Empress Masako's Fashion and Style Part 1: May 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to Part 1 of the thread for Empress Masako's Fashion and Style!

You can find the old thread here:

** Crown Princess Masako's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2008 - April 2019 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Last edited:
Empress Masako looks beautiful with her white gown and diamond jewellery - a very simple gown made of the finest woven silk and thus very regal and elegant.

It will be interesting to see if and subsequently how her style as Empress might develop as it did for the Empress Emeritus - particularly in the last 20 years.

An elegant , chic look for the first of the new Empess!!

The jewels are spectacular!

She looks beautiful & serene, and I hope this is a wonderful chapter of her life without too much stress. She and the emperor always seem to be a strong, united team and I hope that continues and serves them well.

Her dresses are simple, elegant, well fitted and show off the jewelry perfectly

Masako looks lovely. Is this a new court dress? I don't remember seeing this one before. And another bumper hat for the greeting to the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita!

Masako looks lovely. Is this a new court dress? I don't remember seeing this one before. And another bumper hat for the greeting to the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita!

Court dress ? Just a white gown, which will be practically the standard color for the Empress' future gowns.

Court dress ? Just a white gown, which will be practically the standard color for the Empress' future gowns.

It follows the standard rules for the Japanese Imperial court dress for daytime for the Imperial ladies: long sleeved, modest neckline, a standard day dress made long, and worn with a hat unless you are the Empress. I'm not sure what is confusing for you.

She looks dorgeous. That tiara is divine.

I have always loved the new Empress's understated, elegant traditional style of dressing.

And that tiara is one of the most gorgeous I have EVER seen!?

A number of off-topic posts have been deleted, please remember that this is a fashion thread, other topics can be discussed at the current events threads instead. Thank you!

It follows the standard rules for the Japanese Imperial court dress for daytime for the Imperial ladies: long sleeved, modest neckline, a standard day dress made long, and worn with a hat unless you are the Empress. I'm not sure what is confusing for you.

Maybe it is a language misunderstanding,. Under a Court Dress I understand a prescribed model dress, for an example for the Swedish State Opening of Parliament before 1976. But Empress Michiko has been seen in black, yellow, gold, purple, red, crème, grey, white, with bare arms, with short sleeves, with long sleeves, etc.

Picture: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/38/2f/32/382f324ca95e758f35f8320a333c8d81--royal-families-crowns.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps it's the same white tie oddity that gives us HM and Camilla sporting white/ceam/oyster silk and satin embossed full length "Court Dresses" and bling coming out (..) for the Opening of Parliament and gorgeous coloured gowns at State Banquets.

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks very beautiful and well dressed. Impressive !

Maybe it is a language misunderstanding,. Under a Court Dress I understand a prescribed model dress, for an example for the Swedish State Opening of Parliament before 1976. But Empress Michiko has been seen in black, yellow, gold, purple, red, crème, grey, white, with bare arms, with short sleeves, with long sleeves, etc.

Picture: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/38/2f/32/382f324ca95e758f35f8320a333c8d81--royal-families-crowns.jpg

I think we are using the terminology differently, Duc_et_Pair. The photo you are showing is for a tiara event, which the original photo we were discussing was not. When the Imperial ladies appear at the Japanese court for most daytime events, they are wearing long day dresses in luxurious fabrics (which seem to sometimes be passed around rather than being personally owned)which they wear with hats, gloves, and carrying fans in a prescribed manner. There are also tiara events where you are more likely to see short sleeves with long gloves and the fans--clearly evening dress. Both are court dress because they are following fairly rigid rules about what can be worn, how it can be worn, and with what accessories. On the other hand, when they appear on the balcony for birthday or New Year's greetings, they will be wearing short dresses or suits with hats, usually again with fans and carrying gloves. Again, all very prescribed.

Edited to add: For those events where long dresses with hats are worn, the only Imperial lady who will not be wearing a hat is the Empress, since she is (theoretically) in her own home and does not need to wear a hat.

Last edited:

Thank you for that beautiful picture of the empress emerita

I think we are using the terminology differently, Duc_et_Pair. The photo you are showing is for a tiara event, which the original photo we were discussing was not. When the Imperial ladies appear at the Japanese court for most daytime events, they are wearing long day dresses in luxurious fabrics (which seem to sometimes be passed around rather than being personally owned)which they wear with hats, gloves, and carrying fans in a prescribed manner. There are also tiara events where you are more likely to see short sleeves with long gloves and the fans--clearly evening dress. Both are court dress because they are following fairly rigid rules about what can be worn, how it can be worn, and with what accessories. On the other hand, when they appear on the balcony for birthday or New Year's greetings, they will be wearing short dresses or suits with hats, usually again with fans and carrying gloves. Again, all very prescribed.

Edited to add: For those events where long dresses with hats are worn, the only Imperial lady who will not be wearing a hat is the Empress, since she is (theoretically) in her own home and does not need to wear a hat.

Interesting. Court dress that is luxurious but according to rigidly prescribed rules seems to strike a dignified balance between pomp and ceremony and the need to eschew the optics of extravagance and celebrity-style fashion.

A beautiful golden yellow silk outfit with sun-burst embroidery - perfect for an Empress!

The yellow silk combination is fantastic, it suits her so well!

It's so warm, positive and sign of a new spring-like beginning!

Empress Masako looks gorgeous. What a beautiful and symbolic dress. It's so lovely to see her in something new, and that suits her so well!

All the Imperial ladies look wonderful today.

Back
Top Bottom