Crown Princess Mary's Eveningwear Part 19: November 2018 - November 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely.

It is good to see British brands like Beulah, Erdem and Jenny P, previously appear on European royal ladies. To some extent, credit must go to the Duchess of Cambridge for bringing attention to some of these brands.

Though the duchess of cambridge can attract terrific attention on specific pieces, the popularity of theses designers were kind of already established when the DOC chose to wear them... and they had already plenty of very big name star customers. The DOC is of course a great influence in mode but I don't think that these ladies (especially the so trendy Mary) waited for her to go have a look at British designers

I'm not a huge fan of the sleeves--if it were me I'd be constantly dragging them through the butter dish--but if anyone can carry them off, it's Mary. She looks beautiful, as usual. She's consistently one of the best dressed royal women.

Though the duchess of cambridge can attract terrific attention on specific pieces, the popularity of theses designers were kind of already established when the DOC chose to wear them... and they had already plenty of very big name star customers. The DOC is of course a great influence in mode but I don't think that these ladies (especially the so trendy Mary) waited for her to go have a look at British designers

I am happy to be proven wrong, but I am not sure I had seen any of these brands on a European royal before 2011.

I'm not a huge fan of the sleeves--if it were me I'd be constantly dragging them through the butter dish--but if anyone can carry them off, it's Mary. She looks beautiful, as usual. She's consistently one of the best dressed royal women.

I agree, Mary has a natural elegance and impeccable taste, so she usually gets it right.

I am happy to be proven wrong, but I am not sure I had seen any of these brands on a European royal before 2011.

I could not tell you but great celebrities and politicians were wearing them before that on red carpet (keira knightley, Gwyneth paltrow, Michelle Obama, Samantha Cameron amongst others were wearing erdem back in 2009/2010, Sarah jessica Parker, Sienna Miller were seen in Beulah early 2011, Angelina Jolie, Sandra Bullock for JP..) so it seems a bit farfetched that Mary and other european princesses would miss out such new trendy brands and wait only for Kate to discover them.. (Erdem is a canadian brand by the way). Kate effect exists of course but sometimes the development of a brand is only due to its own great managing skills. For example, erdem is very developed in Sweden and has done a capsule with H&M. Of course Victoria was going to wear some of it as she does with almost all the H&M capsule collection but it has nothing to do with Kate... I think this big marketing coup was tremendous in pushing the brand in the northern courts.

Well in a nutshell, maybe (or maybe not ? I don't really have time to look through a lot of pictures) european princesses were seen in these designers after Kate but honestly these brands have been getting bigger and bigger by the days, it was only normal that they infiltrate more and more the wardrobe of other princesses. Is it thanks to Kate that these brands got so big? I would really not say that, Kate wore them because they were already very trendy, it is not because Kate wore them that they became so.

I am not trying to diminish Kate influence in mode but even I, who doesn't have the means to buy these types of dresses, knew these brands before Kate's first trip in America back in 2011 from the magazines. I am pretty sure Erdem received some kind of big prize in the late 200's...

So really for these cases, I would skip ... If you were talking about issa, Lk Bennet, I would say that she definitely pushed theses brands higher/made them trendier than they used to be

maybe not erdem which has been a established brand for long, but beulah and jenny packam were rather unheard and niche before kate started wearing them. that is not to say that other european ladies would not have discovered these brands if kate wasn't in the picture, but the fact that we saw more european royals wearing these brands after kate had done makes me think there was a bit of the kate effect going on.

Beulah was founded in 2011 so it is a bit hard to make statistics but it had already reached the red carpets across the ocean.
In 2013 Jenny Packham was invited to present an exhibition at the V&A for its 25th anniversary and in 2010 it made the vogue cover so the brand must already have been something

Last edited:
(Erdem is a canadian brand by the way). Kate effect exists of course but sometimes the development of a brand is only due to its own great managing skills.

The Erdem business is based in the UK and was founded here in 2005. Erdem Moralioglu is half Turkish, half English, and grew up in the UK and in Canada, before returning to start his business in the UK.

I could not tell you but great celebrities and politicians were wearing them before that on red carpet (keira knightley, Gwyneth paltrow, Michelle Obama, Samantha Cameron amongst others were wearing erdem back in 2009/2010, Sarah jessica Parker, Sienna Miller were seen in Beulah early 2011, Angelina Jolie, Sandra Bullock for JP..) so it seems a bit farfetched that Mary and other european princesses would miss out such new trendy brands and wait only for Kate to discover them..

It may well be that some US celebrities and wives of politicians may well have been wearing brands like Erdem prior to 2011, but my point remains, I do not believe any European royal ladies were.

Similarly for Jenny Packham. The business had been around for many years, but its substantial expansion, the establishment of its atelier on Mount Street and inroads into the wardrobes of European royal ladies all seem to have happened in this decade.

I agree with you in that whilst it is not only just down to Kate wearing these brands, but my opinion remains that the extra visibility that her patronage of these brands gets goes a long way in lifting their profile.

maybe not erdem which has been a established brand for long, but beulah and jenny packam were rather unheard and niche before kate started wearing them. that is not to say that other european ladies would not have discovered these brands if kate wasn't in the picture, but the fact that we saw more european royals wearing these brands after kate had done makes me think there was a bit of the kate effect going on.

Indeed.

Beautiful dress!
the color works great on her.

Love the dress and shoes. Loathe the bumpy bouffant hairdo!

I liked the dress the first time around and it still looks great on her.

The hairstyle looks better from a distance than close up. When I zoomed in on the first photo and saw the details I wasn’t really keen on how the front and back parts of her hair have been divided. But then I assume most people she met in person weren’t zooming in so they could get a better look at her hair. Or at least hopefully they weren’t! :)

I’m not keen on this evening dress, not one of her better outfits.

Agree , Mary looks wonderful the gown together with the jewels, stunning.

She looks beautiful. The velvet and rich color makes it so festive.

Ruby Necklace and Collar are too much, such as Princess Benedike big pearls..

The dress itself doesn't bring anything new… Besides she has too much jewells upon her… Nope! She can do much better!!!

To much jewellery? You can never wear to much jewellery.

The dress is lovely. Not a fan of velvet, reminds me of elementary Christmas concert. But the colour and style of gown are beautiful.

The Desiree Clary ruby set made for Napoleon Bonapartes coronation in 1804 has had a few design changes over the last 216 years. Worn by many Queens of Sweden and Denmark.
The Crown Princess has pared back the bling last night by wearing the ruby necklace not in its original form, but with the ruby and diamond swag drops removed. Also the ruby and diamond corsage brooch is worn without the drop.
So when a country owns a magnificent historic parure the people want to see it worn. And Mary as Crown Princess has always worn it well in many various ways. Especially in regards to the beautiful event that this eveing calls for.

I forgot to mention the ruby earrings. Last night the Crown Princess wore a much shortened version as in its original state the earrings are a substantial 3 drop French design.
So Mary has worn the whole parure in a much pared back look.

I forgot to mention the ruby earrings. Last night the Crown Princess wore a much shortened version as in its original state the earrings are a substantial 3 drop French design.

She wears them now only very rarely in it's orginal girandole form and prefers this smaller version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom