The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-25-2019, 08:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Excluding the sleeves, I like the dress. I love the color.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

The sleeves are very passe now, and I think she really needs a belt or something. Otherwise her hair and the color of the dress really suits her

Old 11-26-2019, 09:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Lovely.

It is good to see British brands like Beulah, Erdem and Jenny P, previously appear on European royal ladies. To some extent, credit must go to the Duchess of Cambridge for bringing attention to some of these brands.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:36 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Lovely.

It is good to see British brands like Beulah, Erdem and Jenny P, previously appear on European royal ladies. To some extent, credit must go to the Duchess of Cambridge for bringing attention to some of these brands.
Though the duchess of cambridge can attract terrific attention on specific pieces, the popularity of theses designers were kind of already established when the DOC chose to wear them... and they had already plenty of very big name star customers. The DOC is of course a great influence in mode but I don't think that these ladies (especially the so trendy Mary) waited for her to go have a look at British designers
Old 11-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not a huge fan of the sleeves--if it were me I'd be constantly dragging them through the butter dish--but if anyone can carry them off, it's Mary. She looks beautiful, as usual. She's consistently one of the best dressed royal women.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJudith View Post
Though the duchess of cambridge can attract terrific attention on specific pieces, the popularity of theses designers were kind of already established when the DOC chose to wear them... and they had already plenty of very big name star customers. The DOC is of course a great influence in mode but I don't think that these ladies (especially the so trendy Mary) waited for her to go have a look at British designers

I am happy to be proven wrong, but I am not sure I had seen any of these brands on a European royal before 2011.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the sleeves--if it were me I'd be constantly dragging them through the butter dish--but if anyone can carry them off, it's Mary. She looks beautiful, as usual. She's consistently one of the best dressed royal women.

I agree, Mary has a natural elegance and impeccable taste, so she usually gets it right.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:54 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am happy to be proven wrong, but I am not sure I had seen any of these brands on a European royal before 2011.
I could not tell you but great celebrities and politicians were wearing them before that on red carpet (keira knightley, Gwyneth paltrow, Michelle Obama, Samantha Cameron amongst others were wearing erdem back in 2009/2010, Sarah jessica Parker, Sienna Miller were seen in Beulah early 2011, Angelina Jolie, Sandra Bullock for JP..) so it seems a bit farfetched that Mary and other european princesses would miss out such new trendy brands and wait only for Kate to discover them.. (Erdem is a canadian brand by the way). Kate effect exists of course but sometimes the development of a brand is only due to its own great managing skills. For example, erdem is very developed in Sweden and has done a capsule with H&M. Of course Victoria was going to wear some of it as she does with almost all the H&M capsule collection but it has nothing to do with Kate... I think this big marketing coup was tremendous in pushing the brand in the northern courts.

Well in a nutshell, maybe (or maybe not ? I don't really have time to look through a lot of pictures) european princesses were seen in these designers after Kate but honestly these brands have been getting bigger and bigger by the days, it was only normal that they infiltrate more and more the wardrobe of other princesses. Is it thanks to Kate that these brands got so big? I would really not say that, Kate wore them because they were already very trendy, it is not because Kate wore them that they became so.

I am not trying to diminish Kate influence in mode but even I, who doesn't have the means to buy these types of dresses, knew these brands before Kate's first trip in America back in 2011 from the magazines. I am pretty sure Erdem received some kind of big prize in the late 200's...

So really for these cases, I would skip ... If you were talking about issa, Lk Bennet, I would say that she definitely pushed theses brands higher/made them trendier than they used to be
Old 11-26-2019, 05:07 PM
Majesty

maybe not erdem which has been a established brand for long, but beulah and jenny packam were rather unheard and niche before kate started wearing them. that is not to say that other european ladies would not have discovered these brands if kate wasn't in the picture, but the fact that we saw more european royals wearing these brands after kate had done makes me think there was a bit of the kate effect going on.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Commoner

Beulah was founded in 2011 so it is a bit hard to make statistics but it had already reached the red carpets across the ocean.
In 2013 Jenny Packham was invited to present an exhibition at the V&A for its 25th anniversary and in 2010 it made the vogue cover so the brand must already have been something
Old 11-27-2019, 07:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
(Erdem is a canadian brand by the way). Kate effect exists of course but sometimes the development of a brand is only due to its own great managing skills.
The Erdem business is based in the UK and was founded here in 2005. Erdem Moralioglu is half Turkish, half English, and grew up in the UK and in Canada, before returning to start his business in the UK.

Quote:
I could not tell you but great celebrities and politicians were wearing them before that on red carpet (keira knightley, Gwyneth paltrow, Michelle Obama, Samantha Cameron amongst others were wearing erdem back in 2009/2010, Sarah jessica Parker, Sienna Miller were seen in Beulah early 2011, Angelina Jolie, Sandra Bullock for JP..) so it seems a bit farfetched that Mary and other european princesses would miss out such new trendy brands and wait only for Kate to discover them..
It may well be that some US celebrities and wives of politicians may well have been wearing brands like Erdem prior to 2011, but my point remains, I do not believe any European royal ladies were.

Similarly for Jenny Packham. The business had been around for many years, but its substantial expansion, the establishment of its atelier on Mount Street and inroads into the wardrobes of European royal ladies all seem to have happened in this decade.

I agree with you in that whilst it is not only just down to Kate wearing these brands, but my opinion remains that the extra visibility that her patronage of these brands gets goes a long way in lifting their profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
maybe not erdem which has been a established brand for long, but beulah and jenny packam were rather unheard and niche before kate started wearing them. that is not to say that other european ladies would not have discovered these brands if kate wasn't in the picture, but the fact that we saw more european royals wearing these brands after kate had done makes me think there was a bit of the kate effect going on.
Indeed.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

CP Mary tonoght ib Indonesia attend at the Celebration of the 70th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Denmark and Indonesia

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EK33Gz-UcAM6N-D.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EK3ifp8UEAAqp17.jpg

Repeat her Etro dress

https://www.newidea.com.au/media/671...center=0.0,0.0
Old 12-03-2019, 12:38 PM
Majesty

Beautiful dress!
the color works great on her.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:08 AM
Majesty

Love the dress and shoes. Loathe the bumpy bouffant hairdo!
Old 12-04-2019, 04:13 PM
Royal Highness

I liked the dress the first time around and it still looks great on her.

The hairstyle looks better from a distance than close up. When I zoomed in on the first photo and saw the details I wasn’t really keen on how the front and back parts of her hair have been divided. But then I assume most people she met in person weren’t zooming in so they could get a better look at her hair. Or at least hopefully they weren’t! :)
Old 12-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Royal Highness

I’m not keen on this evening dress, not one of her better outfits.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Crown Princess Mary at the first New Year's reception this evening, January 1:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Upper part **
Old 01-01-2020, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Mary looks gorgeous! I love this gown on her.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Courtier

Agree , Mary looks wonderful the gown together with the jewels, stunning.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Serene Highness

She looks beautiful. The velvet and rich color makes it so festive.