Fashion for the little and teenage royals Part 15: June 2020 - May 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not seeing the criticism of what Alexia actually wears, let alone misogyny. Some people may not like her leggings, but that's just fashion. People don't like a lot of teenage fashion, but that's not Alexia specifically.

Leonor is pretty purposefully kept juvenile and demure. We don't know how much of that is really her own choice, but that's another line of problematic potential misogyny right there. So all things are equal.

Leonor is modest (...seemingly). Alexia is flashy and more stereotypically teenage girl (almost certainly by her own choice). Neither is inherently good or bad. Both have plenty to discuss.

Aside from it being against the board rules and ethos, I think/hope everyone knows the limits on negativity towards children (not their clothes).

Last edited:
I really don’t like the direction of this conversation implying Alexia is not as well brought up or classy or worse dresses “slutty.” Because she chooses to dress a certain way. It’s verging on misogyny.
No one called Alexia "slutty" or not well brought up. We were having a conversation about fashion as there are limitations because of the current trend (criticisms on fashion and not on any individual). As far as I understand, this is a thread about fashion, and we can criticize clothes (again we're not criticising children/anyone).

I really liked the colours Amalia and Ariane wore during the day. Ariane has really matured!
In general I think it’s great that Alexia clearly likes experimenting with her look, doesn’t mind attention, and isn’t being made to feel there’s anything wrong with standing out. If she’s got the confidence to do that as a teenaged girl, more power to her, and here’s hoping she never loses it. I do have a problem with the leggings at the concert, though - they’re just not appropriate for the occasion. There are plenty of bold, fashion forward choices she could have made that would have been better suited to the event and her family’s role in it.

For clarification: the king, queen and princesses did not attend the concert itself. That was streamed later in the evening. They came by while they were practicing earlier in the day (which is probably why Ariane can be seen wearing a bomber jacket upon arrival).

I really don’t like the direction of this conversation implying Alexia is not as well brought up or classy or worse dresses “slutty.” Because she chooses to dress a certain way. It’s verging on misogyny.
I did not at all imply those things you said about Alexia. I said that she is a lovely teenager.

My own daughter used to refer to available clothes when she herself was a teen as “slut clothes.”

Please read my post #391 more carefully. Thank you.

I think Ariane has coloured her eyebrows. Like her sister Alexia that’s the moment they suddenly look more mature.

The Dutch princesses are all beautiful young women, I’m so envious of their hair! However I can’t help but feel with their fashion that they never quite hit the mark! Lovely elements of each outfit but just not quite there. But obviously style is such a personal thing and others may love their outfits!

I think Ariane has coloured her eyebrows. Like her sister Alexia that’s the moment they suddenly look more mature.
Yes, they look coloured to me too. Alexia began to color her eyebrows 2/3 years ago, making her look considerably older.

I never thought that her clothes were that mature (Amalia dresses more adult-like than Alexia, who wears sneakers and youthful dresses in public from time to time). It's all about the make-up and the facial expressions (she sometimes does that "fish" expression that we see on Maria-Olympia).

Amalia dresses and easily looks 25, with killer heels etc, and she's not even 18. But it suits her. I agree that Alexia doesn't dress in a mature way, at least not like her older sister. She's the rebel of the family, I guess she'll put a thing or two into Leonor's head once they go to school together. Ariane looks like she's balancing out her two sisters, very normal and not a head turner for either reason.

Amalia dresses and easily looks 25, with killer heels etc, and she's not even 18. But it suits her. I agree that Alexia doesn't dress in a mature way, at least not like her older sister. She's the rebel of the family, I guess she'll put a thing or two into Leonor's head once they go to school together. Ariane looks like she's balancing out her two sisters, very normal and not a head turner for either reason.
I completely agree with you :flowers: Moreover, I think Leonor will discover the true realm of fashion in Wales. Unlike Alexia, who goes to a school without uniform, Leonor has always worn a uniform. If there's no uniform code at UWC Atlantic College, then it will be a very new experience for Leonor. Maybe she'll need some "advice" from her peers, and Alexia will be around to save the day :D

Hmm. If Leonor comes home to visit in full make up super cute high heels and mini skirts Letizia will have a fight on her hands to her daughter to wear her old style. I hope Leonor never cuts that glorious hair though. That would be a tragedy.

Since UWC is a Gordonstoun-type school, I'm not sure how much fashion or makeup gets emphasized or encouraged, even if someone like India Hicks, who went on to be an actual model, went to the original. Remember that equally conservative Elisabeth also went to UWC and seemingly didn't come home any different.

I think we all want to make a comedy out of "radically different princesses as schoolmates", but for all we know, they'll studiously ignore each other the whole year. (Or while everyone seems to believe Leo will suddenly mature on her own/with Alexia nearby, I still want to believe Lexi may come home a bit less image-focused...)

When you have a bunch of teen girls and teen guys together fashion and make up will become serious business whether the school emphasizes it or not ;)

Since UWC is a Gordonstoun-type school, I'm not sure how much fashion or makeup gets emphasized or encouraged, even if someone like India Hicks, who went on to be an actual model, went to the original. Remember that equally conservative Elisabeth also went to UWC and seemingly didn't come home any different.

I think we all want to make a comedy out of "radically different princesses as schoolmates", but for all we know, they'll studiously ignore each other the whole year. (Or while everyone seems to believe Leo will suddenly mature on her own/with Alexia nearby, I still want to believe Lexi may come home a bit less image-focused...)
Well, we are just having a fun conversation, nothing more:flowers: But, teenagers influence each other, especially when it comes to habits and fashion. Maybe Elisabeth did not come home any different "physically" (fashion-wise), but I'm sure she gained new habits and learned many things from her peers.

The concert look for the AAA.
https://www.hola.com/imagenes/moda/...s-concierto/0-946-25/holandaconcierto1z-z.jpg
https://www.hola.com/imagenes/moda/...s-concierto/0-946-29/holandaconcierto3z-z.jpg

Alexia wore a black blouse from H&M, and both Ariene and her wore sneakers from Nike. Amalia's clutch is from Marina Raphaël.

Source: https://www.hola.com/moda/actualida...olanda-hijas-zara-zapatillas-looks-concierto/

Meanwhile, let's remember their past looks at King's Day.

2021 / 2020 / 2019 / 2018 / 2017 / 2016 / 2015 / 2014

Did Alexia have a jacket that was matching the leggings?

Did Alexia have a jacket that was matching the leggings?

Not sure it was matching; but you are right that she brought a jacket as well that had some similar pattern.

I don’t think Amalia looks 25 but she’s tall and carries herself well and just seems to be a confident and self possessed young woman.

Both Alexia and Amalia are already making some interesting fashion choices. They may cringe when they look back on some of their outfits in ten years, but I guess that’s how personal style is developed. I think they’ll both be stylish women, and likely never boring!

It's a little bit amusing that (at least for the moment) AAA seem to be falling under the "Blonde, Brunette, Redhead" trope. At least Amalia and Alexia are overwhelmingly blonde and redheaded and Ariane is currently somewhat less of either.

I like the AAA for the concert , But not so much for the Princeday, Ariane with that long dress I do not think it is for her age. I like Alexia age appropriate, Amalia is other story, I think she tries to hide her figure and I do not like that huge pants. they all have a beautiful hair. I must say we like it or not the choice of clothing I think Maxima lets them to be themselves, when you compare lady Louise with them that they are the same age, Lady Louise is so formal, and the AAA are more normal teenager's . I like that

Posts that did not discuss any fashion choices have been removed as off-topic. Please use the General News/Current Events threads for other discussions. Thank you!

Hmm, I didn't like that jacket on Leonor and I don't like it on Sofia either.

It's not the coat so much, but the pattern and colors don't suit Sofia well. I think Leonor pulled it off (and she got more contrast with the rolled sleeves) but Sofia needs (and usually likes) simpler, brighter, bolder. Tweed doesn't appear to be her thing (and also surely Letizia has some slightly more interesting pieces of clothing).

Edit: And while I am it, props to Miss Sofia for her pants and shoes. Those look very nice.

Also her hair is so long right now. Universal princess pandemic trend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom