Princess Marie's Maternity Fashion: November 2008 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this last gala dress. She looks much better than Mary in my opinion.

I still believe we are being more critical of Marie than it is warranted. It is true she is a member of the Royal Family and an important part of it and from what we have seen so far, she never embarrassed anyone in any way. Perhaps some think the nail polish was tacky and the dress looked cheap and I am trying to fnd a larger picture to have another look at it to see why I do not see what others see. I am aware we cannot get into comparisons between her and other ladies but that black piece of cloth that is under her arm could be part of a maternity bra designed to "hold it all in". I highly doubt she went to a gala with a torn undergarment someone had to sew in a hurry.

I tend to disagree with you. Cattiness abounds in discussions related to fashion and style. There is plenty of criticism aimed at Crown Princess Letizia for being too fond of a particular kind of shoes, Crown Princess Mette-Marit for wearing totally unflattering outfits, Crown Princess Maxima for not being able to have a polished look or having messy hairstyles, or etc. Onslaught on Princess Marie's ensembles is not all that vigorous. Her fashion choice tend to be unpolished. She may take some time to put her working wardrobe together.

Great. Now that we've established that basically every royal is criticized and not just Marie solely, could some members please get back on topic? Discuss her lastest ensemble and not debate whether or not she is picked on more so than other princesses. If you want to discuss the latter head on over to the Royal House of Denmark sub-forum and proceed from there. In other words, please don't do it here in the Royal House of Fashion.

Thanks.

GT
Royal House of Fashion Mod

Princess Marie looks absolutely lovely in her latest evening gown. Deep purples and blues suit her very well and they are colour choices I think she should stick to. Pregnancy certainly seems to suit her well and the empire-line design is indeed a perfect choice for someone who is pregnant.

The two Hollywood dresses mentioned above are far more revealing than Princess Marie should wear, though the sleeves on the Catherine ZJones are very beautiful. They draw attention away from the mid area, which is what she sems to try to do as well in these long gowns.

Purple looks good on her, as does dark blue. I hope with time she will also wear beautiful contrasting colors including dark brown lace over a lighter, or contrasting dress. She is just starting out in this role. Being pregnant as she begins her formal duties has to be taken into account.

When pointing at the dresses in question, I have meant an overall look. The black Versace number is quite elegant and has got sleeves, which tend to look far classier than the recent purple dress. The Donna Karan dress is more revealing, but nicely hugs the body. Given Princess Marie's dresses, I would say that the above dresses would suit her. In the worst case scenario, necklines could be ajusted. ... anyway ...it is just my personal subjetcive opinion.

Going back Princess Marie's fashion, I think that she should have worn something similar to Catherine Zeta Jone's Versace dress Fashion Police Files - or Kate Blanchet's Donna Karan dress Cate Blanchett Photos 2004 Golden Globes on Style.com The above dresses have got the main feature Princess Maries tends to favour in gala dresses: a plunging neckline.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6006/100123060.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9931/catherinezetajones03.jpg

In the first belga pictures Marie's dress looks like it has a dark blue colour.
In other pictures you can see that it's a nice shade of purple.

http://i42.tinypic.com/35brp74.jpg

source: Polfoto

Marie's empire style dress is thousand times better (IMO) than these Hollywood starlet's evening dresses, perhaps because I am French and that's not our style, but I hate this kind of shiny satin dresses with this ridiculous necklines... always the same, without class, it's like in "Dallas or Dynasty"
i hope Marie never wear this kind of dresses, sorry

Yes, indeed. There has been evidence of the plunging neckline with cleavage since her wedding day. Always a tight fit above the waist, and most certainly around the bustline. The New Year's Day evening gown with that enormous fur around her didn't fail to have a deep neckline either. In fact, that was the only part of the dress she didn't cover up.

I think that's why she ran into trouble with the lingerie showing at this last event.

this dress is too tight, i admit, it's not a good choice, but i think Hollywood style is not good for her, she likes simple and strict clothes

In my personal opinion, (1) Rachida Dati and Carla Bruni Sarkozy dress in simple, yet chic and well-tailored ensembles; and (2) Carine Roitlfeld's outfits are simple with an edge. Unfortunately Princess Marie does fit into this category "Elegant French" yet. Hopefully she will in the near future ... I am not calling Princess Marie to wear Hollywood gala dresses. However, Catherine Zeta Jones and Cate Blanchet looked far more elegant in their Hollywood outfits than Princess Marie did. At the very least ... they were able to choose a dress and pull it off. Perhaps ... Princess Marie is a victim of the stereotype that all French ladies have got an sense of fashion...

Could it be that the Danish designers don't have that je ne sais quois style that their French counterparts have? That could be part of the problem. Not wanting to offend, perhaps Princess Marie just goes along with it.

Here's the thing. If she dressed the "princess way" some of the board members are talking about, others would accuse her of putting on airs like they did Mary. You can't win when you are in a public situation like this. And like everyone, mistakes will be made. The difference is the press and some people like to point out the mistakes. I'm not saying they (or anyone) cannot dislike something or complain about it. You either like something or you don't. And that is fine.

Marie is very feminine and girly in her style, imo. She seems to me to like details, like beading etc.

IMHO everyone can dress nicely and feel great and look comfortable "in her skin" and it will show. Some may find the length of a skirt too long/short the dress too tight or loose but the bottom line is that the person who wears the outfit feels "good".
Marie always looks like she feels great. She does not seem like someone who stresses over her wardrobe. With the exception of that silver suit and hat all her other outfits ranged from nice to beautiful. I do not think she needs to dress like a star on the red carpet to look royal.

I personally have never liked Marie, however she sometimes has managed to dress very nicely, but not this time. The gown, in my opinion, looks tacky and the purple nail polish does no good. Hope she improves...

Dressing with good taste, not tacky taste is important in a princess. The purple polish, blue shoes, heavy heels with cocktail dress are examples of less than best taste. In my opinion, it has been a busy, rough year for her, a year of adjustment, and she will hopefully reflect on her clothing as it hits or misses the mark so she can improve, particularly during official events.

Dressing in a classic way that becomes the princess of a country has nothing to do with putting on airs. Often, it is a basic, simple style or cut utilizing material that will not crush or wrinkle easily and colors that are easy to spot in a crowd. All of this in a line that is flattering to the figure. Princess Marie has a very good figure, so there is no problem there. The final details or embelishments are left to the princess and designer.

Aha, now the gown can be seen without the stole!

Beautiful! Especially the length of the sleeves. Don't know why, but they look elegant to me.

The gown seems to be all right. However, the cloth totally ruined it.

I love Marie's gown. The color and cut are wonderful for her and show her expectant mother's figure very nicely.

it is a pity that they didnt wait until after Marie had had her baby to take the new official photos as then she could have had a really nice gown rather than this one which is alright but nothing really special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom