"William and Harry" by Katie Nicholl (2010) plus Member Q&A with Author

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
'William and Harry"
Katie Nicholl
to be released 3 June 2010

William and Harry is a fascinating insight into the lives and loves of two extraordinary young men who have captured not only the hearts and minds of not only the British public, but those the world over. This is the definitive book about the princes, bringing their story right up to date. It is the tale of two brothers who have carried the legacy of their mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, into the twenty-first century and on whom the future of the House of Windsor largely depends.

Drawing on her unique set of contacts Katie Nicholl recounts the royal brothers' extraordinary lives and reveals William and Harry's real characters as they become front line soldiers and modern princes. Through her network of sources, some of whom have agreed to speak for the very first time, Katie tells the story of one of Prince William's earliest romances, and his struggle with his destiny as a future King of England.

As a royal wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton seems more probable, Katie has spoken to a wealth of contacts close to the couple who reveal how their love affair really started at St Andrews, the hurdles the pair overcame and the challenges they still face. She recounts the story of Harry's time at Eton, his relationship with Chelsy Davy, and his three months he spent on the front line in Afghanistan. She analyses William and Harry's complex relationship with their father, and the woman who will one day become Queen Camilla. She talks to their friends, contemporaries and confidants to paint a unique and revealing portrait of the two most famous brothers in the world.

Katie Nicholl has been writing about the British Royal Family for nearly a decade. She is the royal correspondent for the Mail on Sunday where she also edits her incredibly popular and respected eponymous weekly column of which Prince Harry is a regular reader. In conjunction with her successful print career Katie also works as a commentator on Sky News, the BBC and the Today Show on CBS in America. She lives with her husband in North London.

Random House: Book Details for William and Harry

Attachments

• William and Harry.jpg
    William and Harry.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 1,776
Last edited:
"William and Harry" by Katie Nicholl 2010 (to be released 3 June)

Lovely Rose Farquhar was Prince William's first love...Kate Middleton was The One | Mail Online

It was the night of the annual Don't Walk charity fashion show - March 27, 2002 - during Prince William's second semester at St Andrews university, when it hit him.
As Kate Middleton shimmied down the catwalk, William, 19, turned to his friend Fergus Boyd. 'Wow, Fergus,' he whispered. 'Kate's hot!

However, Kate was not William's first love. A girl called Rose Farquhar had stolen his heart during the summer after he left Eton in 2000. Rose was the beautiful daughter of Captain Ian Farquhar, master of the Beaufort Hunt, and she and William had known each other since they were children.

I don't know who Rose Farquhar is.

This NEW book sounds really good, I am sure there will be lots of interest in it.

A nice positive story today ... after the oh so disappointing greedy Duchess of York who has let herself down. As one of Jane Austen's fine gentlemen would say ... BADLY DONE SARAH!

Me neither. Wasn't Alexandra Knatchbull once called his "first crush"? Oh dear, there seem to have been a lot of "first loves". :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm interesting timing on this latest Daily Mail article about a book written about William and Kate's relationship. My inbuilt radar is going off .... there could be something to this. I think the paparazzi attention on Kate is going to intensify somewhat over the coming weeks.

I wonder where did all the photos come from? Looks like someone is not that loyal in William's circle.

I have never heard of this Rose person.

I have always questioned Kate's ability to tell a story straight. She tends to write on emotion not caring if the facts are straight. So I will wait until this book hits the bargain bin.

I do agree with you Sonjapearl. These are some new photos that I have never seen before....I wonder if this person is no longer a part of Williams crew...or they know something that we don't know and realize that they can get a pretty penny before an announcement is made.

I do agree with you Sonjapearl. These are some new photos that I have never seen before....I wonder if this person is no longer a part of Williams crew...or they know something that we don't know and realize that they can get a pretty penny before an announcement is made.

Agreed Zonk. My radar says something is up. :flowers:

Maybe something is up, maybe something isn't. Its likely not a coincidence that KN has a book coming out around the same time as William and Kate are rumored to announce their engagement.

But at the same time, KN has a reputation as not always being reliable. Methinks she's just looking to appear reliable by publishing this book.

Mine as well. Katie Nicholl is being positive about Kate. Reminds be of what happened in the opposite case with MAJESTY MAGAZINE. Once Diana was separated from Charles, the articles became more negative about her. And once the divorce happened, it got really nasty.

Agreed Zonk. My radar says something is up. :flowers:

Q&A with royal author Katie Nicholl, May 2010

In concert with Random House publishing, we are delighted to offer our members an opportunity to ask Katie Nicholl, author of the soon to be released book WILLIAM AND HARRY questions on this subject.

Members may post one question each to this thread and 5 will be selected and responded to by Katie Nicholl. Those 5 members will also receive a copy of the new book. We are very excited that our community has this opportunity and hope that you will make Katie feel welcome. Here is a press release about the upcoming publication that may help you craft your question.

WILLIAM AND HARRY
Katie Nicholl

William and Harry is a fascinating insight into the lives and loves of two extraordinary young men who have captured not only the hearts and minds of not only the British public, but those the world over. This is the definitive book about the princes, bringing their story right up to date. It is the tale of two brothers who have carried the legacy of their mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, into the twenty-first century and on whom the future of the House of Windsor largely depends.

Drawing on her unique set of contacts Katie Nicholl recounts the royal brothers' extraordinary lives and reveals William and Harry's real characters as they become front line soldiers and modern princes. Through her network of sources, some of whom have agreed to speak for the very first time, Katie tells the story of one of Prince William's earliest romances, and his struggle with his destiny as a future King of England.

As a royal wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton seems more probable, Katie has spoken to a wealth of contacts close to the couple who reveal how their love affair really started at St Andrews, the hurdles the pair overcame and the challenges they still face. She recounts the story of Harry's time at Eton, his relationship with Chelsy Davy, and his three months he spent on the front line in Afghanistan. She analyses William and Harry's complex relationship with their father, and the woman who will one day become Queen Camilla. She talks to their friends, contemporaries and confidants to paint a unique and revealing portrait of the two most famous brothers in the world.

Katie Nicholl has been writing about the British Royal Family for nearly a decade. She is the royal correspondent for the Mail on Sunday where she also edits her incredibly popular and respected eponymous weekly column of which Prince Harry is a regular reader. In conjunction with her successful print career Katie also works as a commentator on Sky News, the BBC and the Today Show on CBS in America. She lives with her husband in North London.

Random House: Book Details for William and Harry

Publication date : 3 Jun 2010

We will take questions until Friday the 28th at which time this thread will be closed. Responses will be posted the following week. Special thanks to the good people at Random House for helping put this together.

Attachments

• William and Harry.jpg
    William and Harry.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 2,065
Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, it's not often that a major publishing house approaches the Forums with such an offer.
Accordingly, posts which are deemed impolite to the author or irrelevant to the subject will be removed by the moderators.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation in contributing serious and thoughtful questions to this thread.
If the Q&A is successful, Random House and/or other publishing houses may be encouraged to include TRF members in future offers.

Warren
TRF Admin

The article consisted largely of direct quotations from the book so I'd imagine that any retraction or apology due to "unsubstantiated claims and lies" would fall firstly on the book's publisher, Random House, and not the Daily Mail which merely printed an excerpt.

Last edited:
What a surprise!

Depending on the relevance to the book I guess, my question to the author is...

HRH Prince William's recent stint in Australia could largely be considered a successful PR move, for which both Clarence House and Buckingham Palace were somewhat takenaback; perhaps even delighted with I'd endeavour to suggest. It would therefore be of interest to me, and perhaps others, to learn about William's overall reaction to the enthusiasm with which he was greeted, and indeed what Buckingham Palace made of it, aswell.

I'm not sure if that reads as a question, but it's certainly intended as one.

My question:

Do you think Will and Kate are really secretly engaged or whatever? I'm just curious because the media seems convinced there's going to be wedding but I don't think they would plan anything before telling the public about the engagement. As someone who's researched William and Harry a lot, what do you think? If they aren't engaged now, will they ever get engaged?

What a great idea!

My question is quite simple: I wonder if Prince Harry ever had any problems with his position being No. 2 and the idea that Prince William will be most likely King one day. Any rivalries? I remember hearing something like that years ago but I considered it to be just gossip.

Thanks! :flowers:

I'm curious about their preparation for the job of being king. I remember reading back when William was at Eton that he spent time with the Queen learning about the role of monarch, but I haven't seen anything on that aspect of his education since he was a schoolboy. Does he understand how the government works and what his constitutional role would be? Does he ever take official meetings with members of the government?

What about Harry? Although he's slightly less likely to become king, has he been prepared for this possibility? Has he been educated sufficiently to step into the role of king tomorrow, if need be?

I love this idea! Here goes with my question.

With a set of parents such as Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales, both of the Princes carry the best of both of their parents with them. What influences/traits do you see Prince William and Prince Harry exhibiting during their adult Royal duties and why?

Dear Katie

I’m just wondering. It’s not so farfetched to think that in ten years time William will be King. What will happen to the business of Kate's relatives?
I can already see the headlines: “Carole did it again!”. If we look how easy it is to trick somebody like The duchess of York in a “cash for access” drama. Will Kate’s family not also be a prey for these sort of journalists? How will the royal family handle that?
Perhaps not only Kate is trained in her future role, but also her family?
Do you think it will be easy to maintain their current business activities (PartyPieces, cake bakery …) once Kate is Princess of Wales or even Queen.
No offence (They are hardworking people, and there’s nothing wrong with that!!) but will it not be weird that the parents of The Queen of the United Kingdom will be selling children’s party goods and her brother cupcakes??
I have no problem with that of course but I think it will make them vulnerable.
What do you think is the opinion of the British aristocracy to this?

Sorry for my English!
Greetings and good luck with your book!

I'm sorry but it is rather far-fetched to assume that in ten years, HM Elizabeth will have died and shortly followed by Charles allowing William to take the throne. IF William marries Kate or whoever he marries, there families will always be prey to the press. Nothing the royal family can do about it. But I don't think Diana or Sarah's family were particularly harrassed when they were married to their husbands.

My Questions:
1. Why do you think William has stayed with one girl all his life?
2. Do you think it is feasable that Harry will marry first?
3. Would you rather William be King rather than Charles?
4. Why do you choose now to release the book?

:previous:
You'll find that the publisher determines a book's release date, not the author.

I'm sorry but it is rather far-fetched to assume that in ten years, HM Elizabeth will have died and shortly followed by Charles allowing William to take the throne. IF William marries Kate or whoever he marries, there families will always be prey to the press. Nothing the royal family can do about it. But I don't think Diana or Sarah's family were particularly harrassed when they were married to their husbands.

Perhaps ... but William will definitely have an important role.:flowers:
I would think it to be unwise not to take actions to protect her family. The press is more agressive than in Diana and Fergie's time.
I just wondered if Kate's family is checked like the family of Princess Micheal of Kent...

:previous:
You'll find that the publisher determines a book's release date, not the author.

In which case the question should be more along the lines of Why did you write this book now?

My questions would be 'Will this have anything new or will it just rehash what is already known about the princes, their relationships with each other, their parents, their partners etc?'

My question:

Do you think Will and Kate are really secretly engaged or whatever? I'm just curious because the media seems convinced there's going to be wedding but I don't think they would plan anything before telling the public about the engagement. As someone who's researched William and Harry a lot, what do you think? If they aren't engaged now, will they ever get engaged?
I can tell you what katie will say to your last question. Of course she will say "yes" as she's been peddling this relationship for a long time as most of the press has. She's not going to all of sudden contradict herself. According to the excerpt from her book she implies that they will.
I personally don't put any stock in what she says.

My Questions:
1. Why do you think William has stayed with one girl all his life?
2. Do you think it is feasable that Harry will marry first?
3. Would you rather William be King rather than Charles?
4. Why do you choose now to release the book?

Members may post one question, as Andy R made known at the top of the page ;)

So which will it be?

Katie Nicholl-

Are Prince William and Ms Middleton, after the Prince finishes training, going to get married and live married on base in Wales?

Can not wait to read your book.

I saw you on the Joy Behar show recently talking out the Duchess of York. I really like that show:flowers:

I suppose the only question I have is what sort of king does William want to be?

William paid 20 pounds not 200 pounds for a ticket at St Andrew's Don't Walk fashion show!

Is it possible for William to become the King of England instead of Charles?

Back
Top Bottom