The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-22-2020, 02:57 PM
Courtier

The burgundy is lovely and a nice change from some of her lighter colors. I particularly like the fabric on the collar and cuffs. Good to see her in a different style hat. I really don't like those bumper hats she has favored of late. She wore some really nice hat styles right after her marriage.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:50 AM
Serene Highness

She looks so polished-everything here is working from the color of the outfit to the accessories, and whoever does her makeup is a genius! Very very flattering overall.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Burgundy really compliments Masako's skin tone well - more please!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-25-2020, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Beautiful kimono by the empress. I assume Aiko is not supposed to wear one until her coming of age ceremony?!
Old 01-25-2020, 01:00 PM
Courtier

Does anyone have any idea as to how the Empress determines whether to wear a kimono or more western attire. I have noticed sometimes when they have foreign guests she will wear a kimono and then for others she will wear an evening gown. Sometimes she is wearing the opposite of what I would expect and I just can't figure it out. It was the same with Empress Emerita Michiko only hers could be more confusing because she would be in a kimono and Masako and Kiko would be in western dress.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Masako looks stunning in her kimono!

Old 01-25-2020, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

The kimono that Empress Masako has been wearing since the enthronement are incredibly beautiful, and I'm happy to see that she chose to wear one to such a quintessentially Japanese event. I'm glad that she is still young enough to get away with the lighter, brighter embroidery colors, before custom pushes her in the more subtle and restrained designs considered suitable for older women.

I'll just say that I find it interesting that she is now wearing kimono more often than she did before the enthronement, and one can't help wondering what that was all about.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
Does anyone have any idea as to how the Empress determines whether to wear a kimono or more western attire.
Maybe the Empress is wearing a kimono here because she is attending a big Sumo wrestling event? A sport that to many is one of the great symbols of Japanese culture. In more general terms, for ceremonial reasons aside, maybe it comes down to preference when she wears Western or Japanese clothes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I'll just say that I find it interesting that she is now wearing kimono more often than she did before the enthronement, and one can't help wondering what that was all about.
Could a reason be that now as an empress she's more of a symbol of the nation and it's culture than she was as a crown princess?
Old 01-25-2020, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Beautiful kimono by the empress. I assume Aiko is not supposed to wear one until her coming of age ceremony?!
Children can wear kimonos so it was probably Aiko's choice to wear Western dress. In the Imperial family, there's a formal red kimono called "御地赤姿" princesses wear during childhood for major occasions. We often see car photos of Aiko wearing "御地赤姿" for New Year family dinner on January 2 and New Year's greetings before she started primary school.

Examples of Princess Aiko wearing "御地赤姿"
New Year greeting 2005
New Year greeting 2006
New Year family dinner 2008
New Year family dinner 2018
New Year family dinner 2019

The formal red kimono "御地赤姿" isn't mandatory though. Princesses Mako and Kako wore "御地赤姿" but there are at least 3 instances where they wore other kimonos: Emperor Akihito's 73rd (2006), 76th (2009), 77th birthdays (2010). Both princesses were still minors, see Japanese blog photos.

Princess Ayako wearing kimono for the traditional rite of passage "Shichi-Go-San" (7-5-3).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
Does anyone have any idea as to how the Empress determines whether to wear a kimono or more western attire. I have noticed sometimes when they have foreign guests she will wear a kimono and then for others she will wear an evening gown. Sometimes she is wearing the opposite of what I would expect and I just can't figure it out. It was the same with Empress Emerita Michiko only hers could be more confusing because she would be in a kimono and Masako and Kiko would be in western dress.
I remember Japanese media reported the Empress sets the dress code and Empress Masako's health has improved considerably so perhaps she's taking the opportunities to wear kimonos. She received much criticism for not wearing kimonos for a long time.

Allegedly Empress Michiko set mixed dress codes at times in consideration of Masako's condition. Masako found traditional dress stressful and that's why there was a succession of Western-dress garden parties whereas the dress code usually alternated between Western and traditional dress (not always, 2010 spring garden party had Empress Michiko & Princess Kiko in western dress and other princesses in kimonos). Also, the mixed dress codes for Japan Art/Order of Culture recipient tea parties when Masako attended towards the end of the Heisei era.

There was grumbling from Crown Prince family fans that the Akishino princesses all stuck to kimonos whereas the Mikasa and Takamado princesses adhered to the mixed dress code for the 2016 Belgian state visit return event.

Kiko, Mako, and Kako: all kimonos
Nobuko and Ayako wore kimonos while Akiko, Hisako and Tsuguko wore Western clothes.

The Japanese media noted that Masako wore a kimono for the first time in 13.5 years at the 2017 spring garden party, see dot.asahi
Old 02-04-2020, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Empress Masako at an international symposium on water in Tokyo yesterday, February 3 - nice strong colour for her!

** Full view ** Upper part **
Old 02-04-2020, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

It looks like a nice mulberry or burgundy shade on my monitor: she looks great in it!
Old 02-05-2020, 10:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Beautiful color and suit!
Old 02-08-2020, 01:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Additional photos of Empress Masako's recent clothes:

The 40th anniversary ceremony of the National Rehabilitation Center for Disabled People and the National Occupational Rehabilitation Center on January 22:

https://diet.news-postseven.com/wp-c...su_08_jmpa.jpg
https://diet.news-postseven.com/wp-c..._01_jmpa-2.jpg

Day 14 of New Year Grand Sumo Tournament on January 25:

https://diet.news-postseven.com/wp-c...su_06_jmpa.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPH0noJV...jpg&name=large

International symposium on water and culture on February 3:

https://diet.news-postseven.com/wp-c...osama_jmpa.jpg
https://diet.news-postseven.com/wp-c...ma_03_jmpa.jpg
Old 02-08-2020, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

The Empress is looking wonderful. I've already commented on the exquisite kimono she wore to the sumo tournament, but it really is spectacular.

The shawl collar on the claret colored suit she wore to the water and culture symposium is especially interesting: it has a little extra detail to it that is not the usual shawl collar, and adds both style and interest to what would otherwise be a fairly standard, although extremely well cut, suit. Whoever is designing her clothing is doing a wonderful job, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Masako always looks perfect in kimonos! She is very elegant and refined.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Masako lovely in light blue at the 'Entering the New Reign of Reiwa Era' exhibition at the Museum of the Imperial Collections on February 10:

** Full view ** Upper part **
Old 02-11-2020, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Masako looks really lovely in this. The necklines on the blouse and the jacket are very becoming, and the addition of the necklace is just the right touch. I love that she wears pant suits often, she always looks wonderful in them.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Empress Masako looking good in royal blue at the International Orchid and Flower Show at the Tokyo Dome today, February 14:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part **
Old 02-14-2020, 10:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Very pretty color on Empress Masako!
Old 02-23-2020, 10:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Empress Masako at the celebrations of the 60th Birthday of Emperor Naruhito

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERd2az8W...pg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERd2YXMW...jpg&name=large

And at the official picture

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERb5ZMFU...pg&name=medium