Princess Marie's Maternity Fashion: November 2008 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The nailpolish and the showing bra are NO GO imo. The gown looks beautiful on her, but she should know better than to wear the same colour all the times. I think she needs a better stylist!

i don't like shoulder-straps, but the colour suits her, and the cut of the dress is perfect for her pregnancy

I don't really like purple but the color seems to be a popular color for the Danish Princess's. I think Marie looked nice, dress is ok but the tiara makes up for any shortcoming on the dresses part. IMO

Nail polish is tacky I agree but the dress looks beautiful and the way it falls is nice. the color suits Marie and the embroidery is not too much which just gives some shimmer to the top part of the dress. The color is really nice IMO.

Marie just never seems to get it right. A shame really. The only thing beautiful about this outfit is the Tiara. Even with that said, her hair doesn't do it justice.

the dress is not so glamorus , really but coud be worst, the only thing i really don't like is showing the bra and the neil polish colour, glad s he didn't put purple on her lipstick!

I think Marie is the forums' favourite fashion pinata. I find her whole outfit beautiful and the nail polish is very fashionable and matches perfectly with the outfit.
It seems that Marie favours some colours and she prefers to dress in darker shades that match her complexion. For a lady two months away from giving birth she is mighty glamourous. Go Marie!

Princess Marie's outfit was rather usual: deep decollete paired with her favourite purple colour. However, she should avoid exposing her lingerie.

The lingerie showing could be a gusset sewn in at the last minute to enlarge that very tight fitting, though gathered, bodice. It looks as though the seam had to be rippped open, there was no matching material, so black was used. The effect is awful, just like the sleeves on the trench coat, not royal looking at all.

Enough has been said about the dark nails, so I won't add too much. Getting a manicure is one thing, but painting the nails to go with such a dark outfil is the least classic way to go. Poor, Marie, does she not know how to say no to a bad idea, or is it she who initiates these ideas?

I prefer her long hair done up in giant curls, such as her wedding day and the new year's event. Perhaps there wasn't enough time to get around to that since there were obvious alterations to the dress that had to be taken care of.

The big purse she carried was out of proportion to her size. It looked like she was trying to hide the pregnancy (senseless after wearing the super revealing dinner dress). She would have been fine with a smaller purse, even the one from the new year's gala (though I think it had a pink knob for a closure - maybe she rejected it for that reason). The one she ended up with was way too big for an evening bag for a short lady. I'm confident she'll improve after the baby.

Both the queen and her sister looked like true royals. Simplicity, exquisite fabric, polished look. Mary was trying too hard with the purple satin fabric wrapped around her all over the place. Not terribly refined either, in my opinion.

Marie's dress is nice. I know she really wears too much purple, but still I like her last dress. Hairdo was nice too, going very well with her tiara. Two no-no's: black lingerie showing trough the dress and nail polish color.

Marie could get away with wearing other colors: cream, soft gold, bronze, taupe - she needs to get way from the purple -

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps ... Princess Marie is too fond of the purple because the latter is considered as regal and historically associated with royal wear. ;)

True royals would never think of painting their nails purple as well, royal color or not. If she wanted to appear royal, she overdid that royal color.

Once again, where was Joachim? Didn't he see this mistake?

Obviously not. But why would he have to? She should know better by now! Just an aside, but has anyone else noticed just how thin and gaunt Joachim looks lately??

I am not a fan of most of Marie's fashion choices, but I have to say that some of the comments seem a bit harsh. Her dress isn't the greatest, but it's not the most unflattering thing that I've seen her wear. My biggest problem with it is that it looks like her lingerie is peeking out from underneath.

I've never been a big fan of nail polish and I think that matching it to your clothes is a big no-no. I'm more of a manicure (french if you like) kind of girl. But, in Marie's defense I have seen many other royal ladies wearing nail polish from time to time including Mette-Marit and Maxima for example and I didn't think that it was that bizarre.

I'm very tired of seeing her in purple or shades of purple, but it's not as if Marie looks like someone who was dragged in off of the streets. She can always do better, but for me this wasn't terrible.

I could imagine that the gown was designed to be worn with a certain size of a baby belly,
perhaps with a tolerance for stretching further, but then the gown didn't work like planned,
it stretched a little bit too much, thus the show of the lingerie?

Anyway, I like her apperance a lot! She's radiant and that's more important than having every
tiny little detail in perfect order.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/85...6C5A518E7D4C1AC58022E38AE58C6E30A760B0D811297

Marie could get away with wearing other colors: cream, soft gold, bronze, taupe - she needs to get way from the purple -

Not many women so pregnant like Marie would go for soft colors, it would just make them look biggger therefore I do understand why many go for dark colors. Maybe when she has had her baby, we will see her in lighter shades.

I think lighter colors would was Marie out. As for her dress, I think she looks nice. She was very beautiful. The black material peeking out does not bother me. I don't think it was lingerie. I think it may have been a body stocking that some pregnant women wear when they get further along in term. Sometimes it happens. I don't think it's a major incident or tacky. Just an accident. The purple polish was not my favorite, but fits with her age.

Whether it was gusset or lingerie, or body stocking, they are all tacky, especially for a formal evening. The dress is a great colour and shape otherwise. IMO, if Marie has the guts to wear the strappy gown, she should have skipped the modesty coverings underneath. Just go for it!:angel:

Whatever Marie wears is mosty acceptable (at least to me) since she always looks happy and smiles a lot. A lot of ladies watch every little detail and their outfits may look perfect on a manequin or hanging in a closet, but are either pouty or look like they are bored and the whole appearance is miserable.
Marie made some mistakes but overall she has her own style and always looks radiant and happy to be wherever she finds herself to be. That is what class is all about.

Whatever Marie wears is mosty acceptable (at least to me) since she always looks happy and smiles a lot. A lot of ladies watch every little detail and their outfits may look perfect on a manequin or hanging in a closet, but are either pouty or look like they are bored and the whole appearance is miserable.
Marie made some mistakes but overall she has her own style and always looks radiant and happy to be wherever she finds herself to be. That is what class is all about.

I agree that what you radiate is important for your look, but now she is not only Marie but Princess Marie of Denmark, she is not there to show us how happy she is wearing a sack of potatoes, but to represent her new country. That is why details are important, the royal family is the face of Denmark.

Yes the color was more of the same, but I don't mind the dress much, I even think we can overlook the accident of the bra/adjustment, cause it looks like her bosom didn't fit in the dress well. Is understandable that her body is changing and last minute alterations are required.

The nail polish is terrible, tacky, hideous as you have said I don't even wanna start ranting about it. The purse and the hair do are acceptable I guess, what I liked about the upper hair do is that it gives the impression she is a bit taller than she is standing next to Joachim.

I've said this before in the forums,it doesn't seem that Marie uses a stylist. IMO she goes by her gut (perhaps too sure of the cliche that Frenches are supposed to know couture and style), but it takes her to horrible places.

And the most horrible thing of the ensemble: Joachim's jacket:lol:

HOw would Marie know that her lingerie or body thing whatever you want to call it was sticking out. Accidents do happen and it might have showed when she moved or lifted her arm up and dress moved down abit.

Please leave Princess Mary (& her fans etc) out of this conversation as they are not the topic conversation - that's Princess Marie's Maternity fashion

Thanks,
marmi
RHoF Moderator

Last edited:
I agree. This has nothing to do with Mary. Princess Marie, on the other hand, is fairly new to the royal circuit, has had a very eventful year with a wedding, a new language, a pregnancy, and lots of press, who anxiously await her events. No matter what she wears, she is a very lovely lady, petite, who emanates a glowing smile and, as her pregnancy advances, a true radiance about her. She looks good, healthy, and very happy. Comments are directed at her assembling a working wardrobe that reflects the position in which she finds herself as part of the royal family of Denmark.

She does carry herself well, but sometimes overdoes elements of her attire. This last time it was the bit of black showing under her arm and the awful nail polish that spoiled, in my opinion, any attempt to look royal. I wasn't aware of other princesses doing the same. I think I may have seen deep shades of red, but certainly not purple.

I'd also like to respond to the comment about Joachim, who does look thin. I hope there is nothing to worry about health wise.

I am not one of Marie's fans BUT I do think that she is beautiful. She has a great figure and has carried her pregnancy well. She seems to make Joachim happy and that is the most important.
However, she just doesn't have any fashion sense. She dresses poorly and inappropriately - clothes that don't fit well and she has a yen for tight clothes. Her choice of colors and fabrics and styles is pretty bad.
That is just fine for the everyday young woman, but Marie does represent the Danish monarchy. She should be expected to dress appropriately for the occasion. She is not a teenager any more. What may look cute and endearing to Joachim is not what should be worn for an official event. Even pregnant, she could look fabulous. There are plenty of beautiful maternity styles available.
Any fashion help offered to her should be gladly accepted.

I like the colour of the dress and her hair and makeup look beautiful, BUT the dress looks like she picked it off the rack in a high school formal gown shop. I don't know why but it just looks cheap. Sorry.

Was it the same dress as in the new years gala? as far as I remember it is the same colour scheme.

HOw would Marie know that her lingerie or body thing whatever you want to call it was sticking out. Accidents do happen and it might have showed when she moved or lifted her arm up and dress moved down abit.

:ermm: I don't follow the Danish royals too closely but even if Joachim and Marie lives in a farm house, I would assume they would have at least one full length mirror. Not sure about exactly how royals go about preparing to face the public and cameras, but if any of my GFs are to go by, they would have checked their outfits front-left-right-back, lift the arms, mover around, and do a few turns in front of a mirror (full length or not) before going out their bedroom door. And before they get out the front door, they would have asked several times "how do I look".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom