”Victoria – Drottning med tiden” by Herman Lindqvist (2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Her_Majesty

Moderator Emeritus
City
Munich
Country
Germany
I would like to read that book, but it's rather not to buy in polish bookshops in polish language, I suppose. I am looking forward to weddings both swedish princesses. Great event.

I've just create new social group: if you like Victoria, join us:)

Oh,I was looking forward to reading a book about Victoria.I'm so glad it's coming out before her wedding!The author seems close to the SRF,he was Victoria's history teacher after all.I hope he's as close to the truth as possible!

Wll the book be available in English language, too?

Does someone know if the book will be released in English, too?
It would be great to read the whole story in Victorias words and to learn about the truth. Not only to read the rumours we always get in our German magazines.

:previous: I took it for granted :cool: Don't tell me it won't be translated!!
It will be such a pity if the book is finally published in Sweden only.

Thank you for the article,Dazzling!I'm a bit disappointed that the book focuses mainly on her relationship with Daniel-I didn't notice this before-I thought there would be more than that.But I'm still eager to read it.

Victoria's book

I don't know if the proposition is still OK but I would be very interested by some English translations about the content of the book from Lundqvist
Thanks!

Does anyone know of any shops or bookstores in Manhattan that sell Swedish royal books like this one? I'm heading to NYC next week.

Has the book been printed in English yet?

Interview with Herman Lindqvist about the book.
"Victoria har förlåtit sina föräldrar" - Cecilia Hagen - Expressen.se
I'd like to read it in English-has anyone ordered it and is it worth it?

I did. Overall, I was a bit disappointed- it was shorter than I expected, had rather simplistic text (but maybe that had to do with the translation?), and didn't go into any of the topics in any significant detail, IMO. (For instance, pretty much everything Victoria said about Daniel was covered in articles published when the book came out.)

However, I am a relatively new follower of Victoria and the SRF so most of what I read was new to me (I sometimes got the impression it would mostly be "old news" for more knowledgeable people). And there definitely WAS some interesting information- nice quotes, funny anecdotes, etc.

Hmm, I'm not sure how much I've actually helped ("I was disappointed, but it was good..."). Sorry! :sad: I guess it depends on what your expectations are and what information you are hoping to get from the book. If it's something specific you (or anyone on the board) is looking for, I could just post some relevant excerpts.

If it's something specific you (or anyone on the board) is looking for, I could just post some relevant excerpts.

Hi thanks for your reply. I'm particularly interested in Victoria's childhood since we know a lot about her public life as an adult. For instance, I liked the anecdote about her preferring that her nanny rather than the King accompanying her to school picnics because there would be a great fuss. It would be great if you could summarise some interesting parts if you have time. Thanks :)

I liked the anecdote about her preferring that her nanny rather than the King accompanying her to school picnics because there would be a great fuss. It would be great if you could summarise some interesting parts if you have time. Thanks :)

Victoria talks a fair bit in the book about one nanny in particular, who was called “Nenne.” Nenne also took care of the King and his sisters when they were little, and was in her 60s when Victoria was born, so Victoria looked at her as a grandmother.

Victoria was very attached to her pacifiers (or “dummies,” as the book translates it) when she was little and stubborn about giving them up. One day while on a boat she asked if fish had pacifiers, and I guess the King and Queen decided to take advantage of the situation:

'No,” they answered. “We feel sorry for the fish. Can’t you give them your dummies?

’Of course,' I said, and threw all my dummies into the sea- just to make the fish happy.

I soon regretted what I had done. It was a disaster at bedtime. I was very unhappy and so angry with my parents that I refused to sleep where my mother and father slept. I demanded to go to Nenne. She was the only person who was kind to me.”

So the King had to carry a hysterical Victoria, in the middle of the night, all the way to the other side of the palace where Nenne had her own apartment. Ironically, Victoria later colluded with the nanny (not sure if was the same one) to trick Madeleine into giving up her pacifiers, which Madeleine never knew (though I guess the cat is out of the bag now :lol:) and which Victoria says she still has a “bad conscience” over.

I read it this summer when my mum borrowed it at the library, well reading was saying to much, the book is mostly pictures anyway:) I liked the picture where she opens the castlegate, you can see how big her muscles are.

Victoria was very attached to her pacifiers (or “dummies,” as the book translates it) when she was little and stubborn about giving them up. One day while on a boat she asked if fish had pacifiers, and I guess the King and Queen decided to take advantage of the situation:

'No,” they answered. “We feel sorry for the fish. Can’t you give them your dummies?

’Of course,' I said, and threw all my dummies into the sea- just to make the fish happy.

I soon regretted what I had done. It was a disaster at bedtime. I was very unhappy and so angry with my parents that I refused to sleep where my mother and father slept. I demanded to go to Nenne. She was the only person who was kind to me.”

That's hilarious! Thank you. She was very generous in giving her pacifiers to the fish!

I would really like to purchase the English version of this book but I have not been able to find a way to get it! Does anyone know of where a US citizen can get it? Thanx so much!

:previous: I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she said something along those lines.:whistling:

:previous: I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she said something along those lines.:whistling:
But in public? I'm just surprised as I haven't read anything about it.

SAKPROSA | Herman Lindqvist: Victoria, drottning med tiden
Here's another article. Did Princess Birgitta really say publically that Daniel wasn't good enough for her and that Victoria couldn't afford to put love first (or something along those lines)?

The book quotes an interview Birgitta apparently gave to a German newspaper (no name or date given), in which she said "Victoria is going to be Queen. It is not possible for her to indulge in her great love." The book doesn't mention her saying anything about Daniel specifically- it would be interesting to read the whole original interview.

The book also describes a radio interview Birgitta gave in 2009, talking about a man she met at the 1960 Rome Olympics, who was "the great love of her life"- but she married Prince Johan Georg anyway, because he was more "suitable." So perhaps there is a bit of "sour grapes" coloring her perspective on this issue...

Back
Top Bottom