"The Serpent and The Moon" by HRH Princess Michael of Kent (2004)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiaraprin

Royal Highness
City
Near NY City
Country
United States
I just finished reading The Serpent and The Moon and was shocked at how good it really was. Princess Michael actually did a good job, but I disagreed with her about the degree Catherine de Medici was dabbling in witchcraft. Leonie Frieda's book gives a smaller role to this activity by Catherine de Medici.

If you have read the book, what do you have to say about it?

Re:

I've got a signed copy of 'The Serpent' but I've got to admit - I've never read it. Maybe I will give it a try!

I read it too. it's good. its just a bit dense, at times reads a bit like a college research paper. I think sometimes she can't see the forest for the trees.

but in general its very informative. and the introduction is great.

I was also fascinated by the family tree showing how Princess M is descended from both women. her lineage is amazing.

It might be a bit late to reply to that post, but I have just finished to read the french translation, and I thouh the book really interesting.

La lune et le serpent
Princesse Michael de Grèce
JC Lattès
ISBN/ 2-7096-2667-5

I read it too. it's good. its just a bit dense, at times reads a bit like a college research paper. I think sometimes she can't see the forest for the trees.

but in general its very informative. and the introduction is great.

I was also fascinated by the family tree showing how Princess M is descended from both women. her lineage is amazing.

I read the book and I enjoyed it, even though it dragged in some places. I am bored with all the tedious descriptions of wars and battles.

Princess Michael has an impressive lineage indeed, but I am amused at how she goes out of her way during interviews to promote the book and in the book's forward to point out her descent from Diane de Poitiers(who she obviously admires a lot) but plays down her lineage from Catherine de Medici....not that I blame her I guess LOL!

La lune et le serpent
Princesse Michael de Grèce
JC Lattès
ISBN/ 2-7096-2667-5
Does she call herself Princess Michael of Greece? or did I interpret it wrongly?

I actually bought her book "crowned in a far country" or something like that, it was really dry and informative, not in any way deep or food for thought:ermm:

Her title

Her title is hrh princes michael of kent.
Because she is married to prince michael of kent,
Youngest son of a duke of the royal blood.

I quite enjoyed this book & found it well researched,Princess Michael seems to have a passion for writing about formidable matriarchs!

I read "Serpent" when it was first published some years back. I must say I was amused at HRH's non too subtle hints in the forward about how she feels so connected to her ancestress Diane de Poitiers, at the same time she glosses over the fact that she is also descended from the rather sinister Catherine de Medicis!;)

But it was a indeed a very enjoyable read. I was able to lose myself in my favorite period.

I read "Serpent" when it was first published some years back. I must say I was amused at HRH's non too subtle hints in the forward about how she feels so connected to her ancestress Diane de Poitiers, at the same time she glosses over the fact that she is also descended from the rather sinister Catherine de Medicis!;)

Yes I remember looking at Marie Christine's family tree in the and her de la Tour d'Auvergne ancestors including Catherine & her French mother Madeleine de la Tour d'Auvergne.

Back
Top Bottom