doesn't look too bad at all with the blue.

I think Sofia looked elegant and her ensemble well coordinated. Using a centre part for her hair seems to be her signature 'go to' look as was Victoria's straight pulled back ponytail and later, bun. It suits her by not accentuating her very high forehead and as such, is very flattering.

The black shoes do not work with the blue/white color scheme, but overall nice departure from the usual tight outfits Sofia wears.

I don't get the whole borrow. I am all for her borrowing the dress, but then why not go all the way :ermm: What is the point of buying an identical maternity jacket to her SIL?? I am sure the blue belt could have easily be swapped out on Vic's. Why buy the identical jacket?

I really like that the members of the family share some outfits with eachother. It must be especially practical when it comes to later stage maternity wear - there are not many occasions to reuse them.

I also like that the Queen (I guess it's her) has saved some clothes from Victoria and Madeleines childhood, so that the grandchildren can now wear them. I guess she has saved some of CP's clothes as well - we have to wait and see.

All in all, this is definitely a hit for Sofia.

Yes the recycling is a good thing, as well for the pregnant women, that the children. Especially when they are quality clothes. And then it must be pleasant for the queen to see her grandchildren in the clothes of his children.
Very good combination on Sofia, of the blue dress with this white jacket. All suits him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom