"The Duchess: The Untold Story" by Penny Junor (2017) [Duchess of Cornwall]

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but - well really, I'm not sayng Charles was innocent.. clearly he had faults and was to blame for the end of the marriage.. but would you, really go public with a lot of stuff about your ex that wasn't really true? esp if he was a public figure and this stuff would harm his reputation? of course there are times in any marriage even if it does't come to divorce, that there are "bad times" and we see our partners through angry lenses.. but we dont usually publicise it.

Frankly, at the time, if I thought going public with "my story" would send a few poisoned darts towards my ex husband, I most certainly would have knowing my state of mind towards him at the time. As it was, no one would have been interested at all in "my story" because its a story that happens to a million people all over the world. Diana was in the public eye and adored by millions so that's why it worked for her.

We're kind of deviating from the topic of the recent Junor book and Camilla. Perhaps the mods could move the Charles and Di thoughts to the Charles and Di thread?

Tangents. They spew off in all other directions when you least expect them. :)

Well, I'm certainly not lying!

I pre-ordered the book a couple of days ago and It came in my Kindle shortly after midnight today, the 29th June 2017, which is when it was set for release.

Chapter 1 The Problem. (In which Penny Junor goes to Poundbery to see the Queen and Prince Philip and Charles and Camilla at 'Charles's town' and talks about his parents' consistent lack of praise for their son.)

Chapter 2 Debs' Delight. Talks about Camilla meeting Andrew PB.

Chapter 3 Medals not Money. is about Camilla's father's family background.

Chapter 4 History. I haven't read it yet.

Chapter 1 begins 'Thick early morning fog... as Penny makes her way to the town Charles created and she writes about its beginning.

Where did I say you were lying?

I am just posting a link and saying what Amazon has on their site. Not available till March 2018

LaRae

That's Amazon in in US. UK Amazon is June 29, 2017

I saw the same thing. The release date in the US is March 2018. Its being released today in the UK and available for UK customers on Amazon UK. Curryong is in Australia and as its part of the Commonwealth, probably eligible for the UK release date.

At this writing it was still the 28th in my neck of the woods and 5 hours later in the UK and already the 29th in Australia. :D

Last edited:
It confirms her state of mind, but IMO its pretty shaky on the facts about her marriage. If you do know a bit more, you can see that she was REALLY a bit "crazy" at the time.. with the whole "throwing herself downstairs" story etc.
I feel uncomfortable because I feel that the book really is a giant ret-con and that Di was fibbing or misremembering wildly. If she was lying deliberately she was well lying.. if she was not remembering too well, she was clearly not in a good place mentally.

She, probably, was a bit crazy at that time. Her husband had a long time mistress he really loved and her marriage was a sham. And lying was not a one sided thing in this marriage. Charles, lied with the best of them. And Camilla was not a victim either. She was Charles mistress and Andrews wife. Andrew could have said, he had only had one wife to lay lay for his country.

I'm sorry, Pranter.
I am indeed in Australia, and I'm reading The Duchess at the moment. I wonder why that release date for the US is SO much later than other English-speaking countries. Perhaps they don't think there's much interest. It's probably been released in Canada, though.

Just a silly question here about The Book.......does anyone think the perhaps Penny Junor will now work on another book to be released this time next year, the same book with a different cover and a few different words and still nothing will be said new for it is all just a rehashed of yesteryear?:whistling:

Actually, I think her next book that will focus on a member of the BRF will maybe be Kate. And then... maybe after that, Meghan if she marries Harry.

I don't think Junor has ever really written two biographies before of the same person. She, however may in the years to come write a book on Charles and Camilla's marriage. She's written a biography on Diana and also a book on Charles and Diana's marriage. As I stated before, the woman has 22 published books to her credit.

:previous:
JMO, I think the woman has a problem when it comes to Diana and Camilla. Besides I personally do not think she is that good an author......IMO, this smells of the old time thing called money....timing is everything in my book...:ROFLMAO::lol:

Last edited:
There are biographers I like and biographers I don't like. Same thing with vegetables. I read them all though if I'm interested in the subject matter though. I can't reject something unless I know what I'm rejecting. ;)

BTW: If any author had to depend on what I pay for their books to earn a living, I'd suggest they all get a secondary job. I'm cheap. :D

Last edited:
When I was young I used to haunt second hand book shops, many of them run by little old men who didn't seem to know what they were doing for much of the time. Most of those sort of book stores have gone but the memory of the bargains I picked up there are linger on. I bought many detective stories (my fetish) and some books on European royalty in such locales, and only one such shop remains nearby. However, there's always Kindle!

Last edited:
:previous:
Ah.........Books, they fill my heart with songs........the more the better I say. I have lots of books by one of my favorite authors, Sally Bedell Smith on the BRF......love her books. And like you if an author depended on me for money, he better have more then 2 jobs...........I scrounge around for books everywhere.:)

So if you buy this book by PJ, please give me a heads up on what you think as I trust your judgement.:flowers:

When I was young I used to haunt second hand book shops, many of them run by little old men who didn't seem to know what they were doing for much of the time. Most of those sort of book stores have gone but the memory of the bargains I picked up there are linger on. I bought many detective stories (my fetish) and some books on European royalty in such locales, and only one such shop remains nearby. However, there's always Kindle!

Oh you brought back some great memories that I have about those little dusty book stores, I so loved them as a kid, and that started my love affair with books.

For me personally, I have to have a real hard copy in hand and I guard my books like the crown jewels of the BRF......Thank you for the memories Curryong.....:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually been walking through a mall with the hubby and once, passed by a Waldenbooks store without even glancing at it. Hubby put his head on my forehead in concern that I was sick or something. He's never known me to bypass a book store before. Thanks both of you for the memories of browsing old used bookstores.

I'm just going to shut up now and listen to Curryong. She's actually in the process of reading The Duchess as we speak. :D

I totally agree.

I think Charles and Camilla and their camp should stop all of this self-promoting activity and just let this anniversary happen without fighting it.
but - well really, I'm not saying Charles was innocent.. clearly he had faults and was to blame for the end of the marriage.. but would you, really go public with a lot of stuff about your ex that wasn't really true? esp if he was a public figure and this stuff would harm his reputation? of course there are times in any marriage even if it doesn't come to divorce, that there are "bad times" and we see our partners through angry lenses.. but we dont usually publicise it.
Leopoldine, Penny Junor wrote and has released it for exactly the same reason that Morton is re-releasing yet another updated anniversary edition of Diana: Her True Story . . . MONEY! It has nothing to do with Charles and Camilla and when you think about it, it has the ability to drive a wedge between he and his sons. Camilla has never done anything publically that would impact on Charles, William and Harry. It is absolutely NOT in any way in her best interests to have facilitated this book.

I'm sorry, Pranter.
I am indeed in Australia, and I'm reading The Duchess at the moment. I wonder why that release date for the US is SO much later than other English-speaking countries. Perhaps they don't think there's much interest. It's probably been released in Canada, though.

No worries....yeah makes sense it would be released first overseas...can't be near as much interest here in the States.

I'll just have to wait till it's out here!

LaRae

Marg:
I totally agree with your comment that this book is all about money, the fact that it came out NOW for that says timing by the publishers and the author. And maybe another 15 minutes of fame would help the book sales. And I have never in my life heard or read anything that Camilla has done to make trouble for Charles and the boys and why would she? She is a mature lady married to a man she clearly loves and is in a very public position in life who knows her way around the world and the royal family so why would anyone think she would do that?

So maybe we will see another book by Penny Junor about the same royal family next year or in 5 years time with a different cover with the same story inside.

er maybe not Charles but some would say that by having an affair with their father, Camilla did make the boys unhappy...

BookDepository has it for $30.85. It would be quite a bit less in US dollars (unless we unearth huge gold deposits overnight). They don't charge for shipping anywhere in the world as far as I know.

er maybe not Charles but some would say that by having an affair with their father, Camilla did make the boys unhappy...

Lets not drag past events into this thread please? We actually have no idea whatsoever of what *any* members of the BRF felt happy or unhappy about.

The more I read about this book, the more I know that it has gone onto my "must read" list but knowing me, it'll be a while before I purchase it. The spirit is willing but the pocketbook is cheap. I find it an extravagance if I pay over $4 (USD) for a book.

Even the worse of biographers cannot, in all honesty, state what the effects of certain events in a life made them think or state what the cast of characters felt unless they have a source to go by. With this book, we'll get points of view from the family and friends of Camilla's that Penny Junor has talked with to get information. A biographer may be able to state "X was heartbroken" because the person interviewed received a letter from X at the time. It would discredit the whole work should a biographer state "X's children have carried scars from this merry-go-round of bed hopping" without having a credible source or even talking to the children herself. I've read enough biographies by Junor to know that she doesn't treat the people she writes about this way.

To be honest, what really is a hallmark for me with a biography is the list of sources. If a book contains a lot of "a source close to the palace" or "a person high up in the royal court" or "a close friend", it is not a statement to be taken as gospel. Some people may very well want to remain anonymous but when anonymous sources are the gist of the quotes, it brings the entire biography into question for me.

Curryong, as you're reading the book right now, what is your take on the sources contained in the book?

Osipi it's not even available for us in the US (amazon) until March of 2018 according to their website....I've got it on my wish list.

LaRae

Osipi it's not even available for us in the US (amazon) until March of 2018 according to their website....I've got it on my wish list.

LaRae

Sigh... I know. That means even after the release date I'll be waiting even longer for it. I was extravagant though in the last couple of days. I ordered the new Bedell Smith biography of Charles and paid $10 with extra shipping and handling. Usually the books I buy are around $4 with free shipping. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Osipi I have that one on my wish list too (Charles) waiting for the price drop <G>

I use my Kindle a lot nowdays, I have tons of real books (I donate boxes to libraries) and have decided to mostly buy everything on Kindle except for certain authors, I still buy the hardbacks for some.

LaRae

We need a bookaholic support group thread here somewhere methinks. :lol:

HA...most definately...I refuse to even consider how much I've spend on books the last 30 years...

LaRae

Several posts discussing Diana's affairs have been removed. This is a thread about the new book on the Duchess of Cornwall - Diana's affairs have nothing to do with that topic.

I've finished reading it now. One thing that does come through loud and clear is that this is a book about Camilla. Those who buy it thinking that Junor will immediately plunge into Charles and Camilla's adultery and that she will unhesitatingly take Charles and Camila's side might be surprised. (There are parts that I, as a Diana supporter do take objection to, however there are criticisms of Charles by Junor too, specifically involving emotional deafness to his young fiancee's insecurities.)

The first eight chapters don't even mention Diana. It begins with a visit Penny makes to Poundbery, the town made reality by Charles's dreams. Penny observes a visit to the town by the Queen and Prince Philip in which the royal couple maintain a non-committal response to all they've seen, save for one little gesture by Philip.

This feeds into Junor's narrative, maintained throughout the book, that Charles was left emotionally stunted by his father's bullying, his mother's detachment, to the point of weakness, of tremendous neediness, which could only be assuaged by Camilla's love and uncritical support. She says quite late in the book that Camilla is the stronger of the two in the relationship.

However, apart from Charles's introduction to Camilla and his early dating of her while Andrew was away, he doesn't loom large in the first eight chapters. Junor is very uncomplimentary about Andrew Parker-Bowles whom she describes at various times as cold, offhand, snobbish, cruel and a womaniser. He is the Debs Delight of the title of the second chapter, and perhaps the Stuffed Stoat (an in-joke reference to the title of Chapter 6.)

The reader really gets a feeling for where Camilla comes from in this book. Her parents and their backgrounds are described, (her paternal grandfather was much-married and her father didn't really have much to do with him.) Her mother's family, the Cubitts, had money. The story of Alice Keppel and her daughter Violet Trefusis, (Camilla's great-aunt) and her love for Vita Sackville West is re-told.

Camilla had an ideal childhood, and the special bond between herself and her father, siblings, her parents' very happy marriage, their sociability, the ponies Camilla was obsessed by and her sprawling childhood home are fondly described.
Junor emphasises that Camilla's great self-confidence arises from those happy, golden years.

Also quite interesting to read about is her early if patchy education at a country boarding school, rather eccentrically run. Junor remarks that her education there and later at a Kensington boarding school left her unambitious, just wanting an upper middleclass life in the country like her mother, with horses and dogs and children.

Camilla discovered boys in her mid-teens, but apart from saying that Camilla and her friends enjoyed drinks and parties Junor writes that they weren't really part of the Swinging Sixties. She draws a discreet veil over who these boyfriends were, and indeed throughout the book she often doesn't name sources.

It is only in Chapter nine, after Camilla has married the womanising Andrew and settled down at Bolehyde (a house again lovingly described, perhaps by Camilla herself) and has her children that Charles's and the Parker-Bowles lives start to really intermingle once more, and Camilla becomes increasingly restless and unhappy.

All in all, the first eight chapters or so contained some material that I found was new and interesting. Ditto for the last four chapters or so of the book in which Camilla's charities and interest in the arts is explored. So plenty there besides the inevitable triangle!

Last edited:
@Curryong

Sounds good, I will need to reserve this at the library. Normally I avoid Junor's books but this sounds like a good quality piece of research and a long overdue addition to the literature on the subject. I wonder if Andrew Morton is still going to do his version?

Thanks much for the synopsis of the book Curryong. I'm happy to hear that the book did, for the majority of it, focus solely on Camilla. It most definitely will be added to my library somewhere down the line. I was really hoping that the "triangle" wouldn't be the major draw of the book. That's been done to death.

Back
Top Bottom